Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 16:01   #61
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster 110 RxL – Am I there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
That portion is called the Scuttle Panel.
=================
-or overloaded (such as when pressure washing and directing the water jet at the scuttle panel for too long). So we got to watch out for that too.
Thank you for this enlightening info. I just dried out the car and hosed it down. There is a mugful of water getting retained on the left side of this 'scuttle panel'. Do you know if that problem can be resolved at home?

I don't want to drive 150 kilometers to the service center to just remove some rotting leaves. My first service is not due for another 800 kms (in my terms a couple of weeks) and there is no rain right now, so if I'm careful I can pull along till then.
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:31   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
Lovely pics Neil. Where is this location?

There were a couple of occasions the MRF Wanderers failed to bite. After a bit of spinning the gravel flew off and the tyres then gripped the underlying stones to move ahead.

I thought it was due to my inexperience driving in such terrain but my thought is the tyres that come with the Duster seem more suited to a highway drive than off-road.

Have you had a similar experience with your car? I was contemplating a change to something slightly wider or grippier (235/70 R16) like a Goodyear Wrangler AT or the one from MRF itself.

Any inputs are welcome.

Thanks,

Rajesh
The location is Asambu forests within Kanyakumari wildlife sanctuary. It is restricted to the common public and open only to estate owners and their nominees within sanctuary limits. Where I was put up, there was not a single soul within a 4 Km radius.

About the Tyres you are right. In certain places, where the grass was green on the incline, the tyres failed to grip.Certain manipulation of gradient and steering anti-lock helped me negotiate such inclines. I'm still on the fence when it comes to the Duster taking such inclines during torrential rains.
If 4x4 was available I guess this will not happen. I think stock tyres are meant for city driving and highway riding only. You can always go for AT tyres, but I personally will not go for it for 3 reasons.
1)Tyre noise
2)Low mileage compared to regular road tyres.
3)Lower comfort.

Have to also confirm if wanderers have AT in its genes. If so, then upgrade to michelin or goodyear will take care of grip issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Neil - did they not change the oil in the 10km service? I don't see any billing for the synthetic elf oil they use for the Duster? That would be 4k at least if I am not mistaken.
Prestigrade TS 15W is ELF mineral oil recommended by Renault India for Duster. I asked them for the synthetic oil, but the SA was a bit hesitant about using it, and wanted to get approval from Renault India, so I let it go at that. Interesting thing is that after the 10000Km service, the SA took the Duster for a 10Km test drive. It seems they are doing it for all the initial Dusters to analyse vehicle performance.
On a personal note, can you tell me what I may have missed out on the 10000km service. I saw your post about dust in pollen filter after I took delivery.So do share if anything else is there that I should look out for. I am taking the vehicle back to have the pollen filter checked.
Cheers.
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 01:48   #63
BHPian

Neil - that's a revelation, I was under the impression Renault is using Elf Synthetic for all Dusters here and abroad. Can you please reconfirm, are they not using synthetic in Fluence, it's the same engine, I will just reconfirm the exact grade, I have it saved somewhere.

I rechecked with my dealer in Pune and the service head, and he confirmed they are using Elf synthetic @ 850 per litre, around 4.5 litres used at 10000km service.

The initial engine oil is special for break in and that's why it's recommended to not change it till first service.

I understand global dusters have a cabin pollen filter which doesn't come on the India duster. The part is easily available abroad for some 10-15 usd, I am hoping it will cut off some of the odour that creeps into the cabin, but I have not tried to source it yet, hopefully the Fluence is using it, will check with the service folks.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 18:15   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
The location is Asambu forests within Kanyakumari wildlife sanctuary.
==============
Have to also confirm if wanderers have AT in its genes. If so, then upgrade to michelin or goodyear will take care of grip issues.
Thanks Neil. I was in Kanyakumari on Saturday. Have a friend there with an estate. He too said something about restrictions. I guess I'll have to wait for an opportunity

As for the tyres, I am aware about the FE drop with replacing the OE fitment. I guess I'll have to reconsider about my trips during the wet season, especially without the 4WD
Old 26th November 2012, 21:03   #65
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Neil - did they not change the oil in the 10km service? I don't see any billing for the synthetic elf oil they use for the Duster? That would be 4k at least if I am not mistaken.
Even i am in the same confusion.

In diesel cars, generally, the company prefers to change the Air Filter, Oil Filter. I dont see the bill for oil change.
Also, i think, there is no AC filter being used in Duster. Not sure though. It is available in Etios, Vento and other cars.

I was expecting that including coolant will be changed too. Not sure though.

If this is the service cost, then i would say its much cheaper.

Old 6th December 2012, 21:53   #66
BHPian

@Neil Roy or any one knew: I am planning to book 85ps rxl on saturday. can you suggest which show room is good (atleast good) at chennai. I am afraid of all the worst feed backs for kiviraj pearl. Anyways, my patient level is very high, so I decided for Duster.
Old 7th December 2012, 09:25   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for this enlightening info. I just dried out the car and hosed it down. There is a mugful of water getting retained on the left side of this 'scuttle panel'. Do you know if that problem can be resolved at home?

I don't want to drive 150 kilometers to the service center to just remove some rotting leaves.
Not sure about the solution to clear an already blocked scuttle panel. You could perhaps try compressed air to clear the block?
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 09:52   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Not sure about the solution to clear an already blocked scuttle panel. You could perhaps try compressed air to clear the block?
Just got that drained at the service center two days ago. Waiting for the car to dry out now, before giving it a spray with the garden hose. They also said that there is a problem with the A/C condensation drainage tube. Apparently, they need to dismantle the dashboard for that and need 4 days!

Please see this thread I started. Your inputs will be welcome to other Duster owners with such problems.

Thank you,

Rajesh
Old 7th December 2012, 09:58   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskesavan View Post
@Neil Roy or any one knew: I am planning to book 85ps rxl on saturday. can you suggest which show room is good (atleast good) at chennai. I am afraid of all the worst feed backs for kiviraj pearl. Anyways, my patient level is very high, so I decided for Duster.

To my knowledge there is only one dealer in Chennai which is Kiwraj having two showrooms one at Mount road and another at Anna nagar.

You can go for Rxl(o) 85 instead of Rxl which is added with ABS, Air bags, reverse sensors, and Alloys its a better bet between the two by the way, can you post the revised price list of various models after the price hike.

From today's Hindu I read all the Videshi car manufactures have decided to hike 10 - 20 percent from coming Jan 2013 so we can expect another price revision shortly from Renault and this will bring Duster in the same price band of XUV and B segment sedans, if so IMO we need to wait and watch does Duster still hold the popular demand factor.
Old 7th December 2012, 14:24   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
To my knowledge there is only one dealer in Chennai which is Kiwraj having two showrooms one at Mount road and another at Anna nagar.
======
IMO we need to wait and watch does Duster still hold the popular demand factor.
@: sathyaprakash, Thanks for your information. In today's TOI the renault announced offers up to Rs.40,000/- for SCALA, PULSE, FLUENCE.
Old 8th December 2012, 18:45   #71
BHPian

Today I booked RXL85ps with Khivraj Pearl, Chennai. Vehicle cost Rs.9,55,693/-. Registration and service charges Rs.1,10,569/-. Insurance Rs.34,699/-. Any idea about the correctness of the above charges?
Old 8th December 2012, 22:18   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Today I booked RXL85ps with Khivraj Pearl, Chennai. Vehicle cost Rs.9,55,693/-. Registration and service charges Rs.1,10,569/-. Insurance Rs.34,699/-. Any idea about the correctness of the above charges?

Well the total comes to 12,00,000/- on road for Rxl 85 whereas my 85 Rxl(o) cost 12,22,000/- before price hike and i got an discount of 15,000 towards insurance further 7000 towards mudflap, mat and sunfilm and the ORP was 12,00,000/-

Out of curiosity you have joined as early as 2007 but have posted only 26 times and still an Newbie why is it? are you banned all these years or what? by the way I am also a graduate of Law from Ambedkar law college Chennai studied between 92-95. Welcome change of your Avatar from ADVOCATE to I10

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 8th December 2012 at 22:31.
Old 8th December 2012, 23:21   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Body sound is there in the rear stepney. That is due to to the fact that when I had my tyre blowout, i removed the stepney rather amateurishly. Adrenaline rush combined with the fact that I was scared out of my pants at having safely overcome a tyre blowout did not help matters much.As of now the SA does not know how to arrest the sound, so I just turn up the music.
Well if that's the case, take out your stepney and tools from the car and take the red beauty for a ride. Does the sound still exist?

Quote:
When I was chatting up the SA for my 10000Kms service, common feedback given by customers was door and body rattling. In my opinion it is the mistake of the owners rather than the fault of Duster as a vehicle.I think that because the suspension is good, people have the tendency to rough ride over broken roads at high speeds. This is one of the major reasons for body rattling, as most of the parts are held together by plastic clips.Another reason is maybe the driving style. High gear and low rpms do not mix. Instead of trying to take a turn or bend from almost standstill at second gear,downshifting to first gear does a whole lot of good to body parts as well as engine bed.My two cents.
Very well said Neil, infact these are golden words as far as the Duster is concerned. Lets treat this car with love and not be carried out by videos on youtube.

I treat mine like my new gf, hope my wife does not read this.
Old 9th December 2012, 07:02   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Well the total comes to 12,00,000/- on road for Rxl 85 whereas my 85 Rxl(o) cost 12,22,000/- before price hike and i got an discount of 15,000 towards insurance further 7000 towards mudflap, mat and sunfilm and the ORP was 12,00,000/-

Out of curiosity you have joined as early as 2007 but have posted only 26 times and still an Newbie why is it? are you banned all these years or what? by the way I am also a graduate of Law from Ambedkar law college Chennai studied between 92-95. Welcome change of your Avatar from ADVOCATE to I10
Total is Rs.11,00,961/- not Rs.12 lakhs. I dont think they may give any such offers now because of the demand for the stuff. I took my i10 in 2007 when I joined this forum so I was very active at that time. Now I am taking Duster, so want to know every details of it. So again I become active in the forum. Otherwise I have very limited knowledge and interest in automobiles so not so active in the forum. That is the reason for my limited posts in the forum.
Old 10th December 2012, 16:33   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Even i am in the same confusion.

In diesel cars, generally, the company prefers to change the Air Filter, Oil Filter. I dont see the bill for oil change.
Only oil filter and oil was changed. They have used Elf mineral oil Presigrade 15/40. Guess it is part of Renault's go green policy to stay away from synthetic oil( I'm just guessing here)

Quote:
Just got that drained at the service center two days ago. Waiting for the car to dry out now, before giving it a spray with the garden hose. They also said that there is a problem with the A/C condensation drainage tube. Apparently, they need to dismantle the dashboard for that and need 4 days!
I have posted my views. Hope it solves your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Well if that's the case, take out your stepney and tools from the car and take the red beauty for a ride. Does the sound still exist?
Did even better. Bundled the senior most Service person, trained directly by Renault france specifically for Duster launch. into my boot and made him listen to the sound for a distance of 4 kms over rough roads. Left him scratching his head as to how to arrest the noise. After 2 months I think he has stopped scratching his head as he is yet to revert with a concrete solution. My stopgap arrangement is to have a 2 turn loose thread on the bolt which holds the stepney arrangements. Only if the bolt is tightened fully, the sound is more pronounced.
Quote:
First off, welcome to the party. It is a good choice, especially considering the state of chennai roads.Personally, I would have preferred an ABS version.Try to negotiate for insurance directly. You will save at least Rs.7500/-.
As far as sales and service experience goes, sales experience is pathetic. Service experience is actually quite enjoyable, if you are knowledgeable about the specifics of Duster.The service team are a very possessive and proud lot when it comes to Duster. I am actually very happy so far@1 0000kms of enjoyable service.Just now completed 11800Kms on the ODO and at the cost of repeating myself- A VERY WISE INVESTMENT.
Cheers
Neil Roy is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks