Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2012, 17:25   #61
BHPian

Re: Yet another Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
It is amazing. Those figures seems to be from a consistent drive at 80kmph in top gear. My best was while doing 100-110 in top gear on the expressway, including a few bursts in between. It is hard to tie yourself down on expressway on a long journey. Some day I will try consistent 80kmph.
It is amazing indeed. I had not ever imagined that a vehicle the Yeti's size can deliver such economy! Yes, I usually drive at speeds between 60-80 with minimal gear changes. If I had to give a suggestion then it would be to follow the MID gear change indicator closely and change gears around the time when the arrow comes on.

Quote:
How do you know this, from the memory 2? I never got the hang of this memory 2 but I think it resets after 20hrs of driving in the Ambition trim and longer in the Elegance trim (2000hrs I guess).
Yes from memory 2. I was not aware that it resets once in a while - maybe I will take a look at the manual to see if something about this is mentioned.
Old 1st February 2013, 10:44   #62
BHPian

Took the car to Chennai this week and topped up today. 41.7 liters of diesel consumed for 746kms ~ 17.9 kpl.

The MID showed 4.8l/100km for Bangalore to Chennai and 5.2l/100km on the way back. It seems to be pretty accurate as I topped up after driving for two days in the city since the return from the trip.

The Yeti is nearing 10k mark.
Old 1st February 2013, 12:49   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Took the car to Chennai this week and topped up today. 41.7 liters of diesel consumed for 746kms ~ 17.9 kpl.

The MID showed 4.8l/100km for Bangalore to Chennai and 5.2l/100km on the way back. It seems to be pretty accurate as I topped up after driving for two days in the city since the return from the trip.

The Yeti is nearing 10k mark.
What was the average speed you maintained? I have got 17.5k/l while driving between 95 to 100 km/hr.
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:57   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
What was the average speed you maintained? I have got 17.5k/l while driving between 95 to 100 km/hr.
I mostly maintained 80-100 kmph.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:38   #65
Senior - BHPian

It is not surprising that the Yeti is so fuel-efficient, it is infact a very small car with a largish engine. Sometimes it seems smaller than a Versa that I occasionally drive, when I cross a Yeti on a highway. Just doesn't seem to have any road presence though, it's totally inoffensive and non-intimidating which may not be such a good thing on our highways. Also I do suspect that the Yeti shares some panels with the Fabia because the dimensions are almost the same.
Old 3rd February 2013, 16:38   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
It is not surprising that the Yeti is so fuel-efficient, it is infact a very small car with a largish engine. Sometimes it seems smaller than a Versa that I occasionally drive, when I cross a Yeti on a highway. Just doesn't seem to have any road presence though, it's totally inoffensive and non-intimidating which may not be such a good thing on our highways. Also I do suspect that the Yeti shares some panels with the Fabia because the dimensions are almost the same.
I see this as the typical perception of an Indian consumer who will want butch and brute and kind of.. for an SUV especially when you are paying close to 20 lakhs..The only reason I think why the car is a failure in India ...Not looking at the practicality the car is offering for an urban user, together with high seating, ground clearance, and the immense driving pleasure I have bought my yeti purely due the fact that it is small for the city use and large enough for the occasional highway drives.
Old 3rd February 2013, 18:01   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaran View Post
Not looking at the practicality the car is offering for an urban user, together with high seating, ground clearance, and the immense driving pleasure I have bought my yeti purely due the fact that it is small for the city use and large enough for the occasional highway drives.
Very well said. Those were my thoughts too. I am 95% in the city and 5% outside. I specifically purchased it as it's small. In addition I also love the fact that it has a gentle looks and but still capable to turn heads. I see folks looking at the car as it passed them from my rear mirror all the time.
Old 3rd February 2013, 18:23   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Also I do suspect that the Yeti shares some panels with the Fabia because the dimensions are almost the same.
I doubt if that is the case. By dimensions, it’s closer to the Laura, than the Fabia. The Yeti infact have similar wheelbase as the Laura.

Quote:
I see this as the typical perception of an Indian consumer who will want butch and brute and kind of.. for an SUV especially when you are paying close to 20 lakhs..The only reason I think why the car is a failure in India ...Not looking at the practicality the car is offering for an urban user, together with high seating, ground clearance, and the immense driving pleasure I have bought my yeti purely due the fact that it is small for the city use and large enough for the occasional highway drives.
I agree. Very often, the unmatched practicality and quality of the Yeti is overlooked due to the so called compact dimensions.
Old 3rd February 2013, 20:48   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I doubt if that is the case. By dimensions, it’s closer to the Laura, than the Fabia. The Yeti infact have similar wheelbase as the Laura.

I agree. Very often, the unmatched practicality and quality of the Yeti is overlooked due to the so called compact dimensions.
I bought it for the size and the safety features it offers. On a recent long run I chanced upon a huge speed breaker on a section of the road where it meanders through some villages. I was hardly doing 80km/hr and had just about 70ft to stop. I hit the speed breaker at about 10km/hr and the Yeti handled it beautifully. Tcs ,ABS worked perfectly. No injuries to anyone. I think a vehicle without disc brakes on all wheels would have suffered some serious damage. The rest of the trip was a delight as usual.
Carcrazy60 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 08:15   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whoa ! hold on to your guns there mate, go easy on your stereotypes will ya. As a highway user I look at a car from a highway perspective, and I am sure so do others who use the highways who may have the 'typical perceptions' of 'typical Indian consumer' that you look down upon. But they matter because they are the majority and they are the people whom you drive your European cutie around and when the majority thinks in such a way, perception becomes reality and the car loses out in street cred, and is bullied by rickshaws, slower jeeps, vanilla taxis, Xylos & what not when they get close to you, and trust me they do because of dysfunctional traffic where you may have to slow down. And you wouldn't want to lose out on street cred but that's exactly where the Yeti loses out even before it begins. Externally on the highways, it is extremely difficult to make out the Yeti from a Fabia unless one looks really hard at the rear 3/4th which doesn't hang around for too long either due to the SWB. Or one realises the positioning of the fog lamps from memory and makes note of it to differentiate the Yeti from the Fabia. Yes, the discerning automobile enthusiast might try that, but not the hoi polloi.

I am aware of the positioning of the nimble Euro pocket SUV, and the spacious cabin inside despite the small proportions externally. I have known folks who have worked for and been incharge of Skoda India before they started manufacturing automobiles in India, and when Skoda India didn't venture into automobiles and was marketing Wartsila diesel engines for marine and genset applications in the 70s and 80s. I have met Imran Hassen, the first CEO of Skoda Auto in India and he gave me a thorough intro into the then newly launched Octavia TDI. So there ya go, I am a typical Indian consumer who has been keeping a close look at the activities of the company and checking out their products with keen interest. And I decided to make a note of the road presence of a niche vehicle and was disappointed with what I came across. So made a note of it here.
Old 4th February 2013, 09:02   #71
Senior - BHPian

A common man would always want an all purpose vehicle that servers 60% city, 20% highway and 20% off-road. He would want all the comforts with the sturdiness. This is where the Yeti perfectly fits in. Its completely worth every penny!

While many still prefer an SUV to be with a huge presence, they are many a times difficult to drive around, especially in the cities. Moreover, they lack quite some comforts as they're designed for 80% offroading; making it suitable to just a few or those who really buy cars for the sake of presence.
Old 4th February 2013, 14:08   #72
BHPian

[quote="lurker"

I am aware of the positioning of the nimble Euro pocket SUV, and the spacious cabin inside despite the small proportions externally. I have known folks who have worked for and been incharge of Skoda India before they started manufacturing automobiles in India, and when Skoda India didn't venture into automobiles and was marketing Wartsila diesel engines for marine and genset applications in the 70s and 80s. I have met Imran Hassen, the first CEO of Skoda Auto in India and he gave me a thorough intro into the then newly launched Octavia TDI. So there ya go, I am a typical Indian consumer who has been keeping a close look at the activities of the company and checking out their products with keen interest. And I decided to make a note of the road presence of a niche vehicle and was disappointed with what I came across. So made a note of it here.[/QUOTE]

Hi ...I was neither pointing at you nor your knowledge about cars...When I wrote "i see this as a typical.." I mean the perception of general public and I still believe it so.. My intention was to explain what i think is the failure of yeti in india. No offense meant to you..When i buy a car i have my priorities and i go with it. It may not be the same for others ..what others think of my car is my least priority ...
Old 4th February 2013, 14:55   #73
Senior - BHPian

the perception of the general public is also reality .. compared to other cars never mind SUV's the Yeti has a very small footprint. You used to have cars like the cadillac escalade and the Lincoln continental that used to straddle the American highways that nothing else could. You munch miles in supreme comfort. Yeti on the other hand is a clever piece of work by the Europeans but it lacks street presence, however which way I looked at it. I have never said that my opinion should matter to a prospective Skoda buyer or owner.

Each time I pass by the Skoda Yeti on the highway, I expected that it would suddenly reveal it's proportions from a certain angle or come big when it got nearer. Maybe I was expecting the Yeti to snarl, bite like it's himalayan namesake .. so each time I passed by I looked at it from various angle. But each time I was left underwhelmed.
Old 4th February 2013, 15:10   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I was feeling sleepy before I read this .
Why would I want to intimidate anyone or would get intimidated by anyone, unless there is a dacoit? Taxis and autos are driven as if they own the road, why even bother to struggle with them. Put on the music and listen the the nice tones emitted by the 8 speakers. I have driven across the country in many cars and the real 'kings' are those trucks and buses. Can you intimidate a truck by a Fortuner (the most popular butch SUV)? For them Yeti, Verna or T-fort are all the same. By your logic I should buy a truck. I have cherished all my long drives. I would rather hit the road with 'tranquility' on my mind than 'create fear'. I would worry more about my safety rather than creating fear in others. Yeti is pretty high up in the list of safe cars.

Yeti is based on the Golf platform, just like the Laura and the Jetta. I won't be surprised if later two comes home with better FE. Yeti is heavier.

Those who like to drive will appreciate the Yeti. There are better driver's cars around but it is hard for me to ignore the Yeti's practicality combined. I have driven the new Sonata extensively in the US. I'll pick the Yeti.

Last edited by fi.robin : 4th February 2013 at 15:23.
fi.robin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 20:32   #75
BHPian

A fine gent from Uadaipur has recently purchased a Yeti. He has shared the price list of some spare parts for the Yeti. But before that he would like to thank the T-bhp members.

"Dear robin go ahead and post the rate of the yeti parts. But there is a request, kindly thank all bhpians especially you, Pramod, samboy, sushil and others for their reviews, and if you could mention my case it will be grateful on your part because everybody whom I meet suggested me not to buy skoda yeti. It were you people, especially you who tempted me and helped me to buy such a great vehicle. If u want to know any thing more about any parts do write to me. Our dealer Jai car are really good people. They gave me all the cooperation and answered all my question which I asked. They even fixed my meeting with the head mechanic. Thank you again and do write to me for any useful tips. It will be grateful on your part"

1. Front bumber /rear; 11276/- rs
2. Fog lamps/ rear. : 3100/- each
3. Radiator. : 7601/- rs
4. Condenser. : 12355/- rs
5. Fan motor. : 10000/- rs
6. Shocker. : 20000/- complete set
7. Chamber. : 10000/-
8. Wind shield front. : 15000/-
With feeting
9. Bulbs of head lamp : 250/-
10. Disel filter. : 1287/-
11. Pump engine. : 13000-14000/-
Fuel tank
12. Whiper blade. : 700/-
13. Brake pad front. : 4250/-
14. Brake pad rear. : 2900/-
15. Clutch plates. : 30000/-
16. Trimming belt. : 10000/-
17. Inter cooler. : 9926/-
18. Head lamp lh. : 10547/-
19. Air house pipe : 8885
20. Bulb. : 472/-
21 electric fan : 12070/-
22. Tail light : 3000/-
23. Spoiler front : 2983/-

Hope this will be helpful.

Last edited by fi.robin : 17th February 2013 at 20:40.
fi.robin is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks