Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:09   #61
BHPian

Re: Cappuccino Beige Czech Tank is here! My Skoda Laura 2.0 Elegance MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
... embossed IND plates instead, see my thread to see how they look on a Laura.
Thanks for the suggestion Akshay!

I did go through your thread. But the very first pic of the car (frontal view) you have posted seems to be having a different number plate and later pics carry the "IND" type embossed plates. Know what? I felt the plain number plate in the first pic appeared better to me ! (yes, I agree that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but still the non-IND plates look better to me). I think the non - "IND" embossed plates which I ordered is going to have same fonts as in your first pic but with a thin chrome lining surrounding each character. I went for this after seeing a Jetta, a Civic and a VW Vento with similar plates which belong to my colleagues (couldn't get a Laura for comparison though as none whom I know around have it).
Your rear number plate looks smaller for the space available there. Do these "IND" plates have a standard length and height or can they be customized to the space available on the vehicle?

Also I saw an "IND" plate where the black border of a digit looked bit irregular. I had these great looking "IND" plates for my Dzire previously. Then the local person said he was getting it from Bangalore. But this fellow here says there are many more centers around here now and plate will be available in a day. That made me think that this should be a very profitable business and lot of counterfeits too must be going around other than those "Utsav" or other standard makes of these plates. Somehow the "IND" plates he was selling didn't look very neat. So I opted out of it.

Last edited by dezrskb : 3rd October 2012 at 15:14.
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Do these "IND" plates have a standard length and height or can they be customized to the space available on the vehicle?
This is exactly how a High Security Number Plate should look - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2785006
Old 3rd October 2012, 21:32   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
This is exactly how a High Security Number Plate should look -
Your number plate looks neat dkaile, but the one I was offered didn't look so neat and additionally the hologram is below the "IND". So might be a counterfeit. But I am sure we are being ripped here. For my Dzire, they took around 1K . Anyway right now here its not being strictly enforced. Let me get the HSNPs when and if they get strictly enforced. But it does kind of look good on your Superb. Also please let me know where exactly is the brand name "Utsav" mentioned. I am sure if Utsav is popular, there may be many counterfeits too.

Last edited by dezrskb : 3rd October 2012 at 21:37.
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:29   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also please let me know where exactly is the brand name "Utsav" mentioned. I am sure if Utsav is popular, there may be many counterfeits too.
These are "official" number plates from Uttaranchal RTO at Haldwani. Utsav is mentioned on the receipt I received, not on the number plates, as any official plate cannot have anything else mentioned more/less than what you see on these plates.
Old 3rd October 2012, 23:18   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
any official plate cannot have anything else mentioned more/less than what you see on these plates.
I was under the impression that the manufacturing company could print their name on the backside of the number plate as anyway this would not be visible. Also whether "Utsav" sells these number plates online?
Old 3rd October 2012, 23:24   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb

I was under the impression that the manufacturing company could print their name on the backside of the number plate as anyway this would not be visible. Also whether "Utsav" sells these number plates online?
No, only the designated company can print it.

Before the supreme court passed the ruling for the high security plates, these used to be available online on utsav website.but these were madE to German specs, not Indian.

After the ruling the high security plates can only be fitted under the supervision of RTO.
Old 5th October 2012, 12:52   #67
BHPian

Tire Puncture !

Well, the Goodyear Eagle NCT has had its first puncture thanks to a a sharp screw which to me looked capable of puncturing anything it liked. But I found it before it caused completely flat tire. I check the tire pressures once a week with the Michelin digital pressure meter. Left rear tire had pressure of 20 psi today morning! Others had 32. Visually tire hardly looked flatter. But I looked hard and found the head of a screw deep between the treads. Drove slowly to nearby repair shop and got the puncture removed. Credit should should go to the screw rather than the bad tire by the looks of it.

Number plate update

I added another 400Rs to the amount dealer was giving for the free number plate (fibre / plastic with stickers) and went for the "IND" type. Non IND embossed plate will be available tomorrow. I think I have enough to last for the lifetime of the vehicle.
This is how they look like. Good? (they are not officially RTO fitted here but from a number plate vendor)
Attached Thumbnails
Cappuccino Beige Czech Tank is here! My Skoda Laura 2.0 Elegance MT-20121005_121433.jpg  

Cappuccino Beige Czech Tank is here! My Skoda Laura 2.0 Elegance MT-20121005_121455.jpg  

Cappuccino Beige Czech Tank is here! My Skoda Laura 2.0 Elegance MT-20121005_121508.jpg  

Old 5th October 2012, 13:01   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Your number plate looks neat dkaile, but the one I was offered didn't look so neat and additionally the hologram is below the "IND". So might be a counterfeit. But I am sure we are being ripped here. For my Dzire, they took around 1K
Totally OT. But, a recent trip to a private number plate vendor to replace the rear number plate of the 'Bird and the guy tells me, 600! What???
He says it is issued by the government and is not available at the shop. Yeah right! All these guys are doing is make hay while the sun shines.

To answer your question, definitely a counterfeit.

Nice colour choice for the car. Pinch. Wish you a happy and safe driving.
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 22:01   #69
BHPian

Just returned from a tour to Mysore.

Went for a tour to Mysore, basically for sake of giving kids a break. Original plan was to some Hill station but it had to be within reasonable driveable distance from Udupi. But having seen most of them around in Kerala, Karnataka and Tamil nadu, opted for a short tour to Mysore. Will post a travelogue with photos some time in near future. Gist of the story is Laura handled very well, returned a good mileage and is pleasure to drive.

Scratches are here now, but not accidental !
2 weeks back I noticed a superficial scratch stretching horizontally from just behind the front right wheel, again on driver side door and another short one on right back door. But clearly handiwork of some sadist. Gave me a sinking feeling. But on close examination, scratch is superficial one. To make a long story short, I ordered a scratch filling pen from e bay. It did really a good job on part of the scratch which became virtually invisible unless subjected to close examination. Then I ordered Skoda Laura cappuccino beige metallic paint bottle (not authentic skoda but definitely same color). Got it today. Have painted a scratch on the back bumper. Let me see the effect after two days. None of the scratches are visible from 3 feet away though. Of course it is neighbour's envy now as all the scratches appeared while it was parked in the apartment and not outside. I have waxed it with super hard shell turtle wax now and it has a bright shine, no wonder evokes jealousy.
Old 3rd November 2012, 00:48   #70
BHPian

Hi

In my laura ambient dsg tdi parts of the front windscreen seem to fog up because of the ac.

Is there any solution to the same
Old 3rd November 2012, 01:26   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Hi

In my laura ambient dsg tdi parts of the front windscreen seem to fog up because of the ac.

Just mention it the next time you go to the service centre. I don't know what they do, but its a known issue and they fix it.
Old 3rd November 2012, 21:07   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Just mention it the next time you go to the service centre. I don't know what they do, but its a known issue and they fix it.
Hi amidoc and akshay,
If whole of windshield is fogging up, then I think you should raise the temperature a bit and keep re-circulation off.
But if it is fogging in small areas at the lower windshield adjacent to dashboard, then it is a known issue.
I know what they do and how they fix it.
But I think it involves opening the dashboard or part of it probably. They just block those few A/c vents with a paper / a plastic.
When I went to Bangalore for replacing my front windshield, I just happened to have a casual chat with a service advisor. He says it is a known problem and told me how it is fixed (as I mentioned above). But it is done quickly though. Also I don't know whether there are any side effects of this. Same was done to my vehicle and no issues till now. No windshield fogging either.
Old 3rd November 2012, 22:13   #73
BHPian

Hi

Just got back from a long drive of my dsg laura. I used to drive a Honda city before this and my word this feels like such a different car. The suspension set and handling is like as if a carpet has been laid out and she handles uneven roads like a tank. the interior is simple and functional with good quality of plastics used all over. the headlights also have a very good spread.

I have couple of questions /observations

In traffic condition with constant stop and go is there any chance the car will stall.

What is the difference between the d and the s mode

How do i use the gear box like a manual gear box

What is the tire pressure to be kept with light load and full load. I have 195/65 R 15 tires. The same size is not mentioned inside the fuel cap which shows the tire pressure

The reading in the display panel show may diff readings . The fuel consumption show litres/100 km . is there any way to change the same to a conventional read out like in the honda city

On the ambient version what are the kind of accessories once can look at across the following categories

Music System- No direct ipod connectivity have to go through the aux route and not usb. Does it have a impact on the sound. No remote control also to control the same from the back seat

Seats- Upgrade to leather.

Tires. Should one change the make from good year to Yokohama or Michelin. Is there really a material difference

other tip or suggestions.
Old 3rd November 2012, 22:41   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

is there any chance the car will stall.
What is the difference between the d and the s mode
How do i use the gear box like a manual gear box
What is the tire pressure to be kept with light load and full load. I have 195/65 R 15 tires. The same size is not mentioned inside the fuel cap which shows the tire pressure
The reading in the display panel show may diff readings . The fuel consumption show litres/100 km . is there any way to change the same to a conventional read out like in the honda city
what are the kind of accessories ?
Music System- No direct ipod connectivity..
Seats- Upgrade to leather.
Tires. Should one change the make from good year to Yokohama or Michelin. Is there really a material difference
Hi,
I have a Elegance MT Laura. So I think people having a DSG version are better qualified to answer. But still I too had few of the same doubts, so..
Stalling- MT version may stall in low RPMs. I have stalled mine a couple of times. But I think AT version will not stall in any stop and go traffic. Using DSG like a manual gear box? You can. However only sequentially. But I am sure all this is there in the user guide / manual. S mode allows you to hold higher RPMs before automatic upshifts- I guess it suits a bit bit aggressive driving style. Reg tire pressure - you have to convert the units mentioned inside the fuel lid into PSIs. Display readings can be converted to Kms/ lit with VAS, a software with Skoda service but not by users, unless you have the knowledge and VAG-COM software I guess.
For me, the music quality is good enough. I dont use my ipod there. So dont know much about it.
But about tires - your size is cheaper to upgrade to Michelin / Yokohamas. Mine is a different size and quite expensive. But I guess it is worth the money.

Last edited by dezrskb : 3rd November 2012 at 22:46.
Old 4th November 2012, 00:03   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi

1)In traffic condition with constant stop and go is there any chance the car will stall.

2)What is the difference between the d and the s mode

3)How do i use the gear box like a manual gear box

4)What is the tire pressure to be kept with light load and full load. I have 195/65 R 15 tires. The same size is not mentioned inside the fuel cap which shows the tire pressure

5)The reading in the display panel show may diff readings . The fuel consumption show litres/100 km . is there any way to change the same to a conventional read out like in the honda city

6)On the ambient version what are the kind of accessories once can look at across the following categories

7)Music System- No direct ipod connectivity have to go through the aux route and not usb. Does it have a impact on the sound. No remote control also to control the same from the back seat

8)Seats- Upgrade to leather.

9)Tires. Should one change the make from good year to Yokohama or Michelin. Is there really a material difference

other tip or suggestions.
Let me try and answer some

1)Nope the car will never stall even though it may give a small jerk when the gear engages in the DSG. Though if a stop is more than 10 seconds its recommended to move it to N for the DSGs health.

2)S is sport mode, so it will hold onto gears till higher rpms, downshift earlier, always keep you in the torque band, and also make the car more responsive. Mileage will drop a tiny bit.

3)You can use it almost like a manual, when in D push it to the left, and then up or down to change gears. If your rpm goes too low in a gear it will downshift automatically.

4)I keep 30 with normal loads and 32 with high loads. The recommended pressure makes the ride a bit stiff.

5)Only through vag-com, not at the service centre. You will have to find someone with vag-com.

6)All you would need are xenon lights, and maybe the bluetooth kit if compatible with your head unit. There are loads of accessories, look at superskoda.com as an example.

7)The sound would be about the same even if connected through usb.

8) Stick to something like Stanley, even get the doorpads done. I think a cinammon or saddle brown would look great.

9)Switching to Yokohama or Michelin would make a big difference since the OE Goodyears are crap. They are hard, and noisy and aren't great at gripping. You could also upgrade to 16" wheels which will look good, member robinmahanta with the 300bhp tsi is selling his vrs rims and michelin tires.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks