Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2012, 22:20   #1
BHPian

The Search
Budget: 7lakhs tops
Preference: Premium hatchbacks, Petrol, Safety features, Alloys, waiting period upto 2months, not an issue, fuel efficiency as less as 10-11 not an issue, as long as I enjoy my drives and my car.

It all started about 3months ago, when I made my first weekend trip to a plethora of dealers in the city. Initial contenders included Honda Jazz, Honda Brio, Suzuki Swift and VW Polo 1.6

I had totally eliminated Hyundai i20, though technically it is the best Value For Money car in this segment, I did not enjoy driving it (friend's car).
Also the looks are too curvy for my taste.

Since I was adamant on having ABS, airbags and Alloys, I only checked out the highest variants of all the brands.

At the the end of the weekend these were my thoughts
Brio
+ Honda badge outside, iVtec inside
- Cheap feeling plastics
- Not so good suspension and gear stick
- Lack of features (agreed it's not really a premium hatch)
- The shape which was already a deterrent in my decision
- Too much chrome on front grille (I hate excess chrome on cars trend, which seem prevelant)

Jazz X
+ Superior interiors (compared to Brio)
+ Great suspension and ride
+ Good shape and stance
+ Decent set of features
- Not so good in pickup
- It was so much identical to Honda City in many respects (sounds good, but we already have a City at home), was looking for something different.

Polo 1.6
+ Interiors felt like those from a segment above
+ Smoothest gear shift I have experienced
+ Suspensions were good, smooth ride
- High clutch although easily depressed
- Lack of power punch compared to my existing City, considering it had 100+bhp (I now realize it needs a different driving style than a Honda)
- Lack of many features, given the price, USB, steering controls, et al.

Swift Zxi
+ Black interiors are unique
+ Center console is very well loaded with features
+ Nimble to drive, had that punchy engine similar to City, rev-happy too
+ I liked the alloy wheels on it, I know that's not the popular opinion here.
- Suspensions felt ok, not better than Polo though
- Looks dated now, Nothing too different about the 2011, doesn't inspire awe, and would surely get bored of it after sometime.

So given the pricing and my preferences, and superior fuel efficiency Swift seemed to be the logical and thoughtful choice.

The Confusion

Mind said Swift but my heart told me otherwise, I just love the Polo's styling and stance, It is one of those cars which would look fresh to me, even after years (same goes for Honda City), also the prospect of driving a 100bhp was enticing me.

So I went for another test drive of the Polo.
One thing led to another and I ended up booking the Polo 1.6..

Now came the rumors about the Polo feature updates and discontinuance of 1.6, which eventually turned out to be true, hence my booking got cancelled automatically, since they actually had no 1.6 in stock!
But it all happened for the best I guess, soon enough new Polo was announced.

The few but important (I listen to music all the time) enhancements in it's feature list, not to mention the 40k reduction in ex-showroom price which meant savings of upto 60k in on-road price for a better car.

So about 2 weeks back I transferred my booking for a Polo 1.2 Highline (P) Reflex Silver
I know 1.2 is not in the same league as the 1.6 but given the scenario and the realistic fact that most of my driving would be in the city limits the engine should be good enough.

Final Deal
Ex-showroom: 5.84Lakh
On-road: 6.40Lakh

Extra optionals (over On-road)
Bluetooth device: 5k
Extended warranty + RSA: ~11k
Body care package(teflon,silencer,under-body coatings): ~8.5k

Corp Discount: 5k
So called 'freebies': mud-flaps and carpet mats

Finance:
I went for VW Finance which has 11.75% interest rate, but EMIs come out barely INR50/- more than SBI which is at 10.75% but has some arrear charges. The loan process was pretty quick and easy. 3 Days max.

Delivery
I booked my car on the 15th, Sep and got it delivered by 28th, Couldn't be happier.
So was my family, since they were particular upon the auspicious days etc, apparently 29th Sep-15th Oct wasn't good due to Sharads.

The car was registered a day prior to delivery, I wasn't given many options for regn. number, not complaining though, got a decent one.
Since high security plates are compulsory in Delhi nowadays, that has been queued up, and got normal plates with the regn. number as of now.

Delivery was delayed by a few hours, but given the fact that the vehicle had just arrived a day before, and all this happened so quickly(all my document, loan work was done within last 4-5days) it was acceptable.

Once at the show-room, salesperson wasted no time and I collected the receipts and documents from him. We then went for the car demo, the
sales guy explained the features very well Imho, even some minute details were discussed. As required of the salesperson, he gave me a quick tour of the Service area as well.

The delivery and handing over of keys was done with the usual fanfare and photo session.

First Impressions

Interiors
  1. Ingress-egress is very good, ample space between the seat legs and steering.
  2. Driving position is slightly low seated, even though I kept the seats at max height adjustment level, (I'm a relatively short guy) but I have gotten used it after few drives.
  3. The central console looks fabulous along with the new stereo, Dashboard's MFD is also interesting lots of info about the trip. Although I am yet to verify the veracity of the mileage indicator.
  4. The new leather covered gear knob is bulkier and looks great, and shifts are pretty smooth as expected. The leather on the steering as well is of top notch quality and has been very well sewn on it.
  5. The audio controls on steering have standard buttons, the mute all audio button is pretty useful. The quality of the buttons could have been better though, feel a bit fiddly and hard to press.
  6. Surprisingly though the central button on steering controls is NOT functional, sales guy told me it is so by design, there is no function for it, I quote "sir yeh to Jetta mein bh nahi chalta". I figured out through the manual that it is for bluetooth phone device support IF fitted/enabled from factory.
    The bluetooth device purchased extra is not connected to the stereo in any way, it has its own speaker, battery, and pairing with the phone, independent of car systems.
    But I'd like to add that the device works very well, once paired it auto-detects your phone next time you enter the car (or even come close to it), The voice recognition for dialing works well. It is in sync with all contacts from my phone.
  7. The power window switches are excellent, work with a flick, and single touch roll up/down for all windows. The anti pinch function works well(windows rollback if obstructed, by say a hand). The windows can also be rolled up/down by using the lock/unlock key long press on the remote key.
  8. The driver seat provides good support and cushioning, even on uneven roads (the suspensions also play a big role, I admit)
  9. Steering is unbelievably lite, good for city drives, but not so lite so as to get me in trouble at higher speeds (not yet atleast)
  10. The rear view mirror is practically useless as it's view is blocked a lot by rear seat headsets, Since I would be driving solo most of the times.
    I have removed the headrests, and the view is much better now.
  11. Funny thing, I realized on reading the car manual, the tumbler shaped accessory given is actually an ash tray!
The Drive
  1. Every car is different and has unique drive dynamics, Polo is no exception.
    Unlike the Japanese cars I have driven till now Polo is much less punishing on gear changes, that is each gear has a really wide band of speed, esp the lower speed end and doesn't seem to shudder much. (Can easily crawl at very low speeds in bumper-bumper traffic).
  2. The noise and vibrations of the engine somehow seem to transmit to you through clutch if you keep the clutch depressed for longer than needed, hence discouraging half clutch usage. I had noticed the same thing when going for Test drive of polo on different vehicles. (Bear in mind, all my comparisons are biased wrt the fact that I tend to compare it with my previous ride Honda City, which has one of the best NVH when it comes to engines). This is something I will take time to get used to, On the bright side If I change my driving style to suit this, it will mean less time spent in half clutch traffic driving and eventually better clutch life.
  3. The clutch is a touch n go affair, quick shifts are made without much effort. The ease with which clutch can be depressed negates the fact that it has a higher clutch-bite than usual.
    Talking of clutch, the foot space to the left of clutch is not much, I was comfortable resting my foot when I wore smaller shoes, but was an issue when wearing bulky Woodland ones.
  4. The delivery of power is pretty smooth and gradual, translates to a good ride and less jerks at lower rpms (haven't floored the pedal yet to know how the 3k+ rpms react). The engine does not need to rev much to gain momentum and speed.
    The speed increases pretty quickly but so smoothly that sometimes I don't even realize I have accelerated this much!
  5. Unless you roll down your windows you can't really hear the engine sound upto 3k rpms, after that range there is a nice rumble which says 'I am warming up to some speed'
  6. The steering as I mentioned before is slick and easy to use in city, with decent feedback
  7. Suspensions are the best thing about this car, making the ride a delight and feels like you are sitting in a car above it's segment
  8. There is hardly any body roll as the car takes turns at speeds, it seems very well planted on the road, those R15 tyres (stock Apollo Accelere) seem to be working fine.
I do not intend to speed the car beyond 65-70kmph during my first 1000kms and will try to keep the rev to the lower side of 2.5k rpms.
After that will be a different story

I got the delivery of my Team BHP stickers before my car, would be adorning them on my ride soon enough

The new 10 spoke alloys and smoked headlamps
My first car, the German beauty - New VW Polo - First impressions-img_20121002_121048.jpg

My first car, the German beauty - New VW Polo - First impressions-img_20121002_121133__2.jpg

My first car, the German beauty - New VW Polo - First impressions-img_20121002_121003_.jpg

MFD showing Fuel Efficiency of 10.1 despite my 2hr traffic crawl for just 30kms last night. On an average it shows 12+
Yet to verify these figures.
My first car, the German beauty - New VW Polo - First impressions-img_20121002_163925.jpg

RCD310 system playing USB
My first car, the German beauty - New VW Polo - First impressions-img_20121002_164034.jpg

Night shot with that fabulous red illumination, as per request
My first car, the German beauty - New VW Polo - First impressions-img_20121002_223605_2.jpg

Just love the bulky new gear stick head
My first car, the German beauty - New VW Polo - First impressions-img_20121002_120815.jpg

The Bluetooth mobile device, mounted on driver side sunvisor.
Value for money device.
My first car, the German beauty - New VW Polo - First impressions-img_20121002_121620.jpg

These killer looks are the reason....
My first car, the German beauty - New VW Polo - First impressions-img_20121002_121035_.jpg

Selecting the stickers, To be honest didn't have the heart of putting many stickers on the new car, Just put one each on front and rear windshields.
My first car, the German beauty - New VW Polo - First impressions-img_20121002_120449.jpg

Thanks Team-BHP for helping me make this decision
Will share my further experiences...
My first car, the German beauty - New VW Polo - First impressions-img_20121002_121323.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2012 at 11:37. Reason: Adding your pics to the opening post itself
envy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 02:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My first car, the German beauty - New VW Polo - First impressions

Let me be the first to congratulate you on the Polo. Its a brilliant car, and I hope it remains trouble-free through your ownership period

The one thing I enjoy most is the ride quality and handling, its superb,once you start taking it to the highways you'll enjoy it that much more. The composure is brilliant by hatchback standards!

Do post pics of the car, especially the interiors with the illumination at night.

Wish you a many safe miles in your Polo. Drive safe!
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:59   #3
BHPian

Congrats on the polo. Back home, we have a polo in the family (albeit the turbo lag ridden diesel!). The pure elegance of the stling, the planted stance, the quality that is apparent to the eye - it is one for people who appreciate quality over quantity. And the car feels very solid, the interiors are top notch and it rides decently. A good highway cruiser more than a bruiser I'd say. But you could have had more fun in the 1.6 though!
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:35   #4
BHPian

Hello Envy,
Congrats on your New Polo !
Do post the pics of your ride.
Wishing you happy miles with this German engineered beauty.
Drive Safe
VishnuNarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new polo.
I just saw a white highline with blackend headlamps borders and it looked awesome.
Also looks like the new one comes with awesome set of alloys as well.

I have not driven the Polo (3-cylinder engine ), so wanted to know how is the nvh on 1.2 polo.

Please post loads of pictures of your new car.

Drive Safe
Cheers
Old 2nd October 2012, 23:44   #6
BHPian

BEAUTIFUL!

Congrats on the VDub.

Check to see if there is a provision for a DRL within the fog lamp assembly (a la Fabia).

Last edited by speed kills : 2nd October 2012 at 23:48.
Old 3rd October 2012, 00:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
BEAUTIFUL!
Check to see if there is a provision for a DRL within the fog lamp assembly (a la Fabia).
Never thought of it before, will do.
Currently park lights + fog lamps run together, can't switch on lamps alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Congrats on the new polo.
I have not driven the Polo (3-cylinder engine ), so wanted to know how is the nvh on 1.2 polo.
Compared to some other hatches in the segment the NVH is a bit on the higher side, but not annoying.
It is a good change imho, cars should have some characteristic sound, the usual japanese/korean counterparts completely lack that. They are like driving electric cars, and you have to rev them a lot before you hear the engine. That too is more of a buzzing sound rather than a mild rumble like in Polo. 3 Pots are known to be noisy, but this is a good noise so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
The one thing I enjoy most is the ride quality and handling, its superb,once you start taking it to the highways you'll enjoy it that much more. The composure is brilliant by hatchback standards!
True, that's very noticeable even in a short drive.
It's like the car doesn't have wheels, riding on cushion experience.
Looking forward to it's highway experience in near future
Old 3rd October 2012, 00:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new refreshed Polo envy, the smoked headlamps and the new alloys look killer. Infact i find the new Polo alloys way better than the Vento ones (both old and new), the gear lever stick looks chic.

Polo has nowgot all the additions it deserved in terms of features, have fun.
Old 3rd October 2012, 00:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Envy, the car looks kicakass with the new lights and alloys. Are the glasses tinted ?
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:07   #10
BHPian

WOW !! That car looks killer. I'm contemplating getting the Black one soon. Just wanted to know, does the Bluetooth work with the steering mounted controls.
Switch to those LED lamps for the park lamps and the Rear plate illumination. Will go well with the car color.

Drive safe mate.
Old 3rd October 2012, 07:33   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on finally getting the Polo. Its a brilliant car, and I hope it remains trouble-free through your ownership period .

Though 1.6 is great car seems for your driving profile (city limits) the 1.2 sutis you.
The great thing about the Polo is the ride quality, handling, the suspension and the killer looks.

Wish you a many safe miles in your Polo. Drive safe!

Cheers!
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:16   #12
BHPian

Congratulations Envy ! Was so looking forward to a review of the newly launched Polo - and this helped.
However, I am still disturbed by the reports on vapor that is seen on the outside of the windshield due to engine room heat waves - apparently, this is due to poor insulation and only in Petrol Polo. I read about this in Autocar. Do let us know if you face any issues around the same.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

@ Envy : Congratulations for your first car and you have chosen one of the best hatches available in the market. The addition of features and the price correction has made the Polo more attractive.
Quote:
Suspensions are the best thing about this car, making the ride a delight and feels like you are sitting in a car above it's segment
As you very rightly said the suspension of the Polo is ideal for Indian road condition.

Wish you a trouble free ownership and many happy miles in the Polo.

Drive safe.
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by envy View Post
Attachment 994908

These killer looks are the reason....
Attachment 994909
Congratulations on the car envy. Some how the darkened headlamps and new alloy design give the Polo a lot more sinister presence than the original one. I saw the new white Vento with the darkened headlamps and the effect is just not the same as on the silver one. So on a great color combo.

One accessory if you must buy if you use the iPod is the iPod cable http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2824843 .

Cheers and Happy motoring

Sid
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new ride!! Those new headlamps look really nice , there is a vento parked in my office basement with the new lamps as well and i could not stop staring at them for about 2 minutes , they look really sharp!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks