Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2012, 22:31   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Driven

Great review Sharanvenu. You have covered almost all points, but about the Tyre dimensions. You said it is under tyred, but was is the spec of the OE Tyre delivered. Hope there is a big scope for Tyre upgrade.

The door handles could have been placed a bit up on the doors. Somewhere the whole car looks out of proportion. Need to see it in flesh to get a proper image.
Old 6th October 2012, 22:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Loved the frames and angle of shoots.
Thank you. Conveyed the same to Mr. Arun Venugopal who generated those wonderful snaps for us. Incidentally, this is the first time he has worked with non-living models and he was very upset about it. He happens to be a fashion photographer by profession.
Old 6th October 2012, 22:44   #18
BHPian

Wow Sharanvenu! Thanks for putting such a nice review that too before offical one.

You have put in a five star effort to write the details with pictures.

You have re-affirmed the standards set by Team-BHP.
Old 6th October 2012, 22:57   #19
Team-BHP Support

Sharan, are you sure about 320 litres boot space part? Definitely looks a lot more than that - when you fold the jump seats. You can pile up the luggage all the way up to the top the rear bench.
Old 6th October 2012, 23:00   #20
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe the Quanto looks out of proportion for the following reasons :

1. We are so used to the sheer size of the Xylo - that a vehicle similar to the Xylo - has its rear chopped off. So more than accepting it as a Quanto - we look at it as a mini-Xylo. This wouldnt have been the case - if the Xylo never existed, and the Quanto launched first.

2. The Quanto is definitely a mini-Xylo. The length has been reduced, the wheels have been shortened - but the overall greenhouse area remains the same. Look at he side profile pic - the glass area covers atleast half the door. We are not used to such huge glass area on any of our modern MUV - notice the greenhouse area goes tapering upwards from the front to rear. Look at the dead-front pic - you will never be able to tell the difference between the Xylo and the Quanto.
Old 6th October 2012, 23:07   #21
BHPian

Wow what a crisp and in-depth review. It totally felt like going through an official review of TBHP.

You have covered the Quanto in detail. I was so impressed with your writing and photographs that even at the end I was still longing for more.

Yes I agree about the hair raising experience at speeds above 100km. Any vehicle with high CG will attribute to bad handling and a fear of topple.
Old 6th October 2012, 23:24   #22
BHPian

Oh my God, great absolute lovely review. For a minute I was thought it was Parrys because I usually notice the colour of the MOD avatar as it is a bluish purple but for everyone else its just white. I had to scroll up to see who it was.

Brilliant photography and the approach angle bit was inspired thinking.

Well deserved 5 stars, keep up the good work.

Cheers
Old 6th October 2012, 23:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
@sharanvenu, Great review covering even minute details
Thank you Bejoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Thanks for the great review Sharvanvenu. Rating the thread much deserved 5 stars. You seem to be particularly harsh on the handling. Is it even worse than the Xylo?
Thank you vibbs. The greater length of overhang present seem to improve the handling of the Xylo. It is interesting to note that the Quanto is shorter than the Xylo.

Quote:
How is the ride quality on bad roads at slow and high speeds. How would you rate it vis a vis premium hatches and entry level sedans? How would you compare the comfort level (considering a mix of ride quality and body roll) at second row for 4 and 5 persons with say a swift or an i20 in case of hatchbacks and a manza or verito in case of sedans?
Ride over bad roads is bouncy but you can be sure of crossing most terrain. I believe that is the whole point in having an SUV. Even the mighty Ford Endeavour needs to be ridden at crawling speeds over rough terrain. But it can go places that a hatch back or sedan can't imagine. Manza and Verito ride better, but they may not handle terrain that the Quanto is capable of.

Quote:
Are you sure the boot space is only 315 Litres? I read somewhere it is above 600 Litres.
600 l can be achieved with the middle row seats also folded down

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Brilliant write-up.
Thank you Vasanth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
@sharanvenu superb review there. Great effort on your side to provide us yet another crisp and neutral review that we TBHPians always cherish.
Thank you Girish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Excellent review, rated it much deserved 5*.

One small question from my side. Why is the rev limiter made all the way till 7000 rpm when the engine mCR100 develops all the power at 3750 revs only? Does it give a false notion to the owner.
Thank you el lobo. The tacho, numbered till 7,000 rpm may be only for symmetry. A tacho numbered only till 4 or 5k rpm would look really awkward I think. The rev limiter may come into picture at around 4000 rpm or so. I'm not sure. I did not want to rev the engine much as the vehicle had run only 600 km. Don't know why, I behave like I am in love with any engine I come across and can't even think of doing any harm to them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
Excellent review and nice pics !
You have covered almost all the aspects with a professional touch !
I am sure that this review would help everyone in evaluating Quanto .
Thank you VishnuNarayanan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshpisharodi View Post
That is an awesome review !!! Kudos to Sharanvenu ......

It comes at right time for me. I wanted to go for a test drive this week but couldn't make.

Can you please throw some details on 'bouncy' ride ? Is it more felt only in middle and rear seats ? Or is the suspension needs a review ?
Thank you Suresh. The ride is bouncy in the middle & 3rd row seats particularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Good review! I must say, the quality of photographs and the observations are very close to our official reviews. Mahindra have done a mixed job for the Quanto. In some areas it shines and in some it fails. Very rightly pointed by you that they should have worked more on weight reduction and body roll.

In the OD test video, they mentioned that the m-eagle engine is borrowed and modified to 3 cylinders. You mentioned that its been borrowed from the m-hawk! Can you confirm?
Thank You. This piece of information was conveyed to me by a service engineer with Mahindra. I too have my doubts now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Nice observation. I liked it.
Great review and the style is pretty suitable and pertinent.
Thank You Rajeev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulrajeev View Post
Great review Sharanvenu. You have covered almost all points, but about the Tyre dimensions. You said it is under tyred, but was is the spec of the OE Tyre delivered. Hope there is a big scope for Tyre upgrade.
Thank you Rahul!

The OE tyres a Bridgestone B390 's rated at 205/65 R15. Tyres are not small for a vehicle of this size. But the wheel arches give you that feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
Wow Sharanvenu! Thanks for putting such a nice review that too before offical one.

You have put in a five star effort to write the details with pictures.

You have re-affirmed the standards set by Team-BHP.
Thank You Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Sharan, are you sure about 320 litres boot space part? Definitely looks a lot more than that - when you fold the jump seats. You can pile up the luggage all the way up to the top the rear bench.
As per the industry practice while measuring boot volume, the top most point will be in line with the height of the back seat. Piling above the height of your back seat is extremely dangerous and hence is not considered. With the middle row seats also folded down, you have got 600 l of space to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferocks View Post
Wow what a crisp and in-depth review. It totally felt like going through an official review of TBHP.

You have covered the Quanto in detail. I was so impressed with your writing and photographs that even at the end I was still longing for more.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Oh my God, great absolute lovely review. For a minute I was thought it was Parrys because I usually notice the colour of the MOD avatar as it is a bluish purple but for everyone else its just white. I had to scroll up to see who it was.

Brilliant photography and the approach angle bit was inspired thinking.

Well deserved 5 stars, keep up the good work.

Cheers
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Excellent review sharan! Thanks for sharing. One clarification:

Do you mean the trip meter when you mentioned Trip computer ? if so, then you can make out two lines Trip A, Trip B in the 1st photograph of your second post. Can you clarify ?
Thank you Hari. 2 Trip meters are present with the Odo. By trip computer I meant to convey the display which alerts you with distance to empty, avg. fuel consumption etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawnpore ghost View Post
Honest, Professional and Comprehensive review. Pure Team BHP pedigree.
Thank You

Quote:
Hope it doesn't take away the driving pleasure.
No, the 240 Nm of torque easily makes up for it.

Quote:
Too many questions here,
Would the Quanto attract hatch buyers?
Would they compromise on refinement,efficiency, recreational driving for intimidating stance?
Would the Quanto please personal use Bolero buyers?
What does Tata do if this effort takes Mahindra to the number 2 spot? Will it prove that Mahindra understands the Indian requirements, sales mantra better than Tata?
How will this new compact utility segment affect B2/C1?
1) Yes, the price tag would attract hatch buyers.
2) There may be people who are bored with mundane hatchbacks and long for a change.
3) Unlikely. The dimensions and safety features may be the only advantages the Quanto has over the Bolero.
4) Tata will wait, wait and wait and eventually do nothing. Mahindra understands the Indian Market than any other manufacturer. Even better than Maruti. The Logan as a practical car is the perfect example for Mahindra's understanding of the market. I feel that Mahindra is steadily making its way to the No.1 spot.
5)The B2 will not be affected much I guess. As the Ertiga could not make a dent on it, I dont expect any other car to make a significant impact. Regarding C1, the market has to reveal itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Wonderful review Sharan, only realised how tall this thing is after you posed beside it. Some snaps are taken quite intelligently. Also thank you for mentioning your height, gives a very good perspective of how comfortable this vehicle is going to be.
Thank you

Last edited by sharanvenu : 7th October 2012 at 09:39.
sharanvenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 23:43   #24
BHPian

Good review and happy to know Mahindra engineers applied thier learnings to bring down the engine vibration (eventhough it is three cylinder engine!) and comparitively lesser turbo lag. This may not be a head turner but makes sense for city use.
Old 7th October 2012, 00:53   #25
BHPian

Excellent review sharan! Thanks for sharing. One clarification:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
The console needles ...... Please note that the trip computer is missing even in the top variant.
Do you mean the trip meter when you mentioned Trip computer ? if so, then you can make out two lines Trip A, Trip B in the 1st photograph of your second post. Can you clarify ?

Thanks!
Old 7th October 2012, 01:46   #26

Honest, Professional and Comprehensive review. Pure Team BHP pedigree.

Quote:
Roomy interiors
Quote:
him getting a Xylo and he called me explaining how comfortable he was in the third row of seats in the Xylo.
Proven time and again, foreign players are no match for our domestic giants when it comes to interior space available/money invested in vehicle.

Quote:
The Duster came, conquered but left half of the suitors impatient, disheartened or dejected because of its long waiting period
Now, its time for the Quanto to make entry.
In powers that be at Tata, Toyota, Hyundai and others alike should not be mute spectators. With Bolero being sold out like a Maruti and Renault slaughtering its sibling in a single orchestrated move. The charm of utility vehicles and the new found addiction of compact utility is apparently visible.

Quote:
This as per Mahindra is the world's smallest production engine to get a 2 stage turbocharger.
Should be at par with K9K in my opinion. Mahindra engines are robust, and the technology offered at the price really sends a chill down the spines of some foreign players. This one might as well be the cheapest twin turbo diesel.

Quote:
The car looks like a grown up hatch from some angles.
Lack of rear overhang+small tires reflect the overgrown hatch look, embarrassing the spare wheel.

Quote:
The quanto gets a 183cc compressor for the AC
Hope it doesn't take away the driving pleasure.

Quote:
The foot well is wide and you get a dead pedal as well.
Commendable. A dead pedal should be standard in all cars.

Quote:
But the Quanto here is a criminal example for these handling characteristics.
Typical Xylo lineage, flick of your hands at decent speed and you are lying there immobile, top down.

Quote:
Quanto has got its own significance in the market at this time and its worth going for a test drive and finding out by yourself whether this is the one for you.
Too many questions here,
Would the Quanto attract hatch buyers?
Would they compromise on refinement,efficiency, recreational driving for intimidating stance?
Would the Quanto please personal use Bolero buyers?
What does Tata do if this effort takes Mahindra to the number 2 spot? Will it prove that Mahindra understands the Indian requirements, sales mantra better than Tata?
How will this new compact utility segment affect B2/C1?
cawnpore ghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 04:44   #27
BHPian

Wonderful review Sharan, only realised how tall this thing is after you posed beside it. Some snaps are taken quite intelligently. Also thank you for mentioning your height, gives a very good perspective of how comfortable this vehicle is going to be.
Old 7th October 2012, 10:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Superb! Very nice and detailed review. The car looks great, however the height doesn't look quite in proportion with the length or the width of the car. A tyre upsize will maybe enhance the looks and side profile. I am impressed by the quality of plastics used and as you said, the cabin looks well put together. Last row, is for kids only. But overall a nice vehicle. I like it. Thanks for sharing your (re)view !
Old 7th October 2012, 11:04   #29

Great review, apart from the details I would expect few more details for vehicles to allow purchasers to make the right decision.

1. Is it family safe vehicle as after all interiors and exteriors, it depends if a full family sitting inside can be safe in event of accident.

2. The tall boy probably might not have been necessary, but I think Mahindra engineers were more looking at how to chop it down below 4 meters for more sales than thinking if the vehicle should be reduced in size too.
3. The only thing that might really go against this vehicle is the taxi segment which will jump on it, beating the sumo sales probably, not sure if quanto will cannibalize the xylo sales numbers
Old 8th October 2012, 19:08   #30
BHPian

I believe the review has more positive points to it then the vehicle/ contraption itself and so great work there. Personal opinion, a perfect example of how not to design a car. Obviously, this will fit right in with some of the other odd shapes we see everyday on our roads; Mahindra has used this to it's advantage and so I think no one will notice the difference. Weirdly enough the only advantage is that it's manufactured in this day and age so everyone will have an opportunity to buy this new contraption (for those who get it).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks