Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 09:19   #46
BANNED

Re: Urban Titanium Honda Brio V-AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujatwork View Post
Sir, its a standard practice in all Automatics to press the Brake and then shift from N to D & visa versa, or N to R & visa versa. I want to know whether, Brake is pressed only to prevent the car from creeping forward / reverse or does the Brake engage some sort of a clutch inside to remove load from the transmission box during the shift?
Let me explain two things - you can go from N to D and vice versa without even using the Shift Unlock Button.

As from other gears: You can move from R to N without the button, as also from 1 to 2 to D3.

The logic is that you are permitted to move towards D with no need for the button, but not the reverse.

As a safety precaution most cars need the Brake to be pressed when starting (esp in P and sometimes in N as well). This is as you rightly pointed out to prevent creep!

Fixing the Dog damage:
Finally got the fog assembly with tha lamp. So I had to change the bumper (painted as well), fog assembly and the AC condenser. Total damages about 26k. RSPCA can rejoice since the dog was not seriously hurt.
Old 20th February 2013, 23:23   #47
BHPian

Could you please tell how fuel efficient the Brio is proving to be around town? Is it as good as 16kpl?
Old 21st February 2013, 10:22   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnd View Post
Could you please tell how fuel efficient the Brio is proving to be around town? Is it as good as 16kpl?
No way. It is more like 11-12, which is at least 15% better than my Santro AT was. The 16 figure of ARAI was with highway and ARAI figures are at least 30% higher than what you get in town. Highway is normally higher.

Last edited by sgiitk : 21st February 2013 at 10:24.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 10:53   #49
BHPian

Thank you for that. Not much difference from the City AT in that case, which does 10-11kpl around town. What this country sorely needs are automatic diesel vehicles- which are still few and far between.
Old 25th April 2013, 11:03   #50
BANNED

Got the six month free service yesterday (4678km). Pretty good, oil with filter cost Rs.1170 only. The image is a composite of two pages, since the invoice style has changed.
Attached Thumbnails
Urban Titanium Honda Brio V-AT-scanned-25042013-0946.jpg  

Old 25th April 2013, 13:49   #51
BHPian

I had been looking for an ownership review of the Brio AT. Thank you for the comprehensive review of the AT.
I am looking to get Brio AT and my requirements are similar. Would be driven by my wife to work and would be used as a city commute.
I need to figure out the kind of waiting times that I can expect for the AT. With the Amaze coming in they might start pushing for the Amaze AT which I actually do not want. I am ok with a sub 1 month waiting period. Lets see how it pans out.
Old 25th April 2013, 13:57   #52
BANNED

I hear that deliveries of the AT have restarted. Yesterday I was told that the count in Kanpur has now gone up to three, from one for quite a long time.
Old 21st May 2013, 13:55   #53
BANNED

Sir,

thanks for the thread. i just found it. i am considering buying this car and have a query regarding the Brio AT.

quoting from the "Official Brio Automatic thread"..

"• Gearbox can end up puzzled on mid-throttle input"

it is further expanded by these lines..

"It's only when you start driving with medium accelerator inputs that you start discovering the gearbox' shortcomings. With the accelerator pressed halfway, the otherwise well-sorted transmission ends up feeling puzzled. You'll frequently find it revving the engine by holding onto a gear unnecessarily, or upshifting when the same isn't required. I had to make the Brio AT upshift at times by releasing the accelerator pedal and, conversely, pressing it a little harder to drop a gear.

The Brio AT felt perfectly at home cruising on the Greater Noida Expressway at 100 kph. The engine was spinning at a relaxed 2,100 rpm, with the car feeling perfectly planted. 5th gear is a lot taller than on the Brio MT which sees 100 kph @ 3,000 rpm. Highway fuel economy should be satisfactory. Just like the Brio MT, the AT's top speed is electronically limited to 140 kph. When cruising on the highway, I missed paddle shifters the most, as I couldn't figure out a way to accelerate in the same gear; even the slightest pedal pressure makes the gearbox drop a gear, when it could very well have accelerated in the same gear."

I would like to know your findings on the above mentioned points. Is this something that can be fixed by a software update from Honda ?

Thanks.
Old 21st May 2013, 15:47   #54
BANNED

basically the transmission has a mid-range lag. This is true in the Civic as well. However, for town driving if you use D3 this lag is almost not there.
Old 21st May 2013, 16:09   #55
BANNED

could you kindly expand on it a bit in layman terms... i'm a non technical person but I love to understand things.
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:59   #56
BANNED

Essentially if you step on the gas at a low speed, the car hesitates and then responds. As I say it pauses, then picks up its dainty skirts and runs. Ditto for going hard on the throttle. This behaviour is much reduced in D3 so as not to be an annoyance.
Old 22nd May 2013, 13:02   #57
BANNED

Thanks,

1. So would you say that D3 is ideal for city driving. And D is more suited for highway ?

2. I see that D3 means that the gear remains in 3rd gear. So does it mean no matter how high the speed goes the gear won't move to 4th ? In that case the rpms will increase.

So the vibrations and engine noise must be increasing inside the car. In your experience with the car, till what speed/rpm is the noise/vibrations inside the car bearable/comfortable in the D3 mode ?

Cheers
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:26   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Thanks,

1. So would you say that D3 is ideal for city driving. And D is more suited for highway ?

2. I see that D3 means that the gear remains in 3rd gear. So does it mean no matter how high the speed goes the gear won't move to 4th ? In that case the rpms will increase.
Not exactly. D3 indicates that the engine moved between 1, 2 and 3. D3 has another point - there is some reverse engine braking, which is missing in D. However, you quickly learn to anticipate and we (my wife and myself) are quite happy sticking in D. Strictly, in the town you seldom hit 4 or 5 (5 seems to come in on a light throttle at 60 kph!). Possibly, the loss in economy by using D3 may not be significant.
Old 22nd May 2013, 17:03   #59
BANNED

were you aware of the the impending launch of the Polo GT Tsi while you were buying the Brio AT ?

I ask this as I see that you are amongst the first owners of the Brio AT. Did you consider the Polo GT..? If so then what was your reasons to go for the Brio over the Polo ?

I'm currently very confused between the two.
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:55   #60
BANNED

I will not look at any product from the VW stable. Also, by and large the cost of ownership of a japanese or Korean product is far lower.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks