Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 08:36   #121
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster 110 RxL – Am I there yet?

Hey Sir. Wanted to confirm from you about the 60000 service for your prized possession. I am a proud owner of a duster 85 ps too and was quited approx rs. 18000 for the 60000 service because of majorly two changed parts- Accy belt and a bearing. Never explained which accy belt and what bearing they had to change, so I refused and they wrote it down on my service bill. Now I have to give my car for the 70000 service, so wanted to confirm if the parts should be changed now. Have you got the parts changed for your 60000 service?
Thanks.
Old 12th August 2015, 20:15   #122

Hi NeilRoy,I'm considering upgrading my Duster MRFs to either Conti CrossContact AT's in the stock size, or 225/70 Geolandar HT's like yours. I prefer to go for the 225/70 as I've always found the stock size to appear a little small for the wheel well - specially at the rear. Could you let me know how your experience has been with the Yoko's with regard to punctures etc - have heard some reports of weak sidewalls on Yokos.
Old 22nd August 2015, 17:28   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Hey Sir. Wanted to confirm from you about the 60000 service for your prized possession. I am a proud owner of a duster 85 ps too and was quited approx rs. 18000 for the 60000 service because of majorly two changed parts- Accy belt and a bearing. Never explained which accy belt and what bearing they had to change, so I refused and they wrote it down on my service bill. Now I have to give my car for the 70000 service, so wanted to confirm if the parts should be changed now. Have you got the parts changed for your 60000 service?
Thanks.
I changed belt and bearing at its periodic service but I am not sure at which service it was done. It is your call however on what you want done. I never do the brake pad replacement and disc skimming at the company. I purchase non OE spares for Rs. 950 and change them on my own every 35000 Kms. As long as you are strong with the fundamental knowledge of cars you are good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Hi NeilRoy,I'm considering upgrading my Duster MRFs to either Conti CrossContact AT's in the stock size, or 225/70 Geolandar HT's like yours. I prefer to go for the 225/70 as I've always found the stock size to appear a little small for the wheel well - specially at the rear. Could you let me know how your experience has been with the Yoko's with regard to punctures etc - have heard some reports of weak sidewalls on Yokos.
The comfort, mileage and less road noise are the biggest advantages of the Yokos. However, handling and braking is very severely compromised if you do high speeds. On more than one occasion, at panic braking, I thought I lost it. Speeds south of 90Km/hr are incredible to drive, but higher speeds is always asking for trouble. The biggest problem is the increase in Ground clearance. With 225/70 the GC is 225 mm and the Duster is not designed for high speed handling at this GC. If you can afford it go for the michelins OE size. Stock size might look small but 225/70 tyres rub against the front mud flaps.
I have completed 95000 Kms so far and I am already thinking of going for 215/75 R15 up size as there are more options in ATs at lesser price
I know that the rims have to be changed too, but it is just my personal choice.
I do a lot of trips inside reserve forest roads where roads are non existent and hence my preference for ATs. Hope it helps.
Old 8th April 2016, 12:37   #124
BHPian

Finally, after 3.5 years and 110250 Kms, I parted ways with my Duster. Selling my Duster was one of the hardest decisions to make, but with age , new face lift and 120000 Km service estimate being sizable the decision was made to let her go. Some of the best memories of my driving adventure have been with the Duster. Goodbye my friend, and Godspeed.

Renault Duster 110 RxL – Am I there yet?-wp_20151004_17_25_00_pro.jpg
Neil Roy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 17:01   #125
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Goodbye my friend, and Godspeed.
Attachment 1494956
OMG! Very touching. The first one to show up on Team-BHP and the first one to go. Wish our parted friend a great life ahead.

Regarding the 120 K service, could you please share the expected cost? My dad finds himself in a similar situation with 3 years and 5 months of ownership and 85K on the odo.
Old 10th November 2016, 19:52   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Finally, after 3.5 years and 110250 Kms, I parted ways with my Duster. Selling my Duster was one of the hardest decisions to make, but with age , new face lift and 120000 Km service estimate being sizable the decision was made to let her go. Some of the best memories of my driving adventure have been with the Duster. Goodbye my friend, and Godspeed.
Hi Neil,

Its sad to know that you have sold your Duster. Strangely I read about else where here (guess in the Duster official review thread) about Duster being sold when nearing 120k kms. Reasons quoted were the expensive forthcoming 120k service.

Why is 120k service in Duster expensive? I understand that the timing belt needs to be changed once every 60k kms. Apart from this, what else needs to be changed at 120k kms?

Also from some posts I gather information that clutch overhaul will include flywheel change also and expenses can be to tune of ~ Rs 45k for parts + labor. is this true? If yes then this is very expensive. In your ownership I dont think so clutch was ever changed.

Curious to know the long term ownership costs associated with Duster.

And lastly what has been your next car? After driving Duster, I am sure it would have been hard to find a car/suv that rides like Duster.

Thanks!
Old 15th November 2016, 14:42   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
Hi Neil,

Why is 120k service in Duster expensive? I understand that the timing belt needs to be changed once every 60k kms. Apart from this, what else needs to be changed at 120k kms? ......
And lastly what has been your next car? After driving Duster, I am sure it would have been hard to find a car/suv that rides like Duster.

Thanks!
Glad that my review is still useful to folks. Once any car crosses the 1L mark, a mental block sets in that, from that point onward maintenance issues will crop up(totally unwarranted, hence the word 'mental'. )
120K and 60K services are very similar but clutch overhaul becomes a genuine issue, which has to be anticipated. My primary reason for selling was the AC water seepage issue. It never got solved. As long as Duster is riding on roads the unit assembly alignment is perfect. However, if I land the Duster in some deep potholes, the alignment gets changed and the seepage issue starts. After 70K kms, I had to realign the AC unit 3 times and still the problem was not solved Renault never charged me for these works even after warranty but still I had to drive non AC couple of times with family on long distance and that proved critical in my choice of selling the Duster.
I so wanted my new ride to be the AWD duster but Renault Chennai never told me about the impending face lift launch. Hence I bought this.
Renault Duster 110 RxL – Am I there yet?-cruze3.jpg

One of the many subtle mods.
Renault Duster 110 RxL – Am I there yet?-cruze1.jpg

I went ahead and bought myself a market dud. Duster is and always will be a part of family. The all new cruze is a fine and excellent highway cruiser but a far second when compared to Duster for Value for money or an all round car.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 18:40   #128
BHPian

Thanks for the updates Neil.

The clutch overhaul seems expensive, especially I am unable to understand why the flywheel needs replacement.

And you got another nice driver's car, although its a surprise to me that you moved on to a low slung sedan from the Duster's 200 mm GC.

Wishing you the best with Cruze, its only one macho looking sedan available. Have fun.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks