Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2013, 00:55   #91

re: My Renault Duster 110 BHP RXL. EDIT: 25000 kms, Phase 2 accessories report

Thanks a lot for such an Awesome review, Suchit! Can't appreciate your efforts more!

Btw, have you got any of its major service done (on 10 K KMs around it happens I believe?), what were the charges.

Also, I'm badly confused between Duster, Verna, Vento (all Diesel only as I drive cross 60 Km per day) and my budget is around 10 L (plus side). While duster's interior and apparently lack of testing by Renault discourages me to go for it, I just don't feel like going for a sedan either. I've already sold my existing Swift Diesel and need my next car asap, I'm so confused as its my 9th hour on internet searching for answers to my questions regarding duster.

I ofcourse love very much its looks, but poor quality of interiors and no knowledge (in fact bad reviews about renault across the internet) about after sales depresses me, please help me in taking my decision.

best
sudeepsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:41   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepsingh View Post
Also, I'm badly confused between Duster, Verna, Vento (all Diesel only as I drive cross 60 Km per day) and my budget is around 10 L (plus side). While duster's interior and apparently lack of testing by Renault discourages me to go for it, I just don't feel like going for a sedan either. I've already sold my existing Swift Diesel and need my next car asap, I'm so confused as its my 9th hour on internet searching for answers to my questions regarding duster.
- Would you be handling lots of bad roads?
- Do you need high seating at the cost of interiors?
- Would you be have lots of highway driving?

If the first two is a big concern for you, then you should give Duster a serious thought. If you do lots of highway driving 110 bhp version is what you should look if you need power. But if you are a sedate driver running at max of 90-110 on the highways, 85 is perfect.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:12   #93
BHPian

Hi suchit23,
You had listed some future upgrades.

Phase 2 accessories pending confidence building exercise:
1. ICE Upgrade
2. Remote Locking + Glass up module
3. LED lights

Phase 2 accessories pending availability:
1. Bull bars + Cladding
2. 3D Mats

Have you gone through with any? If yes, please share the cost details and some photographs.
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:58   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for such an Awesome review, Suchit! Can't appreciate your efforts more!
Thank you for the note. Looks like Ampere is already asking you the right questions to help your decision but here are some additional comments:

If you are driving 60Km a day its a lot, so you should attach more priority to the driveability, ride comfort and mileage of the car where Duster definitely scores. Remember that core quality of the car like these cannot be modified where as you can improve the interior comfort by adding any number of accessories. Additionally if you do not like Sedans, Duster is the best option for you. However, if space is not a big requirement you can even wait for the EcoSport. If the majority of the 60Km is in B2B traffic definitely stay away from the 110, take the 85. And if majority of it is in free flowing traffic or highways you can definitely feast on the extra horses of the 110.

I have crossed 12K, I will put up a 10K experience on this thread anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Hi suchit23,
You had listed some future upgrades.

Have you gone through with any? If yes, please share the cost details and some photographs.
Thanks for checking . I am afraid I have not made too much progress on those due to multiple reasons the primary being that another idea has taken more priority. I am trying to engage a car modification agency to make a small sleeping bed in the boot of the Dusty for my little one to sleep peacefully on long journeys. That would mean I will compromise on the boot space and hence I will need a roof luggage carrier also. Anyways here is an inline update as well:

1. ICE Upgrade - Budget constraints!
2. Remote Locking + Glass up module - Plug n Play modules still not available, they have to cut wires which may invalidate warranty.
3. LED lights - Will fix this when I am in the auto shop next time for anything major.

Phase 2 accessories pending availability:
1. Bull bars + Cladding - Slowly I think I am going away from this thought. The proper ones we saw in Brazil models are still not available. Other options available in market are not very appealing.
2. 3D Mats - Still not available in Bangalore!!! If anyone has fitted these in Bangalore please let me know.
suchit23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:03   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
I am trying to engage a car modification agency to make a small sleeping bed in the boot of the Dusty for my little one to sleep peacefully on long journeys. That would mean I will compromise on the boot space and hence I will need a roof luggage carrier also.
Please do share the outcome of this project. Sounds interesting.
Is this company in Bangalore?
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:24   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. 3D Mats - Still not available in Bangalore!!! If anyone has fitted these in Bangalore please let me know.
Check with Renault Whitefield. They have some thing called 4-D Mats. Pretty much like 3D. But half the price of Kagu. They are decent.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:34   #97

[quote=suchit23;3110848]Thank you for the note. Looks like Ampere is already asking you the right questions to help your decision but here are some additional comments:

If you are driving 60Km a day its a lot, so you should attach more priority to the driveability, ride comfort and mileage of the car where Duster definitely scores. Remember that core quality of the car like these cannot be modified where as you can improve the interior comfort by adding any number of accessories. Additionally if you do not like Sedans, Duster is the best option for you. However, if space is not a big requirement you can even wait for the EcoSport. If the majority of the 60Km is in B2B traffic definitely stay away from the 110, take the 85. And if majority of it is in free flowing traffic or highways you can definitely feast on the extra horses of the 110.

I have crossed 12K, I will put up a 10K experience on this thread anytime.

My Message -

Dear Suchit, many thanks for responding so promptly. Here are my notes (I badly need your help on aftersales service and reliability of duster though since I've read so many negative reviews about the same across the internet):

- Yes, I drive past 60 KM per day; half on a very good high way (Greater noida to noida) and half in busy city roads; PLUS I go to my native or places around frequently and also a lot in Delhi's traffic; the roads I face are partially good and partially bumpy or highly jammed (as soon as I got out for weekend ventures).

- What should be the mileage of 85 PS RXL (That is the only model which goes with my budget); anything 16 or above consistently will be okay with me! (I get 17 on an average from my swift diesel and that is absolutely fine with me).

- You are right about the interior, we can always modify that; I'm mroe concerned about the quality of the engine and parts; read on the internet that some guys got their brake wire broken, or clutch wire broken etc. during driving on duster (Is it because duster uses some old technology here) - I've never heard or read such issues with any other cars in the market, it is directly a life scaring issue I believe. What would you kindly comment on this?

- And yes I don't like Sedans much, I always drove my swift carefree, never had to really be sensitive to brakers while driving my swift; but I've driven verna before and a vento of one of my friends, I know I just cant' drive them (I'm myself 90 KG, 6.2 tall, so as my family members, friends ); I can't drive with a fear that my car will be banged from bottom, that's against my basic nature, and that is the reason if not duster I might go and buy another swift (dzire this time) or an sx4! What would you suggest here pls?

- Ecosport - NO, I didn't like its front look at all; am honestly in love with the looks of duster and if I'll be buying that then that would matter 70 % as reasoning behind, rest for driveability ofcourse (I TD a RXL (o) for 50 KMs already and loved driving, except the gear Knock - back!, what is on this earth that gear knock back is btw? does it happen only in demo cars or across duster family, it sucks though!)

- Now- impartially, do you believe duster 85 RXL will be a value for money for someone who is switching from a swift diesel to this, what extra I'll be getting apart from looks, driving comfort when we know that Renault till yet is no match with maruti so far as after sales is concerned?

Secondly - what is the service/ maintenance intervals - first must be a check up, then which one is next - at 10 K KMs? and how much would it charge ideally (Its 6 K INR on an average for a swift after free stuff is over)? That is important for me to know.

Thirdly - I live in Delhi/ NCR so I guess I luckily have more renault dealers in short locations and if one does bad service then other could do better etc, but I keep amazingly busy through out the week (I'm a software entrepreneur running a small company, phew!) and just can't bang my head on customer care for trivial things, having said that I can handle trivial things not being looked at much (door sounds or likes) but can't handle critical issues not being solved promptly (AC problems, light issues, or when I do an accident God forbids or something) so how do you rate renault in those after sales/ critical handling areas?

Finally - I seek best help (I need to get a car booked within this week at any cost since my swift will be leaving me in few days - the deal is already done) now, and would bless all of you by heart for your concerns towards my request, note that 90 % of the reason if I'd not go for a duster will be:
- After sales handling (Reading everywhere that renault guys are unprofessional or unequipped to handle any issues, though I guess its more than an year now they are selling duster so somethings must have been improved).
- Parts reliability - I feel scared hearing that clutch wires or Brake wires got broken during driving! that scares me if I should go with a company by investing my hard earned money and getting a vehicle which is not reliable!
- No ABS/ EBD in RXL Model (only model which I can purchase as my pocket says), no balloons too (though I don't feel much requirements of air bags in an SUV with long bonut)
- Waiting period?
- Unknown service costs (You may help here probably or any other fellow here running duster since long).

And 10 % would be interiors:
I'm okay with wrong placing of knobs etc, they are just trivial and a practice would make a drive used to these things, no big deal.

Remember, most of the time I drive alone (90 % of the time), and hardly use much accessories other than music system, A/C, wipers (lol), handbrake, central locking (duster has soundless?, any remedy for that?), side pockets (put cigarette packet, dusting cloth (or duster!), lighter or match box and thats it!

Deal makers for me till now:
- Looks looks looks
- driveability
- care free driving over bumpy roads, brakers
- Mileage (if 16 or even 15, fine with me).
- Commanding position while driving.

Deal brakers (largely unknown, only scared):
- After sales.
- Critical issue handling, also I doubt if Renault guys are listening to so many complaints over the internet mostly about their dealers, spare parts etc.?
- Safety features (mostly known to me as not good).
- Life threatening glitches of wires breaking etc (Which have scared me the most, and you must have duly learned that as well as I've quoted this multiple times).
- Interior quality (not bothered much if above unknown factors turn out to be good)

Please help! And please promptly - I only have 4 days left to book a vehicle.

Bless you all
sudeepsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:29   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I can answer some of it. Why ? Because I drive the 85 RXL (O)
- You had concerns about engine reliability. That can be put to rest. Now why do I say that? Because its same engine which powers the Logan.
- Ask any cab guy driving the Logan about his Odo reading. It would be easily 2-3L. Its old block, but very reliable
- My FE ranges from 17-19 consistently. In bumper to bumper it comes down to 15-16 with AC. Else its always >16
- Service response in Bangalore has been quite decent for me. I am nearing 13K on the odo
- The car comes with a 4year/80K warranty. Service interval 10K or 1 year.
- At least no issues with me on brakes. Had minor issue with clutch, but that I would brush it off as a one-off incident.
- Even I asked my SA about the gear knock. He said its normal. So I have just gotten used to it.
- No doubt the prices have gone up. But I think it should make a good upgrade to your Swift.
- Interiors can be spruced up with leather if you need.
- OE speakers are bad. But HU is pretty decent. Change to a good component speaker set for the front and you are done.
- I see you mention your budget allows RXL 85. But if you can manage, RXL(O) would be an ideal option.
- Driving the 85 in traffic is a breeze. And the clutch is very light compared to the 6 gear / 110 bhp version.
- But be assured that it does not have the punch of the 110. To quote mod Viddy, "the drivability of this car hides the under-powered part very nicely".
- The instant you hit open roads, you would immediately know its lack of power.
- If you are sedate driver who prefers cruising on the highway at 90-100, you would be better off with this model.
- Suchit has already mentioned brilliantly about the car's other aspects in his report.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd May 2013 at 14:41.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:56   #99
BHPian

Please see inline comments in bold text.

Quote:

Dear Suchit, many thanks for responding so promptly. Here are my notes (I badly need your help on aftersales service and reliability of duster though since I've read so many negative reviews about the same across the internet):

- Yes, I drive past 60 KM per day; half on a very good high way (Greater noida to noida) and half in busy city roads; PLUS I go to my native or places around frequently and also a lot in Delhi's traffic; the roads I face are partially good and partially bumpy or highly jammed (as soon as I got out for weekend ventures).

Based on this data itself I would recommend the 110 because I feel those extra horses do come in very handy in the highway! But the later data like budget and mileage will go for 85, which I would say is not all that bad after all.

- What should be the mileage of 85 PS RXL (That is the only model which goes with my budget); anything 16 or above consistently will be okay with me! (I get 17 on an average from my swift diesel and that is absolutely fine with me).

People have reported consistently that 85 gives around 15-16 in B2B traffic and 18-19 in highways. I have no reason to suspect that because my 110 gives me 12-13 in city and 15-16 in highways. I would say you can check the mileage checkbox for Duster without any doubt.

- You are right about the interior, we can always modify that; I'm mroe concerned about the quality of the engine and parts; read on the internet that some guys got their brake wire broken, or clutch wire broken etc. during driving on duster (Is it because duster uses some old technology here) - I've never heard or read such issues with any other cars in the market, it is directly a life scaring issue I believe. What would you kindly comment on this?

Where did you read such serious things? If its anywhere other than TBHP dont trust it entirely, there are 100s of bogus forums where all kind of people type all kinds of junk. If you refer those forums for perfectly reliable cars like a Maruti you will see they have reported similar things. From my experience of 12K run, not even a single mechanical issue has happened yet. Only once my right fog lamp fused which was replaced promptly which indicated parts availability. I never lost confidence on the car at any time and trust me I have gone on long trips, the recent one being a trip to Munnar (where official reviews of Duster took place) which was a round trip of 1300 kms!

- And yes I don't like Sedans much, I always drove my swift carefree, never had to really be sensitive to brakers while driving my swift; but I've driven verna before and a vento of one of my friends, I know I just cant' drive them (I'm myself 90 KG, 6.2 tall, so as my family members, friends ); I can't drive with a fear that my car will be banged from bottom, that's against my basic nature, and that is the reason if not duster I might go and buy another swift (dzire this time) or an sx4! What would you suggest here pls?

You are lucky you dont drive in Bangalore otherwise you would have quit driving . But in a Duster there is no fear of bottom scraping, I have stopped bothering about the road after buying a Duster, its just the traffic which I have to worry about.

- Ecosport - NO, I didn't like its front look at all; am honestly in love with the looks of duster and if I'll be buying that then that would matter 70 % as reasoning behind, rest for driveability ofcourse (I TD a RXL (o) for 50 KMs already and loved driving, except the gear Knock - back!, what is on this earth that gear knock back is btw? does it happen only in demo cars or across duster family, it sucks though!)

I have said this before, Duster is a heart car and looks like your heart likes it, dont restrain it

- Now- impartially, do you believe duster 85 RXL will be a value for money for someone who is switching from a swift diesel to this, what extra I'll be getting apart from looks, driving comfort when we know that Renault till yet is no match with maruti so far as after sales is concerned?

I would definitely say so, Ampere or others having 85 can tell you more. I can remind you that Duster comes with 4 years or 80K warranty. By then chances are you will be looking for a new car!

Secondly - what is the service/ maintenance intervals - first must be a check up, then which one is next - at 10 K KMs? and how much would it charge ideally (Its 6 K INR on an average for a swift after free stuff is over)? That is important for me to know.

First service is at 2K which is actually not a mechanical service. They just inspect everything, give the car a bath and coat the engine with that protective thing. Total cost is Rs 501. Next is at 10K which I recently did and surprisingly the cost was very affordable, I had gone in with expectation of 7-8K but it was around 4K which included engine oil worth 1.6K !! Next service is at 20K, so the interval from now on is every 10K or 1 year.

Thirdly - I live in Delhi/ NCR so I guess I luckily have more renault dealers in short locations and if one does bad service then other could do better etc, but I keep amazingly busy through out the week (I'm a software entrepreneur running a small company, phew!) and just can't bang my head on customer care for trivial things, having said that I can handle trivial things not being looked at much (door sounds or likes) but can't handle critical issues not being solved promptly (AC problems, light issues, or when I do an accident God forbids or something) so how do you rate renault in those after sales/ critical handling areas?

Well, time has become valuable for everyone with increasing traffic and customers getting more demanding. So for me also, time comes at a high premium and I havent had any issues at least until now except for the services and one time when I had to change the fog lamp. Btw, my AC had become ineffective just before 2nd service but a standard clean up of filters solved the issue perfectly in 2nd service.

Finally - I seek best help (I need to get a car booked within this week at any cost since my swift will be leaving me in few days - the deal is already done) now, and would bless all of you by heart for your concerns towards my request, note that 90 % of the reason if I'd not go for a duster will be:
- After sales handling (Reading everywhere that renault guys are unprofessional or unequipped to handle any issues, though I guess its more than an year now they are selling duster so somethings must have been improved).
- Parts reliability - I feel scared hearing that clutch wires or Brake wires got broken during driving! that scares me if I should go with a company by investing my hard earned money and getting a vehicle which is not reliable!
- No ABS/ EBD in RXL Model (only model which I can purchase as my pocket says), no balloons too (though I don't feel much requirements of air bags in an SUV with long bonut)
- Waiting period?
- Unknown service costs (You may help here probably or any other fellow here running duster since long).

Waiting period is now very less but you have to check with Delhi dealers, one tip is if you take the RXZ variant it would be least waiting period. No other unknown service costs as far as I know. Also I would like to add, at least in Bangalore, the service experience has been top notch for me, in fact it has been better than what I used to get for my i10 in renowned Hyundai service centers. The facility is good, they offer you tea/coffee, behavior is very professional, they explain everything, the workmanship has not been bad though I have not reported major issues but for the AC issue they did do a great job in cleaning up the vents and filters. They offer pick up drop options, what more can we expect?

And 10 % would be interiors:
I'm okay with wrong placing of knobs etc, they are just trivial and a practice would make a drive used to these things, no big deal.

Remember, most of the time I drive alone (90 % of the time), and hardly use much accessories other than music system, A/C, wipers (lol), handbrake, central locking (duster has soundless?, any remedy for that?), side pockets (put cigarette packet, dusting cloth (or duster!), lighter or match box and thats it!

In this case even the 85 is fine for highways I would say!

Deal makers for me till now:
- Looks looks looks
- driveability
- care free driving over bumpy roads, brakers
- Mileage (if 16 or even 15, fine with me).
- Commanding position while driving.

Deal brakers (largely unknown, only scared):
- After sales.
- Critical issue handling, also I doubt if Renault guys are listening to so many complaints over the internet mostly about their dealers, spare parts etc.?
- Safety features (mostly known to me as not good).
- Life threatening glitches of wires breaking etc (Which have scared me the most, and you must have duly learned that as well as I've quoted this multiple times).
- Interior quality (not bothered much if above unknown factors turn out to be good)

In summary with the data I have I dont think I will hesitate to recommend the Duster 85 for you. Let us know what you decided eventually.
Bless you all
suchit23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 15:21   #100

Quote:
Please see inline comments in bold text.
You are a life saver, Suchit! Thanks a ton for promptly answering my questions, God bless.

I guess I'm not much scared now, and would take the chance of going by with RXL. A single man anyways don't need much accessories, and I think I can handle braking with ABS (I'm doing this on my current swift without abs, drove verna 14 K KMs first model without ABS etc.), I hardly drive cross 100 and put sudden brakes, so I guess without ABS would work fine, opinion?

(I know that previous heavy safaris never had any ABS and they worked perfectly fine).

Rest is in God hands ofcourse.

Hope to get a duster soon, if I don't get fickle again (I do fickle a lot when it comes to cars, home, big purchase but good part is that as soon as I've taken a decision it becomes firm that I even become an endorser for that - take example of iPhone/ iPads I bought, I always said against them in the beginning but then when I purchased them and using, I'm kind of their official advertiser )

I love white duster btw!
Old 2nd May 2013, 17:50   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I can answer some of it. Why ? Because I drive the 85 RXL (O)

- If you are sedate driver who prefers cruising on the highway at 90-100, you would be better off with this model.

Many thanks Ampere, I appreciate all your help. I'm a sedate driver, swift does so good for me so far as driving is concerned and never let me down while overtaking whenever required; I hope duster won't let me down either; 85 PS is not less anyways.
Old 2nd May 2013, 19:59   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Many thanks Ampere, I appreciate all your help. I'm a sedate driver, swift does so good for me so far as driving is concerned and never let me down while overtaking whenever required; I hope duster won't let me down either; 85 PS is not less anyways.
Even I drive very sedate. The problem arises when you are in stretches like express-ways or long open 4-lane roads. When you try to increase the speed, you realise the strain of the engine and the fact that now you are crawling away from its sweet spot. I am perfectly fine with sedate speeds and I am very used to seeing all vehicles fly past me on the 4-lanes ! I just let every one go past me and enjoy my cruise!
Old 6th May 2013, 12:40   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Even I drive very sedate. The problem arises when you are in stretches like express-ways or long open 4-lane roads. When you try to increase the speed, you realise the strain of the engine and the fact that now you are crawling away from its sweet spot. I am perfectly fine with sedate speeds and I am very used to seeing all vehicles fly past me on the 4-lanes ! I just let every one go past me and enjoy my cruise!
@Ampere - yeah, it is just like enjoying your best meal with all patience.

@suchit and @Ampere and all worthy TBP members in this thread - a news to share with you that I've got duster RXL booked yesterday from Sprint Motors, MG Road Gurgaon. The waiting time has been told as 1 to 3 weeks.

I've given them color preference as white, though am doubtful now if I should go for a silver instead; don't like dark ones personally FYI (subjective so apologies if it doesn't match with your choices).

The silver one in duster looks pretty elegant (like fortuner); any suggestions or Pros/cons of white - One I heard that in white it looks almost like a swift hatchback from behind etc, let your views follow.

Take care and I hope all have started great on their Mondays.
Old 6th May 2013, 13:14   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The silver one in duster looks pretty elegant (like fortuner); any suggestions or Pros/cons of white - One I heard that in white it looks almost like a swift hatchback from behind etc, let your views follow.
Due the way the wheels show up a clip out of the arches, they throw up a lot of mud. So be prepared for a "dirty Duster" ! With white it would show up even more.
Old 6th May 2013, 14:03   #105

@ Ampere - Thanks for the advice, I think am going for the silver.

Thanks for all suggestions from yours and Suchit's side till date, it has been a great exp. with you guys at TBP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks