Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2013, 12:46   #466
Team-BHP Support

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* 114 BHP & 250 Nm by Tune-O-Tronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hey Karthik, been a while since we met at 3M (was surprised you weren't there the last 2 weekends).

Btw, you almost had me in trouble for keeping close and performing vehicular stalking. On Wednesday evening when returning from office (and I choose the ORR because I had to go buy dinner). On a short-cut from ORR to join Old airport road, I saw this red Punto with Abarth decals and kept close, thinking it was you.

I saw the EsseEsse logo and the abarth logo and assumed it was you (missed to note there was no 3M carbon fibre vinyl on the lower part of the bumper). Tried overtaking the guy and also honked a couple of times, until i noticed the guy driving the car was someone else [with lots more hair]. Even then I then started thinking another family member must have been driving it. Only when I thought of not chasing the car, did I then spot the additional Abarth lightning decal and then the Team Fiat sticker, etc. Fortunately for me, I didn't make a fool of myself trying to stop the car.. Couldn't find your number on my phone so disturbed Sidhu and we laughed about it.

So there is more than 1 red Punto in B'luru with the Abarth decals. Time you did something more radical to easily identify your Abarth punto..
Long time no see Ajay! Quite funny to read your experience with 'another' Red Rocket . Identifying my car is easy: simply look for the Abarth which resembles the original Abarth the most - completely debadged, no 'Punto' decals or 90HP decals anywhere, no extra Abarth decals other than what is required for resemblance of the original. I have no t-bhp stickers on my car at all, just those tiny URL's below the number plate which are hardly noticeable.

Here's an original Abarth EsseEsse
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-untitled.jpg
Here's my version of the somewhat faux panels recreated with CF
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0951.jpg

Looks like this other chap you spotted has only replaced the logo badges, but left out the rest of the Abarth-ification, hehe.

Quote:
Btw, Sidhu and I knew you were planning up for further upgrades when you didn't show up 2 consecutive weeks. Your post about planned upgrades has validated our guess.
Haha. I was actually out on the road, doing trips with the elder sibling throughout these past 2 long weekends. I'll be back there for cleaning sessions to get the touring dirt out now. Hoping to catch you one of these days there. The major upgrades are still brewing on the horizon, 1700 km away for second service. Countdown begins! *winks*

Last edited by KarthikK : 19th August 2013 at 12:49.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 15:10   #467
Senior - BHPian

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* 114 BHP & 250 Nm by Tune-O-Tronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Long time no see Ajay! Quite funny to read your experience with 'another' Red Rocket . Identifying my car is easy: simply look for the Abarth which resembles the original Abarth the most - completely debadged, no 'Punto' decals or 90HP decals anywhere, no extra Abarth decals other than what is required for resemblance of the original. I have no t-bhp stickers on my car at all, just those tiny URL's below the number plate which are hardly noticeable.

Attachment 1126662
Attachment 1126661

Looks like this other chap you spotted has only replaced the logo badges, but left out the rest of the Abarth-ification, hehe.

Haha. I was actually out on the road, doing trips with the elder sibling throughout these past 2 long weekends. I'll be back there for cleaning sessions to get the touring dirt out now. Hoping to catch you one of these days there. The major upgrades are still brewing on the horizon, 1700 km away for second service. Countdown begins! *winks*
Aree baba, yes I do know how you modified your Punto and the decal works but like I said, in the interest of catching up with you, I failed to notice all the clear indications before I noticed it wasn't you driving. Only then it dawned upon me it wasn't your gaadi.

Good to know you were driving away instead of plotting sinister upgrades. Yeah, let's catch up soon. Maybe this weekend or next.

Last edited by k_ajay : 19th August 2013 at 15:12.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 08:27   #468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If it is a matter of fixing it with double sided tape, I can procure the part, get it painted at Vecto to Exotica Red, and do a DIY myself.
Excellent! You could also donate the non-OE spoiler to a poor guy with a white Punto. (No tax benefits under Section 80G though).
Quote:
I'm actually not looking for anything flashy or overly intricate. I just want something similar to the BMW 3 series sport line interiors: Black Napa leather with red lining and red stitches, like in this 320D Sport cockpit pictures below:
Exactly what inspired me as well! Inspired me so much - that an otherwise conservative guy like me ran to the sticker shop and did this -
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-20121001_101747.jpg

Loved the effect, but not the quality of work. You know what happened later-on. Can this strip be done in leather and stuck back with 3M tape?
Quote:
So it was the stock availability playing havoc with the nomenclature between Sport and non-sport?
Its called Fiat Punto Sport 93PS now.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th August 2013 at 08:52.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 09:04   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Loved the effect, but not the quality of work. You know what happened later-on. Can this strip be done in leather and stuck back with 3M tape?
Thanks, that's a nice preview of how it many look like in my car

3M tape is definitely capable of holding this but if you want this in leather, it can be stuck directly using glue.
I think this is how they do it if for example you need to clad the dashboard.
IMO 3M tape will add thickness and its not desirable in locations such as these

Quote:
I'll call mine "Fiat Abarth Punto Evo 2010 Tjet Sport 68PS"

Last edited by Eddy : 20th August 2013 at 13:31. Reason: Corrected typo
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 13:51   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1126662
Attachment 1126661
I was looking at your post and found that the CF work needs some tweaking to match it with "the original"

Some removal from the top and some addition on either sides.

I have tried to edit it in MSpaint for you. take a look at the below picture.

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-karthikk-abarth.jpg

Also, in the original esseesse, there are two vents on either sides of the rear bumper.
Just see if you can get an "Autographix" graphics sticker-the ones that are mostly pasted on the bonnets of cars.

Available in this page:
http://www.autographix.com/skin_design.php?ridetype=car
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-airintake1014c_e.jpg

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 20th August 2013 at 13:52.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 14:38   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I was looking at your post and found that the CF work needs some tweaking to match it with "the original"

Ummm, hmmm, Like the one below? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
Smoked Abarth Logo,
Attachment 1073892

Last edited by Eminenttismo : 20th August 2013 at 14:41.
Eminenttismo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 17:53   #472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Karthik, here's how the "Scandinavian" leather (second to Nappa grade) looks in less than 3 years. We got it done in Jan 2010, and when I showed it to them in July 2013, they gave me excuses like "Leather is old" pointing to the old stanley sticker, "You have not maintained it well" so told him i'd get it cleaned once in 4-5 months,atleast 3 times a year from them, so he said one needs to clean it 4 times a year!
Thanks a lot for the detailed pictures Shashank. Really appreciate the time taken to point out these flaws to a prospective buyer like me. I spoke to a couple of people who did have issues with Stanley like yours, and the unanimous opinion seems to be that they are arrogant as far as after-sales support is concerned, plus quality seems to be quite inferior for the prices they charge. I'll be heading to Karlsson instead, and will get them to customize the look and feel to the BMW 320D sport interiors look-alike version I have in mind. Thanks once again to you, Sagarpadaki and Robimahanta for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Excellent! You could also donate the non-OE spoiler to a poor guy with a white Punto. (No tax benefits under Section 80G though).
Be my guest! You may have to get it repainted to white though. Care of ComPaint?? *winks*

Quote:
Exactly what inspired me as well! Inspired me so much - that an otherwise conservative guy like me ran to the sticker shop and did this -

Wondering if doing this with 3M's red reflective tape will look cheap or sporty *lol*. If BMW 320D can pull it off, why can't a humble Punto??

Strip done in leather?? Good idea. you mean red leather with 3m DS tape?? Like Hemanth said, maybe it will increase the thickness of the strip to abnormal levels. Worth trying with some waste leather strips at some store.

Quote:
What do I call mine?? Abarth Punto Evo EsseEsse Sport MultiJet 115 PS?? Oops! I let one cat out of the bag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

Attachment 1127189

Also, in the original esseesse, there are two vents on either sides of the rear bumper.
Just see if you can get an "Autographix" graphics sticker-the ones that are mostly pasted on the bonnets of cars.

Available in this page:
http://www.autographix.com/skin_design.php?ridetype=car
Attachment 1127190
Quote:
Ummm, hmmm, Like the one below? :P
Definitely agree with both of you, thanks a lot. That faux panel needs some re-work in the shape. Eminenttismo also had pointed this out the very next day of me uploading the pictures. I'll get it re-done sometime when the folks at 3M have a low footfall day.

Thanks Hemanth for the autographix suggestion. I'll see if I can source one of these to create a replica of the air vents.

There is a place called Motormind which actually creates these bumper shapes and designs for a rather upmarket price. I would have gladly got these bumper jobs done by them, both at the front and the rear, instead of resorting to CF vinyl replicas. My main problem however, is that this car is used in choc-a-bloc city traffic everyday. Since the bumpers are the most vulnerable to scratches and nudges, one bad incident can lead to the entire bumper work (and spent money) going down the drain. Probability of nicks and nudges are very high on my commute too.

If it was any other car body part, I would have just gone to Motormind and let them do the panel carving work with real material. Since it is on the bumpers, I will be forced to get it done with CF and autographix.

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th August 2013 at 18:02.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 20:09   #473
BHPian

Quote:
What do I call mine?? Abarth Punto Evo EsseEsse Sport MultiJet 115 PS?? Oops! I let one cat out of the bag!
La, la la, la la

Pete's?
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 20:17   #474
BHPian

Quote:

La, la la, la la

Pete's?
115 sounds like Kiirus
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 20:45   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
115 sounds like Kiirus
Wow, I just went through their website and found they have package for Chevy Spark as well. Also, the T-JET's after tune rating is +26BHP, +38Nm.
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 23:16   #476
Senior - BHPian

My bet is Tune-o-tronics! Doesn't look like its Kiirus since they claim a 17bhp increase and that brings it to 107 bhp, so about a 110 PS

Last edited by shashank.nk : 20th August 2013 at 23:18.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 00:24   #477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Strip done in leather?? Good idea. you mean red leather with 3m DS tape?? Like Hemanth said, maybe it will increase the thickness of the strip to abnormal levels. Worth trying with some waste leather strips at some store.
I think it will look perfect if the stich can be done correctly around it. Agreed with the thickness issue- I'm sure it will look weird if the leather is just stuck on top. But I'm talking about removing the piece and getting the leather stitched on it.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 15:10   #478
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
La, la la, la la

Pete's?
Quote:
115 sounds like Kiirus
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
My bet is Tune-o-tronics! Doesn't look like its Kiirus since they claim a 17bhp increase and that brings it to 107 bhp, so about a 110 PS
Very close guesses to the real thing . The tune-up I am opting for is focused on acceleration through the low and mid range with and zero turbo lag, rather than top-end gains, since my usage is mainly inside the city. There will be top-end gains too. At the current level of tuning I'm planning, the folks gave me a rough estimate of 112-115 PS. It can even go upto 120PS within the allowed tolerance limits of components, but I will then have to compromise on low-end grunt. 115PS works well for me. More than paper figures, I'd prefer real world driveability *lol*

One thing is for sure though: regardless of the brand of tune-up, I promise an extreme level of details right down to the last bolt, documented in this thread as always. I'm planning on before / after runs on the Dyno, with all the information and statistics about improved performance, captured and presented here for the benefit of others.

The countdown continues... 1600 km left as on today!

EDIT : Shashank's guess is correct! *grins*

Quote:
Also, the T-JET's after tune rating is +26BHP, +38Nm.
T-O-T has a 150bhp remap for the T-Jet. I might go for that too, depending on how much I'm willing to risk reliability concerns on the elder sibling. I use the T-Jet extensively for highway runs, so reliability is of first priority as of now. On second thoughts, I'm out of regular warranty period now (2 years+) so I might try my hand at the 150bhp version soon as time passes by. I'm a fickle-minded guy as far as mods are concerned. Only time will tell *winks*

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st August 2013 at 15:20.
Old 21st August 2013, 15:22   #479
BHPian

Quote:
The countdown continues... 1600 km left as on today!
You took my suggestion on teaser campaign quite seriously. Now it's time for a Facebook page for your Punto.

I have been following the work done by Kiirus guys in a stealth mode and might opt for it (or other similar solution) once Crusoe's warranty expires.

I have another weird idea for you (not sure if it has been discussed earlier) - how about swapping the tyres of T-jet with Punto? 195/60/R15 is the std size for dynamic version so, wouldn't cause any damage to the Linea otoh, it might improve the ride quality further. With the bumped up power and torque, wider tyres will be good and also add to the aesthetic qualities of Punto. If you decide to paint it white, it might look a lot closer to the original stuff.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 16:40   #480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You took my suggestion on teaser campaign quite seriously. Now it's time for a Facebook page for your Punto.

I have been following the work done by Kiirus guys in a stealth mode and might opt for it (or other similar solution) once Crusoe's warranty expires.
I'm seriously contemplating the T-Jet work as well. With a turbo petrol, there is even scope for exhaust note improvement too . I love the stock T-Jet sound itself, just imagining what an aftermarket exhaust can sound like.

Quote:
I have another weird idea for you (not sure if it has been discussed earlier) - how about swapping the tyres of T-jet with Punto? 195/60/R15 is the std size for dynamic version so, wouldn't cause any damage to the Linea otoh, it might improve the ride quality further. With the bumped up power and torque, wider tyres will be good and also add to the aesthetic qualities of Punto. If you decide to paint it white, it might look a lot closer to the original stuff.
Nah, not touching the T-Jet for any kind of organ donation . It remains the pampered darling of the garage, and will enjoy the best equipment levels, hehe. Fear not, the Punto is getting a shoe upgrade too - Pirelli 205/55R15 to enhance braking distance and grip post-tune-up.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks