Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2012, 18:28   #1
BHPian

My Blue Eyed White Boy - Maruti Suzuki WagonR Vxi

It becomes my pleasure to announce that we are now proud owners of a Blue Eyed boy, who was delivered on 16th October 2012. This blue eyed boy is the first boy in our family to come on four wheels, though we never had a chance to own 2 wheeled boys earlier except for a very rusty MTB cycle way back in 2002.

This boy came after a long wait of deliberations, discussions and vitamin M considerations and thus hold a very special place in our hearts.
Ok, so by now all most all have had a guess whom I am referring too. We took the delivery of a white Maruti Suzuki WagonR Vxi. The car was delivered to us on 16th October 2012 with all the usual fanfare.

Ok, so in Team-BHP land, do as the moderator tell us too. And here I go to write about our experience with our boy.
Pardon my post if there are mistakes in it and constructive criticism is always welcome. I now take you through a point wise list of things.

1. Car summary (Likes) ::
1. A good car to drive for newbie drivers. I learned to drive in age old Esteem and could literally feel the improvements in technology in the newer gen cars.
2. Excellent features list offered in the Vxi including electrical ORVM, defogger, music system, etc.
3. An almost silent engine. (note, this is a personal opinion)
4. Great space in the back seat, which many cars in this category hold as a premium.
5. The stock music system is pretty good.
6. Tall boy has good ingress/egress especially for older people.
7. Large front glass for great road visibility.
8. Tilt adjustable steering a great boon to find the right driving position.
9. Great AC
10. Spacious enough for 5 average size Indian folk.
11. 60-40 back seat split frees up ample space for airport runs.

2. Car summary (Dislikes)::
1. I would have loved even more if the ABS was included in the price tag of the Vxi.
2. Driver seat height adjustment would be a great help for short heighted drivers.

3. Other boys and girls seen (the other competitors)::

well to first put up the criterias for the car to be selected.

1. Should comfortably sit 5 people for city rides.
2. Easy ingress/egress for old people and a very tall brother.
2. Should have a decent boot space.
3. Easy to drive.
4. And ofcourse fuel efficient.

1. Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 :: A gem of a car with great engine, but was dropped from our list due to Spartan interiors and was not really impressed with the plastic quality. Also, the back bench was our one of the criterions which this baby did not tick.

2. Hyundai i10 :: Well most say this is a killer car and will kill the Alto one day. We never tried this car as we have so many i10s in our residential, and we knew about its features and drawbacks for us. Infact the i10 was never on our mind as it never sat in our minds as a 'Family car'.

3. Honda Brio :: A stunner to say the least. But again the back bench was an issue. This car is absolute winner and was impressed by the build quality. The attitude shown by Honda folks regarding no discounts (corporate or normal) and no follow ups put me off the Japanese kid. Well I got a call from Honda after our Wagon R was delivered and the irony of Japanese work culture, is, that this call was not for a sales follow up but for feedback of their sales staff. Funny aren’t they ?

4. Maruti Suzuki Ritz/Swift :: Well how can a car hunt in India be without a holy visit to the Maruti cousins. We for a while toyed with the idea of increasing our budget and going for a swift or Ritz Vxi, but then better sense prevailed and a good part of a lac rupee was saved. Personally I was waiting for the Ritz 2012 to get launched, but when enquired for the car, no dealer had a demo model and the price hike that Maruti asked now for a facelift did not seem VFM.

5. Maruti Suzuki WagonR :: Well, I first saw this boy, when I was eyeing the Alto K10 and was impressed with the features list of the Vxi and the test drive sealed the deal as this was easily one of those cars, which had driver comfort (in term of frontal visibility/tilt steering/electrical ORVM/Defoggers ,etc) and passenger comfort for 5 average sized people. Maruti sealed the deal for me with great discounts.
Our criteria for decent boot space was also getting ticked with 60-40 split option of the rear seat. We just loved the concept of parcel tray under the front passenger seat. Our second criteria for 5 people was ticked. An easy ingress/egress car was desired as we have old people at home and they surely would not like to bend to get in the car. We received the thumbs up from my brother who sat in the back seat during PDI and confirmed the head room as well as leg space. He is 6.1 and tallest in our family.

4. Booking Process:: Well I must say, this went with the wind. We had just entered the Maruti show room which is just a hop skip from our home.the time was around 10:30 and the sales staff was in a meeting. A 5 minutes wait and were attended to. We expressed our desire to go for the WaonR Vxi. the sales person was very cordial and explained all the formalities, introduced us to the contact person for HDFC bank. The booking process was very smooth and were guided by the sales staff as well as the bank representative properly. A small goof up on my part saw me rushing home to get the forgotten photographs.

as per our earlier discussions, the dealer offered 35K discount + 5K corporate discount as well as freebies like ‘mudflaps’, ’engine waxing’ , ’floor mats’ which seemed to be a good deal. We paid 2.79 Lac upfront and took a loan of 1.61 Lac from HDFC bank and voila the booking was done. As I said gone with the wind. The sales staff also agreed for a pre registration PDI. It was Ganpati festival and we attended a small aarti at the showroom. A very pleasant experience.

5. Preregistration PDI :: Myself, the better half and my super excited younger brother went to the Maruti dealer stock yard and did a full PDI and also confirmed the dates through VIN identification.(thank you Team BHP). the vehicle allocated to us was Aug-2012 dated vehicle hardly 20-25 days old.
the showroom guys co-operated and also provided a free ride to the stock yard. Confirmed the dates, checked the vehicle as per our Team-BHP cheklist, all seemed OK. checked for paint job, bumps, scratches. all seemed good. Asked my brother and better half to sit in the back seat and confirm on the head/leg room. Meanwhile I checked all the interiors. finally, after spending about 20-25 minutes, gave an all clear as I was satisfied with the vehicle. Noted down the VIN from the engine bay for my future reference.

And then the wait. The delivery was promised within 15-20 days after booking and the delivery date was fixed on 16th October 2012, the first day of Navratri. One point here is that 'our request for delivery on Dussera, was politely turned down as the dealer was full for Dussera deliveries. Later came to know that there were 80+ deliveries lined up for dussera day.

6. Delivery Process :: I had called up the sales person the earlier day and fixed the time at 11:30 for delivery. Both myself and the better half had taken the day off from work as we were getting our first baby home. In the morning frenzy, we got delayed and reached the showroom at around 12 in the afternoon and in the meanwhile had already received a phone call asking for our presence at the showroom. I liked this attitude. The process though a tad slow was good, though I do not blame the dealer for this as it was Navratri time and the floor was full with delivery vehicles. the sales person explained all the documents, I checked all the papers and finally saw our white boy all decked up for delivery. Just had a round up inspection of the vehicle and took the keys with a mandatory pooja and coconut ceremony and some snaps. The showroom guys were quick to spit polish the car and get it ready. The showroom staff gave a quick demo of all the features and confirmed that all the whistles were in order. I checked all the papers once again, did one more inspection and meanwhile, the show room staff presented us with a small token gift in the form of a print copy of the clicked snaps and a small Ganesh idol. A very pleasant experience I must say.

I had carried a box of mithai and small gift for the sales person, presented these to her, filled in the feedback form and we were good to go. Well, we had to wait for about 10-15 minutes as we asked for a show room driver to drop the vehicle home.

and so, we brought the blue eyed white boy home.

The Vitamin M factor ::

1. The total cost on road was 4.40 Lacs after the 40 K discount. We opted for an insurance policy from New India Assurance which costs us 13K approx. We did not opt for any extended warranty.
The dealer gave us following accesories free
a. Mudflaps
b. Floor mats (which thankfully turned out to be original maruti ones).
c. engine wax and
d. window sun visors.
Apart from these we bought the following things from MGA.

a. Body cover :: INR 1200
b. Leather seat covers full black :: approx. 3200 INR
c. Car care kit :: approx. 400
d. cushion set including 2 cushions + 2 small head rest pillows for front seats + 2 seat belt covers :: approx 400 INR
e. An Emergency light :: Approx INR 350

Our kid in detail ::

Till date the kid has travelled 148 kilometers and most of it was me driving 13-15 kilometers per day. I am still learning to drive and have a driver to teach me. There has been no problem so far and me being a newbie driver have already managed to stall the car a couple of times. Though I must say that, the car pulls very comfortably on starting and the gear shift is slick. If I have to do a comparison analysis with the Esteem in which I learned to drive, this car is a huge huge improvement. I am comfortable in starting the car in first gear and have now learned to gradually pick up.

Our usage pattern will be approximately 35 kilometers per day to office. Our office is located in Powai and I plan to use the Aarey colony road to save on some time. (suggestions from Mumbai members welcome!) This is through smooth traffic as we normally work in the afternoon shifts. The return journey home will be through a bit of heavy traffic.

I have been into many maruti vehicles including Ritz/Omni/alto and by far I can say that WagonR will be at par with Ritz in terms of space. If I had to compare this car with other options available in the same segment, then there would be very few cars which would have given me the space that we required. We are satisfied with the way the car has handled till date and the build quality also looks pretty much upto the Maruti mark.

The rails provided on the roof of the WagonR seem to give the car a proper looking shape moving out of the boxy design. As they say, I am gradually falling love with the exteriors. they are not over the top Hyundai exteriors, but plane frames that are built to purpose. No fancy dress competition here.
On the exterior part I love the front grill and the back hatch door which has a silver plate with Wagonr written on it.

The interiors are a well crafted combination and perform their appointed jobs very well. The front seats are literally sofas for us as no one in our family I above 5.6 in height except for my brother who has managed to hit the 6 mark. The back seat can easily seat 3 people. The boot space though a bit cramped is good for short weekends and office runs. Well since this car is actually a Wagon, there are many who question the stability of the vehicle. But well I once floored the accelerator to touch 90 and the vehicle handled well. City drive ability is great as lifting the vehicle in first gear is pretty much an easy task. this will give ease to your foot in the buper to bumper madness. The other noteworthy interior point Is regarding the big parcel tray under the front passenger seat which gives sufficient utility value for those shopping trips. It comes in very handy to carry the documents as well. The glove box is also big enough. There are some cubby holes near the gear box and in the doors to carry small nicks and nacks. though I would have prefered the door holes to be bigger. something which the Brio has. the music system is very build for normal beings like us. It plays CD/MP3/Radio and the USB, but the USB kit has to bought separately. MGA is selling this as a separate accessory for 5000 bucks. Guys, please suggest where can I get this done in Bombay near Borivli. I did not go for the MGA USB kit as i thought 5 grand was a big sum. also, if we get this kit fitted externally, will it void the warranty of the vehicle? experts please help.

The engine run in period is on and I am taking as much care to not rev the engine very hard. Am I supposed to keep the RPM around 1500 – 2000 RPM, am I correct ? I tried driving in congested, small and pot holed Thakur complex roads as well on the western express highway and the car pulled on very well.

Fuel efficiency. I had filled in 10 litres of fuel and the car has pulled upto 105 kilometers and there is still 1 bar of fuel left in the tank as per the indicator.

Well, this gives rise to the question, why Petrol? well frankly, it was because of me not being very comfortable with my passengers sitting right on top of a huge gas cylinder. Actually, I am quite paranoid about the huge CNG cylinder sitting right in the laps of the passengers, Hence, I do not prefer the CNG. For now I will have to live petrol till I get rid of my fears.

The features of seat belt alarm and key insert alarm are really very helpful especially for newbie guys who tend to forget this stuff. The control stalks also seem to be fairly built and perform their tasks pretty efficiently.

The gear box is a good unit and till now, I have had no problem in slotting gears. Once on the National park flyover, while riding in the fourth gear, I had to brake as there was a heavy truck in the front. So, while climbing again the car did not acccelerate as desired. I had to downshift to the third gear and then the vehicle again pulled along very well. I suppose this is normal.

The air conditioner is a real chiller. One sore point is that the air vents are right in front of the steering wheel and the drivers hands get frozen. I prefer keeping these 2 vents closed permanently.

Apart from these, I have not faced any niggles till date and hope to keep it like that.

