Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2012, 23:29   #1
BHPian

Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur

ODO : 28 KM / 20.10.12

Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks? This 61 year old fogey did something today which he had never done before – withheld payment to the dealer pending a thorough PDI of his new car. And I thank my fellow Team-BHPians for teaching me this useful new trick.

Ever since my XUV-500 was invoiced at the M&M plant on 05.10.12, the sales guys from the local dealership had been asking me to make the full payment. But I stood my ground and told them that only after I’m fully satisfied with the PDI will I make the payment. They finally agreed and offered me complete co-operation to carry out a fairly detailed PDI today. My car had reached Jamshedpur last evening.

My wife and I spent 3 hours at the dealership this morning out of which almost 2 hours were actually spent in carrying out the PDI. At the outset, we were introduced by the sales guy to two youthful RM’s (Relationship Managers – exclusive to XUV customers only). Before I could be told who out of the two was going to be my RM, I asked, “Am I allowed to choose my RM out of you two?” Both said “Yes” together and I seized the opportunity to choose a young lady as my RM. She turned out to be very confident, knowledgeable and helpful. She also happens to be drop-dead gorgeous.

After briefing by the RM on the role of RM, Purple Club benefits, etc., we proceeded to the car and started the PDI. The car was covered with the protective paper layer used during shipment and I requested them to leave it on because I can take delivery only after 5-6 days because certain official formalities would be delayed due to the weekend + Durga Puja holidays. The car had also not been cleaned after shipment (having reached the dealer only last evening) and was covered with dust, both outside and inside. But I didn’t mind, knowing that they would certainly clean it thoroughly before delivery.

My wife made a very insightful remark about the appearance of the car. She said that when our babies had been born, they were covered in blood and slime, but looked beautiful nevertheless because they were OUR babies. Later, when the nurses presented them after cleaning, they looked even better. Yes, our spanking new XUV-500 was the latest addition to our family!

I had made my own check-off list for the PDI, based primarily on the one downloaded from TBHP. I covered almost 75% of my list today and left 25% for later (the day of taking delivery, in all probability). Broadly, I checked out the following with the car stationary:
  1. Closing / opening of all doors, tailgate, windows, fuel lid, bonnet.
  2. Operation of key, security system, lights, turn indicators, wipers, wing mirrors, HVAC, defoggers, windshield washers, seat adjustments, seatbelts, horn.
  3. Inspection of all 5 tyres (my baby has Bridgestone Duellers – how do they compare with JK?), operation of stepney winch, jacking points.
  4. Infotainment system, gauges, warning lights, trip meters, Bluetooth, micro-hybrid system, auto headlights.
  5. Operation of gears and clutch.

I requested a drive and was told that I could not take the car out of the premises but was welcome to try it out in the yard. I drove it for a few minutes inside the premises and tried out fast acceleration in 1st and 2nd gears and hard braking (twice) from about 50 kmph.

My overall impression after the 2-hour PDI was :
  1. XUV-500 is an awesome beast and I feel vindicated that it was the right choice.
  2. The only ‘niggle’ I could discover was that even after successful Bluetooth pairing with my Nokia phone, I could not receive / make calls through the car’s system. But maybe we were not doing everything right. My car is the very first W6 that has come to Jamshedpur (bookings of XUV started here only in July 2012) and the mechanics here are more familiar with the touch screen of W8. They were fiddling with the infotainment system of the W6 for the very first time today.
  3. Engine felt awesome during the very limited and brief trials.
  4. Gear shifts were butter-smooth; clutch didn’t feel very different from my Swift VDi.
  5. I did two hard brakings (simply stepped on the brake pedal with full force) at about 50 kmph. The ABS / EBD worked admirably and contrary to what I’d gathered from the ‘Niggles’ thread, the brakes actually inspired confidence. After the car came to a complete halt, I came out and inspected the tyre marks on the dusty and mildly gravelly track – there were no skid marks.
  6. During my brief trials, I could not hear the dreaded ‘brake grinding’ noise! Anyway, my windows were rolled up and the AC was on.

Incidentally, this is the very first (not counting the mandatory ‘self-intro’) thread that I have initiated after joining TBHP just a month ago. I intend sharing all my experiences (including travelogues) as a XUV-W6 user on this thread as long as I own my XUV. I look forward to benefiting from observations of other XUV owners and hope that some XUV owners may benefit from my experiences as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-dmxuv-1.jpg  

Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-dmxuv-2.jpg  

Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-dmxuv-3.jpg  

Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-dmxuv-4.jpg  

Last edited by debuda : 26th October 2012 at 04:12.
debuda is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 07:33   #2
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur

Congratulations Debuda for the XUV5OO W6.
Congratulations again for possibly being the first TBHPian to start the ownership thread on the PDI day itself. That's the spirit!

Wish you a smooth delivery and satisfying ownership experience. Would be looking forward to a lot of pictures, travelogues and experience-sharing.

Enjoy your ride and drive safe.

Last edited by SDP : 21st October 2012 at 07:34.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 04:13   #3
BHPian

Re: Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur

ODO : 41 KM / 25.10.12

Brought my gleaming new XUV-W6 home finally! The guys at the dealership had goofed up by not depositing my cheque (issued on 20.10.12) for clearing. And since they had told me that delivery could be made only after clearing, I was patiently waiting, thinking that the bank holidays during Durga Puja are delaying the clearing. But when a whole week passed, my patience ran out. I demanded to be told WHEN my cheque had been deposited in the bank and then it came to light that it was still (on 25.10.12) lying in the dealership office! I just lost my cool, asked to meet the proprietor and demanded immediate delivery. And I got it.

The Service Manager ceremoniously handed over the car keys and the RM handed over a box of chocolates to my wife and me. The confetti bomb was a pleasant surprise by the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-2.jpg  

Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-3.jpg  

Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-1.jpg  

Last edited by debuda : 26th October 2012 at 04:20.
debuda is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 17:32   #4
BHPian

Doing Insurance and Registration on my own

Insurance

At the time of booking itself I had informed the dealer that I’d be doing insurance and registration on my own. I took out comprehensive Insurance from New India Assurance before taking delivery. My car was insured for 95% of the ex-showroom price (Rs 12,00,219 x 0.95 = Rs 11,40,209). The premium was just Rs 13,885 as I enjoy 65% NCB and I transferred the NCB from my Swift VDi to the XUV-W6. My insurance covers use of my car in Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Maldives. Many Indian car-owners who drive to neighboring countries tend to forget that their insurance cover does not extend beyond the boundaries of India unless they opt for ‘Geographical Area Extension’. This costs a mere Rs 500 or so extra and should always be done by those who intend driving to Nepal, Bhutan, etc.

Another aspect all car-owners should know is that a small discount on premium is admissible if the car is fitted with a theft protection system. All XUV owners should insist on this discount.

Registration

I initiated the Registration procedure at the local RTO the next day after delivery. I paid Rs 48,846 for one-time tax, registration, fitness fee and smart card. Here in Jharkhand the One-time tax is 4% of the ex-showroom price. Now I have to present my car for ‘inspection’ by the Motor Vehicle Inspector next week who will verify the chassis and engine numbers and whether the car is road-worthy! Everyone knows that new cars are never inspected by the MVI when the dealer does the registration because dealers bribe the RTO / MVI handsomely. Since I have chosen the non-bribe route (anyone who gets registration done through the dealer must remember that he is indirectly helping corruption) I have to present my brand new car for inspection! Anyway, since I have already paid the registration fees / tax and have the receipt from RTO in my car, I am supposedly free to drive my car anywhere even without a number plate.

First short drive on highway

Drove my brand new XUV-W6 about 60 km on the Jamshedpur – Ranchi highway on 28.10.12. Out of this 60 km, about 20 km was badly broken / potholed. Observations as follows :
  1. Suspension felt good and strong on broken stretches. Minor (and some ‘not-so-minor’) unevenness was absorbed nicely but I needed to slow down to a crawl over badly broken / potholed stretches to save my passengers from getting tossed about. No abnormal noises were audible from suspension.
  2. I did not try any hard braking as my 80 year old mother-in-law was on board. But I found the brakes quite okay and not worrisome as reported by some other XUV owners.
  3. For the last 5 years I’ve been driving a Swift VDi. The XUV felt relatively less peppy at lower speeds / RPM’s. Of course, the XUV being brand new, I was taking care not to subject it to much stress and was stepping very gently on the gas pedal. I never went over 2500 RPM. Also, I need to get used to the overall feel of a vehicle which is more than double the weight / bulk of my Swift.
  4. Ride quality, handling, power steering, AC, infotainment system, seats, doors, power windows, and overall comfort quite good.
  5. Average fuel consumption showing 12.8 kmpl after the 75 km trip (it was showing 9 kmpl before the trip). No idea about its correctness.
  6. Tried Cruise Control over short distances and found it satisfactory.
  7. ODO got reset (to zero) twice – this and a couple of other problems described on the XUV Niggles thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2946254

Some pictures may be seen at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2946238

Last edited by debuda : 10th November 2012 at 22:17.
debuda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 07:12   #5
BHPian

ODO : 200 KM

Went for a 40-KM drive in my XUV-W6 last evening / night with some buddies to specifically check out the suspension performance on broken roads and also the lights at night. General observations as follows :
  1. Suspension is far from being magic-carpet like, but inspires confidence on broken roads and big craters which are quite common in Jharkhand.
  2. There is no need to slow down much over roads with small craters and undulations. The suspension performs better over such roads if the speed is kept above 30 kmph or so.
  3. We did not hear any abnormal noises from the suspension though we travelled (at very low speeds) over some huge and deep craters.
  4. There were no audible squeaks from doors, tailgate or anywhere else.
  5. The low beam, high beam and static bending cornering lights were found very satisfactory and working as intended.
  6. The cabin lights, especially the 'lounge lighting', greatly impressed my friends.
  7. Did not find any abnormality in the behaviour of brakes as reported by some XUV owners.
Attached Thumbnails
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv.jpg  

Last edited by debuda : 1st November 2012 at 07:16.
debuda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 21:35   #6
BHPian

What lies below the engine cover?

Ever wondered what lies below the black plastic engine cover? Check out these pics.

The huge intercooler (cools the hot compressed ambient air coming out of the turbocharger before sending it to the intake manifold) sits atop the engine directly below the black plastic engine cover.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-1.jpg

The engine cover is cleverly designed. It has 2 scoops in front which scoop ambient air entering the front grill horizontally and directs it vertically downwards into the intercooler. Probably more efficient (and greater mass flow as well) than a bonnet scoop.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-3.jpg

Front view of the twin scoops inbuilt in the engine cover. To take this picture, I placed the engine cover vertically against the car's front bumper.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-2.jpg

Our XUV's first accessory

Interesting -- the very first 'accessory' for our XUV purchased by my thoughtful wife to enable her 80 year old mother to clamber in / out. Cost of the red plastic mini-stool: less than INR 100!
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv.jpg

Last edited by debuda : 10th November 2012 at 22:35.
debuda is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 21:32   #7
BHPian

ODO : 350 KM

Today I took my XUV to the Service Centre (for the first time after delivery) for a general check-up prior to my forthcoming long drive from Jamshedpur to Delhi. The following were done :
  1. The car was hoisted and tightness of all underbody / suspension fasteners was checked.
  2. I wanted to make sure that my brake pads are of the latest design. Both front wheels were removed and 4 brake pads were taken out and inspected. My early-October manufactured XUV indeed has the latest pads.
  3. All fluid levels were checked. The coolant level was mid-way between the Max and Min marks. The mechanic said that it should be near the Max mark and added about a litre of coolant. Later, when the RM told me that I needed to pay Rs 184 for 1 litre of coolant, I informed her that the coolant level was the same (mid-way) even when the car was delivered to me and a mere 350 km of running had not made any difference to the coolant level. So it stood to reason that M&M should give me adequate quantities of fluids in a brand new car. She readily agreed and I was not required to pay anything.
  4. I wanted to personally inspect the high pressure power steering hose which has a history of failures (PS fluid leakage leading to complete PS failure) and has brought many a XUV (including my nephew's) to its knees in the middle of the road. My hose looked fine and the mechanic confirmed that it was of modified design.
  5. I was keen to know how to get access to the fuse panel inside the car (below the steering wheel). The same was demonstrated to me.

The entire check-up plus washing / cleaning of the car was complimentary.

Check out some pics I took :

My RM Miss Ramandeep and Abhay, qualified XUV-trained mechanic, giving personalized attention to my XUV. Ramandeep is very fond of her iPad which she tries to put to good use.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv003.jpg

Front RHS brake assembly.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv002.jpg

Friction surface of one of my brake pads. This is the latest design, with no grooves. It was interesting to observe that as the pad wears out, the contact surface increases due to the bevelled edges!
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv004.jpg

Non-friction side of a brake pad. Pads made by Bosch.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv005.jpg

A XUV from one of the earlier batches was being serviced in the workshop. The owner had complained of brake grinding noise and all his pads were being replaced. Note the old design pad with grooves.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv006.jpg

XUV has an alarm for worn out brake pads (front). Check out the brake pad wear sensor.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv007.jpg

The upper of the two pipes is the High Pressure power steering hose which has a history of leaks. The lower one is the low pressure hose which is quite benign. The leaks usually take place from the joints between the rubber hose and its steel end connections (the black rubber hose on the right and one of its steel end fittings on the left are clearly visible in this picture). These pipes / hoses are situated by the side of the front RHS wheel-well (below the steering column).
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv008.jpg

Underbody fasteners being tightened.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv009.jpg

View of stepney and the 2 silencers from below.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv011.jpg

Note the 'twin hull' shaped fuel tank which has a built-in tunnel for the exhaust pipe. Also note the heat shield (silver coloured) over parts of the fuel tank adjacent to the hot exhaust pipe.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv012.jpg

Another view of the fuel tank from below.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv013.jpg

Fuse box below the steering wheel. This box is not readily accessible like the one in the engine compartment.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv015.jpg

A panel in the dashboard, directly below the steering wheel, has to be removed to get access to the fuse box. Quite cumbersome.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv014.jpg

Though I have driven my brand new XUV only for 300+ KM, I made it a point to carefully observe its behaviour since I'm taking it for a long drive to Delhi (and beyond) soon. I drove it over some horribly broken and potholed stretches near Jamshedpur and the experience was good. As I have reported earlier, the ride quality is nowhere near magic-carpet like, but inspires confidence nevertheless. As a matter of fact, I'm yet to come across any aspect of my XUV which does not inspire confidence. I'm particularly impressed by the handling and engine. Furthermore, the transmission is butter-smooth, the AC is excellent, interiors & space exceed my expectations and the bells & whistles department is particularly well-endowed. But I hasten to remind myself that it's pretty much early days! Time will tell whether my choice was correct.

The only 'niggle' worth mentioning that I've discovered so far is a squeak that comes from the left side of the dashboard (apparently, because squeaks have a very deceptive nature) while going over rough roads. I'll be observing this closely. I want my XUV to be perfect and I don't like compromises in my cars. And since the XUV happens to be the costliest car that I ever purchased, I'll be even less forgiving towards the most minor of niggles.

Starting 12 Nov 2012, I'll be undertaking a long drive from Jamshedpur to Delhi and thereafter to some destination (not yet decided) further up North and then back to Jamshedpur. I'd love to continue sharing my observations / experiences with fellow TBHPians as I (and my XUV) go along.

Last edited by debuda : 10th November 2012 at 22:16.
debuda is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 23:09   #8
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic report Debuda!
Thanks for sharing lot of pics. The brake-pad pics are especially appreciated. Have heard a lot about one-groove and two-grooves till now and never understood. A picture speaks a thousand words. Now I understand the different generations of the pads better.

Thanks again!
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 23:29   #9
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new possession. It is great to see such a high passion for cars at your age.

Wish you a very happy and niggle-free ownership experience.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 02:03   #10
BHPian

Debuda - Congrats on your XUV, your attention to detail is commendable and I look forward to your insights. BTW everyone should have a RM like yours

I am beginning to become scared for Mahindra, the signs are ominous. Debuda is a perfectionist with a low threshold for incompetence and imperfection. Mahindra come across as rustic jugad masters who would be nonplussed when you inform them your brand new Mahindra's vehicles tyre has decided to part ways with the car. And XUV is a troubled child! This is a recipe for teambhp's most heated thread. Things are going to become interesting.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 02:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, Debuda on your new ride. Thanks for sharing lots of pictures, good comparo of break pads and under belly pictures answers a few questions for sure.

Looking forward for more pictures on the road and some great driving experiences. I'm yet to post mine, will do it soon.

Wish you many happy miles with your new ride!
Drive safe.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 11:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I seized the opportunity to choose a young lady as my RM. She turned out to be very confident, knowledgeable and helpful. She also happens to be drop-dead gorgeous.
Hi Debuda - congrats on your XUV. Superb Pics

Quick Question - Was there any specific reason to choose the lady RM? I for one would prefer a Gentleman as in case support is needed at un-earthly hours, It is easier to call a gentleman rather than a lady.

Bridgestone Duellers are a shade better. They perform well on broken tarmac.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 13:39   #13
BHPian

Congratulation for the XUV. Quite a looker, I must say. The information regarding the brake pads was interesting.
By any chance, do you live somewhere around CH Area. I remember sighting a similar XUV there a few days back.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 14:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Quick Question - Was there any specific reason to choose the lady RM? I for one would prefer a Gentleman as in case support is needed at un-earthly hours, It is easier to call a gentleman rather than a lady.
Scopriobharath -- In case you haven't observed, Indian women have come a long way over the past half century. Yesterday, when I took the car to the Service Centre for a check-up, my RM herself told me never to hesitate to call her any time, even in the middle of the night, if my XUV had a problem on the road. She insisted on always being the first to know my problem and requested me to call her even before calling M&M Roadside Assistance.

Now you know why I chose the lady RM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congratulation for the XUV. Quite a looker, I must say. The information regarding the brake pads was interesting.
By any chance, do you live somewhere around CH Area. I remember sighting a similar XUV there a few days back.
Utopian -- Thanks. I live in Sonari West Layout. You won't see my silver XUV for the next 3 weeks in Jampot as I'm off to Delhi tomorrow.
debuda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 15:25   #15
BHPian

Debuda
Faatafati as we would say in Bengali. I am so glad my XUV is coming after yours. I just need to follow your advise. Can't thank you enough. Have a great trip and for those BHPians who do not know, it's Debuda's birthday tomorrow, so all can wish him.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks