Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2012, 14:52   #1

2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!

Hello world one and all !! Yeah, I know .. the initial phrase shows off my excitement already, isnt't it? Cliche ... Well its true. I am excited would be an understatement. I have drooled on this car since the time it entered the Indian market and have been longing for it for the past 6 months. Finally I have got my own Jazz home and yes, I am all smiles for a good reason!!

Cars in comparison before zeroing down on the Jazz: Maruti Swift Zxi, Hyundai i20 (Petrol) and Skoda Rapid (Wierd??)

What made me choose the Jazz? Not being prejudiced -I loved the car always. However, after the first test drive, me and my wife were absolutely sure that this was the car for us. We are a growing family - expecting my second kid end of this month in fact. We wanted a car which was reliable, good on mileage, had space behind for kids when required and safe for long drives. Since my normal drive is around 40 km a day only and I don't like changing my cars in less than 10 yrs, I couldn't think of a better option. A big thank you to all team BHPians for the lovely advises, reviews and views which only made my decision easier.

Dealer satisfaction: I booked the car at the end of September. I wanted possession in October in order to manage funds. The deal was confirmed and I was a happy man. However, the dealer informed me in time that from October 1st, 2012 the prices on the Jazz were going up by almost Rs. 20,000!! The same was for other Honda models as well. I verified the news and it was true. I discussed with the dealer and he accepted a security cheque and declaration from me first with delivery in October. But billing would be done on 30th September only. To my surprise, the dealer called me on 30/09 and asked me to take possession without actually paying for the car. He actually gave me the car on 30/09 since he didn't want to keep it in the showroom from 01/10 onwards. Kudos to the dealer for understanding the situation and providing me with the car in time.

I also negotiated for Michelin tyres only which the dealer complied with after reading about it on the posts on Team-BHP! I got Michelin Energy 2. Not sure if that makes a difference.

No discounts again whatsoever on the Jazz as we all know and agree but the dealer was nice enough to give me some freebies which included a Black-Cat gear lock and window visors.

Total on-road price: Rs. 6,79,000 all inclusive of registration charges, number plates (High Security), Extended Insurance (4 Yrs/80K Kms) + 4 Yrs Road Side Assistance.

My purchases: Other than that, I got the blue-lit scuff plates, rear parking sensor with camera, side beading, bumper guards, running day lights and the spoiler as well - all from outside. The cost is really cheap as compared to the dealer prices. Besides all the accessories have come with a one year warranty and none of them void the warranty on the car. I got the spoiler installed finally and it looks cool!! I am posting some pictures of the same as well. The spoiler cost me Rs. 2,900 including paint and installation as compared to the dealer who was asking Rs. 8,000 for the same!

About the car - The likes and dislikes :- So far so good and too early I guess for a performance report. However, here it goes. So far I have done around 300 Kms on it and mostly in city traffic with some congestion on Toll plazas in peak hour.

1. Plus - The overall build quality seems very sturdy. The door closes with a good thump. Insulation is fantastic which is why one cannot hear any sound at all, even with the AC on. At times on red lights, I need to actually verify if it has not shut off by mistake.

2. Plus - The Aero dynamic shape is something to just love in the car. In any other car, I felt that there was some plus and some minus about the shape and gradually I trained my mind to like it. In this car, I have yet to spot a minus in the overall shape and dimensions and yet to come across a soul for the same as well. And no, I am not trying to sound like a Honda Jazz salesman.

3. Minus - What I do not like about the car is the seat level from the ground. Higher than my old city, it is still a little low - it could be hard for elderly people and people with disabilities or knee joint problems to easily get in and out of the car. Since my height is only 5'6", I do not really find it a problem though except the feeling of under thigh support after a long drive in traffic.

4. Plus - Interiors is fantastic. A completely premium feel. Very good quality of material used.

5. Minus - Certain missing features like Bluetooth connectivity and ipod ready function, rain sensing wipers are missing. I have compromised on them in lieu of everything else I believe.

6. Plus - The control panel gives all relevant information - with analogue dials for speed, fuel and RPM and the digital OSD provides an online real time F/E ratio, trip meter, total distance and average F/E till date based on previous driving profile. The orange backlight is very soft and pleasing to the eyes. Seatbelt and door open reminders are present. The instrument panel has a very upmarket feel.

7. Minus - I can't say the same unfortunately about the fabric seat covers. Very nice but the upholstery and the trim need to be protected or else one would require a dry cleaning every few months, specially if you have small kids in the house.

8. Neutral - I am not sure about the F/E as yet as I have only filled it once on the day of delivery. The mileage calculator on the OSD shows as 14.5 km/Litre as on date depending on my driving profile. I am not sure how true that may be though. Will update the same later once I have done 2 refills on my own. I think it calculates only based on the last trip and not overall. My current driving profile requires a 18 km run each way from and to work in a very busy environment and imperfect road conditions. My AC is always on.

9. Plus - The engine performs brilliantly and the response is instantaneous once you cross the 2000 RPM mark.

10. Minus - Below the 2000 RPM mark, the car slogs a little. Very smooth but its not as responsive like my Type II Honda City. You need to wait until it wakes up to your call.

11. Neutral - The suspension is good though a little hard (I believe that is because it is very new??) My old Honda city's suspension is like a soft cushion in comparison. I still find it better than some other cars I have driven.

12. The HVAC is very effective as on any new car I guess. However, there is no sound or vibration of any kind when the supplementary fan or AC goes on or off. Again, on lower RPM's, and with AC on, the car drags a little. Until now I have not felt the need to turn the fan knob to 3 even in daytime.

13. Plus - The rear-view and side mirrors provide good enough view from all sides of the car making it easy to navigate.

14. Plus - The space inside is fantastic but that is something we all knew about the Jazz, isn't it? Fold the magic seats and you can lay a small bed for kids to play and sleep on a long drive. Secret compartments to hold security documents or cash. 10 Bottle holders with 2 can holders in front of the AC vents is an interesting idea.

15. Minus - There are 2 glove boxes (lot of space) but none of them are either lit or have AC vents inside.

16. Plus - Gearshift at this moment is as smooth as it can be with the short gear-stick, so no lag of RPM is felt at all. No downshifting required due to RPM loss as of now as even in 3rd or 4th gear, if you go down to 20 KMPH, it picks up again beautifully without showing any frowns or strain on the engine.

17. Plus - Central locking works very nice and it has the immobilizer protection. But - Minus - the doors wont auto lock or open based on ignition profile, and there is no reminder or auto off feature for lights on power off either.

14. Neutral - I hear that the ground clearance is not that great but so far haven't scratched the bottom even once even on some poor speed breakers where my Honda city still touches down sometimes.

15. Plus - Drive quality: For the last one week I have taken the car out on a long drive and several short ones. In traffic, the car performs beautifully because of the slick gear shift. On empty stretches - the iVtec is something to boast about. Very smooth. No rattles or sounds. Brakes work very well coming to an almost instant stop without any screeches or skidding. Handling is very good. My wife who is now in the final month of her pregnancy is able to drive the car around very comfortably! (This car is a gift to her actually before my second kid and she loves it)

Summary: I feel the car is a winner among most Petrol cars I have ever driven or experienced in my career till date. Proud to be a BHPian and proud now to own a Honda Jazz.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!-front-view.jpg  

2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!-rear-view.jpg  

2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!-side-profile.jpg  

2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!-spoiler.jpg  

2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!-steering.jpg  

2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!-scuff-plates.jpg  

2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!-instrument-cluster.jpg  

2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!-glove-box-closed.jpg  

2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!-center-console.jpg  

2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!-parking-camera-sensor.jpg  

Last edited by knarang : 11th October 2012 at 14:18. Reason: Updated driving report after first 300 Kms.
knarang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 15:51   #2
BHPian

Re: 2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!

Hearty congratulations Knarang.
I also have sweet spot in my heart for this car from the time it's launched in India.
Dashboard is really something totally different and fantastic tough lacks some features like bluetooth.
I would really like to see some interior pictures with good quality.
Kagu floor mats would be really something you need immediately if haven't procured already.
illuminated door plates look cool.
Enjoy the safe and sound drive.
Old 9th October 2012, 16:26   #3

Hi Nicky and thank you for your wishes.

Yes, I have not yet gone for the floor mats and seat covers which needs to come in real soon. Thanks for the advice on Kagu. I will go around this weekend to look for it. I will ensure to post some good quality pictures within this week surely. Thanks again!
Old 9th October 2012, 18:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Great car and absolutely a steal after the price revision. My only grouse is the low front passenger seating resulting in terrible under thigh support. Driver side has height adjust. How are you coping ?
Old 9th October 2012, 18:30   #5
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the Jazz club(Quite a few now on tbhp)!! I so envy you having to pay less taxes compared to Bangalore where it costs around 70-80K more due to the stupid RTO prices!

The blue lit side looks good. I will try to get it on my car too along with possibly a reverse camera sensor although the Honda dealer made it sound like a stupid thing to have when buying the car!!!

and as you mentioned the negatives, the only thing i feel which makes a difference would be Bluetooth Connectivity but i guess thats the compromise you have to make on owning what is otherwise a terrific car! btw whats a rain sensing wiper? It automatically works on detecting rain? Didnt know that!!

Last edited by shadows123 : 9th October 2012 at 18:33.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:29   #6

@Narayan: Yes, I agree there is a problem of the low seating. However, I am upgrading myself from my old Honda City so this feels fantastic. The problem is not really so bad in getting in and out of the car as I thought it would be. The driver side foot rest helps a lot in long drives. Passenger side since the leg space is ample, you can stretch a little and won't feel the pressure. Since I am not too tall (5'6") I guess I don't face much trouble. If you are 6' + I am not sure if it could be a major concern.

@Shadows123: Yes, rain sensing wipers (comes with the top end i20 and verna) are basically wipers that sense rain (water) and run automatically once put on auto mode. I am not sure how effective they are as they seem to work only in heavy downpours. But as a feature, surely it beats switching on and off your wipers again.
Old 10th October 2012, 11:12   #7

Hi again

Attaching some more pictures of the interiors as I was asked to. I also got my spoiler fixed so thats a new addition. It costed me Rs. 2,900 including painting and fitting charges as compared to Rs. 8,000 that Honda demands.

I inquired locally but unable to get hold of 3D mats as suggested by Nicky. I saw them online on e-bay somewhere for around 5K for Jazz. Can I buy it safely online you think? I am also looking at Autoform for seat covers. Any suggestions?

So far, the OSD is showing me a mileage of 14.7Kmpl. I am not sure how accurate that may be. So far no noises, no loose screws, no rattles and have my fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!-foot-rest-pedals.jpg  

2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!-front-speaker.jpg  

2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!-glove-box-closed.jpg  

2012 Honda Jazz Select comes home...Jiving!-glove-box-open.jpg  

Last edited by knarang : 11th October 2012 at 14:24. Reason: Removing duplicate pictures
knarang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 10:54   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12th October 2012, 12:32   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on making a wonderful choice knarang!! The kind of road-presence that the Jazz has is rarely seen on any other Hatch sold in India.

Not to spoil the mood, but when your daily drive was 40km, was there a specific reason for not to think about a diesel mill?

Congrats once again! Wish you endless safe and happy miles on the JAZZ
Old 12th October 2012, 13:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
Not to spoil the mood, but when your daily drive was 40km, was there a specific reason for not to think about a diesel mill?
@Driving Nomad: Thanks for the wishes! Yes, I too feel that this car is in a league of its own in terms of a premium hatchback. For the diesel - I have debated and discussed and my reason was as follows:

1. Initial shell out for diesel car: At least 1 - 1.5L more than Petrol variant
2. My drive - 5d/week @ 40Km avg. = appr. 10,000 Km / year
3. Cost recovery of 1.5L with diesel price differential = apprx. Rs. 25,000/year (considering both cars give avg. of 15KMPL)
4. That gives me cost return without interest in about 5 to 6 years by when the long term running costs of the diesel car will increase to more than double than of a petrol Honda.

Since I am in service and want to keep my car for a long time and not sell it in 5 years, I saw no benefit of buying a diesel car, spending more initially, more later for maintenance and still feel the vibrations under the belt :-) I have always found Petrol cars easy to maintain with a much lesser cost of maintenance including servicing as well. If I had an LPG option in the Jazz, I would surely go for it maybe..... ?

I hope I have made the right choice I may still have an option of changing my other car 2 yrs down the line to a Diesel or alternate fuel one in case I have a better reasoning. Cheers!
Old 12th October 2012, 13:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

@knarang,

Congratulations on the white beauty. The car stands out amongst the petrol peers.

Good thing that you changed to Michelins, would like to know your review of the XM2's. I felt the mounting of the rear camera is little out of place, rear bumpers is not ideal place for the camera.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 13:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarang View Post
14. Plus - The space inside is fantastic but that is something we all knew about the Jazz, isn't it? Fold the magic seats and you can lay a small bed for kids to play and sleep on a long drive.

Summary: I feel the car is a winner among most Petrol cars I have ever driven or experienced in my career till date. Proud to be a BHPian and proud now to own a Honda Jazz.
Congragulations on buying what I rate one of the two best cars for sale in India (the other is the Innova).

I am trying to save enough to pick up one of these as well. Already having three cars and one bike in the house with two drivers makes it difficult to justify, but you can't argue with love, can you.

My only concern with this car is the low GC, escpecially if I am going to use the car in Coorg. It is OK in Banglaore.

With regards to using the back seat area as a bed/play area, I only have one thing to say. I try to make it a rule that everybody is always seatbelted when the car is in motion. I fail to understand people driving around with children standing in the back seat. It is just too dangerous.

I understand it is difficult for a child to be in a car seat for long periods of time, but please put safety ahead of convenience (a child bawling for half an hour because he is in the child seat is difficult and irritating, I know) but is it really worth it to drive without a seatbelted person. An accident can happen in a heartbeat through no fault of your own. What happens then
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 13:27   #13

@ghodlur: Thanks! I didn't know that the position for the cam was wrong .... now that you mention it - maybe thats true. Unfortunately the damage is done in a way and can't be fixed at the moment. However, please inform what would be an ideal place for the same so that I can look at it if ever an opportunity arises in the future!
Old 12th October 2012, 13:33   #14

@pganapathy: Thanks! Yes, I 100% agree with you re. the children play area. Actually, that was more of a hypothetical situation in explaining the beautiful space of the car. I am sure we won't let the kids loose there. We are used to driving from Delhi to Jaipur with our kid normally and until 2 years back I had a proper child seat locked in. However, as kids grow - it becomes different and difficult. But once again, your point taken very clearly and seriously and I shall ensure we do no such errors and everyone is buckled in!!

Re. the low GC, you are right in a way. In cities, you may not really have that much of a problem. The GC is around 160 as compared to i20 with 165 and Swift with 170. Until now, haven't had a problem even on steepest speed breakers. I hope that continues.
Old 12th October 2012, 13:36   #15

@ghodlur: I got the tyres changed to Michelin's based on the details and facts I read here on TeamBHP, would have never known otherwise. I am not a techie and do not really know how to give you a review on the XM2's before driving down a few thousand kms at least. Perhaps after that I can check the condition and depth of the treads and in case I have felt any vibrations or any other issue related to the tyres. Maybe I will take some pictures on the first service and it will give us some idea.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks