Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2012, 17:33   #61
BHPian

re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Frank..what about those cylinder in the spare wheel well? Is it really low capacity? My friend recently put that in his Civic and the spare tyre/tools were neatly packed in a bag or so and kept in the boot. Looks more neat. But I am sure the capacity would be less.
And there was no need to drill the body for the CNG intake nozzle (wrong name but I mean the nozzle where we put in the CNG fuel). He actually put that just near the boot entrance (so he got to pop open the boot when he wanted to fill in the CNG fuel). But it looks better than a hole/plastic covering on the body.
And as Hiren.mistry pointed out, the suspension should ideally been a problem with the large tank but my friend had no issue with this (smaller tank again).
Care to let me know your thoughts on this?

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 26th September 2012 at 17:34.
Old 26th September 2012, 17:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
So with this thread & your inspiration, i spoke to Mr. Arun Jain last night. Plan to get this installed in my i10 Automatic which can become my daily drive instead of the hard clutch-ed Logan Diesel. Since the Vento AT is not driven much, not considering it. Lets see how it goes. Super thread Frank!
Very good!! Make sure you give him my reference. And best of luck for the conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hey Frank,
Heartiest congratulations on the Civic and also for the CNG kit, of course. I'm late to the party, but hey better late than never.

As an ertswhile owner of the Civic I can relate to what you're experiencing. And I agree the interiors are the by far the best feature on the Civic.

I'm surprised you've (so far) haven't had any issues with the soft rear suspension moreso now that you've got this CNG kit installed.

Wish you have miles upon miles of thrills (cheap ) in your ride.

Cheers
Thanks mate. I haven't had any trouble with the soft suspension yet. I shall update it here if I do face any. We will find a solution to it if its a botheration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Frank..what about those cylinder in the spare wheel well? Is it really low capacity? My friend recently put that in his Civic and the spare tyre/tools were neatly packed in a bag or so and kept in the boot. Looks more neat. But I am sure the capacity would be less.
And there was no need to drill the body for the CNG intake nozzle (wrong name but I mean the nozzle where we put in the CNG fuel). He actually put that just near the boot entrance (so he got to pop open the boot when he wanted to fill in the CNG fuel). But it looks better than a hole/plastic covering on the body.
And as Hiren.mistry pointed out, the suspension should ideally been a problem with the large tank but my friend had no issue with this (smaller tank again).
Care to let me know your thoughts on this?
The cylinder in the spare wheel well are LPG cylinders. I saw those when I went for conversion. CNG needs a much larger volume, hence the larger cylinder.
The CNG nozzle could have been drilled at the edge but there's a reason for that. It's heavy and can bob around and rattle or make an irritating. The installer specifically explained the reason to me when he showed me the installation at first, even before I could ask him. That's the reason why it was bolted onto the body so it doesn't bend with weight while driving or when gas is being filled at high pressure.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 17:54   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Thanks mate. I haven't had any trouble with the soft suspension yet. I shall update it here if I do face any. We will find a solution to it if its a botheration!
If you do then there is a el cheapo mod for them. They're called Coil spring assistor or donuts. I had them installed on my car. There is a thread here on that.

But I hope you don't have to.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 26th September 2012 at 17:55.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 18:00   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
The cylinder in the spare wheel well are LPG cylinders. I saw those when I went for conversion. CNG needs a much larger volume, hence the larger cylinder.
Oh ok...I didn't know that. We kept referring it as gas cylinder! So I believe the CNG is better than LPG (tons of discussion on this I know)
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 21:57   #65
Senior - BHPian

Guys, ICE is being installed. Haven't touched the car in two days.
In the mean while, I also picked up AutoCop Park Pro parking sensors and they shall be installed tomorrow.

ICE thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...whos-back.html
Old 27th September 2012, 13:00   #66
Senior - BHPian

Hi frank,

Congratulations on the new ride, so you stcuk to a relatively safer colour. I hope the riding pleasures in the Civic erases the Fiesta memories slowly (I know this aint happening).

Do I see a dent on the bonnet or my eyes are playing tricks (5th pic in the first page)? Did you get the Insurance done on your own or the agent took care of it? Also was the ICE already included in the Insurance or you planning to add it?

Conversion to CNG in Fiesta absolutley does not make sense as you rightly said since there are some issue tint he conversion, I had got the same reply from Ford when I had written to them.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely.
Old 27th September 2012, 21:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hi frank,

Congratulations on the new ride, so you stcuk to a relatively safer colour. I hope the riding pleasures in the Civic erases the Fiesta memories slowly (I know this aint happening).
That ain't happening. Ever!

Quote:
Do I see a dent on the bonnet or my eyes are playing tricks (5th pic in the first page)?
Yes, it's a dent. My painter will be sorting it out. That's the last person she will be visiting.

Quote:
Did you get the Insurance done on your own or the agent took care of it?
Agent. He was there when I got the car and he gave me the cover note there itself.

Quote:
Also was the ICE already included in the Insurance or you planning to add it?
ICE and CNG will be included when the no claim bonus certificate is sent for reduction of premium.

Quote:
Conversion to CNG in Fiesta absolutley does not make sense as you rightly said since there are some issue tint he conversion, I had got the same reply from Ford when I had written to them.
Yes, I mulled doing it, but there was no reason for me to go for it and mess up an otherwise perfect car.

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 29th September 2012, 01:39   #68
Senior - BHPian

Some miscellaneous pictures and also, pics after ICE installation showing the boot space remaining after installation of ICE and CNG..
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0246-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0248-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0260-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0263-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0254-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0251-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0257-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0288-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0262-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0261-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0268-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Last edited by frankmehta : 29th September 2012 at 01:41.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 13:45   #69
BHPian

The ICE integration is fantastic!!!
Looks as if it has been factory fitted, in Japan.

Did you fit audio controls on the steering wheel also, as a part of the audio upgrade?

The boot space has gone down drastically. I dont think now it can accomodate a couple of airport luggage size suitcases.

This is mostly because of the CNG kit. So after this civic becomes a city runabout, not suitable for a long outstation family trip with luggage.

Would City be a better choice for CNGfying if luggage capacity is also a requirement? Because city has a deeper boot.

OT: Would love to have a look at your civic when I come to Mumbai in December, if it is possible for you.

Last edited by abeerbagul : 29th September 2012 at 13:47.
abeerbagul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 17:50   #70
BHPian

Hi frank - you have inspired me! I am thinking about lpg conversion. Brc sequent kit with 60 ltr tank costs 38k + 2.5k for rto endorcement in trivandrum.

I have a doubt : there seems to be some kind of lid inside the boot, which can be unswrewed, just below where the lpg tank would be. May be it is the access to the petrol fuel filter? What happens to that once the tank is fitted above that?
manoj_joseph78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 18:15   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj_joseph78
I have a doubt : there seems to be some kind of lid inside the boot, which can be unswrewed, just below where the lpg tank would be. May be it is the access to the petrol fuel filter? What happens to that once the tank is fitted above that?
Lid in the civic is for the petrol filter.

It is actually accessed by removing the rear seat.
hemen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 18:10   #72
BHPian

Hi frank, what is the black bar in front of the cylinder?

Is it OEM fitment(may be suspension component??)
or
did you get it installed to protect the tank from rolling towards front?
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-untitled.jpg  

Old 30th September 2012, 18:54   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj_joseph78 View Post
Hi frank - you have inspired me! I am thinking about lpg conversion. Brc sequent kit with 60 ltr tank costs 38k + 2.5k for rto endorcement in trivandrum.

I think Hemen has answered that. I am not very well versed with the position of the fuel filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemen View Post
Lid in the civic is for the petrol filter.

It is actually accessed by removing the rear seat.
Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640 View Post
Hi frank, what is the black bar in front of the cylinder?

Is it OEM fitment(may be suspension component??)
or
did you get it installed to protect the tank from rolling towards front?
It's OE fitment. I think it's a safety bar to disallow any luggage in the boot from coming into the cabin in case of a rear end accident.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 19:47   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Frank-an observation.The encircled pipe in the pic seems to be loosely connected and can come off any time.Please fasten it with some clip. I dunno if that pipe is for gas or is just a breather pipe.But still.....
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0191.jpg  

sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 21:04   #75
Senior - BHPian

I asked the installer to do the same thing. He said this is just the sleeve. The main pipe is very tightly fixed onto the nozzle so no sweat.
Good observation!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks