Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 11:28   #421
BHPian

re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Just a couple of things I have noticed since I got my Lovato kit installed.

1. There is a slight hi pitched sound that keeps popping up when I accelerate. It's the sound of the injectors 'clicking' is what they told me at Suraj Auto. However - this sound does not come on my friends civic who has the same kit. I took it to Suraj Auto and they said it has 'reduced'. I don't find the difference. I'll admit it is very faint but for someone who travels 50km a day it gets annoying to keep hearing that sound from such a good car.

2. This morning I noticed a hissing sound whenever I accelerate on the passengers side of the car. It comes from where you fit the pipe in to fill CNG. Whenever I accelerate beyond 2000 rpm I can hear this 'sucktion' kind of sound like the gas is being pulled out. Is this normal?

None of these sounds occur when I shift to petrol.
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:37   #422
Senior - BHPian

65000 mark just passed today. The engine idles and revs like it's just from the showroom. Got the airconditioning serviced and had the car washed and leather seats valeted. The car looks beautiful with a new layer of wax.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131203_083450.png
Views: 3645
Size:  320.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131203_083459.png
Views: 3694
Size:  357.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131203_083515.png
Views: 3640
Size:  303.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131203_083525.png
Views: 3585
Size:  311.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131203_083546.png
Views: 3623
Size:  356.7 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131203_083606.png
Views: 3568
Size:  345.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131203_083622.png
Views: 3477
Size:  332.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131203_083643.png
Views: 3490
Size:  371.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131203_083653.png
Views: 3479
Size:  346.1 KB
frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 13:10   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaderBalooch View Post
Just a couple of things I have noticed since I got my Lovato kit installed.

1. There is a slight hi pitched sound that keeps popping up when I accelerate. It's the sound of the injectors 'clicking' is what they told me at Suraj Auto. However - this sound does not come on my friends civic who has the same kit. I took it to Suraj Auto and they said it has 'reduced'. I don't find the difference. I'll admit it is very faint but for someone who travels 50km a day it gets annoying to keep hearing that sound from such a good car.

2. This morning I noticed a hissing sound whenever I accelerate on the passengers side of the car. It comes from where you fit the pipe in to fill CNG. Whenever I accelerate beyond 2000 rpm I can hear this 'sucktion' kind of sound like the gas is being pulled out. Is this normal?

None of these sounds occur when I shift to petrol.
Did you got this checked?

Also an update regarding my Pune trip this weekend.
I started off on Saturday afternoon and that day there seemed to be some problem in the CNG supply in Mumbai. The pump at Deonar had low pressure. I took the palm beach road and the pump at Belapur was closed then went to Khargar only to find out that they also don't have any supply of CNG. Finally went to Kalamboli and the place just before the express way had the cng and got it filled there. Went to pune and after reaching Pune it was still showing 2 green lights. In pune also the shivaji nagar pump has stopped filling up for 4 wheelers . Then on my way back to Mumbai went to Hinjewadi and got the cng filled. This pump is opposite Marriot in Hinjewadi so you have to take a de-tour of around a km from the main road. The queue was not much so within 10 mins of waiting got the gas filled. The FE was approx 22 KM per KG. Considering the ghat traffic and pune traffic it was quite good. Came back to Mumbai and after bumper to bumper traffic from the exit of express way to belapur again got CNG filled at Belapur pump and got the FE of 24 KM per KG.

So the entire trip of Pune and back with roaming around in Pune ( total Kms approx 410 kms ) costed me 700 RS of CNG that too when CNG in Pune was filled at 47 Rs per KG. Couldn't expect anything better considering we were 3 adults and 3 kids with full luggage on both the trips and AC on all the times.
saurabhkum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 13:59   #424
BHPian

What is the top speed you maintain on the Expressway? For the Cedia, going from Mumbai to Pune, I got around 16 kmpkg of CNG.

Speeds of 120 to 140 throughout the flat stretches and 80 up the ghat section in 4th gear.

Next time need to check what mileage is possible driving at a sedate speed of 90, but then it feels like the car is not moving at all
Old 16th December 2013, 15:51   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
What is the top speed you maintain on the Expressway? For the Cedia, going from Mumbai to Pune, I got around 16 kmpkg of CNG.

Speeds of 120 to 140 throughout the flat stretches and 80 up the ghat section in 4th gear.

Next time need to check what mileage is possible driving at a sedate speed of 90, but then it feels like the car is not moving at all
Was mostly in the range of 90-112. I think once or twice only it went upto 125 that too for a very short time. I wonder if I would have been in the range of 90-100 what kind of mileage it would have given.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 12:33   #426
BHPian

@Saurabhkum - Got it checked and it seems to be some trouble from the AC. Will have to get that clarified. Sorry to ask again - but how many KM do you clock within the city? Off late I've been able to fill about 8-9 kilos of gas and just about touch 95-100 km's.
Old 17th December 2013, 12:58   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaderBalooch View Post
@Saurabhkum - Got it checked and it seems to be some trouble from the AC. Will have to get that clarified. Sorry to ask again - but how many KM do you clock within the city? Off late I've been able to fill about 8-9 kilos of gas and just about touch 95-100 km's.
My car is 90% driven in city, only once or twice in 3 months it goes to lonavala or to pune. When the tank is empty then almost 10.5 kgs of gas goes in. I get it filled every 130-140 kms and almost 8-9 kgs of gas goes in.
Old 18th December 2013, 01:00   #428
Senior - BHPian

I get 100-150 km on a tank. This depends on the running conditions of the car. Most of the times, she's running on a Highway. So mileage is Genuinely good. And when my wife drives, she manages even more km until she reaches reserve.
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:02   #429
BHPian

@Frankmehta, in the past posts, I read that you were interested in selling this car, so did you sell your workhorse or you don't have plans to sell it now?

Is there any specific reason because of which you wanted to sell the car? I am curious because I am myself planning to buy a used Civic auto and get CNG fitted. So I will be glad if you tell me about any problems that you have come across after conversion or anything as such.

Thanks.
Old 8th February 2014, 19:14   #430
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I wonder if I would have been in the range of 90-100 what kind of mileage it would have given.
I get 30km / kg while cruising at 90kmph @2700rpm on mumbai pune express way / nasik highway in my honda city idsi. A/c 80% ON. Have tested it 10+ times.
Old 25th February 2014, 11:40   #431
BHPian

I have a query regarding the spark plug to be used. Civic runs on Iridium Plugs, while fitting CNG I was advised to change it to normal plug which I did and the car is running fine. I wanted to know that if I can use the iridium spark plugs or it's better to use the normal plug.The iridium plugs have been used for around 26k only so I feel there is still lot of life left and they are just lying with me and it's time for me to change the normal plugs hence wanted to understand this.
Old 27th February 2014, 11:35   #432
Senior - BHPian

Spark plugs is something that makes a huge difference to the performance of the car when it is on a alternate fuel like cng. Don't bother about the iridium part. We used normal ngk spark plugs and she drove just fine. I changed them every 10000 km.

She's gone..... The car's sold. To a very happy owner. We miss her atleast once a day. Lion hearted, super fun and bulletproof she was. One of the best things to happen to us. Sadly, she's now settled with her new owner. Hope he takes as good care of her as we did.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 15:22   #433
Senior - BHPian

That's sad to hear, really. Why did you sell her though?
Old 25th May 2014, 19:46   #434
BHPian

Used Civic AT (2006) - My First Automatic

I finally join the elite club of pre-owned Civic owners on the forum (and needless to say that it was these threads that led me to buying one)

Background: It was in 2013 when I first felt the need of buying an automatic. It started as a small itch, and I started convincing myself that "I have to buy" a car for the wife and it has to be an auto-box. I was on my third car (swift -> spark -> ritz), and was quite happy with the turbo induced diesel mill on my Ritzy. However with changes in my work timings, for the first time in 7 years I started commuting in Mumbai peak hour traffic. The itch was now a full blown urge.

Shortlist: I started scanning forums and classifieds. Realized that it had to be a diesel AT as petrol might be too tight on the wallet. After going through the skoda threads, the only viable options were verna / scorpio / cruze. Test drove a few, verna was out being too boaty and scorpio was turned down by the wife. Got my eyes on a used Cruze AT 2010 for a meagre 8.25L. But somehow something was not right, 8+ for a car which is used and might have further expenses coming up. I started re looking my options and after reading all the threads on the civic - I shortlisted around 5.