Well to summaries I must say, “I let my mind take the decision, which was in favour of WagonR in terms of practicality over looks”. WagonR gave me everything, it made us a proud owner, I gave us freedom. Freedom to roam, freedom to explore and freedom from harrowed bus travel.
This boy is very precious to us and promise to keep good care of my kid.
Attached Thumbnails
My Blue Eyed White Boy - Maruti Suzuki WagonR Vxi-car-10.jpg  

My Blue Eyed White Boy - Maruti Suzuki WagonR Vxi-car-20.jpg  

Last edited by Dieseltuned : 30th October 2012 at 20:08. Reason: Added a more detailed review as suggested by the moderators
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 13:45   #2
BHPian

Re: My Blue Eyed White Boy - Maruti Suzuki WagonR Vxi

Ok, A bit of update on the vehicle::

1. I have now touched the 150 mark. No, dont read it wrong. My vehicle travelled for 150 kms and not at 50 kmph.

2. My initial 10 litres of fuel is till going strong and still have one bar of fuel left as per the indicator.

Regards
Old 1st November 2012, 16:35   #3
BHPian

A very comprehensive write up there! Congratulations and I know it's a wonderful feeling to buy your first car. Our first car too was a Wagon R and I agree that it's a very nice practical and under rated car. Do keep updating the thread regularly. Cheers!
Old 1st November 2012, 19:38   #4
BHPian

A few questions for fellow BHPians::

1. Please help me with a good place to get the under body coating done in Bombay prefrably near to Borivli?

2. My car is delivered with Goodyear tyres (155). I do not feel to upgrade. Members please suggest.

3. Where near Borivli can i get a USB kit fitted for my car. Will it void the warranty of the vehicle if done outside maruti?

Regards
Old 2nd November 2012, 13:08   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on the new baby in the family. I too am a proud owner of one of these babies!
A real practical buy I must say. One thing that dosen't seem to get digested by me are:

Quote:
An almost silent engine. (note, this is a personal opinion)
Sorry, I respect your opinion, but I didn't find this engine to be silent. The NVH levels are a bit on the higher side. I had driven a ritz for some distance, but was impressed with the NVH levels. Also the i10 features in the list of decent NVH levels car. Note that I have not driven any of these cars extensively. Just some kms.
Wonder if your car has some insulation in the bonet.

150 kms in 10 litres! If that is in the Mumbai traffic with the AC, I should say you are getting some pretty good FE.
I am getting approx 12 Kmpl in city with the AC.

The space and the ingress/egress are the + points of this car and the sole reason I shifted my booking from an altoK10 to the WagonR.

Quote:
c. Car care kit :: approx. 400
e. An Emergency light :: Approx INR 350
What do they provide in here?

Quote:
it was because of me not being very comfortable with my passengers sitting right on top of a huge gas cylinder. Actually, I am quite paranoid about the huge CNG cylinder sitting right in the laps of the passengers, Hence, I do not prefer the CNG. For now I will have to live petrol till I get rid of my fears.
Hope you get across your fear soon. There is no incident of fire/problems in any company fitted CNG waggies till date AFAIK. CNG is a great choice if you want to put your car as a workhorse.

Quote:
The interiors are a well crafted combination and perform their appointed jobs very well.
Yes, the interiors are really well designed, but the plastic quality is pathetic. The panel gaps are all the more disappointing. Just check the quality of those cup holders. You may argue that this is what you get for the price, but how much does it take to give some decent quality plastics. May be a 2000 more, how much does it affect in a 4L car!

Quote:
The air conditioner is a real chiller. One sore point is that the air vents are right in front of the steering wheel and the drivers hands get frozen. I prefer keeping these 2 vents closed permanently.
The middle right vent blows all the cold air right onto the steering and on my hands. This gets quite chilled after some time and am forced to divert the vents in other directions. During this time, the AC is a real chiller, but have noticed that during peak summers, in the afternoon it does take a it of time to cool the cabin. Might be normal though.

Quote:
Well to summaries I must say, “I let my mind take the decision, which was in favour of WagonR in terms of practicality over looks”. WagonR gave me everything, it made us a proud owner, I gave us freedom. Freedom to roam, freedom to explore and freedom from harrowed bus travel.
This boy is very precious to us and promise to keep good care of my kid.
Your mind has made the right decision and the kid is going to serve you for long and is not going to be heavy on your pocket as well.

Quote:
A few questions for fellow BHPians::

1. Please help me with a good place to get the under body coating done in Bombay prefrably near to Borivli?

2. My car is delivered with Goodyear tyres (155). I do not feel to upgrade. Members please suggest.

3. Where near Borivli can i get a USB kit fitted for my car. Will it void the warranty of the vehicle if done outside maruti?
1. Under body coating for my kid came from SAI service Borivali. Going to the MASS was the best option at that time for me (the time I didn't know what TBHP is). If you want it done from outside, BHPians HELP!

3. When I was booking my car, I was told it is an separate accessory for 350 bucks. It was some kind of a cable and nothing had to be fitted IIRC. But then to check it with a shop nearby. I have seen many near the Poisar area in Borivali west. One of them I remember is CAR ART IIRC. He seemed to be a genuine one. Note that I have no experience with this shop. Had just hopped in to inquire and found it reasonable.

Wish you many more happy miles and drive safe.
Old 2nd November 2012, 16:52   #6
BHPian

thanks Carzone,

Point wise reply to your points ::

1. Well that is why I said Engine noise is a personal opinion, since Ihave not driven any other car other than an age old Esteem. the showroom guys had given me a free coating of Engine wax and I really dont know what that means or how does it impact the NVH levels.

2. Well actually yes, but at this point, I have not tried the tankful method, so cannot come up with the actual FE. As I said the ODO reading sayss 148 and I still have one bar left.

3. Ingress/Egress were my most of the essential points required for parents and grand parents and a deal maker for us.

4. The car care kit has 4 different kind of liquids to clean the car. One for body wash, one for glass and so forth + a very shabby looking scrub, which wont even last one wash.

5. The emergency light is a contraption, which runs on batteries and can be plonked on the road in the case of emergency situations. It can also be used as a torch to see the underbelly of the vehicle in case of any faults. (seems like a marketing gimmick, but also seems to be a pretty helpful thing)

6. well yes I will have to throw the fear if the govt. keeps on increasing petrol prices. By the way, which pump do you use for refuelling ? I was thinking of going to the Shell pump on WEH at Dahisar.

7. Yes, the AC vent is right in front of the steering wheel, a very poor positioning.

8. thanks again, for pointing to some of the shops, will try and visit there sometime next week. I will keep you posted on this.

thanks again.

Regards
P.S :: Sorry, i could not figure out how to use the multi quote option, so answering in points.
Old 2nd November 2012, 23:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
thanks Carzone,

Point wise reply to your points ::

1. Well that is why I said Engine noise is a personal opinion, since Ihave not driven any other car other than an age old Esteem. the showroom guys had given me a free coating of Engine wax and I really dont know what that means or how does it impact the NVH levels.
After the age old esteem, this has to feel great I suppose. I haven't laid my hands on an esteem though.

Quote:
2. Well actually yes, but at this point, I have not tried the tankful method, so cannot come up with the actual FE. As I said the ODO reading sayss 148 and I still have one bar left.
Do let us know about your FE soon.

Quote:
3. Ingress/Egress were my most of the essential points required for parents and grand parents and a deal maker for us.
The very same reason I turned towards WagonR leaving behind K10 and A-star.

Quote:
4. The car care kit has 4 different kind of liquids to clean the car. One for body wash, one for glass and so forth + a very shabby looking scrub, which wont even last one wash.

5. The emergency light is a contraption, which runs on batteries and can be plonked on the road in the case of emergency situations. It can also be used as a torch to see the underbelly of the vehicle in case of any faults. (seems like a marketing gimmick, but also seems to be a pretty helpful thing)
Surely seems a marketing gimmick. I really don't need a flash light as my mobile flash suffices for the needs.

Quote:
6. well yes I will have to throw the fear if the govt. keeps on increasing petrol prices. By the way, which pump do you use for refuelling ? I was thinking of going to the Shell pump on WEH at Dahisar.
I trust only BP pumps. BTW, I live in Mira Road and there are two BP pumps from where I regularly fill up.
Quote:
7. Yes, the AC vent is right in front of the steering wheel, a very poor positioning.

8. thanks again, for pointing to some of the shops, will try and visit there sometime next week. I will keep you posted on this.

thanks again.

Keep us updated.
Some more pics would do great though!
Old 14th November 2012, 13:20   #8
BHPian

OK, here goes a quick update.

for a newbie driver, this is quite a big drive, I know there are lots of members who criss cross the country, but I am a new driver and below is some drive experience till date::

1. Drove from Borivli to Mira road and back with total 5 adults on board, the drive was pretty smooth, though I am facing some issues while down shifting from 2nd to 1st gear, this might be because of my driving novice. I went to cinemax area in mira road and thank god due to fair amount of GC the car did not scratch any where. the return drive was pretty smooth, with no traffic near Dahisar toll post was back home in borivli in 20-25 minutes driving at 40. 5 adults on board was pretty comfortable for back benchers as well and the AC worked comfortably.

2. Drove the car from Borivli to Powai a fair amount of 20 kms drive to our office. this was a very smooth drive with minimum slotting problems. JVLR as usual was crowded, but I must say I pulled well. Parked in my office car park without scrapping the pillars, an achievemen of sorts for me.

So now my baby has done almost 200 KMS and doing great. no niggles so far. I have not noted the fuel efficiency yet, will keep you all posted on this. Some photos coming up by this weekend.

Regards
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 15:41   #9
BHPian

The blue eyed boy has run 3000 + kms now without any major failures. I am due for second servie in the month of April 2013. Guys can anybody please guide me what all things have to be done at second service of a Wagon R VXi ?
Old 12th May 2013, 19:09   #10
BHPian

Sharing some new photographs of the blue eyed boy
Attached Thumbnails
My Blue Eyed White Boy - Maruti Suzuki WagonR Vxi-w3.jpg  

My Blue Eyed White Boy - Maruti Suzuki WagonR Vxi-w4.jpg  

My Blue Eyed White Boy - Maruti Suzuki WagonR Vxi-w5.jpg  

Old 14th May 2013, 11:26   #11
BHPian

Congratulations @ Dieseltuned on your acquisition. I can exactly relate to your feelings regarding your buy, as I also had similar feelings when I bought my Estilo 6 years back. In-case, you stay in Borivali, and intend to give your car for servicing at Spectra Motors, then you can keep me posted, as the Service Manager Mr. Anil Gurav, is a very good friend of mine, he personally attends my car whenever I send it for servicing.
Old 15th May 2013, 11:50   #12
BHPian

Thanks Sawnil,

Yes I do stay at Borivali and will surely contact you.
Old 29th August 2013, 14:34   #13
BHPian

Posting a small update on the WagonR.

The blue eyed boy completes 11 months of proud ownership. I have now driven close to 7500 kms within Bombay city limits and feel very comfortable with this car. The third service was completed this weekend and all the recomended oil changes done. The car so far has no major issues. The water sprinkler which sprays on the front windshield had stopped working and it was found that the pipe connecting the tank to the sprinklers had snapped, got it replaced and was charged only INR 16 for this. The third service was done at Spectra Motors Borivali and I must say that they did a very profesional job. The interior and exterior cleaning was also done pretty well. They also provided a free voucher for body polishing at the service centre.

Overall a very satisfied ownership experience. Thank you Maruti, for this wonderful vehicle.

Regards
Ritesh
Old 29th August 2013, 15:06   #14
BHPian

hey Diesel!!

What about rattles? has the car developed any rattles yet?
Old 29th August 2013, 15:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

@dieseltuned,

Congratulations on your blue eyed white member of the family. Good to hear that you have no niggle ownership of the car and wish the same continues.

One typical question - Kitna deti hai & kitna leti hai (service cost). Are you planning to pamper the boy as it is nearing its first birthday? Any out of town travelogues yet?

Happy may more smiling mile crunching and drive safely.

Most Viewed