Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2012, 15:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur

Wow ! Fantastic report with the attention to detail. Was the there an option to select eht interior color on the W6 ? I mean beige instead of black and plum.

Offtopic: Stool is fine, what if it gets displaced or moves out of position ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 15:41   #17
BHPian

Good going Debuda. good insightful info on the car and pictures are great and helpful.

You are lucky you could choose your RM! she is indeed beautiful! another motivation to take your car to the service centre for regular checkups!

I too have been given a lady RM whom I am yet too meet in person! hope she is as good and helpful.

The Bridgestone Duellers are a bit better on broken roads and potholes. I noticed the difference when I took the test drive cars with JK's and Bridgestone's on a particular stretch and now when I also drive my car with Bridgestone's on the same stretch, I find the Bridgestone's performing better. even the mahindra guy at the stockyard who does the PDI's told me that the Bridgestone's are better suited for this car.

and lastly... enjoy your trip!
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 15:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda

Scopriobharath -- In case you haven't observed, Indian women have come a long way over the past half century. Yesterday, when I took the car to the Service Centre for a check-up, my RM herself told me never to hesitate to call her any time, even in the middle of the night, if my XUV had a problem on the road. She insisted on always being the first to know my problem and requested me to call her even before calling M&M Roadside Assistance.

Now you know why I chose the lady RM!

Utopian -- Thanks. I live in Sonari West Layout. You won't see my silver XUV for the next 3 weeks in Jampot as I'm off to Delhi tomorrow.
+1 to that. I personally feel women are more sincere and honest towards their job.

Wish you a happy diwali journey. Would like to see the trip covered in travelogue section too.

I liked your attitude! Anti corruption stance, eye for details and respect for women. Great going!
TaureanBull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 22:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Was the there an option to select the interior color on the W6 ? I mean beige instead of black and plum.
There was no option to select the colour combination. It seems that M&M designers decided to provide darker coloured interiors to brighter coloured (exterior) cars and vice versa.

I think I'm just plain lucky to get dark interiors because they are so much easier to maintain. I'd like to mention in this connection that I'm never in a hurry to unnecessarily install seat covers in my cars because the factory fitted seats are usually pretty good and I'd think of putting seat covers only when the original seats start looking frayed.

The only thing I'm in a great hurry to do is to remove the protective plastic covers from the seats and elsewhere. I always ask the dealer to remove the plastic on the day of delivery. I wonder why some people keep the plastic on for weeks and finally install seat covers -- they never get to enjoy the original upholstery!

Some XUV owners have reported that their beige interiors cause irritating (for the driver) reflections on the front windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
+1 to that. I personally feel women are more sincere and honest towards their job.

Wish you a happy diwali journey. Would like to see the trip covered in travelogue section too.

I liked your attitude! Anti corruption stance, eye for details and respect for women. Great going!
Thanks a ton. Being a newcomer to TBHP, I'd like get some advice regarding posting my travelogues separately in the travelogue section vis-a-vis posting everything (user reviews, niggles, XUV-centric travelogues, etc.) in one single comprehensive thread. Personally, I'd prefer the latter.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 02:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I think I'm just plain lucky to get dark interiors because they are so much easier to maintain. I'd like to mention in this connection that I'm never in a hurry to unnecessarily install seat covers in my cars because the factory fitted seats are usually pretty good and I'd think of putting seat covers only when the original seats start looking frayed.

The only thing I'm in a great hurry to do is to remove the protective plastic covers from the seats and elsewhere. I always ask the dealer to remove the plastic on the day of delivery. I wonder why some people keep the plastic on for weeks and finally install seat covers -- they never get to enjoy the original upholstery!
+1 to that thought! I too usually never liked the idea of installing the seat covers on brand new cars! I mean comon... enjoy what you have paid for first! then when it gets all dull and worn out, get the seat covers for that fresh feel. and believe me, the original seat covers are usually of very good material and last really long. my santro seat covers are still doing good even though the seat cushion has gone a bit flat at some areas and its almost time to sell the car in some time now as its crossed 10 years!

and also about the plastics, its the indian mentality I guess, to wrap everything expensive in plastics and covers till it is possible be it mobiles or car seats!
I remember about an advt. sometime back which showed the same indian attitude of wrapping everything. be it mobiles or car seats or even torn notes (in gujarat they actually put torn notes in plastic covers!) or television, washing machines and microwave!
magikrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 06:33   #21
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Wow ! Fantastic report with the attention to detail. Was the there an option to select eht interior color on the W6 ? I mean beige instead of black and plum.
I believe Beige-and-Plum interiors come with white and black exterior colors. There is no option anyways. Once you choose a external color, the internal color is not a choice. Also some external colors are not available with W6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
+1 to that thought! I too usually never liked the idea of installing the seat covers on brand new cars! I mean comon... enjoy what you have paid for first! ....

and also about the plastics, its the indian mentality I guess, to wrap everything expensive in plastics and covers till it is possible be it mobiles or car seats!
I remember about an advt. sometime back which showed the same indian attitude of wrapping everything. be it mobiles or car seats or even torn notes (in gujarat they actually put torn notes in plastic covers!) or television, washing machines and microwave!
Perfect observation magikrider! Even I removed all plastic covers from my car on day 2.

Quote:
....Thanks a ton. Being a newcomer to TBHP, I'd like get some advice regarding posting my travelogues separately in the travelogue section vis-a-vis posting everything (user reviews, niggles, XUV-centric travelogues, etc.) in one single comprehensive thread. Personally, I'd prefer the latter.
The idea is to keep the content organized so that it is easier to search and consume by fellow members. So a separate thread for travelogue makes a lot of sense.
I typically create a new thread in the travelogues section which details how the trip was conceptualized, how was the planning done, what all me and my family did on that trip, experiences and lots of photographs. A hint -> Quite a few TBHPians just go through the photos and skim through the text .
So a photologue with bare-minimum text also makes a lot of sense in place of a lengthy verbose travelogue, (especially if it is a regular popular tourist destination).
Anything specific about how the car behaved during the trip and the car's photos from different angles against exotic backgrounds - I typically add that to my ownership thread as a separate post.

So in a way a thumb-rule could be - if you want to share your and your family/friend's photos along with the places you visited, a separate thread in travelogues is the way to go. If it is only about how the car drove and car's photos, just add a post or two in your ownership thread.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SDP : 12th November 2012 at 06:53.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 10:23   #22
BHPian

debuda...phataphati report. Many congratulations on the wonderfully compiled report. Great to you see your passion soaring with age.

If in future I do go shopping for an SUV, rest assured you can expect a lot of PM's from me.

Have a great trip and hope to see loads of pictures soon. Wish you a happy birthday too!!
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 12:00   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations debuda!

Enjoy the drive to Delhi.
Do let us know your feedback on the long drive FE and also about the dashboard reflection during bright mornings and afternoons - it really botheed me during the test drive (but it was a W8, not sure if the dashboard color and finish in W6 is same).

Cheers!
Old 14th November 2012, 05:02   #24
BHPian

Debuda - Congrats on your new ride!

I am booking a W6 too, in the next 2 days. Wanted clarification from you wrt the following:

1. W6 seat cover - Premium Fabric - Is it a Seat cover over the original upholstery? Or is it the only layer.

2. What are the accessories you insisted on for W6?

3. Parking sensors are part of the W6 factory package?

4. how to make up mind between Silver and Dolphin Grey :( !

Enjoy many many miles.

Regards
Pramod
Old 14th November 2012, 08:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Have a great trip and hope to see loads of pictures soon.
Thanks, Arup.Misra and other fellow TBHPians for your kind good wishes. A report on my maiden long drive on the XUV will be posted shortly. To give a quick feedback -- I'm in Kanpur (about 900 km drive from Jamshedpur) at present and the drive was awesome, simply awesome! Not a single problem faced. I'm falling deeply in love with my XUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Enjoy the drive to Delhi.
Do let us know your feedback on the long drive FE and also about the dashboard reflection during bright mornings and afternoons - it really botheed me during the test drive (but it was a W8, not sure if the dashboard color and finish in W6 is same).
  1. I reset my fuel average (which was 12.3) before commencing this trip. After the 880 km drive to Kanpur, the average is showing 18 kmpl! As you know, the average does not show figures above 18 and below 9. I shall be verifying the actual average later (tank-full to tank-full) to ascertain whether the average reported by the DIS is indeed correct.
  2. The reflection on the windscreen of the two silver coloured bands on either side of the dashboard 'waterfall' is most irritating. Right on the date of purchase, I covered the top part of the waterfall with a dark coloured fabric to get rid of this niggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Debuda - Congrats on your new ride!

I am booking a W6 too, in the next 2 days. Wanted clarification from you wrt the following:

1. W6 seat cover - Premium Fabric - Is it a Seat cover over the original upholstery? Or is it the only layer.

2. What are the accessories you insisted on for W6?

3. Parking sensors are part of the W6 factory package?

4. how to make up mind between Silver and Dolphin Grey
  1. The premium fabric is original upholstery, duly stitched around the seat and can't be removed.
  2. The accessories I got for my W6 are : (i) Rubber mats (provided free by dealer) (ii) A Garmin nuvi50LM GPS navigator (iii) A small plastic stool to help the elderly to clamber into the car; this stool can be stowed under any of the front seats.
  3. Parking sensors with audio-visual indication system is very much there in W6.
  4. Though colour is a matter of personal choice, I'd recommend silver because : (i) Scratches and dust are less visible (ii) Greater visibility of car to other drivers at night (iii) Black and plum interiors -- easy to maintain and no reflections of upholstery on windscreen.
debuda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 10:47   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda
...I reset my fuel average (which was 12.3) before commencing this trip. After the 880 km drive to Kanpur, the average is showing 18 kmpl! As you know, the average does not show figures above 18 and below 9. I shall be verifying the actual average later (tank-full to tank-full) to ascertain whether the average reported by the DIS is indeed correct...
Looks like some nice figures. What is the total tank capacity & how much have you exhausted so far? Or otherwise, what is the DTE shown as of now?

What speeds did you adhere to? Did you use cruise control as well? Read multiple threads which confirmed cruise control mode fetching much better figures on different cars.

Wish you a completely fun filled & safe journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod
....4. how to make up mind between Silver and Dolphin Grey ....
Dolphin grey for me anyday. It actually hides those whiskers on the front bumpers which are way too prominent on Silver. Agree on silver being easy on scratches, but a paint protection + a waxing once in 6 months will take care of those. I prefer silver on any car only if that's the best color. XUV has better colors to choose from.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th November 2012 at 10:55.
swiftnfurious is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 11:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase and may every buyer get such good RMs (and I don't necessarily mean such PYTs. LOL). Just an RM who cares would do.

Did the Bluetooth problem you mentioned during the PDI get sorted out? Most Bluetooth issues that I have seen are due to Bluetooth version incompatibilities between the handset and the head unit.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 14:15   #28
BHPian

Debuda, congratulations on your new ride. I had already read about the impending XUV arrival on another thread but somehow missed this ownership thread till now. Better late than never. Its good to see a proactive Mahindra dealership and service center and I am sure you will ensure an all smiles service experience going forward as time passes. Perhaps dealerships in smaller cities tend be more proactive and attentive towards their customers than the ones in bigger cities. Where is this Mahindra dealership located? Are there other Mahindra dealerships in Jamshedpur.

Yes I was brought up in Jamshedpur and did my schooling there. However I couldn't place the road where you took your XUV. It looked to me some rural area on the outskirts. I drove my Vento last February to Jamshedpur and once I entered Jharkhand from West Bengal I constantly wished I had an SUV and constantly cursed Madhu Koda and his government . It seems the roads leading to Jamshedpur still remain in the same dilapidated condition. Wishing you good luck and a safe ride on your long road trip. We hope to see a nice travelogue once you are back.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 15:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
[*]The accessories I got for my W6 are : (i) Rubber mats (provided free by dealer) (ii) A Garmin nuvi50LM GPS navigator (iii) A small plastic stool to help the elderly to clamber into the car; this stool can be stowed under any of the front seats.
Dear debuda, please get a pair of sidesteps for your wonderful car.
The stool idea is interesting and a cost saver too, but on the long run it won't be very convenient. And you might end up looking stupid in front of the crowd. Just a friendly advice, no offence meant.
tachobells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 21:34   #30
BHPian

[list=1][*]I reset my fuel average (which was 12.3) before commencing this trip. After the 880 km drive to Kanpur, the average is showing 18 kmpl! As you know, the average does not show figures above 18 and below 9. I shall be verifying the actual average later (tank-full to tank-full) to ascertain whether the average reported by the DIS is indeed correct.

The tank size is 70 litres, so assuming 18 kmpl is correct, for 880 kms you would have burnt up close to 50 ltrs. If your fuel gauge is two thirds of the way down, your mileage calculator would be pretty accurate. Off course gauge indications are often not that accurate. Would wait for the full tank to full tank (FTTFT !) read. I would'nt be surprised if you're getting that mileage because your tyre pressure would be as recommended, average driving speed around 80kmph, and AC probably 75% of max. With this combo I get 15kmpl on my Honda City petrol on the highway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks