Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2015, 19:40   #721
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
Elantra pre-face lift has audio controls on the rear arm rest. Does anyone know if it is just a remote control (requiring a change of battery when it drains out) which is mounted on the arm rest? Or is it actually wired from underneath to the dashboard?

All the AVN upgrade reviews for Fludic Elantra I have come across have one thing in common - the rear seat audio controls dont function after the upgrade.

This makes me suspect if this is just a remote control set-up under the garb of arm-rest mounted wired controls. If it is the latter, it assures me that I can wait and Hyundai will eventually develop an AVN which will not ignore the utility of arm rest controls. If it a remote control, then it just shows Hyundai has not thought ahead of times in desiging this.

It's not a remote. It definitely is connected by wires. At the time of purchase in 2013, I changed the head unit to a Mega Audio 7 inch touch screen. All the controls work in my car,including the rear seat controls.
This system was installed by the dealer.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 8th August 2015 at 19:41.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 05:35   #722
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

My input -- exactly as per "rumours" and "whispers" .. My Fluidic Elantra 2012 clutch gave up at approx 45000 km and had to replaced for approx 45000 Rs ! (With some minor parts being salvaged by Capital Hyundai guys at Noida)...
Although as said many times on clutch wear and tear.. The poor girl has to suffer the worst possible stop-go traffic on the horrible roads of Ghaziabad, so I don't really blame Hyundai .
Old 9th August 2015, 07:15   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna View Post
My input -- exactly as per "rumours" and "whispers" .. My Fluidic Elantra 2012 clutch gave up at approx 45000 km and had to replaced for approx 45000 Rs ! (With some minor parts being salvaged by Capital Hyundai guys at Noida)...

Although as said many times on clutch wear and tear.. The poor girl has to suffer the worst possible stop-go traffic on the horrible roads of Ghaziabad, so I don't really blame Hyundai .

Could you share a copy of the invoice. The price looks extremely steep for a clutch replacement.
Old 9th August 2015, 08:06   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Elantra pre-face lift has audio controls on the rear arm rest. Does anyone know if it is just a remote control (requiring a change of battery when it drains out) which is mounted on the arm rest? Or is it actually wired from underneath to the dashboard?

All the AVN upgrade reviews for Fludic Elantra I have come across have one thing in common - the rear seat audio controls dont function after the upgrade.

This makes me suspect if this is just a remote control set-up under the garb of arm-rest mounted wired controls. If it is the latter, it assures me that I can wait and Hyundai will eventually develop an AVN which will not ignore the utility of arm rest controls. If it a remote control, then it just shows Hyundai has not thought ahead of times in desiging this.
Hi Bhaskar
the prefacelift model has wired controls and a coupler under the rear seat to connect it to the head unit. The elantra oversear already comes with an AVN however the quality is not the same as being offerred by Pioneer. Caska is another brand which has customised AVN for elantra as well as other cars, though is pricey and has its own share of woes.
Old 9th August 2015, 09:45   #725
BHPian

The clutch cost of 45000 included the dual mass flywheel ?
Old 9th August 2015, 10:41   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
I changed the head unit to a Mega Audio 7 inch touch screen. All the controls work in my car,including the rear seat controls.
This system was installed by the dealer.
Can you please share the HU model details? Also can you post a couple of pictures of Mega Audio head unit? Have you evaluated any other systems before settling for MA? Candidly speaking, what is the downside to having a MA in your car?
Old 9th August 2015, 13:29   #727
Senior - BHPian

Bhaskar I have had no issues with the Mega Audio set up for 2 years now. I am not a great music buff. The output is more than adequate and the quality is good. I have had the sound checked by a friend who is into music and there was a smile on his face.
I got it with Navitech maps and have now moved to Map my India.
It is better than the Caska on my friends Verna.
Not able to upload photos from my phone.
Says upload failure as the user may not have security permission.
Mods is there any issue with the setting. Pls assist.

Inbox your email. Will send it to you.
You can then upload the photos so that the rest may benefit.
Old 10th August 2015, 08:18   #728
BHPian

Very sorry friends ..the bill for the clutch repair was for 22544 ( alongside had got servicing done too ....adding a cost of 18684 , it was a TOTAL of 45 k approx!. )

Can't seem to attach 2 other pics in same post. So have to post seperately !

Attaching bill of the servicing in 2 pics.

Mods may please merge posts , I couldnt ! The other pic of service bill.

Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-image.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th August 2015 at 08:30.
Old 10th August 2015, 16:33   #729
BHPian

Sun Shades or Other Alternatives for Elantra?

Elantra comes pre-fitted with a solar glass (cheesy!) to block harmful UV rays from entering the cabin and also keeps the cabin cool - which it generally does. All six pieces of glass including the one at the front is a solar glass.

Now the problem with Elantra is the sloping roof at the back. And when you are out on a hot afernoon you get the feeling that sun god is mocking at your rear solar glass. The heat singes rear passengers' backs and no solar glass can save them from THAT!

I am desperately looking for reviews from fellow forum members who drive an Elantra and have found a robust, tenable solution (could be a sun shade) for this problem. Thanks.
Old 10th August 2015, 17:27   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Elantra comes pre-fitted with a solar glass (cheesy!) to block harmful UV rays from entering the cabin and also keeps the cabin cool - which it generally does. All six pieces of glass including the one at the front is a solar glass.

Now the problem with Elantra is the sloping roof at the back. And when you are out on a hot afernoon you get the feeling that sun god is mocking at your rear solar glass. The heat singes rear passengers' backs and no solar glass can save them from THAT!

I am desperately looking for reviews from fellow forum members who drive an Elantra and have found a robust, tenable solution (could be a sun shade) for this problem. Thanks.
Hi,
Best solution is to get the V-Kool sun reflective film. Its almost transparent, but cuts out heat.
This is good as it doesn't block the vision at all, and many wouldn't even know there is a film on it.

I have used it on my earlier vehicles and was very happy with it.
Old 10th August 2015, 19:25   #731
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:

CR70 from 3M is very good. This should cost you around 5.5k for only the rear glass. You should be care full here as the Elantra has the rear defogger and also the antenna running on the rear glass area. The glue used in the CR 70, 3M claims is superior and will not damage these on removal. They also have a demo for it,this is to prove heat resistance, check it out.

I have never felt the need for additional film in the car. I normally try and park away from trees as I am worried about bird droppings and tree sap. My car is black and hence the additional precaution.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 10th August 2015 at 19:48.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 16:30   #732
BHPian

Re: Sun Shades or Other Alternatives for Elantra?

Quote:

We need to think about whether this Solar Glass is really a "cool" thing for our Indian weather conditions.

Point 1. Solar Glass is capable of stopping or reducing UV rays from the sun. But it does not do a good job of reducing the IR (Infra Red) rays. UV rays reaching earths atmosphere is really low, especially in tropical/temperate zones of the earth. If you want to know more, google about Ozone Layer.
Point 2. Any filter or Solar Glass will let in some amount of IR rays. These IR rays are responsible for generating the heat after it interacts with materials like dash board, seats, side panels etc inside the car. Heat also dissipates into the car through the body which is predominantly metal.
Point 3. While a Solar Glass can reduce the amount of IR rays coming inside the vehicle, it does a poor job of dissipating the heat within the car to the outside. This works exactly like a greenhouse effect.
Point 4. I feel that it is pointless how much a filter lets in UV rays or sunlight. The IR rays will always get through it and bounce off the materials to generate heat.

To get back to your concern, what I do is when I park the vehicle in the sun, I stick sun shades (the ones you get at traffic signals) to the back and front windows. That helps a lot in reducing the heat generation within the car.
If at all the car gets hot, I open up all windows, run the blower for a few minutes on high and then turn on AC before finally closing all windows.

When driving, I use the sun shade as much as possible, else I use the AC in the non circulating mode.

My experience is that the filters which cut down visible light works much better to reduce the IR rays than those which is clear. But these are illegal now, and also the drivers efficacy in night driving is lost. These are good for residential and commercial buildings.

For me, I need clear visibility at night so I have stopped thinking about putting any films on my car.
Old 12th August 2015, 17:21   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Point 3. While a Solar Glass can reduce the amount of IR rays coming inside the vehicle, it does a poor job of dissipating the heat within the car to the outside. This works exactly like a greenhouse effect.
I agree with you but you are generalizing. Given that the amount of heat that enters a car using solar glass is expectedly lower than a car without one, the Greenhouse affect will be accentuated in the latter assuming both everything else remains constant. Solar glass absorbs and re-radiates less heat than conventional glass - hence reduced GH affect. So SG will lower heat inside the car.

That said, I am also against using films because of impact on visibility and damped aesthetics. Better to use sun shades - cheap and best!
Old 14th August 2015, 15:49   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
Hi i recently installed a pioneer 8690 in my elantra and mated it to a bit ten a kicker amp hertz hi energy comps in front and coaxials at the rear. The set up is awesome and would bring a smile to any audio loving people's face. Will post some pictures of the same for all to see.
Hi Deepu,

I am interested in going for the Pioneer 8690 too and would like to know these

1. Did the set come with the steering control module as default or u had to buy it seperately?

2. Is yours the 8690 or 5790? As from your pics, the centre button is rectangle, whereas on Pioneer's website it shows the centre button as half round.

3. Did you consider the Sony 712BT?

Thanks.
Old 14th August 2015, 16:53   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
We need to think about whether this Solar Glass is really a "cool" thing for our Indian weather conditions.

Point 1. Solar Glass is capable of stopping or reducing UV rays from the sun. But it does not do a good job of reducing the IR (Infra Red) rays. UV rays reaching earths atmosphere is really low, especially in tropical/temperate zones of the earth. If you want to know more, google about Ozone Layer.

That's actually opposite to what is true. Quoting from this link:

Quote:
The sun’s rays are strongest at the equator, where the sun is most directly overhead and UV rays must travel the least distance through the atmosphere. Ozone also is naturally thinner in the tropics compared to the mid- and high-latitudes, so there is less ozone to absorb the UV radiation as it passes through the atmosphere.
Therefore, the solar glass helps reduce the damaging impact of UVA and UVB rays on the vehicle's interiors and occupants.

IR can also be blocked by glass, however some of the visible light that passes through glass gets converted into IR, and therefore heat. So for regions that get a lot of sun, these glasses are definitely useful especially since sun-films were banned.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks