Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2012, 09:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!

It all began with a search for a "big sedan" to be replaced for the ageing Civic. The Civic has done not more than 36000kms and is running just fine, but I was persistent on having it replaced by something more expensive. The Civic, essentially is my father's daily ride and I hadn't driven it since quite a while now.

The discussion goes on like this:

Me : Dad, you need a big car.

Dad: Why? My car runs fine. I don't have any problems with it.

Me : But dad, it's old and you need something that would suit your status.

Dad : But the Civic is an expensive car and it suits my status just fine. I am pleased with it, and I don't intend on buying a new car at least for the next 2 years.

Me : C'mon dad, you always keep your cars for way too long. Please get an Audi or a BMW or something like that.

Dad: Why don't You get a car if Youreally want one?

Me: Umm, I can't afford a luxury sedan and you know it well.

Dad: Then get a small car.

Me: We already have 2 small cars. My Jazz and the ever-faithful Santro.

Dad: What about getting one for your wife - one that she can use daily for going to the market and even dropping/picking up your little one from playschool and the like, whenever that happens?

Me: But dad, she can use the Santro for that, no?

Dad: Yeah, but it's not a new car, and you want a new one, right?

Me: Okay. Let me look into my finances and see if I can afford one.

Dad: Okay good.

End of discussion.

_____

3 months pass and the "let's get a new car" topic hasn't really gone anywhere after the last discussion I had with my dad.

One fine day:

Dad : What happened about you getting a new car?

Me : Yeah, about that. I don't have enough money in my account.

Dad : Get a loan.

Me : I can always do that. But I don't know how that works.

Dad : That's even better. Figure out how it works, and then get one.

Me : But I don't know for how much, from where, how to go about it.

Dad: Don't crib. You know how to go online and type "Auto loans" on Google. Do that. Find out the rates that different banks have to offer.

Me : But I don't even know what car am I getting. How can I arrange for finances without knowing that?

Dad : It's up to you to decide what you want and how to get it. Don't worry, I'll help you out however you need me.

Me : Sounds good. How about Honda's new Brio? It's small and cute and the wifey will like it.

Dad : I don't know what Brio is. You guys decide what you want. Take test drives and see what you like.

Me : Okay. I'll get all the info and then we will talk.

Dad: Okay.

End of discussion.

_____

A couple of months later:

Me: Dad, come look here I'll show you the Brio brochure online. It's got the same engine as the Jazz.

Dad: Looks nice. I like the super silent smooth Jazz engine. We've got 3 Honda's so far. Honda's are reliable cars. How much is this for?

Me : Fully loaded is like 5.7L OTR. Wifey likes it too, because it's cute and all.

Dad: Did you take a Test drive? Go take one and then decide.

Me : Okay.

Wifey : I want the white color or the silver one. And please get a fully loaded car. I want the top-of-the-line model. We never get fully loaded cars.

Me : But the S(O) has all the options. Only the alloys and fogs are missing. And the silver color looks better on the Brio!

Wifey: Sure, okay I don't care about the alloys or the fogs. Whatever. Let's go test drive it this weekend.

Me : Okay.

End of discussion.

_____

The following weekend. Me and wifey and mom:

Me : Wifey, come checkout the facelift Hyundai i20. Remember the i20 that we didn't choose last time before we finalized the Jazz? They have a facelift now. It looks nice.

Wifey: Yeah, but I don't like Hyundai's.

Me: Hyundai is nice. 4th largest company in the world now. Overtaken Honda. They make good cars. You know how faithful our Santro is.

Wifey: Um, okay. If you say, we can Test drive that too. But let's try the Brio first.

Mom : Show me. Show me both the cars.

Me : Here's you guys read reviews of both these cars on Team-Bhp. Fantastic in-depth review of both the Brio and the new i20. With pictures. You will know all you need to. Pros and cons.

Wifey : Okay.

Mom : Okay, but I have seen the Brio on the road and I don't like that glass back. It's not Safe. What if there is an accident from the back and there are people sitting in the back. They would get hurt. I don't like the Brio.

Me : Okay, we will TD both the cars and figure out what's the best.

Mom : Okay.

End of discussion

_____

Next weekend. Me, wifey, dad.

Me : I have time today. Do you guys want to go for the test drives for the Brio and i20?

Wifey : Okay.

Dad : You guys go.

Me : You should come dad. It's my first car. Don't want to go wrong.

Dad : Okay I'll come.

End of discussion

_____

Post the i20 test drive. Me, wifey, dad.

Wifey : I like the i20.

Dad : Yes. I liked it too.

Me : Okay. What about the Brio then?

Wifey : No, I want the i20 now. Don't want to TD the Brio.

Me : But why? It's cheaper and it's a Honda.

Wifey : No, but the features on the i20 are too nice. And I want the fully loaded one. Not with the sunroof though. And I like the new design. The front eyes looks like Deepika (Padukone). It's classy.

Me : Fine. Let's buy this one then. What color?

Wifey: I only want White.

Me : I like the Silver and Grey too. They look nice.

Wifey : White.

Me : Okay. White. Final.

End of discussion

_____

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 24th September 2012 at 14:34.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 14:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!

So the discussions ended there and post all the paperwork involved, we ended up with an i20 Asta White petrol. Diesel wasn't even considered as the running would be a bare minimum.

_____

Cars not considered/ruled out :

Maruti Swift : Wifey never liked it. Her mom had one and she thought it had pathetic ride quality and terribly dark interiors. Also, it carries the Maruti tag which she wasn't a fan of.

VW Polo: We had test drove the Polo before we had finalized on the Jazz. Didn't like the long travel of the clutch, the diesel like sound of the 3-cylinder petrol engine, and the large floor hump on the back.

Honda Brio : The rear glass treatment - Not safe enough. Lacked goodies that the i20 offered.

Nissan Micra : Looked too puny and it also had a 3-cyl engine.

Toyota Liva : Read on the forum that the build quality was very inferior. Also the smiling chrome lavished front is not something that I really like.

_____

What we liked on the i20:

> Super light Steering - Very easy and fun to drive in the city.
> Nice and smooth transmission.
> Soft clutch - Boon during peak traffic hours.
> Five Star NCAP rating - Not built like a tank, but safety is assured by European standards - works for us.
> Seats were comfortable and height adjustable - Height adjust was a must since my wifey and mom both are short drivers.
> Start/Stop button - Coolness factor.
> Reverse Camera - Added safety feature
> Rearview mirror - Antiglare. Good for night driving. Works perfectly.
> Digital Speedometer - Coolness factor.
> Blue backlighting - Loved the blue. Hated the red/orange in the older model.
> Dual Airbags - Safety feature.
> Auto folding mirrors - Convenience during parking.
> Large glovebox - To hold all sorts of important and unimportant stuff.
> Steering mounted controls - Coolness factor.
> Nice interiors - Mixture of dark and light colors. Looked nice.
> Smart Key - Looks like a million rupee car key. Nice.
> AC - It was a chiller when put on Auto. The blower works as it should and the effectiveness was pretty obvious even in the sun.
> Silent and smooth engine - Excellent NVH.
> Interior space - Can easily accommodate 4 adults + 1 kid.
> Integrated spoiler - Coolness factor.
> Integrated Bluetooth - Allows songs from my iPhone to play seamlessly from the i20 speakers. The quality is much better than standard radio!
> Chrome door handles - Looks and feels classy.

What we didn't like :

> Hyundai brand image - Only if this car were a Honda.
> Power - The power delivery of the 1.2 engine is very linear. You sail in the car, never ride in it. It just takes it's own good time to speed up and glides. This car is strictly meant for city driving.
> Horn - Too meeky.
> Speakers - As mentioned in the official review, the rear speakers are dull and the sound output is pretty inferior compared to the Jazz.
> Bulging headlights and taillights - Prone to more damage from scratching.
> Alloys - We liked the earlier model design better.
> Boot space - The Jazz offers much more boot space. Atleast that's what it looks like.
> Brakes - We find them weak when compared to the Santro, which has immediate stopping power or even the Jazz which has faster stopping power.
> Fifth wheel is not an Alloy.

_____

The Bringing it home & Post Buying experience :

This is something that everyone looks forward to. However long the process of buying a car takes, it's usually all worthwhile in the end. We had the delivery scheduled at 9:30 am, but I got the keys only after 10:30. The paperwork, feedback forms, and Post Delivery inspection took that long. I had received a free 5 LTR petrol coupon for a nearby petrol pump as a gift with my purchase. One thing lingered in my mind. The run-in period. I read somewhere that the first 20odd kilometers are the most crucial. I decided to floor it. Pedal to the metal. But it didn't really feel like it. No fun. No excitement. The car just glided through all the gears and didn't show any haste to reach it's destination. On reaching the pump, I filled her to the brim and then decided to take another shot at it. This time around, I made it a point to stretch her legs even more. Since it was a Sunday morning, there was little traffic on the roads and I was able to pull her up to more speeds. I made it a point to upshift only at 3500-4000 RPM and only then I did feel the engine's true potential. It's still a fairly tame engine, no doubt about it, but if you drive it hard, you can have much fun with it too! Ripped her around on the main highway for a some 10-12 odd kms and then I took her home. Let her breathe and cool down. Customary pooja followed and then a visit to a temple, followed by a late night icecream parlor visit. It's been only 4 days since she's home and she hasn't been really driven or even moved for that matter from her new parking spot!

Driving Impressions :

I love these new generation of engines. They are so refined. You hardly hear them or feel them working while sitting in the car at idle. Ditto with the Jazz and the Civic. The VTVT technology or whatever they call it on the i20 sure has made the car silent and eco friendly but it has taken the joy out of driving. I loved my OHC Type 2 for that. The i20 however scores on gadgetry and the feel-good factor. You feel you're driving in a big sedan, with a nice engine, good comfort levels and something that will take you one place to another in style. The transmission and clutch on this Hyundai is definitely a few notches about the Hyundai Santro that we currently own. The super light steering is a boon to drive in the city. I personally feel it tightens up enough on higher speeds - nothing to complain about in that department. Handling is pretty superior compared to the Jazz specially at low speeds. The i20 absorbs bumps and potholes much like my Civic. The brakes need some getting used to on this Hyundai. Quite unlike the Santro which stops in a heartbeat. New drivers will feel that there is definitely something wrong with the brakes on the i20. Some minor stopping distance calculations need to be mentally done while driving this baby! I love the average and real-time fuel efficiency display on the Jazz and that is the only thing that makes me drive it sedately. This is sorely missed on the i20. Although, with the current traffic conditions, I don't feel the i20 will have a chance to be ripped through the streets. And then again, since it's the wifey's car, I know it'll be driven sedately anyhow.

The i20 has done some 60 odd kms till today. I doubt, I will have the 1000km update anytime soon. This car, as I mentioned somewhere, will be driven only in the city, by the ladies, and will not cover much ground over the next few years. I however will update this thread with detailed pictures and service updates as and when that happens.

To anyone looking for an upscale(but the badge), fully loaded and easy to drive hatchback for city use, I definitely recommend the i20 Asta Petrol.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 27th September 2012 at 11:13.
9thsphinx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 15:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Additional information:

Final deal for the i20 Asta Petrol : 6.68L OTR Ahmedabad (including all discounts available & 3rd yr extended warranty & preference number)

Insurance : ICICI Lombard

Loan : 3L from Bank of Baroda @ 11% fixed interest. No processing charges. No pre-payment charges.

Dealer : Concept Hyundai

Freebies : Mudflap, Matting, Teflon polish, Car cover, Car perfume, Mobile charger.

_____

My Reasons for the title of the thread :

The 1.2L i20 Petrol is a perfect commuter car. The engine has enough juice for daily runs to the market and back, mall visits, dropping and picking children up from school and the frequent visits to the friends and relatives living in the same town. Ladies, in general are sedate drivers. The super light steering is a boon, and no feedback from the steering really doesn't matter. The 14 inch alloys and the 185 profile tyres doesn't matter either. The i20 scores here! The Asta version has enough bells and whistles that would surprise and pamper them for however long they're in the car. Brownie points for the i20 Asta. The facelift i20 with it's European styling attracts the right kind of attention from the younger crowd. Another score for the i20. For someone like me, who already owns a Jazz and a Santro, the only logical choice of a small hatchback/commuter car with enough gadgetry, appeal and reason for the ladies in the house is the i20!

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 26th September 2012 at 10:42.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 15:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Posting up a few PDI pics of the i20.

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-photo-2.jpg

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-photo-3.jpg

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-photo-4.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-photo-1.jpg  

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 24th September 2012 at 16:07.
Old 27th September 2012, 14:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 27th September 2012, 17:02   #6
BHPian

Congrats to you and the wifey on her new ride bro! Like you mentioned, the fully loaded nature of i20 is unbeatable in the Hatchback category at the moment. I cant really think of another maker who has loaded the vehicle to the brim like Hyundai has in this case

Petrol 1.2 is defenitely underpowered - the official review from GTO highlighted this too.

BTW - Though I understand that coming from Honda dominated family, Hyundai sounds week, but I think the situation has changed a lot now, they are one of the major forces in the market - they have built up solid reputation through good cars, excellent *** etc. I hope you & the family will have enough experience of this and eventually that point would move out of the 'didn't like' section
Jeash.vk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 17:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car. But are you sure about what you did after delivery? You ripped it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
One thing lingered in my mind. The run-in period. I read somewhere that the first 20odd kilometers are the most crucial. I decided to floor it. Pedal to the metal. But it didn't really feel like it. No fun. No excitement. The car just glided through all the gears and didn't show any haste to reach it's destination. On reaching the pump, I filled her to the brim and then decided to take another shot at it. This time around, I made it a point to stretch her legs even more. Since it was a Sunday morning, there was little traffic on the roads and I was able to pull her up to more speeds. I made it a point to upshift only at 3500-4000 RPM and only then I did feel the engine's true potential. It's still a fairly tame engine, no doubt about it, but if you drive it hard, you can have much fun with it too! Ripped her around on the main highway for a some 10-12 odd kms and then I took her home. Let her breathe and cool down.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 20:03   #8
BHPian

Congrats 9thsphinx. I20 is the feature rich car among all hatch backs.
I would suggest to remove those concept sticker from the back side.
Drive safe and happy motoring.
devil_klm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 21:51   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations! i20 can never be beaten in a feature battle :-)
Have a happy ownership and do keep the thread updated.

By the way, what's with the dealership? I can see 3 stickers at the back shouting 'Concept'! The other 2 are pretty common with almost all dealers. But, the huge one on the rear windscreen is the first of it's kind!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 09:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeash.vk View Post
Congrats to you and the wifey on her new ride bro...BTW - Though I understand that coming from Honda dominated family, Hyundai sounds week, but I think the situation has changed a lot now, they are one of the major forces in the market - they have built up solid reputation through good cars, excellent *** etc. I hope you & the family will have enough experience of this and eventually that point would move out of the 'didn't like' section
We already own the Santro and it's our daily workhorse. No issues with Hyundai as a brand. It's the market value it has carried over these years. However, as you say it is now changing. The technology that goes behind making Japanese cars and Korean cars are different. Since we own the Jazz and the i20, I can see the level of refinement of the engine of both these cars have. You crank up the engine of the Jazz (a 2 year old car by now) and the i20 (still 5 days young) and you would feel the Jazz is much much more refined and silent than the i20. That's Japanese tech for you. We've been Honda fans only for it's engines since the past decade and it'll take a couple more Hyundai's in the family before that image changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Congrats on the car. But are you sure about what you did after delivery? You ripped it ?
There are 2 ways of going about this. The run-in period of a new car and how it has to be driven has been a big debate. I chose the "drive it hard" method over the keep it only under 3000 RPM for the first few thousand kms method. This also came from experience. When we bought the Jazz, I was extra careful not to push it too hard and fast. The result? It just got used to this method of sedate driving and it just drove much like it. Until I installed a CAI, started flooring it whenever I got a chance and only then it started to fly.

I didn't want the already perceived slow i20 to be lazy like the Jazz. Which is why I decided to take the alternate route for how to run-in your car. No harm done. Atleast, that's what I believe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Congrats 9thsphinx..
I would suggest to remove those concept sticker from the back side.
Drive safe and happy motoring.
Done. I politely asked the sales guy to remove that massive Concept sticker from the back, not only because it was too much advertising, but also because it blocked the rear view. Request accepted. Huge sticker removed during delivery. Also, just yesterday figured the other one below the rear wiper was washed out somehow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Congratulations! i20 can never be beaten in a feature battle :-)
Have a happy ownership and do keep the thread updated.

By the way, what's with the dealership? I can see 3 stickers at the back shouting 'Concept'! The other 2 are pretty common with almost all dealers. But, the huge one on the rear windscreen is the first of it's kind!
Thanks!

I agree with the features part and the stickers part. Absolutely love the features on this little hatchback.

The massive Concept sticker and the one below the rear wiper are already gone. I have a few Team-Bhp stickers that are lying around. Will put one of those up later.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 28th September 2012 at 09:51.
Old 28th September 2012, 11:37   #11
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!

Congrats 9thSphinx

My VIN has just arrived today and a just a few hundred ahead of yours. Expecting delivery next week
Old 28th September 2012, 20:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations and wish you many happy miles with the car. Get rid of the ugly "Concept" stickers.

I always made it a point to tell the workshop "No dealer stickers to be pasted on the car". Once I forgot to tell them, and they pasted ugly Red 'Om Hyundai' stickers on the hatch door. Here's how that ugly "Om Hyundai" Hyundai looked:

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-dscn0421.jpg

These workshops have a dirty habit of pasting dealership stickers if the car does not have one, so advice you to make it a point to tell the Concept fellows not to paste stickers on the car ,when you take it for servicing.
Old 29th September 2012, 11:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95
Congratulations and wish you many happy miles with the car. Get rid of the ugly "Concept" stickers.

I always made it a point to tell the workshop "No dealer stickers to be pasted on the car". Once I forgot to tell them, and they pasted ugly Red 'Om Hyundai' stickers on the hatch door. Here's how that ugly "Om Hyundai" Hyundai looked:

These workshops have a dirty habit of pasting dealership stickers if the car does not have one, so advice you to make it a point to tell the Concept fellows not to paste stickers on the car ,when you take it for servicing.
Thanks. The stickers have already been removed.

I had a good read of your i20 threads before I crossed my fingers and went ahead to book my car. However, I am glad that your steering noise issue seems to be sorted out for now!
Old 29th September 2012, 14:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

A few High res shots!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4292.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4293.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4294.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4295.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4296.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4297.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4298.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4299.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4300.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4302.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4303.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4304.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4305.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4307.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4308.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Asta - A commuter hatchback for the ladies!-img_4309.jpg  

Old 4th October 2012, 10:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Just found out something very cool. If you try to pair your phone with the i20's Bluetooth system while you're driving, it won't allow you to! The message displayed is something along the lines of "The car is in motion. Please stop the car and then try pairing". Great safety feature - Hyundai doesn't want you distracted while driving

Most Viewed