Dealer Experience: Visited around 4 dealers to see the 5 civics. Surprisingly the best kept and least run was the oldest of the lot (2006 - 2nd owner - 48k kms). Test drove the car - it just felt right. The previous owner seemed to have taken really good care of the car. This had rear spoilers, after market alloys, side and front skirts, touch screen pioneer with a double woofer on the back and camera as well. The tag was 3.5 L, bargained a bit and got it down to 3.25. I did the math in my head -> 3.25 plus 1-1.5 lakhs of requirements (assumed brake pads and engine mounts must be worn out) would still make sense for a mileage of 6kmpl (thanks to my driving style) compared to the Cruze.

It was suddenly a no-brainer - I took the plunge !

Paid cash and got instant delivery. He charged me 5k for the insurance and 1300 for rto transfer - both of which I got received well within his prescribed time limit (3hrs for Insurance and 9 days for RC transfer).

Driving experience: Its been half a month and I have already clicked around 500kms, and the car is absolutely "makhan"
What I Like:
- The auto box takes about a couple of days to get used to, but once you do you it is easy to anticipate reactions.
- It is a "sedan" and drives like one, as long as you drive it like a chauffeur (more straight line and less lane cutting) !
- Tried the paddle shifts and they are the silver lining.
- The car downshifts faster than you can blink when you floor her.
- Love the electric mirror folding function
- Love the cockpit design and electric speedometer (Cant believe this existed 8 years back)
- The electric side mirrors go all the way back when hit from the front (and reopen when you restart the car)
- The interior quality and fit / finish is better then my dads Fluence (personal opinion)

What I don't like:
- Though I am still trying to get used to the size (its absolutely non chuckable compared to my Ritzy), it is fun in a straight line.
- It needs to be crawled into compared to my ritz where I could walk in
- The left side rear view mirror has an extremely small scope of vision (compared to all other cars I have driven). I have to constantly change the angle to look at different sides. Most of the times I have to take a sharp left blind sided, and I hate that !
- The central locking does not auto-lock after a certain speed
- Mileage I have got on two tankfulls is 5.8 to be precise (I maintain a log on spreadsheet)
- Somehow the car is not as confidence inspiring on high speeds or in close gaps with the next car (maybe it is due to the tyre grip compared to zlo's on my ritz)

Work Done so far:
- Though the insides were well maintained, I treated her with a 3M germiklean+ (surprisingly this only included seats and no shine given to dash) --> Rs.5200
- Finished the 60k major service today which costs 10+k and surprisingly the car did not have any major repair needed (pads / tyres / battery / mount / electricals / AC - everything is tip top). Some replacements suggested were inner door beadings and plastic frame above tyres (12k) - though they said this is not absolutely required to be done immediately.
- Windshield buffing / polishing done (2k)
- I brushed the car on the rear side while reversing, so tried the com-paint product mentioned on one of the threads. Somehow I messed it up even more by using this, neither did the color match not was the finish upto my liking. So gave it today to 3M for Repainting the entire bumper (damage of 4090)

Planned expenses:
- Left seat back cover has come off, Honda did not have it in stock
- Front right side fog light not working, Honda wouldn't touch it since it was after market fitment
- Speakers are crackling and at times one side turns off when I hit a pot hole or bump
- Rear suspension coil adjusters ( Darryl)
- New remote key (from keymaster as suggested by Frankmehta)
- Repainting alloys and replacing all the rusty nuts holding it (3M has quoted 2.2k per alloy, in a slight dilemma on whether I should repaint to Matt black or get new ones ?)

Overall I am loving the experience, but it isn't even slightly comparable to the wide grin I used to get when the turbo kicked in on the DDiS !

I am loving my first ever sedan & first ever automatic & first ever used car, plan to clock atleast a lakh more miles (hopefully if it does not break down mid way).

Last edited by salunkhe.vizz : 27th May 2014 at 08:54.
salunkhe.vizz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 01:58   #435
BHPian

Re: Used Civic AT (2006) - My First Automatic

Let me be the first one to congratulate you. Congratulations on your pre-worshiped civic. Glad to know that you got a spectacularly maintained car with no problems what so ever. I picked a pre worshiped civic recently with 46k on the odo. Well maintained, The only thing I had to work on was the brake rotors which I'm guessing are warped. Will get them fixed in a day or two.
kingofmyworld is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks