Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 21:09   #16
BHPian

Re: i20 Asta CRDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Other details on the buying process:
Thanks for the review Aditya.

I'm looking to replace my 5 year old Swift Vdi with i20 Asta Crdi. One thing I was not able to find out was, how good is the Ipod integration? Were you able to play Apple Lossless format through the HU? Was the cable available with the dealer?
Old 7th September 2012, 22:08   #17
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 CRDI Asta

Congrats on the new i20!
I used to drive my friend's petrol i20 a lot during our car-pooling days at college. I'm pleasantly surprised the diesel doesn't have noise insulation under the hood; the NVH is definitely best in class, and I'd expected some heavy insulation to be at work.
A small suggestion, if you don't mind: please consider blackening out the B pillars. I think it adds to the look of the car. Hyundai does that for the i20s sold abroad, I believe.
Enjoy your ride!
Old 8th September 2012, 13:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surajs View Post
I'm looking to replace my 5 year old Swift Vdi with i20 Asta Crdi. One thing I was not able to find out was, how good is the Ipod integration? Were you able to play Apple Lossless format through the HU? Was the cable available with the dealer?
Hi Suraj. The HU supports true iPod integration as shown by the pictures attached here.

1. There is a factory supplied interface cable which attaches to the iPod in the data port. The length of this cable can be estimated from the picture.

Hyundai i20 CRDI Asta-dsc05315_s400.jpg

2. The output of this cable goes into the Aux and USB inputs of the head unit.

Hyundai i20 CRDI Asta-dsc05317_cs640.jpg

Hyundai i20 CRDI Asta-dsc05321_cs640.jpg

3. The car detects the device and an iPod icon is displayed on the MID. During this time the battery is also charged.

Hyundai i20 CRDI Asta-dsc05323_cs800m.jpg

4. Navigation and volume of the music library is possible only from the HU controls, as the iPod music application displays a "Accessory Connected" message. Other applications are still accessible. I noted that the "Randomn" seek button does not work in this mode.

Hyundai i20 CRDI Asta-dsc05320_s400.jpg

Comparison: Playback via conventional AUX input:

+ iPod battery is charged
+ Better sound quality comparable to USB play
- iPod music player UI is not available which means you cannot exploit playlists and other features.
+ On other hand you don't have fiddle with iPod touch screen during driving

Benefits of Playback via USB pen drive:

+ Does not require iPod/iPhone
+ USB drives are low cost and can be stored permanently in the car
+ Sound quality is better than Aux input
+ Music can be organized in folders and same can be browsed via HU controls. You can go further and keep multiple pen drives with different moods.
+ Randomn seek function works with USB drives, but not with iPod

My recommendation is to go with USB pen drive; it is a much simpler and practical solution unless you find it too much of a hassle to maintain music library in multiple locations. If you want maximum control over the music playback then stick with conventional Aux input.

I hope that answers most of your question. Unfortunately my library is exclusively mp3 so don't really know about the formats supported.

Dear Pancham/Pradhan: There is no FE computer on any i20 variant including the latest ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
A small suggestion, if you don't mind: please consider blackening out the B pillars. I think it adds to the look of the car. Hyundai does that for the i20s sold abroad, I believe.
I will keep that in mind: I had done Vinyl taping on my Alto as well I believe that a black roof M3 style will also suit it ... what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishik View Post
I have a question for the experts who may be reading this - is it possible to tune the stock suspension of the i20 to improve its handling and if it is indeed possible then can it be done at a local Hyundai ASC?
I don't think any of any complaints with i20 are due to its suspension. Rather it is the EPS feel and weight that are to blame.

Last edited by aditya101 : 8th September 2012 at 13:56.
aditya101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 22:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Suraj. The HU supports true iPod integration...
Thanks Aditya for the detailed explanation .

I currently use my Ipod with Alpine HU using the full speed cable and I've been enjoying my whole collection of lossless quality music .

This lets me confirm I can indeed carry over my collection. Thanks a ton buddy.

Last edited by surajs : 8th September 2012 at 22:18. Reason: Update
Old 10th September 2012, 02:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think any of any complaints with i20 are due to its suspension. Rather it is the EPS feel and weight that are to blame.

The ultralight EPS is definitely a problem and needs getting used to but the real cause of concern is the wallowy, bouncy ride of the i20 at moderate to high speeds. I have experienced this particular behavior in almost all Hyundais that I have driven viz. Santro, i20 (pre igen and igen versions) and Verna. Since the bouncy ride is essentially a causal effect of a soft suspension tuned mainly for comfort, I was wondering if there is a way to firm up the suspension without much investment of time and money.
Old 10th September 2012, 11:29   #21
BHPian

Congrats on your buy Aditya. i20 is one of the most loaded premium hatches you can buy. While upgrading from Alto Lxi I was looking at i10 as an upgrade for wifey. However at the showroom once she sat in the i20 - i10 was not even in contention.

As her running about is primarily in the city - we use my car for highway travels hence decided to stick to the petrol Asta (no skimping on safety )

It is absolutely fab over the last 18 odd months she has been with us. The only grouse being that there is a fair bit of lag & it really wakes up beyond 2000 RPMs.

Happy motoring.
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 11:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Clean Air Ionizer. This is one of the features I wanted in the car, but there is no labelling indicating the same in my car. Is it there or not?
Congrats on the new car!!

The Ionizer thing is a farce!! There is nothing like that present in any of the I20's. No mechanism whatsoever!!

I had to get my full dashboard opened yesterday as my Thermister.. went kaput!! The auto climate control was throwing out warm air, hence they replaced the thermister.

Once the dash was opened I could see very clearly that the Ionizer thing is just a hoax. I specifically asked the SA about it and he said that there was nothing like that in any of the models.

Anyway, I had 1 question for you, does your Music System play all the uSB drives, cuz mine doesnt, it doesnt recognise any of my usb drives apart from a 4gb Lenovo usb stick that I have.

Also you mentioned you got the IPod cable from the factory?? Do you mean to say that it came alongwith the car??

Cheers
Shrey

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th September 2012 at 23:20. Reason: fixed quotes, thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 12:01   #23
BHPian

Thanks Shrey.

I use a 8 GB Kingston drive in my car and there are no problems. I suggest you format the drive to FAT32 standard and try again. This what my drive looks like:

Yes, the cable was provided free of cost by the showroom without me asking for it specifically. A benefit of purchasing the car from a company owned showroom I guess. It was neatly packaged in a zip lock with part number sticker on it (Unfortunately my wife trashed the same so cannot quote it to you).

i20 does have a AC air filter located below the front passenger dashboard which should help to clean up the air. However the terminology used i.e. "ionizer" is too specific ... Hyundai should clarify in writing to you and owners of the first model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
The Ionizer thing is a farce!! There is nothing like that present in any of the I20's. No mechanism whatsoever!!

I had to get my full dashboard opened yesterday as my Thermister.. went kaput!! The auto climate control was throwing out warm air, hence they replaced the thermister.

Once the dash was opened I could see very clearly that the Ionizer thing is just a hoax. I specifically asked the SA about it and he said that there was nothing like that in any of the models.

Anyway, I had 1 question for you, does your Music System play all the uSB drives, cuz mine doesnt, it doesnt recognise any of my usb drives apart from a 4gb Lenovo usb stick that I have.

Also you mentioned you got the IPod cable from the factory?? Do you mean to say that it came alongwith the car??

Last edited by aditya101 : 10th September 2012 at 12:03. Reason: Added USB Pen drive image
Old 10th September 2012, 12:44   #24
BHPian

Hey!

thanks for the prompt response, I have a Igen I20 which is about a month old.

Unfortunately, I did not buy my car from a Company Owned showroom, I bought it from the regular Hyundai showroom!!

Its just been a month and I have had my rear shockers replaced already, my System, does not accept any other usb apart from that 1 lenovo pen drive like I mentioned. I have tried formatting it in every possible way, even tried using the lowest file allocation size... but it doesnt help.

THe climate controll stopped working properly.. throwing hot air in between, now, after the change of the thermister, the temp controll is useless.. wether its 15 deg or 29deg.. the temp remains the same and the windscreen starts getting fogged if I use the A/C in the "Auto"mode..

There is nothing called as a Ionizer unit in the I20.. Wether or not it mentions the "Clean Air" thing or not!! However, it sure does have a filter!!Infact 2 of them..

Anyway, I hope your car does not give you any issues.. n yeah I own a CRDI Sportz model..

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Thanks Shrey.

I use a 8 GB Kingston drive in my car and there are no problems. I suggest you format the drive to FAT32 standard and try again. This what my drive looks like:

Yes, the cable was provided free of cost by the showroom without me asking for it specifically. A benefit of purchasing the car from a company owned showroom I guess. It was neatly packaged in a zip lock with part number sticker on it (Unfortunately my wife trashed the same so cannot quote it to you).

i20 does have a AC air filter located below the front passenger dashboard which should help to clean up the air. However the terminology used i.e. "ionizer" is too specific ... Hyundai should clarify in writing to you and owners of the first model.

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 10th September 2012 at 12:49.
Old 10th September 2012, 16:11   #25
BHPian

Oooh boy, this feedback is giving me the jitters. I'll be taking delivery in another 3-4 days. Hope I get an issue less car.
Old 10th September 2012, 17:08   #26
BHPian

Aditya - congrats on your new buy..and thanks for the ownership review (the first one I suppose).

However, my pet peeve is the boot opening mechanism. I took my friend's car and faced the same problem of "unaware" security folks at a mall yesterday..and this time it went a little too far.

As always, I had to step out and open the boot and showed the guy the button so that he is better prepared next time but I think he got a little offended either for me teaching him how to open it even though it could be done from inside (according to him) or for holding up traffic behind. He told me in a sarcastic tone "Sir, I know you can open it from inside, dont think we dont know how this works”. I had to end it there.

The other thing I noticed is, central locking works just for the rear doors and not for passenger side or even the driver's side for that matter. This can sometimes go horribly wrong if the passenger just checks if it is locked as it can throw the door open in high speeds.

Last edited by Ranjimso : 10th September 2012 at 17:10.
Old 10th September 2012, 21:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjimso View Post
... The other thing I noticed is, central locking works just for the rear doors and not for passenger side or even the driver's side for that matter. This can sometimes go horribly wrong if the passenger just checks if it is locked as it can throw the door open in high speeds.
We Indians are trained in the Maruti 800 school of thought where you need to unlock before pulling the handle! Thus this i20 thing is quite strange ... any idea on the reason for this 'feature'?
Old 10th September 2012, 23:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Aditya, the current Gen i20 is a looker & that's what I recommended to my father who wanted to buy a Diesel Hatchback. He checked various cars & finally locked on a White i20 Sportz. Its been a few months & he very happy with his purchase.

Keep us posted with your ownership experiences
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 09:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your i20 Have you enabled auto-locking doors when the car crosses a preset speed? Is it possible in the diesel Asta? In petrol Asta (O) its being done by default.
Old 11th September 2012, 10:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Congratulations on your i20 Have you enabled auto-locking doors when the car crosses a preset speed? Is it possible in the diesel Asta? In petrol Asta (O) its being done by default.
When I asked the SE, she said in the new models it cannot be done. I'll have to ask again then. Aditya, you've enabled it?

Most Viewed