Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:46   #286
BHPian

re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Hi Prashant,

The part code for the flywheel is '03L105266DF' as per my invoice. The cost is Rs. 56,203.99, including taxes. I will check if any brand is mentioned on the old flywheel and get back to you (unless my driver has already gotten rid of it).

Cheers!
Thanks a ton Sir,

What about the labour charges?

And when we say flywheel, it only means ONLY flywheel and not the clutch assembly right?

Sorry i am troubling you a lot but these small things will help me decide the next action to be taken.

Thanks you once again
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:54   #287
BHPian

re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
Thanks a ton Sir,

What about the labour charges?

And when we say flywheel, it only means ONLY flywheel and not the clutch assembly right?

Sorry i am troubling you a lot but these small things will help me decide the next action to be taken.

Thanks you once again
No trouble at all my friend!

ONLY the flywheel was replaced and NOT the clutch. Labour charges for the flywheel were around Rs. 531, but the removing + reinstalling of the gearbox was around Rs. 7900.

Hope this helps.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 17:20   #288
BHPian

The final good-bye:-

So after 6.5 years of ownership, my beast has moved on to a new family. Handed her over to the new owner last evening with 51,646 KMs on the ODO.

It has been one hell of a journey! I still remember how excited I was as a 21 year old when we first got the car home. Even though I personally drove the Passat less over the last year or so, I enjoyed it immensely when I did. The feel / performance of the car does not seem to have changed even though the car is now over six years old. Looking back, the headaches with the service center were the only sour moments of my ownership. One drive in the Passat made me forget all those headaches.

The Passat for me, was the best all-round car in the segment as it ticked all the points I looked for - Understated looks, loaded with features, tons of space, good performance, comfortable ride. The only thing lacking was the VW badge's snob appeal, which didn't really bother me.

I got a lot of interest for the car from the various classifieds that I put it up on. But the crowd was mixed with serious people, low-ballers, non-responsive folks, etc. Finally did the deal with a buyer through OLX. Selling the car took surprising long because of a couple of unlucky things happening during the process.

I had finalized a deal with a local buyer (a car freak and T-Bhp follower), but he ended up getting transferred to the US. Hence, the deal fell through.

Next, I finalized a deal with a gentleman from Bangalore. He came to see the car in my absence and loved it. Agreed on the price, etc., but then he ran into some issues with funding which would take about 3 weeks to clear. He gave me permission to look for another buyer (though I was alright with waiting too) if I found one in that time period.

Third time lucky! I found a local buyer who loved the car and agreed to buy it immediately. He took about a week or so to sell off his own car and arrange the payment to pick up my car. All the paperwork, payment, etc., got completed yesterday and I finally handed the keys over to him with a very heavy heart.

I drove her to my office last evening to hand the car over to the buyer and spent the entire drive lost thinking about all the memories associated with my Passat. Despite all the ups and downs throughout my ownership, the Passat will always hold a very special place in my heart.

This morning, I had completely forgotten that the car had gone and I ened up asking my driver where the Passat was when I saw it's empty spot in the garage.

Adding a few pictures that I had clicked before the car got sold.

Good-bye my friend, you will be missed.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-img_9852.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-img_9859.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-img_9857.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-img_9856.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-img_9858.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-img_9991.jpg  

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-img_9992.jpg  

fordfreak is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:01   #289
BHPian

Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!

Lovely car, I'm still hanging onto mine

I can understand exactly how you felt when letting go of her. Have felt the same way when I let go each one of my cars, last one was a 15 yr old Mitsubishi Lancer
Old 3rd July 2018, 15:30   #290
BHPian

Re: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!

Looks still good. Benefited from your inputs on your car.

I am hanging on to mine for some more time. The spacious car with good power and good FE, built like a vault. These are good things about Passat.

Any replacements planned?
Old 9th July 2018, 10:51   #291
BHPian

Thank you so much fordfreak to keep us all updating about the development of your Passat. It takes a lot of time and effort to mention everything in such detail.

Would anyone be able to help me with DSG AT filter and oil product code please. Anytime in your Passats life cycle if you have changed the oil and filter of the DSG AT gearbox at authorised dealer you shall have it in your invoice.

Last edited by ajmat : 9th July 2018 at 13:59.
Old 9th July 2018, 16:20   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Would anyone be able to help me with DSG AT filter and oil product code please. Anytime in your Passats life cycle if you have changed the oil and filter of the DSG AT gearbox at authorised dealer you shall have it in your invoice.
This is for a Jetta DSG. Items highlighted in Yellow are specifically for Transmission oil change.

2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home! EDIT: Now sold!-picture1.png
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 13:43   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Lovely car, I'm still hanging onto mine

I can understand exactly how you felt when letting go of her. Have felt the same way when I let go each one of my cars, last one was a 15 yr old Mitsubishi Lancer
I miss the Passat a lot already! Had a lot of fond memories associated with the car. Time to make more memories with the new one now. I'm just glad it's gone to someone who is also a car lover and should maintain her the way I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
Looks still good. Benefited from your inputs on your car.

I am hanging on to mine for some more time. The spacious car with good power and good FE, built like a vault. These are good things about Passat.

Any replacements planned?
Thank you! Glad if my thread was helpful in any way. I miss the Passat a lot. As for the replacement, I've booked a Corolla Altis 1.8 GL. Delivery is scheduled for the 19th of this month.

Quote:
Thank you so much fordfreak to keep us all updating about the development of your Passat. It takes a lot of time and effort to mention everything in such detail.
Glad if I could be of any help at all.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st August 2018 at 10:33. Reason: Smileys. :)
Old 1st August 2018, 07:05   #294
BHPian

I just came across a 2012 Passat done over 1L kms (around 1.2L kms). It has some issues with AC and a good service is needed. I am getting it for a damn dirt cheap price (like seriously low) but I am wondering if it is worth going through the hassle?

It would be our primary family car and sole car in the garage. And it would clock 25-30k kms per year.

Should I leap at it or let it go? The thought of the comfort of the passat is something I am not able to forget although the mind and the pocket speaks otherwise. Please help!
Old 1st August 2018, 12:02   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlide View Post
I just came across a 2012 Passat done over 1L kms (around 1.2L kms). It has some issues with AC and a good service is needed. I am getting it for a damn dirt cheap price (like seriously low) but I am wondering if it is worth going through the hassle?

It would be our primary family car and sole car in the garage. And it would clock 25-30k kms per year.

Should I leap at it or let it go? The thought of the comfort of the passat is something I am not able to forget although the mind and the pocket speaks otherwise. Please help!
Hey RoadGlide,

I would suggest you let this car go.

Firstly, the car has a reasonably high ODO reading. This wouldn't have bothered me too much if the car was in perfect running condition. But that isn't the case here.

Secondly, you say that the car needs a good service (plus AC issues). i.e. - for all you know, it may need a LOT more than a good service if it isn't running right. Spares for the Passat are NOT cheap. So if you need to service the car, fix the AC, plus other issues; then you may be end up spending way more on top of the purchase price of the car.

Thirdly, if an offer is very low, there may be numerous hidden issues that you may not have been made aware of. Dig deeper about the car's service history. Has it been well maintained through it's lift by the previous owner? Accident history, service logs, etc., etc. The Passat is a complex car and there is a lot that can go wrong with it (age + wear & tear). If the car hasn't been looked after by the previous owner, then you will be the one getting headaches trying to fix any issue that crops up.

If this is going to be your primary vehicle and with an annual running of 25-30K per year, get something known for better reliability (Toyota?) and in better shape. You do not want to get stuck with something that keeps throwing up issues and leaving you immobile.

IMHO - Run away from this one!
fordfreak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 18:34   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Hey RoadGlide,

I would suggest you let this car go.

Firstly, the car has a reasonably high ODO reading. This wouldn't have bothered me too much if the car was in perfect running condition. But that isn't the case here.

Secondly, you say that the car needs a good service (plus AC issues). i.e. - for all you know, it may need a LOT more than a good service if it isn't running right. Spares for the Passat are NOT cheap. So if you need to service the car, fix the AC, plus other issues; then you may be end up spending way more on top of the purchase price of the car.

Thirdly, if an offer is very low, there may be numerous hidden issues that you may not have been made aware of. Dig deeper about the car's service history. Has it been well maintained through it's lift by the previous owner? Accident history, service logs, etc., etc. The Passat is a complex car and there is a lot that can go wrong with it (age + wear & tear). If the car hasn't been looked after by the previous owner, then you will be the one getting headaches trying to fix any issue that crops up.

If this is going to be your primary vehicle and with an annual running of 25-30K per year, get something known for better reliability (Toyota?) and in better shape. You do not want to get stuck with something that keeps throwing up issues and leaving you immobile.

IMHO - Run away from this one!
Thank you very much for the headsup. Just the kind of words I needed to let my heart also be convinced that there is something better around the horizon. Will keep searching. I am basically searching for Lauras and Jettas (maybe Cruzes too) and just came across this low balling Passat hence thought to check. Thanks for the guidance!
RoadGlide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 17:58   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post

You just need to take a good look around and find a reliable FNG.

Which FNG IN noida or Delhi is good for service and maintenance of Passat?
Old 10th January 2019, 16:12   #298
BHPian

Quote:
The final good-bye:-

So after 6.5 years of ownership, my beast has moved on to a new family. Handed her over to the new owner last evening with 51,646 KMs on the ODO.
Hi @fordfreak,

Would you mind sharing the resale price for this car? I am trying to assess actual resale values as the Orange Book Value(OBV) prices seem a bit optimistic/underwhelming depending on whether you are the buyer/seller.

Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 16:30   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
Hi @fordfreak,

Would you mind sharing the resale price for this car? I am trying to assess actual resale values as the Orange Book Value(OBV) prices seem a bit optimistic/underwhelming depending on whether you are the buyer/seller.

Thanks
Sent you a private message. Please check. Thanks!
Old 2nd February 2019, 14:44   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Sent you a private message. Please check. Thanks!
I have the same question as I am looking for TDI DSG Jetta/Passat in Bangalore and not able to judge what's a good number. Could you please let me know as well? Appreciate it!

Most Viewed