Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 14:49   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

@Frank,

Though in this case it may be a real misalignment, I learnt an interesting fact from my Laura's manual - the headlights are never aligned 100% straight - they are aligned slightly to the left for RHD countries and slightly to the right for LHD countries. So one should not try to achieve 100% straight line setting. (I think the idea is to have the footpath and the edge of the road always visible - for safety).

This should cool your nerves a little bit.

BTW, why are you running around garrages?
Why don't you go to Honda and get it checked?

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 01:07   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
@Frank,

Though in this case it may be a real misalignment, I learnt an interesting fact from my Laura's manual - the headlights are never aligned 100% straight - they are aligned slightly to the left for RHD countries and slightly to the right for LHD countries. So one should not try to achieve 100% straight line setting. (I think the idea is to have the footpath and the edge of the road always visible - for safety).

This should cool your nerves a little bit.

BTW, why are you running around garrages?
Why don't you go to Honda and get it checked?

Cheers!
Yes, that's exactly the reason why importing headlights officially from European countries (which have LHD cars) is not recommended, even though they share the same parts bin as their Indian counterparts. The light might look the same and fit flush, but it will be unsafe as beam scatter will be directed to the left, instead of the right side and hence will blind oncoming drivers, esp on Highways.

I used the lights tonight for the first time since I upgraded them and the beam looks the SAME as the 51 w bulb. The extra 30 w is not showing. I attribute it to bad focusing as well...

I will turn to Honda soon, if there's no solution outside.
Old 31st October 2012, 02:58   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
...from European countries (which have LHD cars).... as beam scatter will be directed to the left, instead of the right side ....
For LHD vehicles, the beam scatter will be towards the right, not to the left ?
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 12:16   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly the reason why importing headlights officially from European countries (which have LHD cars) is not recommended, even though they share the same parts bin as their Indian counterparts. The light might look the same and fit flush, but it will be unsafe as beam scatter will be directed to the left, instead of the right side and hence will blind oncoming drivers, esp on Highways.
Well, I think the headlights are same, the left/right orientation is settable. At least that's what I get from the Laura manual. Skoda says if you need to drive in another country that uses different system than yours, make sure to get the headlight focus adjusted accordingly. Will go home and try to quote word to word from the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Yes, I think so.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 13:26   #185
Senior - BHPian

@frank: The RHS headlamp is probably a problem. Notice that the road illumination is much further ahead of the car.
You might want to try this exercise:
1. Place a thick towel on the one of the two headlamps and cover it completely. Then check the focus/ throw of the other headlamp.
There are screws/ gears for adjusting (Vertical & Horizontal). Use a socket wrench or something else more suitable for the same. Maybe the Civic thread can tell you where to locate these gears.
2. Repeat the step 1 for the other side.

This should improve the illumination for city use and buy you enough time to decide what to do next.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 13:45   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I think you are correct..

Quote:
Well, I think the headlights are same, the left/right orientation is settable. At least that's what I get from the Laura manual. Skoda says if you need to drive in another country that uses different system than yours, make sure to get the headlight focus adjusted accordingly. Will go home and try to quote word to word from the manual.
Yes, I think so.
I must check my manual for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@frank: The RHS headlamp is probably a problem. Notice that the road illumination is much further ahead of the car.
You might want to try this exercise:
1. Place a thick towel on the one of the two headlamps and cover it completely. Then check the focus/ throw of the other headlamp.
There are screws/ gears for adjusting (Vertical & Horizontal). Use a socket wrench or something else more suitable for the same. Maybe the Civic thread can tell you where to locate these gears.
2. Repeat the step 1 for the other side.
This should improve the illumination for city use and buy you enough time to decide what to do next.
I think my problem has been sorted fine. But superb advice. I had planned something on the lines you have suggested.

I might be wrong about the direction of the lights. Anand and Blue Thunder, I think you'll got it right.

OK guys, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!
Headlights issue sorted. Culprit: Poor fitting of bulbs on the head light housings from day one. The electrician who must have done it for the previous owner was clearly incompetent and made a mess out of the alignment of both bulbs. The headlight leveling motor itself was slipping due to poor fitting and everything was such a mess when we opened up the bumpers.
Went to Swadi automobiles who did a FABULOUS job. Thank you so much @tejas@perioimpl!
They have a Hella Leveling machine with a lux meter and a calibrated device that assists in alignment of the headlights. Apparently, the WHOLE time, the beam was facing skywards. It was pathetic, I tell you!!

Photos of the device followed by a few beauties I saw at Swadi. Have a look. I was charged Rs. 1266 as labour for opening up the bumpers and fixing the alignment. Worth it, since getting new headlights would have entailed 7000 rupees in parts and atleast Rs 1000 as labour. Money well spent!!

The beam issue is now fully sorted and when I flashed my headlights in my dimly lit parking lot, I was impressed. Will take photos of the beams at night..
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_104853.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_104900.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_104914.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_104925.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_103748.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_103812.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_104027.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_104109.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_104116.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_104835.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_104843.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_110000.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_110011.jpg  

frankmehta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 13:50   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, where is this workshop?
Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 14:16   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, where is this workshop?
Cheers!
From our directory: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...tomobiles.html

Tel: 022 - 23877916, 23870272, 23889352
Fax: 022 - 23872013
Email: swadiauto@vsnl.net
Address: Petit Compound, Nana Chowk, Near Bata Showroom, Grant Road, Mumbai - 400007
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 23:10   #189
Senior - BHPian

Pictures speak a thousand words. I am extremely happy with the results. Here's a few pictures taken in tube light and also a few in the dark, with low beam and a dipped beam. A few of a frontal vision to see the beam scatter on the ground.

And then a couple of videos..

Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_204257.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_204314.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_204321.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_204432.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_204441.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_204448.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_204501.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_204518.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_204546.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_204552.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_204611.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-img_20121031_204625.jpg  

Last edited by frankmehta : 31st October 2012 at 23:12.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2012, 03:01   #190
Senior - BHPian

Guys. I am in dire need of someone who can just sit in the car and sort out all my rattling issues. I have about a dozen different rattles emanating from the car and I am getting unnerved with every bump on the road.
Is there ANYONE in Mumbai who actually specializes in this kind of stuff??
Old 4th November 2012, 08:42   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Guys. I am in dire need of someone who can just sit in the car and sort out all my rattling issues. I have about a dozen different rattles emanating from the car and I am getting unnerved with every bump on the road.
Is there ANYONE in Mumbai who actually specializes in this kind of stuff??
You can check up Sunil Shanbag's garage "Select Auto" , they have kept my OHC Vtec rattle free till date.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 15:21   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
You can check up Sunil Shanbag's garage "Select Auto" , they have kept my OHC Vtec rattle free till date.
Thanks. Have called him and waiting for an appointment. Wanted to visit him since a long time. Now I have an excuse.

I just thought i'll make a mini update here.
Done 2500 with her already. A/C, Brakes, Engine ICE performing exceptionally well. Headlights now work fine. Rattles need to be addressed, though. Going to a petrol pump tomorrow for getting the engine bay and underbody washed.

As for mileage:
Did 156 km today and filled 277 rupees of CNG
Getting an average figure of Rs. 2.2-2.8 a km. As good as FREE!
Old 7th November 2012, 23:40   #193
Senior - BHPian

Hey people!!! Any idea which company makes the ORIGINAL HONDA replacement Air filter elements for the Civic?? I have a SAKURA one in my car and I want to replace it with something less generic.
Old 8th November 2012, 22:36   #194
BHPian

Sakura is the original Honda replacement.
other might be the Purolator but didn find it good.

In my car the Air filter paper element strarted braking up within 5k kms luckily spotted it in time and replaced it.
It would had created a HAVOC if it would had entered the engine.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 23:13   #195
Senior - BHPian

Frank, why not get a k&n stock replacement filter?
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks