Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2015, 14:04   #151
BHPian

re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!

Dear fordfreak,

Good luck with the repairs; just wish that these guys take better care of cars (specially expensive ones like the Passat). The condition of the car looks in the photos.
Old 13th July 2015, 17:13   #152
BHPian

re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!

Update:-

So finally the car is nearly ready!

I visited the service center this morning to take a test drive with the service in-charge.

I arrived at 11:15 am and walked to the display floor where my car was being cleaned, (This used to be a showroom + service center earlier, but now the facility only serves as a service center).

Straightaway, I noticed that the things that were not in order with my car. The front fog lamps had steamed up and had a little water accumulated inside. The front bumper had picked up scrapes while in the custody of the dealership. There were some fine scratches on the bonnet that were clearly visible. The rear ashtray and the cup holder's (on the center console) rubber mat were missing from the car.

I pointed out these issues to the adviser and in-charge, both who were present. Though they tried to pass some off the issues as being old, I clearly told them that these need to be sorted out before I take delivery. They have agreed to look into the matter, so let's see how this goes.

On a more positive note, it felt really good to drive my car after so long. Hats off to the dealer for fixing it so well. The car drove as good as it used to and there were zero creaks and rattles. The panels have been lined up almost to factory condition and the paint has been perfectly matched. Since they hadn't finished cleaning the car, the interiors were still dirty and the body very dusty.

Apart from this, they still need to fix a couple of parts. The rear-number plate lights and the '2.0' boot badge still haven't arrived in stock. The rear sunshade cover also needs to be replaced. All these parts should arrive in the next 7 - 8 days. The service in-charge has requested me to send the car back to have these jobs finished once the parts arrive.

The experience of having my car off the road for so long was obviously not fun. However, I am happy to see the top-notch job they have done to put the car in order. It was very frustrating waiting for the parts to arrive, but I won't complain as long as everything works as it should.

Now I just have to wait for the insurance chaps to finish off the paper-work so I can have my car back. Will post an update with pictures once I get the car home (hopefully on Wednesday).
fordfreak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 12:05   #153
BHPian

So finally got the car back on Saturday!

The car has been superbly repaired I must say. The panels have been aligned perfectly, the paint has been matched really well and the rear end looks brand new. The boot and rear doors close without any squeaks or groans. The car was given back in a spotless condition as well. They also repainted the bonnet and front bumper which got damaged in their custody.

The delivery process was smooth as well. I reached the workshop and inspected the car. There were a couple of areas where the excess paint had dripped, so the service in-charge got the body shop guy to fix it. They have forgotten to attach the rear mud flaps, so need to get this done soon. I also did not spot this error while taking delivery.

The total bill came to Rs 5.97 Lacs out of which I had to pay Rs 22,000. Thank god for bumper to bumper cover!

However, there seems to be some new rattling noise from the engine. The car drives normally. The issue only occurs when the car is idling. There is a distinct noise coming from the engine bay and a very slight vibration which can be felt only if you are sitting in the car. Diesel engines are noisier in general, but I can tell there is a difference in the tone when the car is idling.

I have been advised by the dealer to drive the car for a week and see if it improves. I have been assured that they will take care of it incase it doesn't go away. I just hope I don't have to leave my car in the garage again!

Driven around 50 - 60 kms since delivery, and thankfully it drives exactly as it used to. It felt so good to drive it after nearly 3 months! It is an indescribable feeling.

Please excuse the poor quality pictures. I clicked these at the dealership itself.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-img_0358.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-img_0355.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-img_0356.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-img_0357.jpg  

fordfreak is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 18:46   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
So finally got the car back on Saturday!
Congrats, the car looks spanking new from those shots. The dealer deserves a pat on their back for the superb job done!
Quote:
It felt so good to drive it after nearly 3 months! It is an indescribable feeling.
I know how it feels, my friend. Wishing you happy mile munching in your Passat!
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 19:05   #155
vdm
BHPian

Congrats on getting your car back in pristine condition after the horrible accident.
Hope the rattling problem with the engine would get sorted out on its own & wish you don't have to visit the workshop again.
The total bill of Rd.5.97seems to be really high :banghead: good you were covered by bumper to bumber policy. Still I fail to understand why were you charged Rs.22000? You should have been charged only the compulsory deductions & nothing else.
On another note hope your car drives as it use to and enjoy many more miles on it.
Old 20th July 2015, 23:29   #156
Senior - BHPian

Hello, Great to see your car back in shape, The car looks like new! They pulled it off really neatly. Can you please let us know the details about the 22000 rs that you had to pay, Also a few interior pics would be nice to see. Enjoy the beast!
Old 21st July 2015, 08:31   #157
BHPian

Good to learn that you are happy getting the car back in the condition that you expected. My heart sank after seeing those pictures you posted of the car in the workshop.

Enjoy many event free miles in your Passat
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:00   #158
BHPian

Congrats on getting the car back. Looks great. Wishing many more miles with the car. Good job by the dealer I must say.
baskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 16:10   #159
BHPian

Thank you all for the wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm View Post
Still I fail to understand why were you charged Rs.22000?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Can you please let us know the details about the 22000 rs that you had to pay
I spoke to the Insurance company and have been told that the amount charged was for items not covered under insurance such as sealants, bolts, etc.

The car has been driving beautifully, but the engine rattle still persists. Apart from that, the left rear door has developed a slight rattle when the car is on the move. The service in-charge has been very helpful and has agreed to take the car back to have both these issues sorted out. It is probably something that has come loose.

Apart from the poor parts supply issue of VW, I must say the overall experience with dealing with the service center seems to be getting better. All through the time my car was in the garage, I was kept informed about the status of the parts and all other things (good & bad) going on with regards to my car.

On the positive side, I have covered around 250 kms since getting the car back and have enjoyed every moment. The reading on the ODO stands at around 29,100. The car will be due for it's 3rd service in December. But the fuel economy is as good as before, smooth power delivery, efficient AC, etc. I haven't clicked any pictures for now since the car has been looking very dirty thanks to the daily showers we have been getting in Kolkata. But when the car is cleaned up in the morning, no one can make out that it had been involved in a bad accident! More updates later..
fordfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 15:29   #160
BHPian

So after covering around 650 KMs since the major repair, the car is back in the garage. The engine rattle refused to go away and the car started feeling very sluggish while trying to move from a standstill.

The car has been in the garage since the last 10 days or so and is stuck there due to the part not being available. Volkswagen's parts supply is just awful. They never seem to have any part in stock!

The problem was diagnosed as the flywheel. I haven't been given all the details yet, but I am not having to pay a dime since this is covered under extended warranty. I will share more details as they become available.

I have been told that the part has arrived today, and they are trying to give my car back by Wednesday/Thursday. I wonder how many days will I get to use my car before sending it back to the garage.

On the bright side, the dealer has given me a Vento Highline as a loaner. I guess they had to considering my car has spent around 15-20 days in my custody in the last 4 months!
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-img_0810.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-img_0809.jpg  

Old 25th August 2015, 09:50   #161
BHPian

Quote:
So after covering around 650 KMs since the major repair, the car is back in the garage. The engine rattle refused to go away and the car started feeling very sluggish while trying to move from a standstill.

The car has been in the garage since the last 10 days or so and is stuck there due to the part not being available. Volkswagen's parts supply is just awful. They never seem to have any part in stock!

The problem was diagnosed as the flywheel. I haven't been given all the details yet, but I am not having to pay a dime since this is covered under extended warranty. I will share more details as they become available.

I have been told that the part has arrived today, and they are trying to give my car back by Wednesday/Thursday. I wonder how many days will I get to use my car before sending it back to the garage.

On the bright side, the dealer has given me a Vento Highline as a loaner. I guess they had to considering my car has spent around 15-20 days in my custody in the last 4 months!
Strange to hear that the problem with a sluggish engine is attributed to the flywheel. IMHO, the main reasons for a sluggish engine is the fuel system and on a more serious level, piston rings.
Old 5th September 2015, 12:48   #162
BHPian

Finally got my car back last week and have driven around 200 kms since then without any issues. I had complained about a rattling engine and the car feeling sluggish. Though the car drives perfectly, a visit to a Volkswagen workshop cannot be trouble free. Read on.

I had instructed my driver to go collect the car only after checking it inside-out. He called me a while after reaching the workshop to tell me that there was some new damage to the lower front-right part of the front bumper. Since the workshop had scratched up my bumper when they had the car for over 2 months, I had gotten them to paint it at their cost. So it was a freshly painted bumper with no damage.

I asked the service adviser to send me a picture of the damage on WhatsApp so that I could understand if it was something old or new. What I saw was clearly something that would not have gone unnoticed had it been there. I like to keep my cars as scratch-free as possible and wouldn't allow something so visible to remain on my car.

Anyway, the service adviser told me that the damage was already there when they took the car. He also showed me the paper on which they mark any damage while accepting the car into their workshop. Now the rule is that the workshop staff are supposed to make this paper in front of the person handing over the vehicle and explain it to them. Neither of this was done here. They made my driver sit in the lounge while they took the car inside and then just handed him the paper in an envelope without saying anything further. What happened inside, nobody knows.

Thereafter, I spoke to a senior person there (some Mr.Tushar), who heard me out and said that they will have to review CCTV footage, discuss with seniors, etc. He said he would drop me an email on Monday (31st August) regarding their findings/decision. I agreed to take my car back since we would speak later to sort out the issue. Surprise! I still haven't gotten any email, nor any phone call. I had told him I will be available Wednesday onwards since I was out of the country on Monday and Tuesday (31st & 1st).

Now I am sure most of us on this forum can tell if a scratch is fresh or old. The edges on gashes on the bumper were still sharp. Old scrapes/gashes generally tend to become smoother out over time. After inspecting the damage physically, I am more than convinced that this occurred at the workshop.

This has ended up being a situation of his word against mine. Since neither side has any concrete proof, I doubt anything can be done here.

Anyway, I have given up hope on these chaps. Neither do I have the time to chase them around every time. Decided to just bite the bullet and get this sorted out at my own expense. Going to get the damage repaired sometime after the 10th of September at a trusted workshop that I use for any bodywork related repairs. I just cannot be bothered to deal with such rubbish every time, whatever it costs.

I am 99% sure that this is going to be the first and last Volkswagen I am ever going to buy.

(Just as a comparison, my old Corolla was also at the workshop for around 10 days to sort out a fuel leak. Though the part took time to arrive, I was kept informed throughout the process. I told them that I wanted my car as clean as I had given it to them. They returned it a lot cleaner!!! Overall, they did an absolute stellar job! Have had 2 follow-up calls asking if the car is working fine now. All this for an 11 year old car. )

On another note, I am very happy with the way my Passat is now driving. The fuel economy also seems to have come back to a normal 11 km/l. Verdict: Volkswagen cars are brilliant, their service leaves a lot to be desired.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-fullsizerender.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-img_1066.jpg  

fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 18:04   #163
BHPian

Sad to see issue after issue. I am glad that you have your car back at least.

I noticed that your fog lamps are all fogged up. Why is that?

They are fairly easy to remove and fix, the connectors at the back might be lose and letting moisture in. I replaced my DRL bulbs with LEDs so I know how to remove them.
Get in touch if you don't want VW to touch your car.

Happy miles
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 12:00   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Sad to see issue after issue. I am glad that you have your car back at least.

I noticed that your fog lamps are all fogged up. Why is that?

They are fairly easy to remove and fix, the connectors at the back might be lose and letting moisture in. I replaced my DRL bulbs with LEDs so I know how to remove them.
Get in touch if you don't want VW to touch your car.

Happy miles
Yes, it is good to have the car back. Been running it quite a lot this entire week.

The head lamps and fog lamps had misted up a while ago after the car had been driven through a flooded road. Didn't have any alternate route to take, so had to drive through it cautiously. The water turned out to be quite deep, but the car made it through without any trouble. The water level was up till the middle of the front number plate.

The moisture from the head lamps have totally dried up, but I haven't been able to solve the issue with the fog lamps. Could you please guide me on the process you followed? I will see if I can carry it out on my own. If not, I will have the body shop do it when I send the car in later this month.

The fourth service is still some time away in December. I hope I won't be visiting the VW workshop anytime before that!
Old 8th September 2015, 15:49   #165
BHPian

Quote:
The fourth service is still some time away in December. I hope I won't be visiting the VW workshop anytime before that!
Great!

I referred to this
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...r-r-77350.html

I used those plastic trim tools to pry open the casing post removing the single screw.
Please let me know if you need more info.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks