Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2012, 19:14   #1
BHPian

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!

So the Baleno had completed 12 years. Although the way she looked and moved belied her age, over a decade of ownership meant it was time for a new set of wheels. As much as i loved her i had to let her go and in the end it was a t-bhpian who i hander her over to (which i am very happy about). So while the Baleno was on sale, my sights on the Suzuki's replacement was set. I was in love with the Polo 1.6 and although it wouldn’t give me a big advantage over my souped up Baleno as far as performance is concerned, it would still be a much more modern car with far better safety features and then some. Even my mom loved it and i did not even consider any other options.

So the day arrives and I hand over the Baleno keys to its new owner. I'm all set to book my VW when I get news about the 1.6 variant getting discontinued. Now this was heart breaking news. While there were news about dealers ridding off the remaining stock, I was simply against buying a car which is out of production. Not that I was concerned about the resale since I was going to keep it for the next 5 years at least, but I was already driving an out of production car and the idea about buying a brand new car which is not going to be on the shelves just did not tick my box.
So that was that and thus began the hunt. My priorities were simple, good handling, ABS, airbags and a decent level of kit. Following are the cars we thought about enroute to selecting the City.

Suzuki Swift Petrol – The Swift ZXi was well within my budget and what I was happiest about was how cheap the maintenance was going o be especially after owning the most expensive to keep Maruti of them all. I loved the handling and though the motor was just a 1.2, I found it pretty adequate. My idea was to keep the adrenalin rush coming in with bikes (I already own a ninja 250 and will plan a bigger upgrade soon) and keep the car for the comfortable commutes and really long trips. The Swift fit that bill well and it was pretty loaded as well. However a week before booking as I ogled at random Swifts on the road (you know how we end up checking what you’re going buy..be it gadgets or cars) I notice soooo many of them that I already got tired of it. The sales guy was great and kept a regular follow up and in the end I had to tell him, as much as I loved the car it’s just too common a sight. Swift exit that was, literally.

Ford Fiesta Ambiente – Anyone who craves handling has to love a Ford. While I did not agree with the Fiesta’s design team, I was ready to overlook the fact that the Fiesta looked like 3 different cars joined together (no offence to owners). Had a look, budget had to be stretched from 6.75 to 8.72 OTR Mumbai. Liked what I saw and they also had the kinetic blue which I wanted. However, getting in from the titanium variant which we test drove into the ambiente version which were looking at, we suddenly felt like we were robbed. The plastics were in abundance with most of the stuff missing and it looked cheap for a car at that price. No audio, no alloys, no body coloured side mirrors, no this and no that meant ‘No Fiesta’.

Skoda Rapid and Vento Diesel – just had a looksie at both these brothers from different mothers. Massive discounts on the base version of both these cars got me thinking. While the petrol motors on both these cars are below average, the 1.6 TDI’s are absolute stonkers. But alas, no airbags and no ABS meant neither of these were going to be DAS AUTO’s.

Honda Jazz – My second practical option after the Swift, though significantly more expensive. Lots of space, lots of equipment and the most powerful 1.2 litre mill out there. I like the rallye red in the X trim. No more thinking, just went ahead and booked. Details can be seen in the ‘I booked my car’ thread. Delivery was going to take atleast a month and I was ok with that till I got another shocker. Honda raising its prices. And even though I had booked the car before the price rise, I wasn’t getting a price protection since the dealer did not have a car with him. Now that was a major bummer. So now I was getting a petrol car with no discounts, no freebies with an even more bloated price tag. That made me feel like a fool especially when it’s a buyer’s market for petrol cars. That was it, I had given up. I hated the Indian car market for not having anything for petrol enthusiasts with on a budget. I thought ill just wait it out till next year till something new comes out.

The Honda City – Walking out disappointed, out of the Honda showroom, I got distracted by the glimmer of sunlight reflecting off the grille of car in the corner. It’s a shining white City, which like the Swift, I have seen in plenty but not like the way I was seeing it now. The glimmer was more like a call out to me. Now the City has been around since 2008 and although I loved it for its specs, I was somehow never enamoured by it. And with umpteen duels with various OHC Vtecs and 1.5’s in my Baleno I somehow always thought of it as competition. Even though the Baleno was gone, it was almost like it was ingrained in me..City = Rival. I had never thought I would own one. But I guess I was wrong. Even my wife who is a brilliant driver and loves cars (she is a team bhpian too) wasn’t too taken by the City. But the sales guy saw it on my face and pushed for a TD. I wasn’t interested in driving it and happily sat shotgun while my wife took the wheel. Now I had driven the car way back in 2008 so I had an idea about how it drove, but it was the first time for my wife. A couple of swings in the red zone and I could already see her smiling. Loved the feel of it and she was already nodding away with approval. Quick telephonic conversation with my mom led to a unanimous yes. And since the car was in stock I was also getting it without the price increase with the insurance knocked off as well. Finalised on the S variant which came with everything one could ask for. Well I wished for a sunroof, but that was an option only in the auto variant. Took a while to arrange the now much higher than I anticipated 9.94 lakh price tag. Finally payments made and a hectic 2 weekend work schedule post it meant I could not get a Dussera delivery. But finally Friday, on 2nd November my baby came home. Yes it’s not a rare sight on the road, but for me it’s the apple of my eye. The looks have grown on me (since I ogled at almost every City plying on the road) and people tell me I’m behaving like a kid with a new toy, because I can’t stop talking about it or looking at it.

The first longish drive has already happened, with me driving to Pune 2 days after the purchase. So here are the things that I noticed.

Exteriors

Compared to the pre-facelift City, Honda has done well to make these subtle changes noticeable, I wasn't a big fan of the chrome grille at first, but the shining nose doesn’t look too bad. But I’d still prefer the older grille. The sides look the same but the increased gap in the wheel arches thanks to the increased ground clearance is a bit of an eyesore. The changes at the rear are the best of the lot. The fake diffuser like treatment along with the new led tail lamps look fantastic. While the overall design is good i still feel the design is way too front biased. Planning to get a lip spoiler to add some balance at the rear.

Interiors

Getting to the insides, there is plenty of space. Ingress egress is pretty good and even my mom who has a bit of a knee problem found it quite easy to get in and out of the car. Ergonomics are top notch and everything falls to hand quite easily. Seats are very supportive and considering the last long drive I did was in the new Alto 800 a few days back, the City’s seats felt great. The other thing about the driver seat is that its quite high even in its lowest position. While it definitely gives a good view, those who prefer a lower seat heaight have no option. Then there is the beige overdose. It’s prone to getting dirty very easily especially the area near the door sill. Plastics too in some areas could be better made, especially the grey plastics surrounding the audio system. The speedo console with a white illumination and the rest being amber looks a little odd but then you get used to it.

The Drive

Driving the car, the first thing I noticed was the short clutch travel, need to check another City to find the difference. Other than that it’s a breeze to drive around the city. The footwell as adequate space and even though there is no dead pedal which I'm quite used to, I don’t really miss it thanks to the rubber rest which acts as a pseudo dead pedal. The steering is very light and requires minimal effort however I would have appreciated a little more feel. Comparatively my Baleno’s steering was way more feelsome. The suspension feels good, swallows most road irregularities with ease and most importantly damped quite well. However I feel that the tyres are over inflated at the moment and as a result the car feels a little crashy over sharp ridges and bumps.

Speaking about tyres, I played the fool even after reading multiple ownership reviews and did not specify which brand of tyres I wanted, and as a result my City is riding on MRF’s which I’m not entirely happy about but I guess I cant do much about it anymore. While I haven’t put them to the test yet, coming from the brilliant 195 section Yoko’s I’m sure I’m going to be disappointed. Well what the heck, at least I can expect good fuel efficiency from them. Cant change them now since buying the car has rendered me broke.

Heart of the matter

Coming to the heart of the matter, I'm simply in love with the i-VTEC mill. Smooth as silk, the engine purrs to life. I haven’t seen upwards of 5k rpm yet but will pretty soon once I pile on some more km on the odo. Gearing is spot on and I haven’t really noticed the bit about the City being sluggish at lower rpms. Pulls quite well even in higher gears at low speeds. Even the gear shift is super slick and it’s an absolute joy to go up and down the gears. The golf ball lever though is something I not too fond off. It’s too small for my liking and I might replace it with something a little bigger.

Coming Soon

The add-ons, seat covers have been ordered, I love the stock music system so no changes there for now but components should find their way in soon, 3M coating was something i was looking forward to and i got it done as well. Sunfilms are a pain in Mumbai right now, with pandu's making a fortune out of it these days. So will have to look for the non-shaded ones.More pics due soon.

The car has completed about 600 km with the first service due soon. The car has only seen Mumbai-Pune drives as of now and has barely stepped out for city commutes (ironic for what the car is called :P).

So far this is what i have summarized. Let me start with the Dislikes first.
  • Beige overload, even near the footwell means one has to take a lot of care.
  • Steering feel is too light, more feel would have been appreciated.
  • The stock MRF's are purely for the purpose of fuel efficiency and any sort of high speed runs straight line or twisty's is at one's own risk.
  • No dead pedal
  • No climate control or electric folding mirrors in a Ten lakh rupee car. Ridiculous.
  • Braking is good, but with a 118 PS on tap, rear discs would have been a welcome addition.
  • If you dont like the looks...stare. It grows on you and how.
  • Amazing space
  • extremely supportive seats. Long distances are a pleasure.
  • Phenomenal i-Vtec engine. So refined that i cranked an idling car twice already
  • Eco mode glowing dishes out fuel efficiency to rival smaller hatchbacks
  • Burying the throttle dishes out performance to smoke bigger sedans.
  • Safety is covered, with ABS,EBD and driver-passenger airbags.
Attached Thumbnails
My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-1.jpg  

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-2.jpg  

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-3.jpg  

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-4.jpg  

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-5.jpg  

Last edited by balenopower : 27th February 2013 at 15:11.
balenopower is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 14:40   #2
BHPian

Re: My New Honda City - A Hate..Love story!

990 km on the odo and the car headed straight into the Linkway Honda Service centre. Since im in Mumbai only on weekends, i was lucky that the service centre was open on a Sunday. Was greeted by lots of smiling faces and was asked to wait till my designated service advisore is sent. Service Centre impression...Very impressive. Very nice ambience, free internet, beverages and even health drinks while your car is tended to.

I was told that the first service does not include an oil change which i thought was funny, but then the manual recommends an oil change every 5k km. I think I shall get the oil changed myself. There was a softish belt ka tak tak which i found abnormal but the service advisor called the chief technician and laid my doubt to rest.

The car was done in 2 hours with the car ready for delivery when i reached there. Quality of wash was pretty average, i think i had a better experience with Maruti here. But other than that nothing to complain about since there wasnt much to do other than a general check up.

All ready after service

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-img_0314.jpg

Light foot reaps efficient rewards

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-img_0308.jpg

Soft beige material on the armrest is a stain magnet

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-img_0319.jpg
balenopower is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 17:49   #3
BHPian

Second Service over and the car has just completed 3000 km. Its been a very good relationship so far. Im simply loving the no rattle no hassle ownership. While i love the performance, one thing that i have been left disappointed with is the handling. Even after the Pirellis, the City gets quite nervous over 140 km/h. There is no feel whatsoever from the light dead steering. You know there is grip but still it doesen't inspire the confidence to push hard. I'm a little disappointed on that front considering the Baleno was brilliant in this aspect.

I'm thinking the extra ground clearance on the new City has just made teh handling worse and during my next service, will inquire about lowering the car. Mileage has been a consistent 14 kmpl or more considering she has barely seen City driving. A strut brace is in order soon and i hope it helps.
balenopower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 13:43   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 7th April 2013, 20:42   #5
BHPian

Congrats on the buy! Wish you many happy miles on the City. But since you were after all spending nearly 10 lakh bucks, you did not re-consider the others? For example - you would have had got a Fiesta petrol or the Vento or Rapid diesel as you mentioned above. And since you guys are primarily drivers, I guess the Fiesta would have had made a lot of sense.
Guess when you set your heart at something, you just can't get over it, can you now. Not just you in particular, I refer to the whole human species in general.
Congrats again! Please keep the thread updated.
Cheers!
Batfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 22:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The city is a great car for what it offers. I just went home and drove the New city that we got. The engine is a whole lot better than the dolphin shaped honda city that we used to have. Very rev friendly and responsive. The FE also seemed a little better than the older city. The only grudge I had with the car was the steering. I think its the worst unit I have used till now. Even the Sunny and Altis have EPS but the City's is lifeless at a whole different level. Zero feedback whatsoever. Driving the Petrol Lancer after the city felt heavenly!

Last edited by bblost : 8th April 2013 at 13:34.
Old 8th April 2013, 11:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
While i love the performance, one thing that i have been left disappointed with is the handling. Even after the Pirellis, the City gets quite nervous over 140 km/h. There is no feel whatsoever from the light dead steering. You know there is grip but still it doesen't inspire the confidence to push hard. I'm a little disappointed on that front considering the Baleno was brilliant in this aspect.
Nice thread @balenopower. Thanks for being outright honest. I do know what the Baleno offers, and what you're missing in the Honda City. But at least the City gives you better F.E. and it should reward you with lower maintenance costs in the long run, as the Baleno's parts were terribly over-priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfreak View Post
But since you were after all spending nearly 10 lakh bucks, you did not re-consider the others? For example - you would have had got a Fiesta petrol or the Vento or Rapid diesel as you mentioned above. And since you guys are primarily drivers, I guess the Fiesta would have had made a lot of sense.
+1 to your views. I suppose you are referring to the Classic and its free-revving motor. The new Fiesta is, unfortunately, not that rev-happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The city is a great car for what it offers. I just went home and drove the New city that we got. The engine is a whole lot better than the dolphin shaped honda city that we used to have. Very rev friendly and responsive. The FE also seemed a little better than the older city. The only grouse I had with the car was the steering. I think its the worst unit I have used till now. Even the Sunny and Altis have EPS but the City's is lifeless at a whole different level. Zero feedback whatsoever. Driving the Petrol Lancer after the city felt heavenly!
Wow, this is a revelation. I thought all EPS steerings were bad, but as you seem to have driven all those cars, I'll go by your feedback. Even the dolphin-shaped City had a very lifeless steering. The worst I've driven is the i-20's steering.

Last edited by vnabhi : 8th April 2013 at 11:44.
Old 8th April 2013, 12:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on getting the Tafeta White City home. The car does look great.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the City.
Old 8th April 2013, 12:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the buy! Wish you many happy miles on the City. But since you were after all spending nearly 10 lakh bucks, you did not re-consider the others? For example - you would have had got a Fiesta petrol or the Vento or Rapid diesel as you mentioned above. And since you guys are primarily drivers, I guess the Fiesta would have had made a lot of sense.
Guess when you set your heart at something, you just can't get over it, can you now. Not just you in particular, I refer to the whole human species in general.
Congrats again! Please keep the thread updated.
Cheers!
Not the new Fiesta because no matter how hard i tried just could not accept the looks, not the old Fiesta or now Classic because even though its a wonderful drivers car, it's pretty outdated in almost every other sense.

No Vento because even at 10 lakh there was no ABS-Airbag offered. Both these features were a must for me.
Old 8th April 2013, 12:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Second Service over and the car has just completed 3000 km. Its been a very good relationship so far. Im simply loving the no rattle no hassle ownership. While i love the performance, one thing that i have been left disappointed with is the handling. Even after the Pirellis, the City gets quite nervous over 140 km/h. There is no feel whatsoever from the light dead steering. You know there is grip but still it doesen't inspire the confidence to push hard. I'm a little disappointed on that front considering the Baleno was brilliant in this aspect.

I'm thinking the extra ground clearance on the new City has just made teh handling worse and during my next service, will inquire about lowering the car. Mileage has been a consistent 14 kmpl or more considering she has barely seen City driving. A strut brace is in order soon and i hope it helps.
Congratulations balenopower on your new city.
I absolutely loved your no holds barred honest write up on the car.
I think they could have waited to add the extra ground clearance to the city. I own a pre-facelifted version and the first thing I noticed when I saw the FL version is the gaps on the wheel arches and on closer observation the visibilty of the under carriage which was not visible before the 5mm increase in GC. Also Honda could have done better with the units that house the fog lamps IMO.
After driving a Baleno for all these years, I know where your dissapointment wrt handling comes from.
I had one question wrt to your tyre upgrades. Did you change your stock MRF's to 195 Section Yokos and then to Pirelli ?
The FE numbers when driven sedately would give most hatches a run for their money. Enjoy your new car and wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles on this one.
Old 8th April 2013, 13:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Congratulations balenopower on your new city.
I absolutely loved your no holds barred honest write up on the car.
I think they could have waited to add the extra ground clearance to the city. I own a pre-facelifted version and the first thing I noticed when I saw the FL version is the gaps on the wheel arches and on closer observation the visibilty of the under carriage which was not visible before the 5mm increase in GC. Also Honda could have done better with the units that house the fog lamps IMO.
After driving a Baleno for all these years, I know where your dissapointment wrt handling comes from.
I had one question wrt to your tyre upgrades. Did you change your stock MRF's to 195 Section Yokos and then to Pirelli ?
The FE numbers when driven sedately would give most hatches a run for their money. Enjoy your new car and wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles on this one.
nah nah..The Baleno was shod with Yoko's. The City switched the pathetic stock MRF's for Pirellis. Here are some of the add-ons the car has seen till date.

The City was shod with Pirellis while my friend went for Yoko's on his Jazz. I must say the steering feel on the Jazz is way better than in the City.

The art leather seat covers feel brilliant and the guy at New Motor Hood has done a brilliant job as far as the fitting is concerned. Hope you guys like the keychain
Attached Thumbnails
My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-1.jpg  

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-2.jpg  

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-3.jpg  

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-4.jpg  

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-5.jpg  

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-6.jpg  

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-7.jpg  

My New Honda City - A Hate..Love Story!-8.jpg  

Last edited by balenopower : 8th April 2013 at 13:03.
balenopower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 13:17   #12
BHPian

Thanks balenopower. On second read i found that i read it all wrong.

The key ring is cool and so is the instagram'ed picture of it. Where did you procure it ?
I loved the color of the fabric on the seat covers. What brand of covers are these ?

Cheers
Old 8th April 2013, 13:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Not the new Fiesta because no matter how hard i tried just could not accept the looks, not the old Fiesta or now Classic because even though its a wonderful drivers car, it's pretty outdated in almost every other sense.
No Vento because even at 10 lakh there was no ABS-Airbag offered. Both these features were a must for me.
Err, no. Due to the ongoing discounts, you get the Vento's Comfortline variant which has a driver side airbag and ABS at a similar price point. Also available is the top end model of the Rapid which has both the airbags and ABS. And I am talking of the diesel ones here which in the long run would save you more money!
Old 8th April 2013, 14:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Thanks balenopower. On second read i found that i read it all wrong.

The key ring is cool and so is the instagram'ed picture of it. Where did you procure it ?
I loved the color of the fabric on the seat covers. What brand of covers are these ?

Cheers
The Art leather is sourced by New Motor Hood itself. Its is in-house brand. As for ASIMO, that was a gift.

Quote:
Err, no. Due to the ongoing discounts, you get the Vento's Comfortline variant which has a driver side airbag and ABS at a similar price point. Also available is the top end model of the Rapid which has both the airbags and ABS. And I am talking of the diesel ones here which in the long run would save you more money!
I booked the car in October 2012. At that point the discounts were offered only on the base variant of both the Rapid and the Vento with the ABS-Airbag variant cost well over 10 lakh.
Old 8th April 2013, 14:28   #15
BHPian

@balenopower, Your city looks beautiful, gorgeous, mindblowing, mouthwatering, elegant, simple, headturner! And what more can I say!
Heartiest congratulations! Wish you a trouble free ownership with her (I know it comes standard with every Honda)!
And yes, the key ring looks awesome: Honda android like!
Sorry, but I don't like the seat covers. Beige ones would have been better, maybe because brown/red looks too flashy. Nice anyways!
More interior pics would be appreciated!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks