Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 00:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. EDIT: Abarth vinyls & black roof added

Brilliant brilliant write up and excellent coverage of everything about the car. Beats any thread here on TBHP for coverage in detail. I am dumbstruck for the first time after reading an ownership review on TBHP.

Great stuff

Congratulations on the little Maser, enjoy millions of safe & trouble free ownership with the Italian babe!

A request as from me as always to all Punto & Linea owners. Please get rid of those mudflaps, italian babe wearing workboot!

Last edited by anachronix : 21st November 2012 at 00:16.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 00:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. EDIT: Abarth vinyls & black roof added

Boy, was that a brilliant review !

Loved the attention to detail and the depth of coverage. Absolutely brilliant stuff. Rated 5*

I wish the Punto came with the European gearbox. That would have truly made this the 'most powerful D hatch'...

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 21st November 2012 at 00:19.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 03:31   #33
Team-BHP Support

You know what? I'm yet to finish the whole review - reached till the 3M episode, and - for the first time after buying my BNW Punto 90, you are making me think - why o why didn't I book the red one!

Such a beauty man! Nothing else in the Indian market comes close. I'll come back to the comments section again after reading the full review.

Love the coating on the mirror too. Sadly - i have two marks on the mirrors thanks to bikers. Will get it repainted next summer - and apply such a film to protect it.

(PS - Do you like the 'sport' sticker on the boot? I don't somehow. The rest of it really adds to the beautiful lines of the car though).

EDIT: I'm so glad to know someone found my review useful. Your review is now on a completely different level though. Amazing attention to detail!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st November 2012 at 03:46.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 10:19   #34
rbp
BHPian

Mind blowing review Karthik, now if you don't recall who I am, then recall that a N650 had come to meet you and Krishna Prasad, while you both were selecting the Punto from the stockyard .
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 11:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant ! Congratulations.

What a report Kartik. Fiat should use your report as a marketing tool actually. Easily, one of THE best ownership reports ever written on TBHP. 5 stars are not enough.

The opening of the thread is incredibly hilarious. Especially "Are you sure, this has a power steering, its so hard. My Swift's steering is better" LOL!

If I or anyone buys a Punto Sports in the near future, we are spared of taking lots of good quality pictures of the car. We will just embed your thread's link and tell everyone "For great quality pictures, refer to Kartik's thread".

Another interesting bit is the comparo between the JET and Punto. I totally agree with you on that one. Except the fuel part, JET is one of the best cars to own and drive in India. Waiting for your detailed comparison report.

Wishing you a safe and joyous and long journey with both your beauties.

Cheers!

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 21st November 2012 at 11:35.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 11:10   #36
MCR
BHPian

Wow, what a review (and what a car)!

The best looking hatchback in the country, even after 3 years since lauch. The black stickers does lend it a good look though. I am still amazed that not many people buy this car inspite of so many positives. The A$$ is defenitely not as bad as it is made to be. Alas!

Have a blast and enjoy your drive.

Last edited by MCR : 21st November 2012 at 11:18.
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 11:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Phew!! Karthik, that was long read. Pretty comprehensive in terms of the number of pictures you have put. Where is the location of the shoot? And many Congrats on getting the hatch. Time for RD
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 11:42   #38
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a lot for all the wishes and compliments. Glad to know it was liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Karthik,

I'm truly at a loss for words. What an incredibly compiled review. Easily among the top 5 Team-BHP Ownership-Reviews of all time. What this now needs is regular updates in the form of feedback and pictures. Sensational stuff!
That's a really nice compliment to hear . Thanks a lot, I'd be glad to know if it was helpful for anyone. I'll make sure I keep this thread updated with all my ownership updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Voila the "Jet's" younger Sibling is finally here. Congrats on this Bro and I have not clue what words to put in here man. Honestly, IMO mods can probably put this thread up in "2012 Punto Sport Offical Car review" or something. Mind boggling Photos and Information here Karthik. Hell, there are so many photos here that they are not even loading on my office network!!!!! LOL
Thanks a lot Vikram. Now, now you can't blame me. I had placed a disclaimer on the very post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Wonderful review Karthikk! I was compiling the review of my Punto but you have saved me from it. I don't think there is anything more that can be added to your review.

Since we own the same combination (T-jet + Punto), I would like to confirm some of my observations with you before taking it to TASS for check-up. After a long drive on both (back to back) I noticed:
  • Clutch is lighter on Punto
  • Ride is a bit bouncy at high speeds (only in relative terms to T-jet)
  • I used to think that ergonomics in terms of seat and pedal position will be same in both the cars however, after a long drive on Punto my right leg started aching. It has never happened with T-jet.
  • AC on Punto seems weak compared to T-jet.
Wish you many happy miles on both the cars!
Thanks a lot Biraj. I confirm all your observations are correct on my side as well, except for the right leg pain. The ergonomics are fantastic in the T-Jet, and the Punto's seating is slightly higher and more upright than the T-Jet. But I am 6'1" and don't get any pain even after 4 hours of traffic-jam driving. Perhaps you are too tall?? *lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Congrats Karthikk, i wish you ride lakhs of miles in it without any hassle. I remember you told me that you are going to remove the decals once you take delivery.
I personally loved those sport decals and it is something catchy compared to the normal multijet.
Thanks BulZire. I have decided to retain the decals for the next 1 year at least. In fact, I am more worried if someone else will pluck it away in public parking lots. Indicab drivers would love to pluck these and paste it on their 'Indicab Sports' editions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
Congrats Dude, this might be just one review that is easily among GTO's class ones, The photos are compiled in such a detailed and nice fashion, and though you claim to not being a fiat fanboy, i think the contrary!
Given you owned the Tjet, anything less would have felt flimsy, think this will be a big problem for current owners when they upgrade. Sad to see poorly aligned plastics still. Looking forward to your tasty mods, i think debadging your hatch is essential.
Drive safe.
Thanks a lot for the compliments, but I didn't understand the fanboy part. I would have probably chosen the Polo 1.6 TDI, if ever there was one available. As regards to the Punto, I've thrashed it where it deserved to be thrashed. Even if I didn't benchmark it against the T-Jet, the Fabia, i20 and Polo come with much better interior fit and finish at the same price range. That grey bathroom plastic, I wish they just get rid of it. It is the main thing ruining the interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
One heck of a review thread I say!!!! Not undermining the effort of Mods that goes into the official reviews or their knowledge, I would like to say that this could well serve as an official review for a Punto 90HP Sport/Punto 90HP(Save for the cosmetic changes)
Thanks a lot Driving_Nomad. But that honour shouldn't be given to a review done by an owner. To ensure the official review is truly 0% biased, it should always be done by a moderator and non-owner, regardless of brand or make.

Quote:
What I did not:
Nothing except for the fact that you're thinking of plonking a RD kit. Well, to each his own
merely to bump up power output and driveability, and to get rid of turbo lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
HI KarthikK,

Congrats for the beautiful car.May it serve you well.And great review too.
I have a doubt regarding the spoiler , it looks to me like the aftermarket spoiler available on JC road.The OEM spoiler i have seen on many cars looks a bit different http://www.fiat-india.com/fiat-accessories.aspx.

Has the OEM spoiler been changed to a different type for sport model ?
Well, Prerana motors did tell me there were 2 designs for the spoiler. The official one on the Fiat page needs holes to be drilled, which was mentioned by both the dealer and DRIV3R earlier on this thread. Thanks to both you and DRIV3R to point this out and keep me informed. The dealer did tell me mine was official Fiat accessory, so I got this one fitted. It isn't too much of a hassle since the one I have now does not touch / drill any body part. It is just sitting on bolted screws. I can disconnect it anytime by myself and get the 'actual' official FIAT spoiler next time I go to the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
You turned my boring evening to a fun-filled one, bud. Absolutely, loved your witty narration and some deep review of the red beauty. The only thing you missed is to dismantle the car and put it back

I have never been a fan of Fiat, till I saw your Black beauty and with this I'm floored. You must be made an ambassador of some sought.

Did you even bother taking the car to a temple to perform Pooja or did you drive it straight to the 3M workshop

Congrats again and Wish you miles of happiness. Hope to see your cherry in the next meet.

Cheers
Thanks a lot avinash, glad to know you enjoyed reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Hey KarthiK, congrats for the hot hatch buddy. What a comprehensive review it is. Deserves more than 5 stars.

Any reason why you didn't go for the 'Absolute Edition'. May be it was more than a 'make up' edition right ??
Thanks Abhi_abarth. Pleasure to know you found it good to read.
I didn't go for the Absolute edition since I was a bit apprehensive about the use of the GPS device that comes with the Absolute kit. I already have a MapMyIndia device in the T-Jet, which was bought last year. Plonking in another 14k for the absolute edition for just the GPS was overkill for me and the wallet. I can just switch the GPS windshield mount from car to car, since it (GPS) will never see simultaneous use (I am the only one who uses it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

And hey, with all those mods, won't it be injustice to pick the T over this on weekends & drive this on weekdays.

Well, would I be super confused? Maybe not. Would have retained the T-Jet & would have got something like KTM 390 for myself.

I know you would keep updating this & I would be looking forward to the updates.

Thanks for penning this comprehensive impressions. Deserves 5 *****

OT: The page got too heavy & the system slowed down somewhat :P
Thanks a lot Sheel. Oh no no, you drive a turbo petrol once and somehow, nothing else can better the drive experience
KTM 390 sounds good. I had a doubt between the Ninja 650R and the Punto. Later, I decided that I cannot use the Ninja for practical daily office commuting. Heck, I can't even park it in public for fear of it getting damaged / vandalized. Big bikes are best for weekend rides, in my opinion. What say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Firstly congrats on the red rocket and secondly thanks for sharing such a detailed review. Man you got some patience.

A well deserved 5 star rating for the review. The mods can move the opening posts to the official review section.

Your opening statement sums up what the market thinks about Fiat. Its an uphill task for Fiat to get this eroded.

What more can you ask. I want it the other way round. MJD Linea for daily use and Tjet Punto for weekend fun. I know I am dreaming about the Tjet Punto.

PS: I am still waiting to see your Red Rocket after you got it delivered. How long you gonna keep me waiting
Thanks a lot nkrishnap, for all your help in the purchase process. The waiting might end the next time we meet at 3M car care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Congrats on the 90. Very detailed review, is T-BHP recruiting?

I own a 75HP and a friend + BHPian bought a BNW 90HP Sports recently.

I could feel the punch from the VGT post 120kmph, which is kinda subdued and lazy in the 75. And the FE was also marginally better than the 75. Otherwise, the fit and finish were similar to the 75. And oh, the difference is 17PS between the two and not 18BHP.
Thanks a lot DRIV3R! Thanks also for mentioning the difference in VGT feel at higher speeds. I did not get to test the 75HP and 90HP head-to-head closely on highways, so this is very informative.

Quote:
One difference you did not highlight, or probably I missed is that the 75HP 2012 models come with a grey fabric trim on the door-pads while the Sports uses the black, as in the pre-2012 models.
I have not observed this earlier. Thanks for highlighting it.

Quote:
And am sorry to say that the spoiler fitted onto your car is not the OEM one. The OEM spoiler has an MRP of 4900INR (without paint) and can be fitted only by drilling the body, unless you shave the screws and holders off, and stick it on with a heavy dose of 3M double-sided tape, like I did.

This is a common practice with many dealers. The guy from KHT's accessories division tried to con me with a similar after-market spoiler while I had specifically asked for an OEM one. Politely refused his offer.

Go back to Prerana and demand for the OEM one, if you will.

Enjoy the 90, most FTD diesel hatch out there in this country yet.
Thanks for bringing this up and showing me pictures of it. Even ms_001 pointed this out. Prerana did show me pictures of the actual spoiler (the one that you have) and offered to fit that too. They told me the one I got was also a Fiat accessory, which seems to be wrong. Among the 2 designs, I went for this current one since there was no body modification required. It just bolts on with screws to the hatch door near the hinges. I can unscrew and remove it whenever I want. I might be tempted to go back and ask them for the actual OEM design, if I can see a Punto with this spoiler in the flesh.

A set of questions for you - since you mentioned that you have just stuck the spoiler with 3M tape, why didn't you get it fitted the conventional way (with drills) and how securely fitted is your spoiler currently? Also, does it rattle after trips on bad roads, etc? Would you recommend body fitting of the OEM spoiler to someone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Stupendo-fantabulously-fantastical review Karthik!!!

Loved reading every word of it. Now, I really miss being part of your PDI. I could have felt this beauty even closer (not that this review is no better).

Rating this 5 stars for sure.

Keep this thread alive with your experiences and various drives. Hope to catch you on one of the upcoming Bangalore meets.
thanks a lot Srinath34. We closely missed the meet-up at Prerana prior to my delivery, on a couple of occasions. I look forward to catching up with you at the next team-bhp meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Brilliant brilliant write up and excellent coverage of everything about the car. Beats any thread here on TBHP for coverage in detail. I am dumbstruck for the first time after reading an ownership review on TBHP.

Great stuff

Congratulations on the little Maser, enjoy millions of safe & trouble free ownership with the Italian babe!

A request as from me as always to all Punto & Linea owners. Please get rid of those mudflaps, italian babe wearing workboot!
Thanks a lot anachronix. Glad to know you enjoyed reading it! Removal of mud flaps. Hmmm.. Food for thought, hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
You know what? I'm yet to finish the whole review - reached till the 3M episode, and - for the first time after buying my BNW Punto 90, you are making me think - why o why didn't I book the red one!
The white would have been the choice for me, if only I hadn't had a history of white vehicles at home. Red was pleasantly different.

Quote:
Love the coating on the mirror too. Sadly - i have two marks on the mirrors thanks to bikers. Will get it repainted next summer - and apply such a film to protect it.
These bikers irritate when they try to squeeze through gaps between cars. I'll need to get this protection even on the 4 bumper corners. If they scrape accidentally, we can just peel the protection film strip and get new ones pasted. These strips take quite a bit of impact.

(PS - Do you like the 'sport' sticker on the boot? I don't somehow. The rest of it really adds to the beautiful lines of the car though).

Quote:
EDIT: I'm so glad to know someone found my review useful. Your review is now on a completely different level though. Amazing attention to detail!
Thanks a lot for the kind words CrAzY DrIvEr. Yours was the most useful 90HP thread I have ever read. continue the updations, and you can expect quite a bit of PMs from me every time I have any doubt about things in this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Mind blowing review Karthik, now if you don't recall who I am, then recall that a N650 had come to meet you and Krishna Prasad, while you both were selecting the Punto from the stockyard .
Thanks a lot! No way I can forget that rbp. You did help during the PDI for the brief period that we were there, thanks a ton for coming all the way to help. We'll try to catch up sometime for a proper photoshoot. I'll need some photography help from you, the way you have done for nkp's Linea, nothing less, mind you.

Last edited by bblost : 21st November 2012 at 12:45. Reason: removed extra emoticons
Old 21st November 2012, 12:48   #39
BHPian

KarthikK, superbly written and I enjoyed reading every bit of it . Appreciate the likes and dislikes section for each car and your elimination process, which I feel is based on your requirement, rather than emotional outburst, like many others. Many people do not consider this very fact and go for some car which many not be something that they really wanted. Wish you many happy miles on the new ride.
I would have gone for the Punto 90HP last year, but I went for the next best driver's car, the Figo, mainly due to A.S.S concerns (Lot of my friends are having Fiats, but still). I feel really sad that the HPS is a dying breed and there are not too many well calibrated EPS's available in the hatchback segment now. I prefer a meaty steering and surefooted handling (along with safety features, ofcourse) above other electronic gizmos.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 12:51   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Thanks a lot Biraj. I confirm all your observations are correct on my side as well, except for the right leg pain. The ergonomics are fantastic in the T-Jet, and the Punto's seating is slightly higher and more upright than the T-Jet. But I am 6'1" and don't get any pain even after 4 hours of traffic-jam driving. Perhaps you are too tall?? *lol*
Naah, though I usually don't mention my highness but it's 5'9" I guess it's more to do with my seating posture. It's even more reclined than the "P" in Punto. Need to correct it before doctor forces me to correct it.

Enjoy the miles!
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 13:21   #41
Team-BHP Support

Did I see 'new alloys' anywhere as part of the modifications?

I actually love those alloys on the Punto - but I feel its totally out of place here. That fabulous red paint job with those contrast black decals definitely deserves better wheels! I'm thinking black deep dish alloys with red lips.

Or - if you dont want to give up those stock rims - I suggest paint them black with a red lip.

Not convinced yet?

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-untitled.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 13:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Mind-blowing review and equally good pictures. Rated *****. I find this to be even better than the official review on this forum.

Your attention to detail is commendable. The numerous pictures and the jocular opening lines have really drawn my attention for the past hour or more.

I too had a good look at the Punto Sport a month ago when I was on the lookout for a diesel hatch. I saw a black one in the showroom with a red sticker, and man, what a beauty she was!! The interiors, including the dashboard, appeared far better than the other Puntos in the showroom. I'm not sure why you're bashing the two-tone colour on the dashboard, but anyways, to each his own.

The main reasons I resisted the urge and instead went in for a Figo were the infamous A.S.S. in Hyd (yes, I know some bhpians who've suffered due to non-availability of parts during warranty replacements), and its price tag of nearly 1.8 lacs over the Figo. I am very happy with Ford service as I own a Fiesta 1.6.And like you, I have similar feelings about the differences between the petrol Fiesta and the diesel Figo. But I must admit that the Punto still tugs my heart whenever I see one.

Wish you many,many miles of munching on your new beauty.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 15:06   #43
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your prized possession.
Your faith in Fiat is really heartening. Going against the tide you brought a second Fiat into your family.

Thanks for the superb and brilliant review of the Italian beauty. I was amazed at the details that you covered in the review. The pictures are equally superb and covers all angles and every aspect of the car including the foldable key and the manuals. I really appreciate your patience to pen down such an attractive review as also the time and effort that you must have spent to compile the same.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 20:02   #44
BHPian

Congrats KK! Excellent review. Not only do you owe us lunch but also a nice long drive with the new car. Woody's soon?
Bluu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 21:00   #45
BHPian

Wow, an absolutely detailed report. One can easily read the whole report and safely go and book the car without having a test drive. Congrats on the great car. True, you live only ONCE !
Accius is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks