Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2012, 09:49   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur

Wonderful updates as usual Debuda. Besides the ring flashing RM, Ramandeep Kaur & XUV-trained mechanic Abhay I could also notice the "NAVY" sticker on your windshield. By any chance you were/are in Indian Navy or Merchant Navy?

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th December 2012 at 15:44. Reason: Hi, post edited a bit. Lets focus only on the car please.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 11:15   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
1)
2) Drive to Sikkim : The Darjeeling Hills, Sikkim and Bhutan are my favourite 'hill destinations' as I'm based in Eastern India.
Hi Debu-da,
PM'ed you route/road conditions. Drove down to the North Bengal - Sikkim side between mid to end November 2012.
Hope it helps.
Drive safe and have a very, very Merry X-Mas

best,
arjab
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 13:41   #93
Senior - BHPian

I am sure you have been taking the RM's permissions to post her pics in the forum. In case you have not done that then you must do that at the earliest. Everyone does not like their pics to be posted on the forums.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th December 2012 at 15:46. Reason: Removing quoted post. Thanks :)
TaureanBull is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 17:14   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Apart from that, how is the gear shift now? More than the cables the selector replacement would have helped, is it not?
Apart from the 2nd gear, all other gears have always been butter-smooth. The 2nd gear seems to be slightly better now. It will be put to the acid test during my forthcoming drive to Sikkim. Will report its performance after that trip.

The gear selector, as far as I know, is inside the gearbox and its replacement would be a major job. Personally, I would be averse to opening up of my gearbox in my brand new XUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I could also notice the "NAVY" sticker on your windshield. By any chance you were/are in Indian Navy or Merchant Navy?
I was in the Indian Navy for 2 decades and left it in the rank of Commander way back in 1994. I work in the Merchant Navy (Indian coastal vessels) once in a blue moon as Chief Engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Hi Debu-da,
PM'ed you route/road conditions. Drove down to the North Bengal - Sikkim side between mid to end November 2012.
Hope it helps.
Drive safe and have a very, very Merry X-Mas
Thanks a million for your most useful inputs.

Wishing you and all other Team-BHPians a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. My wife and I intend celebrating the New Year at Gangtok.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 23:32   #95
BHPian

Quote:

Wishing you and all other Team-BHPians a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. My wife and I intend celebrating the New Year at Gangtok.
Debuda wish you and your wife a safe trip to Sikkim and a great New Year in Gangtok. Look forward to reading your travelogue. Cheers!
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 10:16   #96
Team-BHP Support

Dada left Purnea @ 11am yesterday for Siliguri & further ahead.

On his way from Jamshedpur, they took a halt @ Deoghar, started from Deoghar @ 5am & reached here by close to 10, despite dense fog.

It was a real pleasure to meet him & the other passive Team BHPian. Mrs. Debu Da. It never occurred that we were meeting for the first time.

(Had gone to sleep @ 4 am (due to a wedding) & forgot to carry my cam, hence no pics from my end)
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 19:07   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Dada left Purnea @ 11am yesterday for Siliguri & further ahead.

On his way from Jamshedpur, they took a halt @ Deoghar, started from Deoghar @ 5am & reached here by close to 10, despite dense fog.

It was a real pleasure to meet him & the other passive Team BHPian. Mrs. Debu Da. It never occurred that we were meeting for the first time.

(Had gone to sleep @ 4 am (due to a wedding) & forgot to carry my cam, hence no pics from my end)

It was wonderful meeting Sheel at Purnea. Though he was very tired, he still took the trouble of meeting us. Incidentally, he is the first TBHPian I met in person. Posting a pic with Sheel. Adding a few other pics too.

Sheel and I posing in front of our respective wheels.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv.jpg

Crossing a shallow river bed in Bihar (bridge is under construction).
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv1.jpg

There was dense fog in North Bihar on our way to Purnea.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv3.jpg

Camels passing by the Cheetah on a foggy morning.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv4.jpg

Last edited by debuda : 31st December 2012 at 19:09.
debuda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 20:12   #98
Team-BHP Support

Where was that bridge located at? And that 3rd pic is awesome to say the least. Beautiful.

So you guys are currently at...?
Old 31st December 2012, 21:04   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Where was that bridge located at? And that 3rd pic is awesome to say the least. Beautiful.

So you guys are currently at...?
That river was about 50 KM south of Purnea.

Where are we? Maybe this pic holds a clue!
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv.jpg

Wishing all esteemed TBHPians (and their WHEELS) a fantastic New Year. Looking for'd to more enjoyable and educative interactions with all you beautiful people in the new year 2013.
debuda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 21:24   #100
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! Some beautiful pics. Did not expect to see camels in Bihar! That too so many of them.

All the best for your New Year trip and the new year itself. Would be looking forward for the updates.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 05:36   #101
BHPian

ODO : 6500 KM; Drive to Nathu La

My wife and I celebrated 01 Jan 2013 by driving to Nathu La from Gangtok. It was an awesome experience. Over a distance of 55 KM we climbed about 8000 feet (altitude of Nathu La is 14,200 ft). And the road is quite bad at present.

The key takeaway from the drive was this : For the first time after buying the XUV a couple of months ago, I fully realized the true capability of a SUV (this is my first SUV). The XUV worked wonderfully. Both the suspension and steering performed admirably under pretty adverse conditions, and the engine is a gem.

Over this 110 KM long arduous trip there were only 2 or 3 occasions where I wished for a bit higher power-to-weight ratio and AWD.

The road to Nathu La. Out of 55 KM, only about 15 KM are satisfactory.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-2.jpg

At Nathu La (14,200 ft). This year snowfall has been delayed and we did not find any snow. Most of the lakes are either fully or partially frozen though.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-1.jpg
debuda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 08:00   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ODO : 6500 KM; Drive to Nathu La

My wife and I celebrated 01 Jan 2013 by driving to Nathu La from Gangtok. It was an awesome experience. Over a distance of 55 KM we climbed about 8000 feet (altitude of Nathu La is 14,200 ft). And the road is quite bad at present.
What a way to celebrate the new year. Even I had a chance on two occasions to celebrate the new year behind the wheels. Which other cars/UVs did you come across during your 55 km sojourn to Nathu La?

Quote:
The key takeaway from the drive was this : For the first time after buying the XUV a couple of months ago, I fully realized the true capability of a SUV (this is my first SUV). The XUV worked wonderfully. Both the suspension and steering performed admirably under pretty adverse conditions, and the engine is a gem.
we understand the true potential of SUVs only on such roads. In our normal city usage the SUV is mainly used as a bullying machine, but only when you come across such terrain, you realize what else the SUV is capable of doing.

Quote:
Over this 110 KM long arduous trip there were only 2 or 3 occasions where I wished for a bit higher power-to-weight ratio and AWD.
Why do you think so? Was there any wheel spinning or were you stuck up somewhere? Also the power-to-weight ratio of XUV is one of the best in class (if not the best one). Only the Yeti & Fortuner scores over it. Refer the Specs sheet below from official TBHP review.

Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-specs.jpg

Quote:
At Nathu La (14,200 ft). This year snowfall has been delayed and we did not find any snow. Most of the lakes are either fully or partially frozen though.
Never mind, the pristine clear skies make up for that.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:52   #103
Team-BHP Support

That pic of the terrain is pretty tame if you ask me. I have been there & at some places, any hatch will scrape its belly away to glory, its that bad.

You wanted AWD in slush?

And interested to know as to how the permit was obtained?

Thanks

P.s - When can I see you on the way back?
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:00   #104
M35
BHPian

What a thread ! What an ownership review ! One of the best I have come across so far.

Your attention to details is fantastic.Thanks for sharing those informative technical details. Fantastic write up coupled with wonderful photography.
Dada, Is there any trip to south on the cards in future as well?
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 20:16   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Which other cars/UVs did you come across during your 55 km sojourn to Nathu La?

Why do you think so? Was there any wheel spinning or were you stuck up somewhere? Also the power-to-weight ratio of XUV is one of the best in class (if not the best one). Only the Yeti & Fortuner scores over it. Refer the Specs sheet below from official TBHP review.
1) Only SUVs / MUVs are apparently allowed on the Nathu La road. I saw Boleros, Marshals, Scorpios, Innovas, Sumos, Gypsies (Army), Safaris (very few) and Xylos (few). Of course, there were quite a few Army trucks (all 4x4). Mine was the only XUV (that too with a non-Sikkim, non-commercial licence plate) on that day.

2) There were a couple of occasions when I had to come to a dead stop on steep inclines and the front wheels started spinning while trying to move. But it happened because of thick dust or loose gravel on the road which hampered traction. AWD would have helped in those situations. A higher power-to-weight ratio could also have helped, theoretically. But as you have rightly pointed out, the power-to-weight ratio of XUV is not bad.

Quote:
That pic of the terrain is pretty tame if you ask me. I have been there & at some places, any hatch will scrape its belly away to glory, its that bad.

You wanted AWD in slush?

And interested to know as to how the permit was obtained?

P.s - When can I see you on the way back?
1) You are right -- the pic posted by me does not show the extremely treacherous nature of some of the stretches on the Nathu La road. BTW, I encountered far more horrible stretches during my subsequent drive to Lachung and Yumthang in North Sikkim.

2) As far as the two permits (Nathu La and North Sikkim) are concerned, my personal perseverance (meeting police officials personally) and being an ex-serviceman helped. Immediately after reaching Gangtok I drove into the Army base and got the Nathu La permit (Army). Based on this permit, getting the Police permit was easy. The Army is not involved with the North Sikkim permit -- I got it by smooth-talking a senior police officer. Total cost for both the permits was Rs 30 only (the official fees).

3) I drove down to Siliguri from Lachung in North Sikkim today. Maybe we could meet tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Dada, Is there any trip to south on the cards in future as well?
My next long drive is likely to be towards Visakhapatnam.

Last edited by debuda : 4th January 2013 at 20:21.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks