Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2006, 22:52   #1
BHPian

kinetic's new blaze test-ridden

Well this section says new car test-drives so i dont know if this should be posted here or the motorcycle section so mods please do the appropriate if needed.

I was getting tired of my current scooter, a kinetic nova 135. The performance of the machine is just not worth all the trouble it gives. i even thought of exchanging this for a plain jane honda activa and have peace of mind. but where is the fun in that? being the performance junkie that i am i decided to go pay my local kinetic dealer a visit to see if he has any blazes(blazi?) available for test ride. and to my dissapointment there werent any. Just as i was about to leave, a truck carrying new restickered nova 135's and blazes arrived and i decided to linger around till they unload them to go for a ride.
Half-hour later i was on a black brand spanking new kinetic blaze. I thumb the starter and the engine starts up very quietely (even the nova 135 was quiet on the test ride but once home it transformed into a completely different beast, one which can give jack hammers a run for their money in terms of making noise.) and in low revs the sound is quiet subdued but when you twist the throttle the noise becomes louder but it actually sounds good, good enough for what it is, but not really harsh
Comming to the looks of the blaze the first thing that grabs your attention is the step seat that offers the driver decent lumbar support. in the looks department, the blaze definately scores over all other gearless scooters in the market, from the twin lamp headlights mounted above the front mud guard, to the wind deflector on the handle bars. it looks like a true scooter like those found in europe (really?). The console was also well designed with all the usual speedo, fuel level indicator, and tell tale lights. There is also a digital clock and a tacho which i found quite surprising because it was a gearless scooter (hey but automatic transmission cars have tachos aswell right?) i can see how you can try to keep the revs low for a better FE but sadly the one on the test scooter wasnt working.
The actual drive left me craving for more as i have never driven any two wheeler with over 135cc. so naturally i found the acceleration intoxicating but when it comes to the braking it is a completely different story, i found the brakes to be a little unresponsive and lacking in sheer stopping power which can be dangerous in a powerful (relatively) scooter like this. it is nice to know that there will be a version with a front disc brake on offer, but the salesman said that they will take a while to hit the market. the roads i have riden on were far from perfect and where my novas suspension would be rumbling and tubbline and sending all the jolts the the riders, the blaze really excels, thanks to telescopic forks up front and dual spring set-up at the rear. the suspension is not quiet by any standards but it is eons ahead of the nova 135. the 13" tyres were a welcome change from the 10 inchers found on most scooters these days. i really did not get to test the handling of it so i really cannot comment.
At the end of the test ride i got of the bike and before i could put the side stand the bike started leaning onto me and boy was it heavy, with the help of the mechs still unloading the scooters i got it back on the main stand. Overall i came away very impressed by the scooter and kinetic for launching them but i dont think i will be trading my nova any time soon.
I asked for a brochure and what i got was a piece of paper with a picture of the blaze and the name of the dealership on one side and a stupid comparison of the blaze against a bajaj pulsar 150 and a honda activa on the other side, so i dont have any tech specs of the scooter.
When i got onto the big seat with my helmet in my hand i thought this the underseat storage can swallow atleast two half face helmets so at the end of the ride
i asked to see the compartment. what resulted was a very cool mechanism to open the underseat storage area. what you do i put the key in the normal key hole in the front which you use to lock the bike and unlock it, then turn the key counter-clockwise without pushing the key in and the front part of the seat pops up. at first it looked really big but when i put my helmet, a studds bravo, in it the seat would not close, the salesman seemed a bit embarrassed and assured me that it will fit, he tried it for about ten minutes to no avail and he finally gave-up saying my helmet is too big and that the helmet they will provide will definately fit. thing is though the helmet they provide is not even isi certified and the one i got with my nova split into two pieces when i threw it in the garbage!
comming back to my helmet i was actually planning on upgrading to an agv pacifica or something like that which i believe are actually larger than my current helmet so though luck i guess.
Another interesting thing to note is that the front part of the seat swings forward to reveal the storage and after that to get to the fual tank you have to swing the rear passenger portion of the seat backward. seems nice at first but all this swinging might get a bit annoying after the repeated visits to the petrol pumps.
Speaking of petrol pumps the salesman said the company claims a 45kmpl figure and the in the real world i can expect 35kmpl. when i bought my nova 135 he said the company claims 60kmpl and i can get a real world figure of 55kmpl which is far from the 30~35kmpl figure i am currently getting, so i am expecting that hard riding will result in karizma and comet beating fuel consumption figures for this one.

for those of you that have actually read up to here, this is my first review so it is definately not very organised and my thoughts are running all over the place on this review so any tips and pointers will be appreciated.

Last edited by heelntoe : 26th April 2006 at 22:54.
Old 26th April 2006, 23:16   #2
BHPian

very good write up heelntoe & thanks for mentioning the wheel size.BTW did the dealers give any hint about the pricing??
Old 26th April 2006, 23:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice one. But do split things next time.

And, I heard taht its got the GF170's detuned engine. Can you confirm?
Old 26th April 2006, 23:45   #4
BHPian

price is Rs.55,197 ex-thane

and yes the engine is 165cc so it may well be a detuned version of the engine found on the gf170/laser

Last edited by heelntoe : 26th April 2006 at 23:47.
Old 27th April 2006, 00:30   #5
BHPian

That's a good review about Blaze...
In Blore the On-road price is 56,700 Rs. Immediate Delivey.
165 CC, 12 Bhp, not a Bad deal i guess....

Yeah, even in over driver, dere was a report about Braking !
Cheers,
Jai

Last edited by nevertouchme : 27th April 2006 at 00:32.
Old 27th April 2006, 00:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Nice one. But do split things next time.

And, I heard taht its got the GF170's detuned engine. Can you confirm?
yes, its a de-tuned GF170 engine with a vario drive....the auto gearing is like on the nova and the bore, head etc is still the GF170's.....
with a good port job and a cv29 carb u can easily bump the power on this scoot.
Old 27th April 2006, 16:17   #7
BHPian

the Blaze sounds delicious ..
overdrive gives a tested mileage figure of about 40 so thats decent, confirmed.
price is great too.

i like the split seat opening, when you want to fill gas, you may not want to show all your stored stuff to the whole world at the gas station, so thats good for privacy; plus no chance of petrol spilling on your stuff is good too.

i am getting more n more convinced to pick one up. Its a real pain to take out the car to go to the gym/cigaretteshop (the parking hassles!) so this would do just great.

Thanks for the ride. I will go and get a test ride too..
Old 27th April 2006, 17:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice review.Thanks.

Guess its not quite as brilliant as we thought, is it?

I gues it might turn out to be a heavy handful in the corners too.
Old 27th April 2006, 18:51   #9
BHPian

great work dude..

nice review...

thinkin of buying a bike like that for my mum in mumbai...

whats the delivery time expected for it in mumbai??

anyways thanx.....

cheers psycholyn...
Old 27th April 2006, 19:08   #10
BHPian

hey dude

hey heelntoe...
any idea abt the jupiter...
can some one gimme some more info on that particular vehicle..
because i was thinking of bringing....
a yamaha or honda down to india..
which looks some what similar too the jupiter...
can any1 give me specs on the jupiter???

thanx

cheers...

psycholyn....
Old 27th April 2006, 19:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilbakshi
i like the split seat opening, when you want to fill gas, you may not want to show all your stored stuff to the whole world at the gas station, so thats good for privacy; plus no chance of petrol spilling on your stuff is good too.
actually you have to open the front part of the seat to open the rear part.
and @psycholyn at the dealership i tested it at they said it was available for ready delivery.
Old 29th April 2006, 12:45   #12
BHPian

the seats are really plush
Old 29th April 2006, 12:46   #13
BHPian

looks fabulous

I think it looks fabulous, no doubt on that
otherwise, for 50k its a steal

am sure that all specs can be improved, but then cost would get bumped up too.. this is a very good deal.

here's some interesting stuff on the designer of the blaze (from kineticblaze.com)

Incredible design legacy
Kinetic Blaze is a true-bule Italian designed vehicle designed by Italian entrepreneur and motorcycle enthusiast Leopoldo Tartarini himself. Learn more about the famed Mr. Tartarini -
Few have led as full a life as the Italian entrepreneur Tartarini. His is the story of a flourishing career as a motorcycle racer cut short by an injury which led to the founding of on of Italy’s most prestigious names – Italjet. Mr. Tartarini is the founder and head of Italjet.

Mr. Tartarini started out as a passionate riding enthusiast who participated in and won several motorcycling races and been acknowledged as one of Ducati’s leading racers of all time. Tartarini's passion for riding was not limited to the races. His most remarkable motorcycling achievement was when he decided to drive his Ducati 175 around the world. Accompanied by his friend Giorgio Monetti, the duo travelled around the world, sixty thousand kms in all, in one year. They travelled through 42 countries including India, Australia, New Zealand, South America, North Africa and through Europe; encountering numerous adventures along the way: a fight over women in a bar in Singapore, being mugged in the desert on the way from Iran to Iraq, and so on. As a reminder of his long distance feat, Tartarini today smokes the same brand of tobacco he first enjoyed in Chile during that very trip, and still owns the bike he did it on.

Mr. Tartarini is a highly acclaimed automobile designer who has received important global recognition and designed for world’s most prestigious brands including Ducati, Gilera, Piaggio, Yamaha and others. ‘Ducati in those days was mainly an engine manufacturer,’ he explains, ‘so it had no design studio and limited production-line capacity for complete motorcycles, because it was busy building diesels and suchlike for automotive and industrial use. Italjet was called upon to design almost all the early Ducati V-twin bikes, and chassis layout. Later, we not only designed the frame as well as the styling for the range of Ducati parallel twins, but actually manufactured the bikes ourselves here in the Italjet factory. But then I was fortunate to foresee the impact of the scooter boom in Italy, which is why we withdrew from our collaboration with Ducati even before the Cagiva take-over and concentrated on the activity for which we are best known today. “

Mr. Tartarini’s creations form part of the permanent exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, and also have been included and awarded at the Guggenheim Museum, New York. He is the founder of one of Italy’s most prestigious names Italjet and has designed Kinetic’s Italiano range of scooters of which Blaze forms a part.

Last edited by sunilbakshi : 29th April 2006 at 12:51.
Old 7th April 2015, 13:18   #14

Re: kinetic's new blaze test-ridden

hello fellow bhpians,
the caliper piston of my Blaze's front disc is gone kaput.
Can anyone tell what replacement part can be installed on the vehicle, as the stock piston/ caliper isn't available anymore.

i am hopeful about the interchangeability with the Vespa 'S'; as having Italian genes would mean some commonality of parts.

please help if you know what part can fit or else, where can i get the Blaze's caliper.

Thanks & best,
arshjeet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks