Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:33   #1
BHPian

Ford Figo 1.2 DuraTec Titanium - Initial Ownership Review

After using my 2002 Zen Lxi for 7 long years, it was time for a change. Why? Because my Zen was starting to give me a lot of trouble, and I was spending a lot of Vitamin-M on it which really wasn't adding to the overall value of the car!

So after a lot of deliberation with my wife about getting a new car, the finances, future plans, etc. we finally decided it was time!
We initially thought of going for a Diesel, and had almost booked an Indica Vista Quadrajet VX, however, later realized that with the amount of running I have every year, it would take at-least 4 years before I can recover the extra initial cost of a Diesel vehicle!

Among the multiple options available for a petrol hatch in the 4-5.5 lakh range, I had considered the following options:
1. Maruti-Suzuki Swift Vxi
2. Tata Indica Vista Petrol
3. Ford Figo
4. Chervolet Beat LT Petrol
5. Nissan Micra

I had to immediately rule-out the Swift because of the wait time and because my wifey did not like the 'look' of the new swift.
The Beat met a similar fate when we took a TD, wifey found the rear-seating claustrophobic.
Nissan Micra did not offer the features I wanted within my budget.
Indica Vista Petrol turned out to be severely under-powered!

So we were then left with just one option - The Ford Figo!
I was initially reluctant to get a Figo as I already have a Figo Zxi Petrol purchased in Jan 2012 - for my mom, and didn't want two vehicles of the same make!
However, after a lot of RnD on the Ford Figo (thanks to Team-BHP Forums!) and on comparing the price-to-feature ratio of the Figo with other cars in the same price range, I found the Figo to be the best VFM car.

What I like about the Figo:
- Excellent build quality
- Comfortable seating & driving position
- A/c is superb - one of the best I've experienced in a hatch
- Factory-fitted music system is very good offering deep-bass & clear sound
- Huge boot space

What I dislike about the Figo:
- Feels under-powered
- The overall design is kind of outdated
- OEM headlights are inadequate

Considering all of the above factors, we zeroed-in on the Ford Figo Titanium Petrol, and booked the vehicle in the first week of August.
The vehicle cost me 4.54 lakh on-road, including a discount of 27k. I also got 5k worth of accessories for free!
Got the loan applied, approved and sanctioned in the next few days and on the 18th of August I received delivery of my brand-new, shiny Ford Figo Titanium in bright Colorado Red color!
I have to mention that my experience with the dealer - Angel Auto at Vasai was fantastic as the sales guy worked out everything for me - from collecting documents from my house to getting things processed with the bank.

The reason I opted for the Titanium variant is because:
- Safety features: ABS, Airbags
- Alloy wheels
- Rear wash & wipe
- Fog lamps

At this time the Figo has completed approx 150 kms. I know it's not a lot, but I do have enough hands-on experience of the Figo as I have been using my other Figo Zxi since Jan 2012.

Styling-wise I have never been a big fan of Figo because of the traditional styling, unlike the other hatchbacks like Swift, Beat, Polo which are better looking.
I chose to go with the Figo because of the overall build quality, that secure feeling while driving this car and because the interior quality is top-notch!

Space-wise i feel the Figo is among the best-in-class, if not the best! There is plenty of room for the driver, co-passenger and for the rear passengers as well. There is plenty of leg-space for the passengers seated in the rear and the Figo can accommodate 3 medium-sized adults with ease! (Tried & tested in my Figo Zxi)

Air-conditioners have always been a specialty of all Ford cars, and the Figo is no exception! The Ac is an absolute delight, and cools the entire cabin within a few minutes! My office timings are really early in the morning starting anytime between 2 to 6.30AM and in the mornings I actually have to lower the Ac cooling settings to avoid being frozen alive!!

As far as seat comfort is concerned, I find the seat to be nice and comfortable with adequate under-thigh support. The driver-side height adjustment is a handy feature!

I honestly don't have much to talk about the engine performance of the Figo, as I find it completely under-powered and lacking the initial punch. I am 100% confident that my previous car - The 2002 Zen Lxi, had better initial acceleration compared to the Figo!
Having said that, I love the way this car handles when at high speeds - the suspension setup is bang-on, steering response is intuitive and instills confidence in the driver! I travel regularly on the NH-8 and have always maintained a speed-range of 100-120 kph, and the Figo doesn't let me realize i am going that fast! High-speed stability is excellent and braking is powerful & easy to manage because of ABS.
Gear throws are short & smooth and changing gears is effortless!

I haven't really tested the FE on the Figo Titanium, however, am getting FE of 11-12kpl in the city & 15-16kpl on the highway.

Overall I believe that the Ford Figo is a complete VFM package, even if you go with the top-end Titanium version, as no other car provides to with all of the Figo's features in the same price range.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo 1.2 DuraTec Titanium - Initial Ownership Review-img_20120818_120406-1.jpg  

Ford Figo 1.2 DuraTec Titanium - Initial Ownership Review-img_20120818_120353-1.jpg  

Ford Figo 1.2 DuraTec Titanium - Initial Ownership Review-img_20120821_155155.jpg  

Ford Figo 1.2 DuraTec Titanium - Initial Ownership Review-img_20120818_120418.jpg  

nishantbhatia84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 09:50   #2
BHPian

re: Ford Figo 1.2 DuraTec Titanium - Initial Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
After using my 2002 Zen Lxi for 7 long years, it was time for a change. Why? Because my Zen was starting to give me a lot of trouble, and I was spending a lot of Vitamin-M on it which really wasn't adding to the overall value of the car!

Overall I believe that the Ford Figo is a complete VFM package, even if you go with the top-end Titanium version, as no other car provides to with all of the Figo's features in the same price range.
Congratulations on your brand new fiery red devil !!!
The Ford Figo !

& Welcome to TeamBHP.
That's quite a nice & detailed write up.

Wow - what a view to have 2 Ford Figo's in your compound!

BTW - how much did you sell your Zen for? Exchange? What was the odo reading.
From a Zen to a Figo is a world of a difference!

The Indica Vista Quadrajet would have been an excellent choice too.
But the Figo is superb too.
My friend has a Ford Figo diesel Titanium. So really enjoy using that as well.
The A/c is a chiller! Also the BT connectivity is fun.

P.S. Some more pics! & interior pics too.

Happy Driving !
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 10:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Congratulations on your brand new fiery red devil !!!
The Ford Figo !

& Welcome to TeamBHP.
That's quite a nice & detailed write up.

Wow - what a view to have 2 Ford Figo's in your compound!

BTW - how much did you sell your Zen for? Exchange? What was the odo reading.
From a Zen to a Figo is a world of a difference!

The Indica Vista Quadrajet would have been an excellent choice too.
But the Figo is superb too.
My friend has a Ford Figo diesel Titanium. So really enjoy using that as well.
The A/c is a chiller! Also the BT connectivity is fun.

P.S. Some more pics! & interior pics too.

Happy Driving !
Thanks for the prompt reply Dr. Suraj!
Yeah, It does feel good to see both the Fords parked side-by-side!
I sold my Zen for 65k, in as-is-where-is condition!
On last read it had done around 1,17,500kms on the odo.

I really liked the Vista Quadrajet but the change in scheme meant the discount i was offered wen't down from 60k to just 15k! Pumping another 45k extra towards DP wasn't possible for me, hence the booking had to be cancelled!

If I compare the driving experience of the Figo to the Zen, there is certainly a world of difference! A couple of points:
1. Ride & seating height: The Figo is much higher compared to the Zen, which is almost at ground level! (I miss that though)
2. A/c: The Zen's a/c is nowhere even close to the Figo's
3. ICE: It would be unfair to compare the Figo to the Zen's, considering I had a subs & 4 high-end speakers in the Zen! But i have to admit that the Figo's ICE is way better than that of the other hatchbacks!
4. Engine Performance: I have already mentioned in my earlier post that the Figo is & feels under-powered, specially when starting from a green light as the initial acceleration is grossly inadequate! My Zen was an absolute delight when it came to initial acceleration and I have left many-a-modern cars biting dust!
5. Handling & Breaking: Here the Figo takes the cake, as it handles beautifully on high speeds! It let's you drive at a consistent 120-130kph with total confidence! The Zen could be driven with confidence upto a maximum of 100-110kph after which it started shaking & vibrating! (Maybe that was due to the age factor)

BTW, all of the above factors are considering my experience with the Figo Zxi and not the Titanium, as the car isn't registered yet so can't take it out! (Although it won't make any difference to the above factors as the engine, a/c & music system is the same)

I am now keeping my fingers crossed and anxiously awaiting the registration of my Figo Titanium, so that I can take it for a spin! (Should be done by mid next week)
I'm planning a drive to Lonavala next weekend, and you're invited Dr. Suraj!
Old 24th August 2012, 10:19   #4
BHPian

Dr. Suraj, your wish is my command!
Here are the photos of the interior as requested.
More pics would come-in once the registration is complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo 1.2 DuraTec Titanium - Initial Ownership Review-img_20120818_120516.jpg  

Ford Figo 1.2 DuraTec Titanium - Initial Ownership Review-img_20120818_120512.jpg  

Ford Figo 1.2 DuraTec Titanium - Initial Ownership Review-img_20120818_120509.jpg  

Ford Figo 1.2 DuraTec Titanium - Initial Ownership Review-img_20120818_120445.jpg  

Ford Figo 1.2 DuraTec Titanium - Initial Ownership Review-img_20120818_120453.jpg  

nishantbhatia84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 10:25   #5
BHPian

Congrats on you Figo. Nice color too.

You did not consider the Polo or Jazz. Any reasons?
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 10:36   #6
BHPian

Thanks Arup!
Honda Jazz was out of my budget by a mile!
I really like the looks of the Polo, however, got scared away on hearing a few scary stories about high A.S.S. costs with Volkswagen cars!
Old 24th August 2012, 12:21   #7
BHPian

welcome aboard @nishantbhatia84 on TBHP and the FIGO club. Trust me every day will be a pleasure driving the FIGO and you will never ever regret it. I am driving mine since 2.5years now and every day is exiting. Drive safe.
sumathindra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 12:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
welcome aboard @nishantbhatia84 on TBHP and the FIGO club. Trust me every day will be a pleasure driving the FIGO and you will never ever regret it. I am driving mine since 2.5years now and every day is exiting. Drive safe.
Thanks mate!
I really like the Figo and that was the reason i bought another one!
I am now a proud owner of a Figo Titanium & a Figo Zxi!!
The driving pleasure of a Figo is unmatched, when compared with any other hatch - i believe!!
Old 24th August 2012, 12:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I officially classify you as a ford fanboy. Two fords, both Figos!
(by the by, not derogatory...I am one too!)

Thats a fantastic choice you have, and the color is spot-on. As far as the looks go, they have kept it safe, i agree. But, one thing i have noticed is that, when you spot one in your rearview mirror, its actually good looking. trust me on this.(Or not...you could just park your 1st figo behind the second one and see what I am talking about!)

Maybe you can tell me, wasnt there and option(?) of a maroon-ish dash on the figo?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 13:10   #10
BHPian

Thanks Mayankk!!
The Figo does come with an option of a coral dash color. It's a cross between red-maroon & orange i feel (I'm terrible with colors)
What you said is right, I am certainly a Ford fanboy, however, having said that, i still believe that my old zen lxi 2002 was a better driver's car!
Old 24th August 2012, 13:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Mate, congrats. I don't know if you can spot the difference, but from what I have heard, the quality of the newer Figos is falling. I want you to drive both back to back and tell me if you find a difference in insulation (sound levels) between the two and report back on this thread, please. Let me know.
Thanks (I am interested in buying a new Diesel Figo, hence the inquiry)
Old 24th August 2012, 13:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta
Mate, congrats. I don't know if you can spot the difference, but from what I have heard, the quality of the newer Figos is falling. I want you to drive both back to and back and tell me if you find a difference in insulation (sound levels) between the two and report back on this thread, please. Let me know.
Thanks (I am interested in buying a new Diesel Figo, hence the inquiry)
Hey Frank, I've driven a 2011 figo and own two figos manufactured in jan 2012 & august 2012 and haven't found any difference or deterioration in the build quality. It remains as it is i.e. Top notch!
I drive both my cars regularly and honestly see or experience no difference!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 20:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations and welcome to the 1.2 Ford club.
Red is a good color for the Figo and makes it stand out especially if kept clean always.

I was surprised reagrding the on-road price of the car as I picked up my 1.2 Exi exactly two years back for 25k more than what you have paid.

Regarding the power, yes with A/C especially, you can may as well have a cup of tea during the initial .But, that is made up for in the solid handling and stability of the car which you will enjoy more slowly, than power.
Old 24th August 2012, 21:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian
Congratulations and welcome to the 1.2 Ford club.
Red is a good color for the Figo and makes it stand out especially if kept clean always.

I was surprised reagrding the on-road price of the car as I picked up my 1.2 Exi exactly two years back for 25k more than what you have paid.

Regarding the power, yes with A/C especially, you can may as well have a cup of tea during the initial .But, that is made up for in the solid handling and stability of the car which you will enjoy more slowly, than power.
Thanks mate!
The on-road price I've mentioned is incorrect! It's actually 5.54lakh on-road!
Thanks for highlighting the error!
Will make the changes asap!
Old 25th August 2012, 12:49   #15
BHPian

The Figo is still not registered! :(
I'm itching to take it for a drive to Lonavala!!
Hopefully by next Wednesday the registration formalities should be complete!
I'll post pics of my trip to Lonavala!
Fingers crossed!

Most Viewed