Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2012, 14:06   #46
BHPian

Re: My White Toyota Liva GD -- Initial ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
@Sups, would be grateful if you share what you exactly did with the floor. What is this thick laminates you have talked about? Is it under the carpet?

I have done 3M underbody coating with 3 years warranty, it helps in damping the sound, though not much. Somehow, post 2000 km Liva settles to a nice purr, instead of the initial clatter. My car is now at 4700 km and if you help me out with your floor treatment, I can run my car like a Swift.
Its a polyurethene rexine material with a thickness of 4 mm. It comes with few colours like black, grey etc. I have chosen black. As I said earlier, its exactly not a branded damping material, but does the job of sound proofing also. Since the cost was low (Rs. 3250 for whole floor and fitting), I went for this on an experimental basis based on the suggestion from my trusted car decor guy. It has definitely reduced noise, but not sure whether door damping with "noisekill" or floor lamination has played a bigger role. The lamination is put over the carpet (its screwed, no glue used), so rubber mats sit on the lamination. The whole floor now has become so easy to clean and it gives a slight soft feeling when I put my foot on the mats now. The lamination does not interfere with the aesthetics at all, as the black colour blends so nicely with the mats that you will hardly notice it. No, rubber mats does not slip at all over the lamination.

I have a suggestion for you to go for a proper damping material. Go through this "dampmat" thread :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...at-xtreme.html and talk to monty over phone or private message. It will cost about 8K with 10% discounts for bhpians. A packet of 8K will be sufficient for the whole floor and you will have two more sheets remaining. The remaining can be used on the door along with some other cheaper material like "noisekill". End of the day, its better to damp the doors and floor for better result. Its important to hold a good car accessory guy as well.

I have decided to go with "dampmat" after a few months, short of cash as of now.

I am also thinking of taking my car to the showroom and show it to the service guy and ask him to assess about NVH improvement of my car vis a vis an undamped liva.
sups is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 13:08   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Four days of local driving, much lower than what I normally travel to get a feel of the car. The odometer is now showing 140 kilometers since I got the tank filled up on the first day. In the fuel metro all the bars are still full. It's not yet time to judge the FE.
Meanwhile, I needed to spruce up the interiors a bit. The dark black seats had a leather-swede seat cover with a small patch of red. The ICE was put in. It was Pioneer FH-P6050UB. Two rear speakers were added, which gave the sound a more complete feel.
I had decided to add little bit of red when I got the delivery of the car, that was the reason I chose to have the red and beige steering cover and changed the gear knob to a red knob. Now, the interiors, IMO looks less drab, with those patches of red. I wish the Pioneer stereo had red display, it was not to be. It came in blue.
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Hi, I want to put art leather seat covers on my new Liva GD. I would prefer fixing it from third parties due to the variety available and also the reasonable price offered. In one of the posts I had read that the rear seats of the Liva are fixed with plastic fasteners and they are prone to breaking if the seats are not removed properly. I am in a dilemma now. If during cover fixing something happens then the warranty will be void and I will have to pay from my pocket to rectify the mistake. Should I get it done from the dealer itself? Any suggestions?[/FONT][/COLOR]
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:50   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] In one of the posts I had read that the rear seats of the Liva are fixed with plastic fasteners and they are prone to breaking if the seats are not removed properly. I am in a dilemma now. If during cover fixing something happens then the warranty will be void and I will have to pay from my pocket to rectify the mistake. Should I get it done from the dealer itself? Any suggestions?[/FONT][/COLOR]
Dont think this is true. I saw how they fixed the seat cover in my car. Normal like any other car. Fixing seat cover has nothing to do with warranty also. Warranty will be void if you alter any electrical circuit or play around with machine parts.
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:12   #49
BHPian

Quote:

Dont think this is true. I saw how they fixed the seat cover in my car. Normal like any other car. Fixing seat cover has nothing to do with warranty also. Warranty will be void if you alter any electrical circuit or play around with machine parts.
Did you get your seat covers fixed at the Toyota dealer or from outside? Here the seat cover guy is calling it skin fit. Is it the same in your case?
Old 2nd January 2013, 22:13   #50
BHPian

@rajivr1612: I got the covers fixed from outside. Skin fit, yes. Made for Etios Liva and fits smugly. Costed me about Rs 7500/- for this swede-finish artificial leather.
Old 10th January 2013, 11:54   #51
BHPian

What an experience. Accidentally my car got filled up by petrol. But I survived. Have put up a separate thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3011983
Old 13th January 2013, 22:43   #52
BHPian

It was a near disaster, never thought this can happen to me. But it happened. Petrol was put in my 6200+ km run Etios Liva Diesel, but somehow I could avoid a total disaster.

The incident happened last Sunday at Lake Auto Stores, Kolkata. At the crossing of Southern Avenue and Lansdowne Road. A well-known fuel station in this part of the city, normally very efficient too. I had been using this pump for ages and never had a problem. This time the accident happened.

I parked the car, asked for diesel and to make it auto-full. The attendant cross-checked "diesel?" and took the filling handle in his hand. Before I could look, I was distracted by a person who was trying to sell his packet of car shampoo etc. I dissuaded the person, looked back at the meter and fuel has started getting in in my car. In a few minutes, my car had taken in 6.7 litre and then the pump attendant suddenly stopped the machine. And yelled at me: "Dada, don't turn the ignition on."

--"What happened?"
--"Unmindfully, I had put petrol in your car."

Gosh. I came down from my car and saw the disaster. It was petrol, that was getting in in my four month old diesel car. I know the consequences of fuel mix in a diesel car and didn't know what to do now.

All the petrol pump attendants came running in, so did the manager. They were profusely apologetic and immediately started taking correcting measures. All of them assured me, "Dada, leave the car to us. We will do what is necessary."

Fortunately, the petrol pump has a repairing workshop attached to it. They pushed the car to the workshop, drained out the entire fuel from the car. Then they removed the fuel tank from the car, blow dried the tank to remove any trace of residue of the mixed fuel. The fuel tank was then put in it's proper place and the car was filled with diesel. The tank took in 43.2 liters of diesel in auto-full position.

The payment calculation was done like this:
The fuel that came out from my tank was measured. It came to approximately 23 litres. Out of which 6.7 litre was their own fuel. So when I came to the filling station my car was having approximately 16.3 litre of diesel when I came to the petrol pump. Assuming there was some spillage when they were removing the mixed fuel, they rounded off the original diesel content in my car to 21 litres and I was billed for 22.3 litres. Fair enough. I dont think I lost in terms of money. On the other hand I got a few litres of diesel for free. Not enough compensation for the time lost or the mental agony, but I don't think I could have asked for more given that the people in the pump were courteous enough and the way they handled the emergency situation efficiently.

Two more points:

1. I called up Toyota service, and they immediately responded. They wanted to send a service engineer in any emergency. But after talking to the mechanic at the workshop who was handling my car, they were fully satisfied. They asked me whether I had put the ignition on after the fuel mix. When I said "no", they said: nothing will happen to my car, and I run the car like before after removing mixed fuel and drying the tank.

2. I asked the petrol pump attendants whether this kind of fuel mix happens regularly or not. They said, it's not a regular phenomenon, but mistakes do happen once in a blue moon. They have faced situations like this before. And all the attendants were unanimous in their opinion that with so many cars these days, they get confused once in a while. Specially with Toyota and Maruti mid-sized cars. They also opined that the petrol pumps should not be having petrol and diesel filling machines side by side, which is the custom in most pumps.

Last word: my car is running fine since Sunday. Almost 400 km and nothing is wrong so far. I hope I am lucky and had a narrow escape!
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 12:47   #53
BHPian

Finally a long drive. From Kolkata to Mandarmoni and back. 392 km. FE 21 km/l.
Old 20th March 2013, 09:06   #54
BHPian

My White Liva Diesel at 10,000 km

My car completed 10,000 km and the second free service last week. As usual, the Toyota service is brilliant, without any hassle. Consumes less time and to the point.

As suggested by many members in T-BHP forum, got the front suspensions changed. Magically, the "Thud" sound has vanished. It's a better car to drive now. The NVH level has come down either due to lessening of suspension noise or because of the oil change. Since I was covered by Toyota Smile scheme, I had paid Rs 1800/- in the beginning. Hence, the servicing (including change of engine oil and oil filter) came for free. The servicing was top-notch and I when the car came back from servicing it was looking like new. They cleaned the vehicle extensively, making it look like new again.

Now, my living with a Toyota Liva for 10,000 km (time span: 6 month and 12 days) had been sweet. No reasons to complain. The car didn't let me down even once. It has remained like new, with no rattles whatsoever. And everything functions as it was supposed to be from the very beginning. Despite it's deceiving tinny appearance, I have this feeling that it's a sturdy no-nonsense car.

Most of my driving had been in Kolkata, plenty of pot-holed stretches in the city, with an exception of a long drive to and from Mondarmoni covering 392 km. During the winter months (AC off), the car had been giving 18-19 km to a litre in city traffic. It increased to 21 in the highway run. More than satisfactory I would say.

Here are my likes and dislikes about the car with my 10,000 km experience:

1. Beautiful handling and excellent speed masking. The car doesn't feel strained anywhere upto 120 km (haven't tested beyond that).
2. Excellent steering feel. Neither too light nor too heavy. As good as Figo, if not better.
3. Excellent braking.
4. Excellent OEM headlights. Haven't seen such good headlights in many cars. In fact, adding a fog-lamp is not necessary.
5. The single wiper blade. Initially I was skeptical, but it works better than twin wipers. The entire windscreen is wiped clean with no triangle formed between two wipers obstructing the driver's vision.
6. The position of the steering. You will not touch the dash with your legs.
7. Excellent AC.
8. The centrally mounted Instrument cluster. Well, yes. Once I got used to this, I found that this is actually a boon. I can keep a watch on the cluster without taking my eyes off from the road.
9. Space, space and space. Liva is a huge car from inside. Bigger than many popular sedans.
10. Low maintenance cost and Toyota service. Service is awesome. And spare parts are priced lower than most competitors.
11. The harder than normal seats. Increases spine support. Comfortable in the long run, specially for people like me who have back pains.

Dislikes

1. The NVH level. Seems to have addressed in the new Liva. Would like to know if the new system can be retrofitted in my car.
2. The OVRMs. Would like to have electrical OVRMs. Not there.
3. I miss the Odometre.
4. The glaring Instrument Cluster. It's too bright, strains my eyes while driving at night. Seems to have addressed in the new model.
5. Height adjustable seats. I miss them. Liva has addressed this in the new model.

Neutrals

1. Many people had complained about the bland interiors. While Toyota has changed the interiors, personally I have always the liked the black/grey interiors of the older model.
2. Absence of rear wiper. Well, maybe. I rarely would use them even if my car had one.
3. Climate control. Well, not a huge necessity for me again.

My overall impression: Liva GD is a great car at this cost. I don't regret buying this car against popular wisdom. In fact, I am happy that I got this car after considering many other cars. Toyota has not let me down.

Last edited by subratasenn : 20th March 2013 at 09:07. Reason: Typo
subratasenn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 13:14   #55
BHPian

Quote:
My White Liva Diesel at 10,000 km

My car completed 10,000 km and the second free service last week. As usual, the Toyota service is brilliant, without any hassle. Consumes less time and to the point.

As suggested by many members in T-BHP forum, got the front suspensions changed. Magically, the "Thud" sound has vanished. It's a better car to drive now. The NVH level has come down either due to lessening of suspension noise or because of the oil change. Since I was covered by Toyota Smile scheme, I had paid Rs 1800/- in the beginning. Hence, the servicing (including change of engine oil and oil filter) came for free. The servicing was top-notch and I when the car came back from servicing it was looking like new. They cleaned the vehicle extensively, making it look like new again.
Congrats on your 10K mark with the Liva, I am just a couple of hundred kilometers behind I have booked my 2nd service appointment for this weekend at Nandi Toyota, Bommanahalli. They initially told me that it would cost around 2900 + 14.5% tax for the consumables & wheel alignments.

With this, their costs would be ~3300. Minus wheel alignment of 680 + weights (which I regularly do privately at Tyre Empire), this will be ~2500.
It means minimum 5000 Rupees for my 2nd and 3rd services (10000 and 20000) put together.

I just inquired with the Toyota Smiles team if this package would reduce some costs. They offer Smiles at 3300 (including tax) over which all consumables will be free of cost for my 10000 and 20000 services. To me, this sounds like 5000 minus 3300 = 1700 benefits straight away. Plus their labor & other discounts seem to make this deal sweeter.

What is your opinion on this?? Any little info to this is going to help me.

Cheers!!
M
Old 27th March 2013, 19:34   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post

I just inquired with the Toyota Smiles team if this package would reduce some costs. They offer Smiles at 3300 (including tax) over which all consumables will be free of cost for my 10000 and 20000 services. To me, this sounds like 5000 minus 3300 = 1700 benefits straight away. Plus their labor & other discounts seem to make this deal sweeter.

What is your opinion on this?? Any little info to this is going to help me.

M
Yes, Smiles scheme works out fine for me. Rs 3300/- seems to be a better deal than mine (I had opted for Rs 1800/- for the first year renewable for an additional one year for Rs 1800/- again, making it Rs 3600/- ).

The benefits are:

1. You don't have to pay anything for the consumables
2. Discount (15 to 25 per cent) on any part cost and 50% off on labour charges (I got fog lamps fixed and body under-coating done after opting for this scheme, thereby saving money. Replacement of a broken tail-lamp assembly also came at a discounted price and the labour charge was waived off.)
3. Three pick up and drop facilities per year.
4. One polish and internal cleaning free per year.
5. 50% off on wheel alignment and balancing.

Worth the smile.

Last edited by subratasenn : 27th March 2013 at 19:38.
Old 23rd August 2013, 18:00   #57
BHPian

Quote:
It was a near disaster, never thought this can happen to me. But it happened. Petrol was put in my 6200+ km run Etios Liva Diesel, but somehow I could avoid a total disaster.

The incident happened last Sunday at Lake Auto Stores, Kolkata. At the crossing of Southern Avenue and Lansdowne Road. A well-known fuel station in this part of the city, normally very efficient too. I had been using this pump for ages and never had a problem. This time the accident happened.

I parked the car, asked for diesel and to make it auto-full. The attendant cross-checked "diesel?" and took the filling handle in his hand. Before I could look, I was distracted by a person who was trying to sell his packet of car shampoo etc. I dissuaded the person, looked back at the meter and fuel has started getting in in my car. In a few minutes, my car had taken in 6.7 litre and then the pump attendant suddenly stopped the machine. And yelled at me: "Dada, don't turn the ignition on."

--"What happened?"
--"Unmindfully, I had put petrol in your car."

Gosh. I came down from my car and saw the disaster. It was petrol, that was getting in in my four month old diesel car. I know the consequences of fuel mix in a diesel car and didn't know what to do now.

All the petrol pump attendants came running in, so did the manager. They were profusely apologetic and immediately started taking correcting measures. All of them assured me, "Dada, leave the car to us. We will do what is necessary."

Fortunately, the petrol pump has a repairing workshop attached to it. They pushed the car to the workshop, drained out the entire fuel from the car. Then they removed the fuel tank from the car, blow dried the tank to remove any trace of residue of the mixed fuel. The fuel tank was then put in it's proper place and the car was filled with diesel. The tank took in 43.2 liters of diesel in auto-full position.

The payment calculation was done like this:
The fuel that came out from my tank was measured. It came to approximately 23 litres. Out of which 6.7 litre was their own fuel. So when I came to the filling station my car was having approximately 16.3 litre of diesel when I came to the petrol pump. Assuming there was some spillage when they were removing the mixed fuel, they rounded off the original diesel content in my car to 21 litres and I was billed for 22.3 litres. Fair enough. I dont think I lost in terms of money. On the other hand I got a few litres of diesel for free. Not enough compensation for the time lost or the mental agony, but I don't think I could have asked for more given that the people in the pump were courteous enough and the way they handled the emergency situation efficiently.

Two more points:

1. I called up Toyota service, and they immediately responded. They wanted to send a service engineer in any emergency. But after talking to the mechanic at the workshop who was handling my car, they were fully satisfied. They asked me whether I had put the ignition on after the fuel mix. When I said "no", they said: nothing will happen to my car, and I run the car like before after removing mixed fuel and drying the tank.

2. I asked the petrol pump attendants whether this kind of fuel mix happens regularly or not. They said, it's not a regular phenomenon, but mistakes do happen once in a blue moon. They have faced situations like this before. And all the attendants were unanimous in their opinion that with so many cars these days, they get confused once in a while. Specially with Toyota and Maruti mid-sized cars. They also opined that the petrol pumps should not be having petrol and diesel filling machines side by side, which is the custom in most pumps.

Last word: my car is running fine since Sunday. Almost 400 km and nothing is wrong so far. I hope I am lucky and had a narrow escape!
Boy that was scary but not to worry Sen Da! Most important is drying the tank up which erases any trace of the fuel mixture. And Toyota changed the fuel filters in your service, so no worries. What I liked is how prepared the fuel pump folks were in this case of adversity. If such a thing would have happened to me, I would not have stopped going there.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 18:29   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Boy that was scary but not to worry Sen Da! Most important is drying the tank up which erases any trace of the fuel mixture. And Toyota changed the fuel filters in your service, so no worries. What I liked is how prepared the fuel pump folks were in this case of adversity. If such a thing would have happened to me, I would not have stopped going there.
I have done another 10K odd kilometers after that accident. And the half the time of refueling went back to same the HP station. I had been using this fuel station for ages and just for one accident I see no reason why I wouldn't go there. But after the incident, at any refuel point I have always stepped out of the car, and watched the attendant putting in the correct nozzle!

Incidentally, my car will be completing one full year in three days. Have done 16.5K kilometer, driving mainly in the city.
Old 23rd August 2013, 18:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:

I have done another 10K odd kilometers after that accident. And the half the time of refueling went back to same the HP station. I had been using this fuel station for ages and just for one accident I see no reason why I wouldn't go there. But after the incident, at any refuel point I have always stepped out of the car, and watched the attendant putting in the correct nozzle!

Incidentally, my car will be completing one full year in three days. Have done 16.5K kilometer, driving mainly in the city.
That's a healthy driving of around 1300 kms a month. Ensure you keep that habit. Lesson learnt!
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:41   #60
BHPian

My car completed one year on 29th August.
The odometer reading as on today is 16936.

Nothing much has changed in the car after my 10K km report. It's running absolutely fine, excepting one creaking sound in all the doors (at the hinges) whenever I open the car. The grease that they put during servicing apparently dried out faster than normal. Don't know if this has anything to do with the heavy monsoons this year. My car is normally parked at open space. Planning to put some Singer machine oil at the hinges to check whether that helps as I have no intention to take the car to TASS to put some grease.

Spoke to the service centre head asking him to upgrade my car's engine mount to hydraulic. They are yet to confirm whether they'll be doing it or not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks