Team-BHP - Platinum Possession: My VW Jetta Comfortline
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Platinum Possession: My VW Jetta Comfortline (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/125798-platinum-possession-my-vw-jetta-comfortline.html)

Hi friends!! It has been quite some time since I have been planning to share my ownership experience of the New Jetta with fellow-BHPians.

Finally I have je(o)tted it down. So here we go......

July-August 2011..... We have owned Skoda Octavia, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic and Skoda Laura in the near past. All our cars are self-driven. We were looking at a replacement to our Laura which had clocked nearly 2L km, we shortlisted the following cars in our range.

Renault Fluence Diesel (E2)
Dislikes: Weak engine, unconventional shape, disappointing interiors, overall quality of the package

Toyota Corolla Altis Diesel (D4-D G)
Dislikes: Weak engine; too light in handling; artificial looking interiors

We struck-off the Renault Fluence and Toyota Corolla from our radar on the first TD itself. Worth mentioning here is the credit card shaped key of Renault Fluence. I found the key really funny and too clumsy to handle.

Chevrolet Cruze (LTZ- Manual)
Likes: Long equipment list, sun-roof, punchy engine, flashy in exterior design
Dislikes: interiors too plasticky, overdone & did not have a long- lasting feel; notchy gear shift; turbo lag; rear seat comfort; boot space

This was by far the toughest decision. We made five-six visits to GM showroom in a span of two months, each time accompanied by a looong TD!! I must say that GM sales personnel did an excellent job. They left no stone unturned to convince us to go in for Cruze. But somehow we could not convince ourselves to take the plunge.

It is my personal view that the Cruze gives a satisfaction only due to the long equipment list it comes with. Else it is not at all a driver’s car. The turbo lag is too pronounced, the gear shift very notchy. The car behaves like a sleeping beast till the turbo kicks in. After that there is such a thrust of power that you can’t just handle. We even tried our hands on the Auto box to iron out the gear-shift issue but were somehow left tearing our hair off!

Skoda Laura Diesel (Elegance Manual)
Dislikes: 110 BHP engine
No one in family was prepared to welcome third Laura, so we had to let it go too.

Skoda Yeti (Elegance 4X4)
Likes: Strong Engine; good ground-clearance; go-anywhere capability; fun-factor
Dislikes: Rear seat not good for long journey; tiny boot; not good as a family car; interiors identical to Laura

None of the cars could catch our fancy. We felt like “in the middle of nowhere” at this point of time and started focusing on the BMW 320d CE seriously. Although we were getting a very good discount on the car, we were very well aware that the new 3-series was due in the near future. Anyway it would not have been an everyday car it due to maintenance and repair costs, so we opted out of the choice.

September 2011........ I had read the reviews on the new Jetta in a few auto journals and were mesmerised with the car. It seemed to be an ideal choice to us and we sincerely hoped that VW would not bring in the US version of the car and instead move in the Europe-specced model. We kept our fingers crossed and kept waiting for the launching announcement.

Somewhere during that period the new Jetta was launched. Rushed to the showroom as soon as it was on display and TD vehicle available. One look at it and we were all floored with its charming beauty! We were eager to take it for a spin. Sadly enough, as with everybody else, the TD vehicle was a DSG while we were in for the manual box. Anyway, we had a TD and came out all-impressed. The car was 10/10 on our parameters. We requested the dealer to give us an off-the shelf kind of deal, but the car carried a waiting period of 6-8 weeks since its launch. Colour choice was turning out to be a tough decision. The mind oscillated between white-silver-leaf silver-brown and it was now well past diwali.

December 2011......It was by chance that the VW dealer had a Platinum Grey CL and a Black HL manual spare with him. The year was ending and the model would have turned down but the temptation was too much to resist.

We did not find the HL worth the extra premium and we zeroed in on the CL. It had most of the usable features of the HL leave apart a few like cruise control; two extra airbags; touch-screen audio system with parktronic-video display; i-pod interface; driver seat with electric controls (but without memory feature) and a few cosmetic features like atlanta alloy rims; aluminium package for window-sills. So two days and a few paper formalities later we had the dream car parked in our garage.

( I had seen pictures of previous CLs of fellow BHPians with cruise-control but this car was mysteriously missing the feature. A lot of deliberation and arguements with the dealer proved futile. The official feature list too had no mention of cruise-control on CL trim. The conclusion was that the initial CLs had carried the steering unit of HL and hence came with the cruise-control!!)

And the baby arrives home......First two days were spent admiring the beauty. I will agree with most people that the front look of the car resembles the VW Vento. But the similarity ends there itself. This car has a very subdued and matured look from the front. Look deeper into the car and I am sure that you will appreciate its clean lines and I-mean-business feel. And what to say about the rear look. Even now when I am behind a Jetta, I sometimes mistake it for an A4 from some distance.

Even after so many months of ownership, I keep admiring the sublime beauty. The design is such that it will remain fresh for quite some time to come.

The car has clocked 10k+, but it still feels as fresh as new. Every time I drive the car, I thank heavens for making the most sensible choice. Sure, there may be a few things still on the wish-list; ACC being on top of the list as with most Jetta owners/prospective owners. But we surely can live with these. The car may not have many fancy things but it is full of thoughtful features though. I have become a big fan of Hill-hold control. (The car holds itself from rolling back on an inclined surface for a few seconds; giving you ample time to pull off.) Then you have the cornering feature in the fog lamps that works in tandem with the steering; quite useful at night time for parking.

The ride is very composed at all speeds. The car can comfortably cruise at 120+ without feeling nervous. The steering feels great to hold and is quite precise. The suspension does a great job. The boot space is comparable to the Laura and can easily swallow a lot of luggage. A full size spare wheel gives you complete peace of mind for those long journeys. The rear seat is very comfortable and the wide leg space is an added bonus. The air-conditioner is quite effective and helps keep the hot summers of North India out of the car. Even after parking the car in sun, it is a matter of few minutes to cool down the cabin.
(to flush out the hot air, I suggest to keep all four windows partially rolled down for 3-4 minutes)

The quality of interiors is simply miles ahead of the competition. The fit, finish and feel of the materials; be it the dashboard, the door panels or the control and switch gears is superb. The light coloured interiors give an airy and elite feel to the cabin but to keep them spotless is a task in itself. Small but thoughtful features like the rain sensing wipers, automatic headlights, puddle lights further enhance the driving comfort and pleasure.

The engine is very responsive and quick and the slick six-speed gear box is a boon for mile-munching. You never feel short of power in any gear. Just floor the throttle and it fires off like a rocket!! The strong engine is fuel-efficient as well. Till now I have been managing a FE of about 17 kmpl. With a light foot, FE of 18-18.5 kmpl is pretty manageable.

Apart from numerous one-day trips, I have done two long distance trips so far and I just can’t wait for the next opportunity to take the car for a long spin!!

The music system is quite basic in features and operation although it does have an SD card reader and an aux-in but the sound output from the eight well-placed speakers is good. OEM tyres too could have been better. The standard Goodyear NCT5 do not match the package and spoil the ride to a great extent. Now I feel that we should have switched to Yokohama Decibel tyres initially. The front arm-rest is fixed and not very comfortable for elboy/fore-arm support.

One thing that has bothered me all this time is the elusive extended warranty cover which, I feel, is a must. The dealer has no information as to when it will be available. This issue has been raised so many times on this forum and everywhere else but VW does not seem to be concerned. Mean while we can keep our fingers crossed and hope that it is offered to the existing Jetta owners in the near future.

Faults till date:
1. Rear power window switch faulty. Will get it fixed during the first service at 15000 km.
2. Plastic cladding on boot hinge keeps coming off; the locks do not fit properly and most of them are now partly deformed/ broken.
One strange observation: One boot hinge comes with plastic cladding while the other one is naked!!

All said, the car is really a delight to drive and own; it is worth the money spent.

Here is a quick take on the like/don't like list.

Things I like:
1. Multi function steering wheel with Audio & MFD controls
2. Eight speaker audio system with SD card reader & Aux-in
3. Auto-retracting ORVMs
4. Spring-loaded Boot
5. Vanity mirrors with auto-lights
6. DRL
7. Fog lamps with cornering feature
8. Rear seat for its leg space, thigh support and shoulder space
9. Front & rear parktronic (Audio)
10. Hill-hold control
11. Six airbags
12. Fuel efficiency
13. Well planted ride
14. Rock solid build
15. Auto headlights
16. Puddle lights

Things I miss:
Well nothing really. But to name a few
1. Adjustable front arm-rest
2. Rear wind-screen curtain
3. Remote-controlled auto folding mirrors (can be folded only via internal switch)
4. ACC
5. OEM Floor matting

Many congratulations carzima. The new Jetta is indeed a great car to drive. I'm sure as you drive longer you'll realize how sorted its handling capabilities are and likely to forget some spartan gizmos. Great VFM.

Wonder why you did not consider the Superb since you have owned both the Laura & Octavia before.

Do keep updating your thread. Wish you a hassle free enjoyable ownership.

@Carizma : Congratulation for your car, though it has been long since you purchased the car. The classic and timeless styling of the car plus the strong built quality is really attractive. I only wish VW should have differentiated the Jetta from the Vento looks to give it a seperate identity.

Hope this one also excels in handling and ride comfort like other VW cars.

Wish you a happy and trouble free ownership.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:

Originally Posted by arup.misra (Post 2888455)
Many congratulations carzima. The new Jetta is indeed a great car to drive. I'm sure as you drive longer you'll realize how sorted its handling capabilities are and likely to forget some spartan gizmos. Great VFM.

Thanks. You are quite right. We did not go in for Cruze for exactly this reason . Though it has got a high equipment list, it is not at all a driver's delight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arup.misra (Post 2888455)
Wonder why you did not consider the Superb since you have owned both the Laura & Octavia before.

Superb has never been our wish-list though it is a SUPERB car in its own right. No body can question its quality feel and feature rich interiors. But for me, it is a bit too large for city use. More over our mind was all for a manual diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sommos (Post 2888485)
@Carizma : Congratulation for your car, though it has been long since you purchased the car. The classic and timeless styling of the car plus the strong built quality is really attractive. I only wish VW should have differentiated the Jetta from the Vento looks to give it a seperate identity.

Hope this one also excels in handling and ride comfort like other VW cars.

Wish you a happy and trouble free ownership.

Thanks, Sommos!!:) VW cars are definitely built to last ages. What to say about the ride and handling. Its really a class apart. I mean, the kind of confidence it imparts is marvelous.

I will definitely keep you all posted in the future as well.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats! The first time I saw the new Jetta, it felt more like an Audi from the rear. And that is actually a good thing.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does the RCD 320 on this car come with Bluetooth?

The online website says it does, but the sales guys so no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav2000 (Post 3498015)
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does the RCD 320 on this car come with Bluetooth?

That HU isn't an RCD 320. IINM this was marketed as the RCD 300 plus or something like that. No this HU does not have bluetooth nor a separate module. One of the niggles with the earlier versions of the Jetta sold - the steering has the phone controls on the left spoke but the HU lacked the support. This was an issue with the earlier models that came with the RCD 510 unit as well but the newer models have a separate bluetooth module that supports phone connectivity.

Thanks Gannu. Looks like you have solved this confusion for me. I wonder why the volkswagon India site insists it's rcd 320.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav2000 (Post 3498173)
Thanks Gannu. Looks like you have solved this confusion for me. I wonder why the volkswagon India site insists it's rcd 320.

I think it does. With the facelift my SA told me that the Jetta now has BT. I don't think RCD 310 has BT support (Mine doesn't anyway).
P.S. The VW site still mentions the Passat, so I don't think that it is updated very often by a knowledgable person

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav2000 (Post 3498015)

The OEM unit in the 2012-2013 models is an RCD 300+ although I am not sure about the current offering. This is a unit with basic features and gives a reasonably decent sound output. If you require blue tooth connectivity then you can install a Blue tooth kit (9W7) as many fellow BHPians have done. This kit pairs the phone and you get display of phone parameters (call log, calling/receiving number etc.) on the MFD. The sound quality and noice cancellation is very good in the 9W7 unit.

It has been almost three years since I bought the Jetta. The car has been a wonderful experience so far. One of the dislikes since beginning was the wood treatment. It was too cheap and plastic to my taste. The need to spice up the interiors was long due as well, to maintain the desirability quotient:). So here goes the make over. The wood has been changed to matt finish with open grains and the power window switch panels have been given an aluminium finish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carizma (Post 3501811)
It has been almost three years since I bought the Jetta. The car has been a wonderful experience so far. One of the dislikes since beginning was the wood treatment. It was too cheap and plastic to my taste. The need to spice up the interiors was long due as well, to maintain the desirability quotient:). So here goes the make over. The wood has been changed to matt finish with open grains and the power window switch panels have been given an aluminium finish.

Wow! where did you source the trim pieces from? I have been looking desperately for something similar for my passat. Thanks for sharing.

Your car looks good :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean (Post 3501842)
Wow! where did you source the trim pieces from? I have been looking desperately for something similar for my passat. Thanks for sharing.

Your car looks good :)

The mod has been done at home using 3M Di-NOC architectural vinyl (wood finish and brushed aluminium finish vinyls). The car looks much more matured and classy now.

Will be glad to help.

Looks superb and one would be hard pressed to say that this is a DIY. Did you remove the parts before doing the vinyl work?