Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2014, 14:10   #61
BHPian

Re: An Owner's Take: Renault Duster RXZ(O)

Hello Everyone! I am updating this thread after a long time. Was busy with too many other things in life and my driving had reduced a lot. My company has offered a position abroad. I am relocating out of the country by end of June and selling the car – ad coming soon in teambhp.com. But, I thought it’s a good idea to document the ownership experience one last time before I let the car go!

Maintenance:
Car is running as good as new. It has done about 17,900 KMS now in 20 months. First service at 10,000 was straight forward - oil filter change and oil change. Wheel alignment, balancing & tyre rotation were also done at my request. It appears like a cheap to maintain car. Every time I see a Meru cab with more than 3 lakhs KMS on it, I feel more confident about the long term ability of the car!

Troubles:
I had documented a blue tooth problem earlier. Service centre applied a software patch for this and the problem appears to be solved. But, still, the overall audio unit is subpar in the electronics space. Added a sub and a JBL amplifier, the music sound quality is good enough for my taste. The indicator stalk auto turn off lever is inconsistent and it slips. They said they’ll replace it inside warranty but have not found time to take it to them. No issues apart from the cosmetic things above. 4 years or 80,000 KM warranty helps!

Drive:
The 110 PS is a highway star! It’s not only about power when needed, but its fantastic ability to cruise around 3 digit speeds with engine ticking around 2000 RPM in a relaxed manner in the 6th gear. It can cruise all day without stressing the engine or the driver. Lower NVH of lower RPM is added advantage. Most overtaking can be done by pressing the gas – turbo would kick in right there to complete the overtaking manoeuvre. In Indian highways, its not about how fast the car can go. Hey, even a humble Alto can do 3 digit speeds. But, its about how fast one can reach from 40 KMPH to say, 100 KMPH. 110 PS excels in this space & its acceleration in this core driving range is outstanding. It can beat a Scorpio, Innova hollow.

Not much has been said about this but the first gear has enormous torque. Car dismisses any steep incline with ease. Extremely useful when you encounter that ultra steep ramp even when the car is fully loaded. Totally under appreciated feature.

I have by and large got used to the turbo lag and city driving. Nevertheless, if the main goal owning the car is office commute during weekdays in a crowded metro, there are easier manual cars out there even though automatics are the best by a mile.

Back Seat Space:
I have seen some complaints about lack of back seat space. We typically seem to pull the front seat all the way back, and see the distance between the back seat and front seat visually. What a terrible way to measure the space! First, Dusters back seat depth is large and offers a much better thigh support – the legs don’t come out of the seat too far. What if the seat depth is reduced? Visually it will appear like there is more space & will compromise the thigh support and that’s what most manufacturers resort to. Second, it’s more important to measure the space with driver seat in driving position. I am 6ft plus and if I set the driving position to my comfort, I can go and sit comfortably on the back seat. In my view, back seat space is a non-issue in practice. The rear A/C is great – folks sitting in the back seat would appreciate it.

Please let me know if there are specific questions.

Last edited by idofsuresh : 17th May 2014 at 14:17.
idofsuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2014, 14:31   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
I'd second that. Our driving 80% on highways and we find 110 is fantastic. Actually after a couple of months even city
driving is fine. You get used to it. Cheers
I completely agree. My driving pattern is about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
The only advantage of 110 BHP version which comes to my mind is better power after 120/125 kmph, which we require only very occasionally. Any views?
Thanks
I have to disagree. Ability to cruise in 6th gear at lower RPM, strong acceleration where it matters 40-100 kmph range. These are the key differences and they are required every time in every long drive. You might even get better fuel efficiency since you are cruising at a lower RPM compared to the 80 PS. Disclaimer: Fuel efficiency is a speculation. Outstanding torque in first gear helps a lot in those steep inclines.
idofsuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 10:13   #63
BHPian

The car is sold to a dealer - he offered a fair price. Thanks everyone.
Old 23rd November 2015, 23:23   #64
BHPian

Dear fellow Duster owners and fellow BHPians,
My Duster (85 bhp) has done 11K approximately. It has consistently shown the mileage of around 14.5 so far. But now that I have returned from a 2.5 K long trip, the mileage is down to 13 per litre. The trip was almost entirely a highway drive, which, the common sense suggests, should return a better mileage, not a reduced one. I am just intrigued. I would welcome your feedback on the issue. Thanks.
Old 23rd November 2015, 23:33   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itinerant View Post
Dear fellow Duster owners and fellow BHPians,
My Duster (85 bhp) has done 11K approximately. It has consistently shown the mileage of around 14.5 so far. But now that I have returned from a 2.5 K long trip, the mileage is down to 13 per litre.
The FE seems much lower? Quite surprised that you been getting such a low number right through. I am at 60K and my average has been 17.5 right through. (Even mine is an 85)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 23:47   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The FE seems much lower? Quite surprised that you been getting such a low number right through. I am at 60K and my average has been 17.5 right through. (Even mine is an 85)
Yes it is lower than what i expected. But then I thought it is because of start-stop city driving. But this latest trip has got me a little concerned. Do you reckon I should get the vehicle inspected? I have no other complaints whatsoever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks