Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2013, 16:33   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms

Allen,

Shut all the other AC Vents and keep only the driver side 2 vents open when driving alone. I read somewhere on TBHP that it helps reduce the 'wastage' of air going towards the rear.
Old 20th May 2013, 23:22   #62
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Raj,

Thats what I normally do when I drive alone. But its not helping much. The similar a/c would have done wonders in a small car or a hatchback. Lets see - will try something this week to see how the blinds can also double as a partition. Will install this only if it does not hamper rear visibility.
Old 21st May 2013, 15:21   #63
Senior - BHPian

Dont do all that. Spoils the look and feel of the vehicle. I think its only we bhpians who think too much and try to get the perfecto setup , no one else even bothers to think about all these ideas.
Old 21st May 2013, 17:05   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
We were thinking of blackening the roof - however not sure (1) whether to go for it or not since this may absorb more heat (especially in the summers) and (2) if we do go for it, do we go for a gloss finish, a matt finish or a CF finish.

I am more inclined towards a gloss finish (Pshopped image below). But would want opinions and suggestions :
v12 - Did you blacken the roof? Personally I dislike it but looks good on Silver color.
Old 22nd May 2013, 01:01   #65
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Dont do all that. Spoils the look and feel of the vehicle. I think its only we bhpians who think too much and try to get the perfecto setup , no one else even bothers to think about all these ideas.
Hey Raj I dont think it will spoil the look if the fitting is done perfectly. As long as it gets the best result - its worth a try. And if we never think about all this - we wouldnt have ever had a DIY section

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
v12 - Did you blacken the roof? Personally I dislike it but looks good on Silver color.
Hey Jacs, no we cancelled the idea of blackening the roof. So its gonna remain silver.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

Hi v12, loved your take on the DIY part !

I did some analysis to improve the cooling in my Xylo last month, and did the following things over a week:

1. Installed sun film on all glasses, including windshield and rear glass.
2. Removed some bits of dried leaves and twigs which had gotten underneath the bonnet, thereby blocking the AC air inlet grille.
3. Installed door visors at 6 places, which cut out some sunlight and enabled me to keep the windows an inch rolled down to avoid heat build up when the vehicle is parked.
4. Silver stickered the entire roof.
5. Raised my average engine rpms close to the 2.5 K mark on hot days, as it seems to help the cooling.

This combination of events has improved the cooling a lot. The above flurry of activities was triggered this summer by my family, which was threatening to migrate to our friend's MUV for all our group trips, but has now happily returned to my Xylo, much to my relief
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 13:04   #67
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Mooza for the tips!! Unfortunately sunfilms are banned in Mumbai - so theres no chance of installing those.

Checked for blockages and none blocking the inlet grille.

Door visors were provided as free accessories by the dealer and although they do a good job keeping the heat out - they also hamper visibility.

Hence the roller blinds
Old 27th May 2013, 03:46   #68
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo.jpg

This weekend saw our Xylo going on a short picnic trip to Alibaug with 6 people on board. The entire experience was awesome - as mentioned by my brother - I could not make it for the trip due to bad health. Everyone enjoyed the drive - and it was a very comfortable drive according to them - 2+2+2. Even though the tempearture outside was soaring - everyone kept their cool (thanks to individual cooling vents).

The average FE returned on this trip was again a low 9.5. Anyways here are some pics of the drive.

The Xylo @ Golden Swan resort
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylotrip1.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylotrip2.jpg

The Xylo @ Alibaug beach
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylotrip3.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylotrip4.jpg

Sunset @ Alibaug
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-sunset.jpg

The fort @ Alibaug
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-fort.jpg

Some NAwab Saheb's palatial house. There were 2 Land Rovers parked inside - one Defender and not sure of the other one. No pics, unfortunately.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-palace.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-palace2.jpg

The oil spill didnt seem to matter to people who had come to enjoy.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-oil.jpg
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 13:23   #69
BHPian

Nice and detailed review. On the FE part - I have personally experienced that reducing sudden accelerations and gear changes by the way of planning the drive better gives and incredible benefit in terms of FE. I used to get around 10.5 ~ 11 kmpl in city which went upto 13 ~ 13.5 after I adjusted my driving style.

Need less to say - it also is less stressful as you are not looking to accelerate all the time.
Old 2nd June 2013, 18:40   #70
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the tip Sri! The only problem in trying out this option is that during peak hours - the traffic is always a stop-go-stop-go. The roads too, are so pathetic that when you have just picked up speed on a good stretch of road - you have to suddenly slow down for a bad patch. In all this mess, we still manage a FE of about 9 kmpl.

Anyways, here is a compilation of various alloy wheel options for the Xylo - not that I am planning on fitting any. Will be good for Xylo owners to decide if they planning to go for after market wheels. My fav are number 4, 1 and 7(in order)

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylowheeloptions.jpg
v12 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 03:50   #71
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Xylo has now completed around 7200 kms and there have been no problems whatsoever - I hope this continues till it makes it to the Long-Term Ownership Reviews section.

We did a short weekend trip to Lonavala / Karla with 7 on-board along with luggage (one bag per person) and realised a few things :
  • With full load - there is hardly any luggage space in the Xylo. The Xylo badly needs a roof carrier if you are carrying a lot of luggage.
  • The beige interiors get dirty very easily and its more visible than a black interior.
  • The middle row seat headrests touch the floor when they are folded. Please be careful when the floor is dirty.
  • Even with 7 people on-board - the Xylo flies on the Expressway. At high speeds, its a bit scary on the turns - due to its tall design.
Anyways, thats all for now - enjoy the pics!!

My favorite pic -

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo2.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo1.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo3.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo4.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo5.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo6.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo7.jpg
v12 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 16:12   #72
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo1.jpg

Notice the Xylo
Rats bit into the LHS foglights and headlight wires. The wiring has been fixed now.

Mileage update : 9.9 kmpl.
Old 19th July 2013, 11:56   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Mileage update : 9.9 kmpl.
How are you calculating this? Tankful to tankful or the AFE in the DAS? I own an H8 and the AFE reading consistantly above 16kms in highways and in city it is above 11.5kms. For my last trip to my native I got 13.5kms/ltr (tankful to tankful). Mine is a new vehicle (3wks old and 1500kms) and I am running with very light foot.

OT: Your review pictures are showing up in MahindraXylo FB page.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 22:22   #74
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo2ndservice1.jpg

The Xylo went in for its 2nd Service today - after covering 8325 kms in 8 months. As usual, the car was taken by bro to the Mahindra Authorised Service Center in Sewri. It was accompanied by a relatives Quanto which was delivered together. The booking was taken for an early morning service for both the cars - but due to some backlogs of the previous day - our cars were only taken in the afternoon. There was nothing much to do in that area and coming back home and driving all the way back to Sewri in evening traffic was not an option at all - heck there was no car to drive back in

Anyways so bro and uncle spent their whole day at the service center watching the cars being serviced. This seems to be one of the best service centers in the city. I never expected a Mahindra service center to be so organized, well-equipped and clean . The best part is that they were allowed to walk into the service bays where the cars were serviced. The technicians were very co-operative and patiently responded to any queries that were thrown to them.

The 2nd Service
As per the Service Manual, the Xylo requires an engine oil change in the first service and then every alternate service / 20,000 kms. This being the 2nd service - the engine oil was only topped up. The engine oil used for the Xylo was Mahindra Maxmile Feo. Mahindra recommends that for any other brand of engine oil - the same needs to be changed every 10,000 kms (instead of 20,000 kms). Any idea, why such a logic? Dont synthetic oils last upto 20,000 kms? Any suggestions on what is the best engine oil for the Xylo?

The following were done in the 2nd service :
Transmission oil change
Differential Oil change
Cleaning Air Filter
Tightening of external nut bolts
Engine oil top-up (Maxmile Feo)
Battery / PS steering fluid check
Tyre pressure check
Full wash

This time the only complaint that we had was the low mileage 8-9 kmpl. As per the Service Advisor, the Xylo should not be returning <10kmpl in city driving. The low mileage, he said, could be due to the driving style or a clogged air filter. The Xylo is driven mostly during the day in moderate traffic and during early morning hours when there is no traffic at all (at an average speed of 50 kmph) with a very light foot. A/C is used only one way, during the day. So I doubt the low mileage could be due to the driving style. Lets see if the 2nd service improves the mileage. Fingers crossed!!

The Service Bay
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo2ndservice5.jpg

The Xylo waiting for its turn (PIK ME UP)
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo2ndservice3.jpg

Let the services begin!
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo2ndservice4.jpg

Ready Get Set...Go! All washed and serviced and ready to hit the road agaon!
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo2ndservice2.jpg

The 2nd service bill
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo2ndservicebill.jpg

Last edited by v12 : 27th July 2013 at 22:26.
Old 28th July 2013, 04:52   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
3. Installed door visors at 6 places, which cut out some sunlight and enabled me to keep the windows an inch rolled down to avoid heat build up when the vehicle is parked.

4. Silver stickered the entire roof.

5. Raised my average engine rpms close to the 2.5 K mark on hot days, as it seems to help the cooling.
@Mooza, could you share pics for #4 ? How does this help ?

I also didnt understand how did you do #5, and how did help.

Regarding #3, it can be a problem to keep the windows rolled down like that. When you keep the glass down by 1", the glass i now supported only on 3 sides, and is easier to break (when un-attended).
One may argue that if some one wants to break a glass, he can do it anyway, but why add to the risk ?

Last edited by condor : 28th July 2013 at 05:00.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks