Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2012, 18:58   #1
BHPian

Beauty And The Grey Beast! Renault Duster RxL 110 (O)

PREFACE

To call car buying a process or a procedure would be taking Romance out of the whole thing! I am not very technically into Cars but more or less passionate about them. My Idea of a perfect drive is to a country or open road with a nice song in background and if it rains then it's Perfect Bliss!!

Scenario that lead to Car Buying

I am currently driving Corolla Altis 2009 and pretty satisfied with this no nonsense sedan. My wife drive Honda which had done around 1.25 Lakh Kilometres, was more than 6 year old and was giving troubles every now and then. So it was nice time for Car Shopping. I read about DUSTER while looking for new car launches and got hooked. wifey too liked the shape and I regularly followed teambhp's thread on DUSTER. so when car was launched , we booked the same and were eagerly waiting official review and test drive to reaffirm our decision

ALTERNATIVES….

Duster came into picture much later but alternatives we were looking at were

Honda City : We have always loved this car but somehow after sales service has left a sour taste as far as *** with Honda Dealers in Gurgaon is concerned. Our Six year old Honda had started giving lots of trouble in past 1 year or so and probably this was the reason we were turned off by the Honda City. Further our usage demanded a diesel car in current scenario

Nissan Sunny : CAAR appealed more than others and we loved the toffee brown colour. The Test drive also cemented our desire to buy this car but braking was something which left a lot to be desired for. Though a feature loaded car , we preferred Duster any day over Sunny.

Renault Fluence : Fluence simply bowled us over. The Design, Interior Quality and finish was very nice. The Features though in E2 model were a bit on downside but Test drive of the car , which we took on the same day as Nissan Sunny simply bowled us over. But Fluence was more than we could stretch financially so we almost settled for Nissan Sunny but it was not be.

Skoda Rapid : Skoda Rapid though a Vento in disguise is still a competent and good looking car. But since We already have a VW Vento in the family so it lost out on that count.

DUSTER :We took test drive of the car, choose 85 RXL (O) which we felt suited our needs best and confirmed the variant to Dealer .

DEALER'S THE KING

it is indeed worthless to talk about the dealership experience but it needs to be mentioned and I would rate it not more than 2 on a scale of 1-10. I had to endure more than 4-5 days for completion of Financial Formalities, Bank Loan paperwork and other formalities.

PRICING AND VARIANT

110 RXL (O) is EX-Showroom Delhi @ 10.50 LAKHS, Insurance which I took from ICICI Lombard is another 28K + Road Tax Regn /Logistic Charges 84K so it cost me 11.60 L approx on road.[/COLOR]

VARIANT 110 RXL(O) offers Airbags, Alloy Wheels, Rear Parking Sensor as extra over 110 RXL and does not have a cumbersome rear ac unit to trouble.

I did not opt for any 3M Coating for the Car. [/COLOR]

D-DATE

I did my share of Pre-Delivery Checks, Odometer showed 40 Km run, Date of Mfr was Aug, thankfully no scratches, paint finish nice, Dealer rep explained the audio, bluetooth setting, wiper settings, spare wheel changing technique. so it was all ok So after much delay OUR GREY GENTLE BEAST was finally out for the long drive home. We had to get the tank full as there was hardly any fuel in the car. I handed the keys to my father, whom i wanted to take the first drive of our gentle beast. We had customary Puja at temple for Safer drives in Future. Kids were estatic about the car and fell in love with duster. Their excitement was even more than us. [/COLOR]

FIRST FEW DAYS OF OWNERSHIP

Foremost I am just a layman so would offer no advice just my observations

1. Exteriors looks work for me . I love the stance of the car and "Metallic Grey" is growing on me day by day

2. Interiors are decent and contempary yet it is quality of plastic switches and knobs that worry me . How long will they last ??

3. Seat Covers are nice fabric but lighter color will make them dirty soon.

4. Tyres are big and alloys could not have been better

5. Highway drives are a pleasure . The Gentle beast just cruises . NVH Levels are comparable to petrol sedans . No one can tell it is a Diesel car from inside , hardly any engine sound coming inside the cabin.

6. City bumper to bumper traffic is a pain. Clutch feels harder, gear shift notchy and steering too heavy. Maybe 85 PS would do better but for me that is not an option now.

7. View from Windshield and height makes the car near perfect. I love the looks the car attracts as of now.

8. ORVMs are too small for size of this car.

9. Negotiating in small lanes and crowded places is an issue with broad wheel arches of this beast.

10. Pot holes ? Where are they ? yes it eats potholes and road bumps with relish.

11. AC very satisfactory, would not need a rear AC. but real test would come in REAL DELHI SUMMER

12. Niggles : touch wood no major niggles as of now. on small rattle on driver side window. will need to get it checked.

ENGINE PERFORMANCE

Every time you start the car, the engine gives a small thaw kind of sound , maybe a grunt. The same thing I noticed in my Diesel Genset but comparing car engine to a Diesel Generator engine is not very forthright for a car engine I suppose. The turbo lag in bumper to bumper traffic is evident but otherwise engine is very exceptional and sound levels inside the cabin are very very low. So far I have driven upto speeds of 100-110 Kmph and Engine has performed very satisfactorily.

Gear Shifts

I am still getting used to driving the Sixth gear and still not sure about at which speed to slot into the sixth. I have tried it at 80Kmph , though rpm immediately drops at around 1700 level the speed remains around 80-90 kmph. Gear slots are not proper and as soon as I press the clutch and touch the gear knob, gear is out of the slot and gives a very rubbery feel while shifting. Probably this what is called Gear shift being notchy ?

USAGE PATTERN

The Gentle Beast is expected to be driven around 60-70 Kms per day and it is less tiring to drive than my corolla altis may be because of the height? The Seat ingress and egress used to trouble my back a lot in corolla.

Fuel Efficiency : is around 13.6 KM/L . I hope it will climb towards 14-15 as time goes and with first service as our drive is a bit of expressway and city.

RIDE QUALITY ride quality is the highlight of this car as it is not loaded with any gizmos and does have great plastic quality but when it comes to ride, it is amazing. On a good road it is good and on the bad potholed road it is still good. With high ground clearance you are never bothered about the road bumps and pot holes.

EASE OF PARKING

I found the rear parking sensors as waste as they hardly give a definitive beep to the object. I would have to opt for a rear view camera as I feel this car being so beamy would need some aid for parking. I have had some issues driving into narrow lanes and did have a scary moment parking in underground parking in mall with tight pillars and narrow lanes.

Clutch and Steering

I have found clutch on the heavier side and steering wheel even harder. Though after driving almost 600 kms now, I am getting used to it. I would want to put leather on hard steering.

ADD ONS

As of now I have put steel exhaust finisher (after Market) on exhaust pipe and Transparent Plastic footmats for rainy season.

In future I would want a rear view Camera, Speakers for Music System and Leather Seat Covers but they will come as the pocket will allow

Happiness Quotient :

Kids, Wife and Parents all very happy with the new duster. kids want the ride to school in it ! it is indeed a very welcome change from the sedans that we have.
Attached Thumbnails
Beauty And The Grey Beast! Renault Duster RxL 110 (O)-optimizedimg_8588.jpg  

Beauty And The Grey Beast! Renault Duster RxL 110 (O)-optimizedimg_8590.jpg  

Beauty And The Grey Beast! Renault Duster RxL 110 (O)-optimizedimg_8586.jpg  

Beauty And The Grey Beast! Renault Duster RxL 110 (O)-optimizedimg_8585.jpg  

Beauty And The Grey Beast! Renault Duster RxL 110 (O)-optimizedimg_8591.jpg  

Beauty And The Grey Beast! Renault Duster RxL 110 (O)-optimizedimg_8592.jpg  

Beauty And The Grey Beast! Renault Duster RxL 110 (O)-optimizedimg_8595.jpg  

Beauty And The Grey Beast! Renault Duster RxL 110 (O)-optimizedimg_8596.jpg  

Beauty And The Grey Beast! Renault Duster RxL 110 (O)-optimizedimg_8597.jpg  

Beauty And The Grey Beast! Renault Duster RxL 110 (O)-optimizedimg_8598.jpg  

Last edited by Nitinz : 14th September 2012 at 12:32. Reason: Edited to put a more comprehensive view
Nitinz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 20:28   #2
BHPian

re: Beauty And The Grey Beast! Renault Duster RxL 110 (O)

Congrats on your buy Nitin!! Need photos ASAP!!

Was really hoping you would end up with the 85 ps as there really is no real review of that for Duster. Its just arbitrarily said that it will be better in city because its like that for the Sunny! Really looking forward to a real review for the same!

But according to your story, Renault does not seem interested in selling the 85. It was speculated that the 85 will sell more than the 110, but it seems otherwise!

Anyways congrats on your buy sir! Waiting for you pics!!
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 22:47   #3
BHPian

Congratulations and am envious of you. I would have really got myself a 110 RXL(O) if only it was offered here. Even recently I checked and the dealer kept saying it was either 85 O or RXZ O :(
Agree with you that the Grey is 'growing on' me too
thalavoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 23:15   #4
BHPian

Congrats Nitinz. Nice and crisp writing.

"just a layman so would offer no advice just my observations"

Liked this disclaimer up front. Infact a lot of people start up as a layman but sharing experiences and learning from fellow comrades one does upshift to the pro category pretty soon. Am sure you'd be one of them

Wish you have a hassle free ownership for a long time. To complete your ownership review please post some snaps and do keep updating your experiences here.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 23:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations for your latest acquisition. It's raining duster in Team-BHP.

I am surprised to see that you got 110ps RXL (O) pack. What surprised me more is that, This model is not listed anywhere on Duster's official site.

Can you please post some pics as well, Including interiors and all.

Wish you wonderful miles ahead with her, Drive safe.

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 12:43   #6
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's Note: Thread moved to Ownership section from Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Old 14th September 2012, 12:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on getting the Duster!

So many Duster ownership here shows the success of the vehicle. Hope Renault does live to the expectation in the after sales too.

Drive safe and all the Best!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 12:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car, from the front in flesh the Duster looks like the bottom part of the bumper is missing as the height of the car is not like a fully blown SUV but the ground clearance is as much as a Safari. Like you mentioned the 205mm clearance really helps in potholes and awkward speed bumps.

Just one question, did you get to test drive the 85ps to check on the lag? I am guessing it will be quite good in city as there would next to nil lag. Plus highways should not be a problem as the engine is 1.5L.

Also on the mileage part I would say that you will see the real mileage after 10k kms as my diesel Manza started giving really good city mileages after 15k kms.

Last edited by motomaverick : 14th September 2012 at 12:58.
Old 14th September 2012, 13:01   #9
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride. It does pay to be patient, I guess. Maybe if I had waited. I too could have got the 11 RXL(O).
One question, Why no mud flaps? In chennai, mudflaps and floor mats are complimentary, with the mandatory phrase " Saar, only for you saar."
Anyways,wish you miles and miles of happy driving.
Old 14th September 2012, 13:11   #10
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase Nitin. I'm waiting for my RXL (O) 85BHP, the dealer is pushing RXL 85 and RXL 110 but i'm not budging. Hopefully should get the delivery by the end of this month.

On the steering hardness, i think just get used to it. I think it's good compared to the super light not feedback steerings of many other cars. I have a Fiesta and it's steering is much harder (it's Hydraullic). So when i drove the Duster steering actually seemed light

One of the disappointments i have with Duster is the ICE quality. Please update as soon as you have done something to that
Old 14th September 2012, 13:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarsiddhi View Post
Congrats on your purchase Nitin. I'm waiting for my RXL (O) 85BHP, the dealer is pushing RXL 85 and RXL 110 but i'm not budging. Hopefully should get the delivery by the end of this month.

On the steering hardness, i think just get used to it. I think it's good compared to the super light not feedback steerings of many other cars. I have a Fiesta and it's steering is much harder (it's Hydraullic). So when i drove the Duster steering actually seemed light

One of the disappointments i have with Duster is the ICE quality. Please update as soon as you have done something to that
Thanks Kumar, yes Dealers are pushing for 85 RXL or 110 RXL as 85 RXL (O) is not coming from Renault. Why Renault launched a variant and is not producing the same is a mystery ? IMHO RXL 85(O) is the value for money and best variant of the lot.

Yes I am also getting used to steering hardness. Yes the Speaker for Music System is a big disappointment though Head Unit seems ok interms of features like bluetooth connectivity and Ipod Connectivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Congrats on your new ride. It does pay to be patient, I guess. Maybe if I had waited. I too could have got the 11 RXL(O).
One question, Why no mud flaps? In chennai, mudflaps and floor mats are complimentary, with the mandatory phrase " Saar, only for you saar."
Anyways,wish you miles and miles of happy driving.
Thanks Niel, No I did not get mud flaps or floor mat as complimentary and worst part is they insisted on selling them to me and so the amount was added in the downpayment. But when it came to delivery they said item is out of stock and we shall get them installed at time of service or my visit next time around.

lot of mud gets stuck beneath and underside of wheel arches and even of door sides probably due to it's design ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Congrats on the new car, from the front in flesh the Duster looks like the bottom part of the bumper is missing as the height of the car is not like a fully blown SUV but the ground clearance is as much as a Safari. Like you mentioned the 205mm clearance really helps in potholes and awkward speed bumps.

Just one question, did you get to test drive the 85ps to check on the lag? I am guessing it will be quite good in city as there would next to nil lag. Plus highways should not be a problem as the engine is 1.5L.

Also on the mileage part I would say that you will see the real mileage after 10k kms as my diesel Manza started giving really good city mileages after 15k kms.
Thanks motomaverick

yes I would want to have some more cladding for better protection. I would love to have side claddings for door as well. lets see when do they offer that. Whatever you ask as an accessory, Dealer says it is yet to come for Renault, like i asked for Leather Cover for Steering and Chrome Exhaust Finisher . I did get to Test Drive 85 RXL , it is definitely a better drive in the City specially in bumper to bumper traffic. Clutch and steering are softer in comparison. Yet the Optional Pack was no where in sight which i had intially opted for. hence had to opt for RXL110(O)

Yes The Average should definitely improve after first Service of 2000Kms. crossed 700Km today so hoping the average too settles to around 15-16KMPL after a while.

Cheers

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th September 2012 at 13:57. Reason: Please don't use bold to reply to anyone. Thanks.
Old 14th September 2012, 14:31   #12
BHPian

Many congratulations on your grey beast !!

The car definitely seems like a gentle beast from whatever i have seen on the roads. From the pics it seems like the gear box is placed rather high, hope that doesn't cause any discomfort in the drive.

How about the turbo lag of the car ?? and how do you feel is the city maneuverability of the car ??
Old 14th September 2012, 15:51   #13
BHPian

Congratulations Nitin on acquiring your new ride! You have made a wise decision. Most people end up buying another sedan or a 7-seater when the latter one is absolutely not needed. A 5-seater vehicle with decent ride quality and abilty to tackle rough roads is the necessity of the day as parking space is becoming a headache for bigger vehicles. There is a Duster of same color as yours in my office complex and I have seen ladies staring at it many times and saying "that is the Duster." If there are no initial niggles in this vehicle and Renault provides good after sales, they have a winner for sure.
Old 14th September 2012, 17:13   #14
BHPian

Congrats Nitinz! Lucky you, having got hands on RXL 110 (O). You got a 5 seater instead of 4. Those opting for RXZ might be cursing renault. The chrome exhaust tip looks good. And yes, you would need to change those speakers, I wonder why manufacturers skimp on this aspect when only a few thousands could do wonders.

Enjoy your ride and may this prover super reliable to you.
Old 14th September 2012, 22:50   #15
BHPian

Congrats Nitinz on acquiring Duster.
Probably first on Tbhp in Delhi/Ncr.
How was the dealer experience,pls share.
How was your SA in Delhi Renault West?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks