Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2012, 20:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405

Some friends from another group had embarked from Gurgaon on a GQ tour when their Force One stalled all of a sudden somewhere before Varanasi, in the middle of he night. Nothing they did could start the vehicle and even after two days of various people from Force Motors checking it and trying their best, nothing happened. Ultimately, the vehicle was towed / transported back to Delhi and they cancelled their trip. To date, there is no information as to what happened.
There is a lot of detail behind that particular incident that you do not seem aware of. In fact there was a fair bit of inadvertent misuse involved, and the Force motors response to the problem was outstanding and perhaps unprecedented. However I cannot share the same here. But this discussion is not material to the intent of this thread.
There is a lot that Force motors is rightly blamed for, but being an existing customer let me assure you that I have not yet found cause to fault their intent or effort. In Tata's case, it seems to be the exact opposite!
Old 18th November 2012, 21:00   #47
BHPian

re: Tata Aria Pride 4x4: Owner's pain & frustration. EDIT: Saves 3 lives in an accident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
The Contenders:
Ford Endeavour: Was the first car in our wish list . Looked impressive, is spacious, and drives well. However not comfortable, ford maintenance could be pain in long run.

Fortuner: Middle row seats lacked the space, interiors couldn’t justify the price

Innova: Suited us in every possible, Taxis image plus absence of black color pulled us away from this car, though i regret it now.

Tata safari: Poor built quality plus endless issue was a big no no

Scorpio: Middle row seats were too upright and lacked the space we were looking for.

Aria: Exteriors didn’t impress us however everything else did. Was spacious, interior built quality was best in the segment, only car where middle and last row could be flat folded, extremely comfortable, best safety kit on offer. I was in two minds, Am I going to buy a Tata No way!!!! My heart was the new ruler of my mind(stupid me) T-BHP review were good, everything from fit to finish was good about the car. I knew I have to handle tata service, but never thought the product itself will have so many issues.
Sad to hear about your ordeal with TATA and your Aria; but one thing I had to ask you ... Why didnt you consider XUV5OO as one of your options?
Old 18th November 2012, 22:10   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran

There is a lot of detail behind that particular incident that you do not seem aware of. In fact there was a fair bit of inadvertent misuse involved, and the Force motors response to the problem was outstanding and perhaps unprecedented. However I cannot share the same here. But this discussion is not material to the intent of this thread.
There is a lot that Force motors is rightly blamed for, but being an existing customer let me assure you that I have not yet found cause to fault their intent or effort. In Tata's case, it seems to be the exact opposite!
Is there any further info / thread about their experience in Team BHP? Would like to know, as the Force One was a vehicle in my near future purchase list till I heard about their experience. Thanks!
And sorry for the digression from the Aria.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 23:24   #49
BHPian

re: Tata Aria Pride 4x4: Owner's pain & frustration. EDIT: Saves 3 lives in an accident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Sad to hear about your ordeal with TATA and your Aria; but one thing I had to ask you ... Why didnt you consider XUV5OO as one of your options?
I bought my car in Aug 2011. XUV 500 was launched much later.
Old 20th November 2012, 13:23   #50
BHPian

Bravo, I am really sorry to hear your woes man. After 2 years of selling the car if the technical team is not able to diagnose the problem it is a real shame. I saw engineers getting the design drawings to my office to understand where the problem was. Even then they took close to 3 -5 days to identify most of the issues. For everything they believe part replacement is the solution.

The Aria's we have are now running ok but the struggle for months is not worth it. We had an option of Innova vs Aria and chose the latter. Selling them would have lefft us with huge losses so even we are holding on to them.

I still love the Safari for its butch looks. But I will not touch it just for the fact that it is a Tata Product. If the same car was from Toyota, Honda or even a Maruti, I would have gone ahead and picked it.
Old 20th November 2012, 14:21   #51
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad Bravo, really sad.

This vehicle seems to be further compromised during the engine transplant.

Further this dealer and service center too don't seem to be sufficiently capable.

The car scan software should have pointed to the exact cause of the last failure after the car was towed back. But the person scanning seems to have erased all fault records first up to get the car running and can now not pinpoint the exact issue.
Old 20th November 2012, 14:41   #52
Team-BHP Support

The Aria no longer comes with Dual mass flywheel. This part was causing a lot of failures, and current Arias are with the single mass flywheel.
On the suspension front, alignment issue is also a common problem. No matter what the workshop did, within 1000kms, the alignment would be out, and the vehicle would start eating the front tires.
Such things point towards a lack of QC mechanism within the company. Long term stress testing of test mules can easily weed out such problems.

Bravo, you can go to Autolinks Gurgaon for further repairs and service. With Meru cabs gone to a new facility, the workshop is much better now, and you get slots and lifts more easily.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 20th November 2012 at 14:43.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 14:47   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
The Aria no longer comes with Dual mass flywheel. This part was causing a lot of failures, and current Arias are with the single mass flywheel...
Thought only the Pure LX version was coming with single mass flywheel to reduce the cost. How is the NVH on this?

OT: Isn't Storme supposed to get dual mass fly wheel? Should we also expect the alignment problem as the chassis is same as Aria?
Old 20th November 2012, 16:16   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thought only the Pure LX version was coming with single mass flywheel to reduce the cost. How is the NVH on this?

OT: Isn't Storme supposed to get dual mass fly wheel? Should we also expect the alignment problem as the chassis is same as Aria?
Chasis is similar. I do not think its the same. As for alignment problems, only time will tell.
As for flywheel, the workshop guys told me that all 2012 Arias do not have dual mass flywheel.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 16:37   #55
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Chasis is similar. I do not think its the same. As for alignment problems, only time will tell.
As for flywheel, the workshop guys told me that all 2012 Arias do not have dual mass flywheel.
As per TM website only ARIA Pure LX has single mass flywheel, rest all have dual mass flywheel

Storme chasis is same as that of ARIA with reduced length & wheel base

ARIA - 4780/2850 mm Length/wheelbase
Storme - 4655/2650 mm Length/wheelbase
Old 20th November 2012, 16:44   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
As per TM website only ARIA Pure LX has single mass flywheel, rest all have dual mass flywheel

Storme chasis is same as that of ARIA with reduced length & wheel base

ARIA - 4780/2850 mm Length/wheelbase
Storme - 4655/2650 mm Length/wheelbase
If you reduce the wheelbase, isn't that a different chasis
Thats why I said similar, not same.
Old 5th February 2013, 18:43   #57

Quote:
"Before I begin let me first summarize my ownership experience till date

Duration of ownership: 1 yr

Odometer: 28500 kms

Free services: 3 (1k, 5k and 15k kms)

Days Spent by the vehicle in various workshops: 60 and counting

Visits to workshop for running repairs: 10 and counting

Stranded by roadside: 3 times

A.31st Dec2011- Engine failed (Towed to workshop)

B 26th Aug 2012- ABS Malfunctioned (Towed to workshop)

C 8th Nov 2012- No apparent cause (Car goes in ‘limp-home’ mode)"
@Bravo82in - Dude.. I've just started reading this thread and the 1st post itself has kinda shocked me. I have been using a relatives Aria since the past 3 months and hence the reason for my research in this topic. I love this vehicle and it hurts me to see such behavior and issues from a vehicle I have grown to love (trust me, i was in no way a Tata fan before getting the Aria). So far, thankfully my experience with the Aria has been great. I also have a friend working with TM who swears by the vehicle and the new staff at their service centres. I really hope your issues get sorted out quickly, shall send this thread to my friend at TM and see if he can speed up the process.
Also.. on another note.. this has gotten me quite excited.. Have you seen their new site? its really cool and just goes to show that TM does have something in mind for the Aria in the future, why else would they spend money on a new website.. Since I'm in the digital field, this did catch my interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria Pride 4x4: Owner's pain & frustration. EDIT: Saves 3 lives in an accident!-aria1.jpg  

RRozario is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 21:32   #58
BHPian

If i keep the issues aside the car is a gem from tata motors
Their customer service manager has been really supportive in my case. Replaced a few things as goodwill gesture, paid for the cab bill while car was being treated by TASS. My experience with TASS (after initial hiccups) was far better that what i was expecting. I have called up their AGM at odd hours and he was always shown his willing to help in every possible manner.
Some time back i was considering selling off my Aria and TD every possible SUV in the segment. This is how i would rate my parents' reaction to space and comforts of Aria ( on a scale of 20)

Aria 20
XUV500 18
Fortuner 16
Innova 15
Scorpio 14
Endeavour 12

and the conclusion was to carry on with the aria, atleast my parents enjoy the car. Handling those issue is my headache.

BUT BUT BUT

Getting stranded thrice in a year is not acceptable by any standard. My faith in the product is completely gone. For the past 3 month the car is cooling it heels in the garage.

Last edited by bravo82in : 10th February 2013 at 21:57.
bravo82in is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 23:44   #59
BHPian

This is unbelievable for a flagship product from Tata. The Aria looks so impressive on the road and on paper. I really hope you get things sorted out. How is it that there are no other such reviews in a public forum? People should know of such major flaws. Can your repair invoices be scanned onto these pages? Would like to know there diagnosis and what what changed.

Quote:
Before I begin let me first summarize my ownership experience till date

Duration of ownership: 1 yr

Odometer: 28500 kms

Free services: 3 (1k, 5k and 15k kms)

Days Spent by the vehicle in various workshops: 60 and counting

Visits to workshop for running repairs: 10 and counting

Stranded by roadside: 3 times

A.31st Dec2011- Engine failed (Towed to workshop)

B 26th Aug 2012- ABS Malfunctioned (Towed to workshop)

C 8th Nov 2012- No apparent cause (Car goes in ‘limp-home’ mode)

Last edited by benbsb29 : 11th March 2013 at 06:11. Reason: Long post quote trimmed for benefit of mobile users.
Old 28th March 2013, 23:04   #60
BHPian

Quote:
...comforts of Aria ( on a scale of 20)

Aria 20
XUV500 18
I completely agree, the comfort of Aria is unbeatable. I test drove it few months ago and it was really amazing. Getting in/out was a breeze - my 7 month pregnant wife was able to manage without stressing herself out. I am planning to test drive the AT variant when it comes to the showroom.

But the biggest question I have is - will TATA give me the backup in terms of service quality and product quality after spending so much money.

TATA cars are build to last. Even the normal diesel mechanic at a village can decode the system (excluding the electronics).

Most Viewed