Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2012, 23:47   #136
BHPian

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. EDIT: Abarth vinyls & black roof added

Awesome job done Karthik! I was eagerly waiting for this post. The only faint concern would be the roof edges which does not seem completely covered in black. Still, it would be running for the hottest hatch in Bangalore!
kkstile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 00:02   #137
BHPian

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. EDIT: Abarth vinyls & black roof added

Fantastic work Karthik. Very professionally done for a DIY job

As Eminenttismo said, the plastic cladding looks carved out of CF. Good job by Sidhu sir and the 3M team.

That black gloss film is a nice touch but i guess the edges are a little exposed but nonetheless look classy.

The car now screams for smoke effect on the lights. You can also try to get the plastic silver strip on the dash painted in red like how cRaZy DrIvEr has done so it goes with the exterior.

Cheers and happy driving!!!
srinath34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 09:41   #138
Senior - BHPian

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

KarthikK, WOW!

This is how a Punto should look. (I may still cry for a 1.6MJD or 1.4 T-Jet heart)

Now procure 16 inchers (Alloys) of Linea Emotion.

Smoking of lamps (front and rear) may make the beast more butch. I recommend you to keep it as OEM.

There are n number of options available still for modding your Punto. But this is the best combination and you should pull the plug now to keep her stock, still unique.

Even said so, an Abarth logo for hood/boot is always welcome.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 14:01   #139
Team-BHP Support

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Woah bro not that your Punto Sports needed anything more to look good but these will only make it look Exceptional Im sure.

Please tell me you will be working on those Alloys soon to may be a Glossy black or something, which will complete the "Transformation" !!!
haha thanks Vikram! Alloys, as of now no budget. Need to wait for some more months before embarking on future adventures *lol*.

OT - You had sms'ed me some time ago, i noticed the unread message but my phone was hanging and finally died out that day. Unfortunately lost all the old numbers and messages when i formatted, you'll need to sms me again bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Superb !!!!!!
Can't describe more than this. Loved the black gloss film on a Red coloured car. Those Abarth stickers and the OEM 90hp sports sticker indeed matches and keep them as it is, nothing gaudy. Would like to see the car in flesh during any of the next tbhp quick meet.
Thanks a lot HighOctane! It'd be my pleasure to meet you during the next meet.

Quote:
And nice DIY job too. Next I suggest you to paint the radiator grill air vent grill from silver to black, it suits the black stickers and black mirrors.
rather than paint (I don't think I will tamper with any OEM parts), I was thinking of importing the Abarth Punto radiator grille as a spare part from UK. That way, I can just re-fit/swap back to the OEM part whenever I want. Problem is finding some godfather there who can courier the part to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Fantastic job Karthik, your car looks brilliant with all the stickers.
Thanks a lot shashank
Quote:
What's next Abarth styled headlamps and taillights ?
Would love to do those. They're available as spare parts in the UK, but they cost a truck load of cash. I'll need to lie low for a few months if I were to be able to afford those. Hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
Brilliant job mate, the alignment of the ABARTH stickers on the doors, the bumpers is precise. For a DIY, awesome job! Hope are very satisfied!
Thanks a lot Eminenttismo.
Quote:
Now the only thing you need is to take care of the chrome door handles & the silver front grille. Hope you take care of them.
Absolutely. I will stay away from repainting them though. I'll try to source the abarth spare parts and check if they can be retrofitted.

Quote:
The 3M guys have done a great job with the wiper plastic area, it looks carved out of CF.
those guys seriously have some talent. This plastic piece was sticking out like a sore thumb, and suddenly it is the highlight of the car's front now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
A wonderful DIY job Karthik.
The CF treatment is just wonderful...thanks for that
Thanks a lot hemanth.anand. We all know who was the inspiration for this , the very first Abarth Punto on team-bhp owned by a certain hemanth.anand. Thanks for answering those PM queries about the abarth customizations.

Quote:
Your car must be the most pampered one in town.
With all this pampering, the elder sibling must be feeling jealous now.
don't leave the two together. She might hurt the younger one
In fact, the T-Jet+ has been quietly lapping up important upgrades in the background *lol* . If you were following my other T-jet thread, the linea just got a set of michelin primacy LCs while the Punto was getting visual makeup. Next month's credit card bill will give me a royal cardiac arrest. Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Wow Karthik .
I think that's how you wanted your Punto to look , i still remember the discussion which we had while we were waiting for Avijit before going to Nikhil's marriage .
I guess only think which is left will be smoked headlamps .
thanks a lot supriyo ji. Yeah your Ritz is a huge inspiration on how hot hatches need to look like, definitely inspired this abarth punto mod set, hehe.
Quote:
Also , i remember when i got the roof of my car vinyled, the guy actually cut the vinyl in the such a way so that it has some xtra part in the edges and other area so that the edges can be properly covered .
Yeah supriyo, the fit and finish is a bit rough still, being a DIY. I'll see how I can cover that gap now. I tried taking extra length and sticking it there, but it bends at the place where the windshield starts and slowly the gum comes away. I need to figure out how to make that stay in place.

Quote:
As Vikram pointer out, you need to do something to those alloys yaar :-)
Also when is the RD thing happening ?
RD thing I will get it done after around 6-7k kms on the odo. Lot of people advised me to allow the engine to settle in fully before doing any remaps / tuning box fitments. Did you decide on yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Super pics there Karthik. Seriously the red punto looks a killer now. Hope no evil eyes fall on the car now.

Get the front grill and the fog lamps bessels painted black. And get the alloys powercoated black in color.

Smoked headlamps and tail lamps, if you can import these, just to ensure that everything can be reversed to stock set up except from front grill and bessels.
Thanks nkrishnap, i need to import the abarth grill and headlamps/taillamps I guess. They cost a bomb (20k for headlamp set and 10k for tail lamp set). I will have to start auctioning my belongings at this rate *lol*. Definitely planned for later next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkstile View Post
Awesome job done Karthik! I was eagerly waiting for this post. The only faint concern would be the roof edges which does not seem completely covered in black. Still, it would be running for the hottest hatch in Bangalore!
Thanks kkstile. Glad you liked it. The fit and finish on the front is a definite problem area, I admit. I'll visit some local shop and get that gap addressed by professionals. It seems to come out whenever i paste it near that windshield starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Fantastic work Karthik. Very professionally done for a DIY job

As Eminenttismo said, the plastic cladding looks carved out of CF. Good job by Sidhu sir and the 3M team.
Thanks a lot Srinath!

Quote:
That black gloss film is a nice touch but i guess the edges are a little exposed but nonetheless look classy.
yeah *lol*. I'll cover the exposed part with the help of some local accessory shops next week.

Quote:
The car now screams for smoke effect on the lights. You can also try to get the plastic silver strip on the dash painted in red like how cRaZy DrIvEr has done so it goes with the exterior.

Cheers and happy driving!!!
Yeah that red tape idea was very good by crazy driver. Makes it look like the interiors of a BMW 3 series sport edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
KarthikK, WOW!

This is how a Punto should look. (I may still cry for a 1.6MJD or 1.4 T-Jet heart)
Thanks a lot myavu.

Quote:
Now procure 16 inchers (Alloys) of Linea Emotion.
I actually have these on the t-jet, hehe. I was thinking of those scorpion claw alloys on the euro-spec abarth. If only wishes were notes *sigh*.

Quote:
Smoking of lamps (front and rear) may make the beast more butch. I recommend you to keep it as OEM.
I am not going to actually do any painting/smoking of OEM parts I guess. The best option is to keep the OEM parts aside, and retro-fit the Abarth Punto's parts. They are a direct bolt-on job and can be reversed anytime. Better option on a long term perspective, isn't it?

Quote:
There are n number of options available still for modding your Punto. But this is the best combination and you should pull the plug now to keep her stock, still unique.
Absolutely agree. For now, plug is pulled till I can save up some more cash to afford the real deal.

Quote:
Even said so, an Abarth logo for hood/boot is always welcome.
the decals are a good option. I will get them shipped from UK shortly. I want to do the entire decal set in 1 shot, whenever it happens - front grille badge, steering badge, rear badge, alloy wheel centre cap, etc. Fingers crossed.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 14:20   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Thanks a lot hemanth.anand. We all know who was the inspiration for this , the very first Abarth Punto on team-bhp owned by a certain hemanth.anand. Thanks for answering those PM queries about the abarth customizations.
Very first...probably yes, but as you wrote earlier, its not rare anymore. Now when people's heads turn, its only for a red rocket.

Quote:
In fact, the T-Jet+ has been quietly lapping up important upgrades in the background *lol* . If you were following my other T-jet thread, the linea just got a set of michelin primacy LCs while the Punto was getting visual makeup.
Good, you are saved

Quote:
Next month's credit card bill will give me a royal cardiac arrest. Ouch!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 14:26   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Very first...probably yes, but as you wrote earlier, its not rare anymore. Now when people's heads turn, its only for a red rocket.
I have seen 3-4 more white abarths lately in Bangalore, all inspired by yours surely. You were responsible for the revolution, absolutely no two ways about that . Mine is still half-baked, Indian-Italian cross breed Punto at the moment *lol*.

I'll need some more advice from the guru on completing the entire package like yours . Will PM you soon for more query/pestering sessions. Be prepared, hehe
Old 31st December 2012, 14:29   #142
BHPian

Looks really neat.

How much did the 3M strips come to?

I was at Sidhu's (3M) last weekend and I was contemplating covering up the plastic bits (specially the hood part) with that material.

Let me know how it holds up as well.
Even before the old year gets over, expenses for the next year are cropping up
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 17:29   #143
BHPian

Thats a really hot Punto Karthikk. Smoked headlamps with better alloys will make it a lot better. On the rear, try something on the lower portion of the bumper just like what hemanth.anand has done on his Punto. To give you an idea how it would look on a red Punto, I am attaching a pic of a Punto that I spotted in Switzerland. How much did the glossy vinyl on the roof cost you? And whats this shampoo water spraying method??
Attached Thumbnails
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dscn0018.jpg  

SUPERSPORT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 19:58   #144
BHPian

Wow! Loved every bit of your review and rightfully rated 5*s . Quite an exhaustive review at that, gives one an impression of actually being out there. First page itself took me quite a while to go through. Black Abarth stripes on red do stand out and are one of my favourite bits, the piece on the front bumper seems to start a little abruptly though.

You're ride looks enviably hot! Awesome work! Keep it up.
glenrox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 08:32   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Looks really neat.

How much did the 3M strips come to?

I was at Sidhu's (3M) last weekend and I was contemplating covering up the plastic bits (specially the hood part) with that material.
Thanks aqualeo2040. The CF work came to about 2k for the quarterpanels, B pillars and the bonnet plastic panel.

Quote:
Let me know how it holds up as well.
Even before the old year gets over, expenses for the next year are cropping up
I'll update any peel-offs on this thread, but a lot of people are using the CF wraps on different areas of their cars for long durations. It should last the distance I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
Thats a really hot Punto Karthikk. Smoked headlamps with better alloys will make it a lot better. On the rear, try something on the lower portion of the bumper just like what hemanth.anand has done on his Punto. To give you an idea how it would look on a red Punto, I am attaching a pic of a Punto that I spotted in Switzerland. How much did the glossy vinyl on the roof cost you? And whats this shampoo water spraying method??
Thanks a lot SUPERSPORT. Nice image there you gave for reference. I'll have to source one of the bumper spoilers from abroad I guess. The glossy vinyl came to around 4k (converted from dollars).

Shampoo solution? Mix 2-3 sachets of any shampoo in water spray can and spray that water on the surface before attempting to paste any stickers. It makes the surface slippery, and easier to align or move the stickers into the correct position. You can then use the squeegee and push out all the shampoo solution /air bubbles under the sticker. The shampoo doesn't affect the vinyl adhesive in any manner whatsoever. You might have seen some sunfilm shops using this spray when they fit tints on the windows. Its the same funda. Since the area of my stickers was pretty large, I didn't want to make any mistakes when pasting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenrox View Post
Wow! Loved every bit of your review and rightfully rated 5*s . Quite an exhaustive review at that, gives one an impression of actually being out there. First page itself took me quite a while to go through. Black Abarth stripes on red do stand out and are one of my favourite bits, the piece on the front bumper seems to start a little abruptly though.

You're ride looks enviably hot! Awesome work! Keep it up.
Thanks a lot Glenrox! I agree on the abrupt ending of the bumper stripe. In European Abarths, that fog lamp cluster is black colored, so that looks like a continuation of the black stripe. I'll have to do something about that in the next stage (when vitamin M permits)
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:01   #146
BHPian

Thanks for that shampoo solution method. I never thought it would work with the vinyls. I had pasted some matte black stickers on the front bumper of my Polo to make it look similar to the R-Line version. Although the sticker was small it took me around 3 hrs to paste it properly. Now I want to do something on the rear just like the above Punto and this technique will be of big help. Sticker guys agreed to paste and then cut the vinyls which would scratch the paint. With this technique I think I can handle it myself.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 21:16   #147
BHPian

What A Car!! Excellent review and Hats off mate!!

It looks absolutely out of this world. I guess even Fiat would go and look back and ask if its the normal Punto or the Abarth Punto.

A set of Sexy Allows and you and your Abarth Punto will be the talk of the town (If it isn't already).
sambhav.jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 14:19   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
Thanks for that shampoo solution method. I never thought it would work with the vinyls. I had pasted some matte black stickers on the front bumper of my Polo to make it look similar to the R-Line version. Although the sticker was small it took me around 3 hrs to paste it properly. Now I want to do something on the rear just like the above Punto and this technique will be of big help. Sticker guys agreed to paste and then cut the vinyls which would scratch the paint. With this technique I think I can handle it myself.
Well even the sticker pasting guys will have used the shampoo solution I am sure . They don't scratch the paint when cutting it. Most of them are experts, and are just making a depression with the blade, in the part of vinyl which they cut. They then tear off the unnecessary portion by hand. They don't actually press down the blade and scratch the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambhav.jain View Post
What A Car!! Excellent review and Hats off mate!!

It looks absolutely out of this world. I guess even Fiat would go and look back and ask if its the normal Punto or the Abarth Punto.

A set of Sexy Allows and you and your Abarth Punto will be the talk of the town (If it isn't already).
Thanks a lot sambhav.jain. Glad you liked it. I'll see how I can spruce up the alloys after a few days.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 15:52   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Thanks a lot sambhav.jain. Glad you liked it. I'll see how I can spruce up the alloys after a few days.
Bro you know what I am not trying to advise you on wat to do here but probably a small suggestion on how you can get started.

Remember what I did for my Getzy ?? I searched all over for an Alloy with Glossy black Spokes and a white lip but could not find any, atleast not in 14" & 15". So I just did the next best thing, got it custom painted.

May be its just me, but I feel Punto Alloys are not very classy in its OEM Avatar. So, if you would want to keep the design, just go ahead and change the color, may be U will get the 'Best of both'

You can actually get this job done at A1 Car Tires, right at the beggining of Siddapura road that leads to Ashoka pillar. The workmanship is really awesome.

Here is what I mean :

OEM - The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-13061486653109.jpg

Custom Paint - The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-20111002-14.52.03.jpg

Last edited by Vik0728 : 4th January 2013 at 15:58.
Vik0728 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 20:14   #150
BHPian

Karthik - Good news for you ! You might want to look this up - http://indianautosblog.com/2013/01/f...ssembled-59138

Xryder is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks