Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 02:32   #46
BHPian

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. EDIT: Abarth vinyls & black roof added

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Well, Prerana motors did tell me there were 2 designs for the spoiler. The official one on the Fiat page needs holes to be drilled, which was mentioned by both the dealer and DRIV3R earlier on this thread. Thanks to both you and DRIV3R to point this out and keep me informed. The dealer did tell me mine was official Fiat accessory, so I got this one fitted. It isn't too much of a hassle since the one I have now does not touch / drill any body part. It is just sitting on bolted screws. I can disconnect it anytime by myself and get the 'actual' official FIAT spoiler next time I go to the dealer.
The Prerana accessory shop did the same to me. Gave an aftermarket spoiler even while I had repeatedly asked for the genuine FIAT spoiler. The genuine one needs holes to be drilled whereas this aftermarket one has the side clamps. This was pointed out to me in another forum and I promptly got it removed and got my money back. The thing is that even though it can be removed, those clamps and screws can leave nasty scratches and marks and more opportunity for rust to settle.

Another thing I would advise is not to go in for any tuning box. AFAIK, the box is just a way to fool the ecu to pump up the rail pressure. Instead may be get a proper engine remap done. I have got my car remapped by Tune-O-Tronics and it is nearly zero turbo lag now and just needs a tap of accelerator to respond beautifully in 1000-1500 range. The T-O-T fellows will tune your car according to your needs over the lifetime of your association with the car for a one time fee. It is entirely reversible as they keep the stock map as backup and ensure steps to prevent reprogramming detection.
sourav21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:43   #47
Team-BHP Support

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. EDIT: Abarth vinyls & black roof added

Quote:

Thanks a lot Sheel. Oh no no, you drive a turbo petrol once and somehow, nothing else can better the drive experience
Guess what? I drove a T Jet+ yesterday. A BHP ian johy loaned me one. I will put the impressions in its rightful thread and honestly, it blew me away.

Quote:
KTM 390 sounds good. I had a doubt between the Ninja 650R and the Punto. Later, I decided that I cannot use the Ninja for practical daily office commuting. Heck, I can't even park it in public for fear of it getting damaged / vandalized. Big bikes are best for weekend rides, in my opinion. What say?
KTM isn't your regular faired bike, hence the aam junta (hopefully) won't fiddle much.

I know how much it rains in Bangalore, so maybe taking the bike to office might not work out.

If you have secure parking and don't commute in 1st gears, a big bike will do the job.

Recreational sprints? Nothing would better it. Imagine doing 100kmph in 1st gear & on some even 100MPH is dusted in 1st as well.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:38   #48

Quote:
The crime that prompted these hate messages : I had messaged a bunch of my friends and cousins the previous night, informing them that I bought the Fiat Grande Punto Sport.
I recently got a Punto (75bhp) and can relate to this. Right from my wife, friends, colleagues to the banker(!!) and tyre shop fellows, everyone was like 'Fiat??! why not Swift'. All I could say was heart over mind.
achitrab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:54   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Brilliant ! Congratulations.

What a report Kartik. Fiat should use your report as a marketing tool actually. Easily, one of THE best ownership reports ever written on TBHP. 5 stars are not enough.

The opening of the thread is incredibly hilarious. Especially "Are you sure, this has a power steering, its so hard. My Swift's steering is better" LOL!

If I or anyone buys a Punto Sports in the near future, we are spared of taking lots of good quality pictures of the car. We will just embed your thread's link and tell everyone "For great quality pictures, refer to Kartik's thread".

Another interesting bit is the comparo between the JET and Punto. I totally agree with you on that one. Except the fuel part, JET is one of the best cars to own and drive in India. Waiting for your detailed comparison report.

Wishing you a safe and joyous and long journey with both your beauties.

Cheers!
Thanks a lot Ajay, for the wishes and the help on the 'what car?' thread! Glad you enjoyed reading this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Wow, what a review (and what a car)!

The best looking hatchback in the country, even after 3 years since lauch. The black stickers does lend it a good look though. I am still amazed that not many people buy this car inspite of so many positives. The A$$ is defenitely not as bad as it is made to be. Alas!

Have a blast and enjoy your drive.
thanks MCR. Definitely agree with you on the servicing part. I was an ex-hyundai and ex-Maruti guy too, and I found Prerana to be much better than the other 2 brands. The servicing staff are friendlier, more accommodative and eager to help.

I believe the service scene is not so rosy in NCR, Maharashtra and other regions. Hope Fiat works on that when they go independent from next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Phew!! Karthik, that was long read. Pretty comprehensive in terms of the number of pictures you have put. Where is the location of the shoot? And many Congrats on getting the hatch. Time for RD
Thanks motomaverick! The location of the shoot is Kanva reservoir backwaters . There's acres and acres of grass meadows beyond the actual dam, and the only company (that's also rare) you can find is sheep grazing. Try going there sometime for car photoshoot sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
KarthikK, superbly written and I enjoyed reading every bit of it . Appreciate the likes and dislikes section for each car and your elimination process, which I feel is based on your requirement, rather than emotional outburst, like many others. Many people do not consider this very fact and go for some car which many not be something that they really wanted. Wish you many happy miles on the new ride.
I would have gone for the Punto 90HP last year, but I went for the next best driver's car, the Figo, mainly due to A.S.S concerns (Lot of my friends are having Fiats, but still). I feel really sad that the HPS is a dying breed and there are not too many well calibrated EPS's available in the hatchback segment now. I prefer a meaty steering and surefooted handling (along with safety features, ofcourse) above other electronic gizmos.
Thanks a lot A350XWB! Really glad to know you enjoyed going through it. I find HPS so much more enjoyable and like you said, very few cars come with it nowadays. Congrats on the Figo, it is one hell of a pocket rocket. I particularly enjoyed driving it with its lag-less eagerness to dart around. The handling and ride quality were also superb! Enjoy lots of miles with the Figo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Did I see 'new alloys' anywhere as part of the modifications?

I actually love those alloys on the Punto - but I feel its totally out of place here. That fabulous red paint job with those contrast black decals definitely deserves better wheels! I'm thinking black deep dish alloys with red lips.

Or - if you dont want to give up those stock rims - I suggest paint them black with a red lip.

Not convinced yet?
That's a droolworthy proposition, if only I had the money to blow up now *lol*. I need to save up vitamin M again for a few months to reach normalcy. Thanks for taking the time out to show me a sample in PS. The black alloys look magnetic on the red. Have you seen the black metal 'Scorpion claw' alloys on the abarth version abroad? They look charismatic. Wondering if we can find something like that on 98pcd size

Here's how it looks (also available in black metal):
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-fiat500usaabarth_punto_evo_brakes.jpg
Interested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Mind-blowing review and equally good pictures. Rated *****. I find this to be even better than the official review on this forum.

Your attention to detail is commendable. The numerous pictures and the jocular opening lines have really drawn my attention for the past hour or more.

I too had a good look at the Punto Sport a month ago when I was on the lookout for a diesel hatch. I saw a black one in the showroom with a red sticker, and man, what a beauty she was!! The interiors, including the dashboard, appeared far better than the other Puntos in the showroom. I'm not sure why you're bashing the two-tone colour on the dashboard, but anyways, to each his own.

The main reasons I resisted the urge and instead went in for a Figo were the infamous A.S.S. in Hyd (yes, I know some bhpians who've suffered due to non-availability of parts during warranty replacements), and its price tag of nearly 1.8 lacs over the Figo. I am very happy with Ford service as I own a Fiesta 1.6.And like you, I have similar feelings about the differences between the petrol Fiesta and the diesel Figo. But I must admit that the Punto still tugs my heart whenever I see one.

Wish you many,many miles of munching on your new beauty.
Thanks a lot for the compliments vnabhi. I agree with you on the servicing part. If your city does not have competent service centres, there is no point getting into the slush and dirtying your hands knowingly.

the Fiesta/Figo combinations sounds like another powerhouse couple. The Figo is really way more pleasurable in the city. I wish you many many miles of driving with the 2 Fords, will be keeping an eye on your ownership reviews as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Congratulations on your prized possession.
Your faith in Fiat is really heartening. Going against the tide you brought a second Fiat into your family.

Thanks for the superb and brilliant review of the Italian beauty. I was amazed at the details that you covered in the review. The pictures are equally superb and covers all angles and every aspect of the car including the foldable key and the manuals. I really appreciate your patience to pen down such an attractive review as also the time and effort that you must have spent to compile the same.
Thanks a lot Sommos. Glad you enjoyed reading through it *smiles*.

Time and effort - well not much really. The photoshoot took around 4-5 hours, and the writing was done in stages, 2 hours per day X 6 days. That was it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
Congrats KK! Excellent review. Not only do you owe us lunch but also a nice long drive with the new car. Woody's soon?
Gotcha! Kizashi test drive and treat also coming up soon, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accius View Post
Wow, an absolutely detailed report. One can easily read the whole report and safely go and book the car without having a test drive. Congrats on the great car. True, you live only ONCE !
Haha thanks a lot Accius! I agree with you on the last line, wholeheartedly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav21 View Post
The Prerana accessory shop did the same to me. Gave an aftermarket spoiler even while I had repeatedly asked for the genuine FIAT spoiler. The genuine one needs holes to be drilled whereas this aftermarket one has the side clamps. This was pointed out to me in another forum and I promptly got it removed and got my money back. The thing is that even though it can be removed, those clamps and screws can leave nasty scratches and marks and more opportunity for rust to settle.
I'll request them to take it back and replace it with the genuine Fiat accessory this weekend. Thanks once again to you, DRIV3R and ms_001 for pointing out this to me.

Quote:
Another thing I would advise is not to go in for any tuning box. AFAIK, the box is just a way to fool the ecu to pump up the rail pressure. Instead may be get a proper engine remap done. I have got my car remapped by Tune-O-Tronics and it is nearly zero turbo lag now and just needs a tap of accelerator to respond beautifully in 1000-1500 range. The T-O-T fellows will tune your car according to your needs over the lifetime of your association with the car for a one time fee. It is entirely reversible as they keep the stock map as backup and ensure steps to prevent reprogramming detection.
I am just worried about the warranty going bust if something happens. With a tuning box, I can still disconnect it while giving it for service, and no one will come to know. Also, what happens if the OBD detects changed map values on the ECU?? Any thoughts on this? How does the tuner backup the OEM values? just curious to know. Does he store it with him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Guess what? I drove a T Jet+ yesterday. A BHP ian johy loaned me one. I will put the impressions in its rightful thread and honestly, it blew me away.
There you are now!

Quote:
KTM isn't your regular faired bike, hence the aam junta (hopefully) won't fiddle much.

I know how much it rains in Bangalore, so maybe taking the bike to office might not work out.

If you have secure parking and don't commute in 1st gears, a big bike will do the job.

Recreational sprints? Nothing would better it. Imagine doing 100kmph in 1st gear & on some even 100MPH is dusted in 1st as well.
Sounds brilliant, but still only as a weekend bike to me. We neither have sheltered parking in office, nor are we blessed with predictable weather in Bangalore *lol*. Moreover, the office commute is around 25-30km one way, with choc-a-bloc traffic throughout. I'm sure my knees will get roasted with big bikes in traffic, plus I can't get beyond 1st-2nd gears for sure. I'll definitely PM you for bike doubts very soon, and trouble you, will need some help in decision making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achitrab View Post
I recently got a Punto (75bhp) and can relate to this. Right from my wife, friends, colleagues to the banker(!!) and tyre shop fellows, everyone was like 'Fiat??! why not Swift'. All I could say was heart over mind.
Hehe that's true. In fact, most people seem to associate the word 'Fiat' with a Premier Padmini, even today, hence my opening picture. They think Fiats are as bad, unreliable, outdated or technology-less as Padminis of yesteryear. Hardly anyone believes you if you say Fiat is the one who supplies engines for Maruti's diesel cars. For their own good, I wish Fiat starts advertising themselves as innovators and as the makers of Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Maserati, just to enhance brand image in developing markets.

Last edited by KarthikK : 22nd November 2012 at 14:01.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:40   #50

Quote:
Hehe that's true. In fact, most people seem to associate the word 'Fiat' with a Premier Padmini, even today, hence my opening picture... For their own good, I wish Fiat starts advertising themselves as innovators and as the makers of Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Maserati, just to enhance brand image in developing markets.
Your first two pics are quite apt for the post

If you've noticed a Shell Helix ad, where they show lot of Ferraris and then finally showing a guy filling Shell in a car - which is a Punto! Though not sure how many people can relate that. Adding to what you mentioned about advertising, I feel the message should percolate down to sales & service. Needless to say, I didn't have an encouraging buying experience and Fiat after-sales service is well documented. And it's the service which the banker quoted when advising me against it.
achitrab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:49   #51
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Karthik! Took a while to complete reading through the whole review, but worth the time indeed. Simply one of the best ownership reviews we have on Team-bhp! Thank you

I particularly liked the last line of the review – Turbo diesel for the weekdays and turbo petrol for the weekend. Nice

Drive safe, and keep updating the threads (this one, and the T-Jet).
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:56   #52
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase Sir!
This was indeed a remarkable review, and I really wish Fiat India Limited considers the points mentioned here seriously. Punto is an underrated car simply because Indians won't approve of the company.
Even with so many hatchbacks in the market today, it's difficult to spot any car which has a character- most of them sell because of the manufacturer's goodwill or the useless electronics they come with. Fiat has consistently delivered quality products which only a few can truly appreciate.
I wish you many happy years with this beauty.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 18:34   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Exteriors :

While Fiat has increased the ground clearance to a crossover's standards (185mm), it comes at a price. Note the ugly gap between the tyre and the wheel arch, noticeably ugly at the rear.

The chrome exhaust looks like a hideous aftermarket job and ruins the rear profile to an extent. Not only does it hang too low and pose a GC problem, it also sticks out like a sore thumb.
I agree to you on the chrome exhaust tip. How can FIAT even think of selling this as an OEM

Also I find the Mud guards too shoddy and ill-fitting. Just look at the fitting & attention-to-detail given on the mudflaps of its rival VW Polo! I mean even a Maruti Alto comes with better looking & fitting mud-guards!
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:16   #54
BHPian

Fantastic review kartik..
Some points to few things FIAT needs to address immediately:

1. Provide proper Pre-Sales experience, in terms of enthusiastic sales person who really with to sell the car highlighting the features.

2. Handle the Service appropriately. This alone will take care of lot of issues. Basically, FIAT makes good cars, but that alone will not be enough unless you know someone would take care of it. Not everyone can handle a FIAT unless he knows what he is doing, Maruti/Honda for e.g. are much easier to take care.

Being a FIAT Owner my self I sometimes am just not convinced to use it as a daily car, for the fear that if something happens mid way to office or at night what will happen? Not that they are bad cars ? But even if the service center person comes to inspect the car, can I trust him to solve the problem and not screw up..

All things said One thing is Certain..
On Highway beyond 100kmph, FIAT automatically brings smile on your face whenever you drive. That Finally beats all apprehensions and is WELL WORTH IT !!

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 20:02   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK

Who the heck thought of providing 165/80R14 tyres as spare for a car which has 4 other 195/60R15 tyres and is supposedly a 'Sport' version? Worse still, an Emotion 75HP Punto which costs 60k lesser than my car comes with spare 195/60R15 tyres (steel wheels though), while I get skinny, garbage quality JK Tornados for being a 'premium' customer paying close to 9L of hard earned money. If you cannot provide me a spare alloy, that is fine. At least provide me the same size in a steel rim (like the Emotion). If you still cannot, please don't insult the 'Sport' customer by offering it to the 'Emotion' customers.

@ KarthikK, did you check this in other cars also while doing PDI? I feel the spare tyre with 195/60 R15 size must have been exchanged with some other active/dynamic version tyre.

When I got my 90HP in August 2011, it came with 195/60 R15 spare tyre. If you take this up with Fiat, you may get a exchange with the right size.
Rufus_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 20:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M

@ KarthikK, did you check this in other cars also while doing PDI? I feel the spare tyre with 195/60 R15 size must have been exchanged with some other active/dynamic version tyre.

When I got my 90HP in August 2011, it came with 195/60 R15 spare tyre. If you take this up with Fiat, you may get a exchange with the right size.
Nopes.

Post April 2012, all Puntos come with a 165 section 14 inch as spare.

Its purely a cost saving measure by Fiat.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 21:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hi Karthik, since we are on the topic of Spoilers, here is a little pictorial of what I did to the OEM one. (I do not like drilling holes on her, did not even do it for the license plates)

Please refer the Part number and the MRP in the below pic:

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-part_no.jpg

This is how the spoiler looks, unpainted, two screws [metal] and two place-holders [fibre], and a bit of 3M double-sided tape. [Red bits]

The roll you see nearby is the 3M double-sided tape I purchased, it costed around 400INR. Very useful, stuck both the number plates with those, and now the spoiler.

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-before.jpg

This is how the spoiler looked after I gave my dose of 3M tape to hold the spoiler.

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-after.jpg

After which, I shaved off the screws and the place-holders, and got it painted.

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-com-paint.jpg

Then, just peel the stickers, aim and stick it up.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:27   #58
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant Review Karthik. I'm in loss of words. I'm dedicating the entire day tomorrow to read your ownership report in detail. The Red Rocket looks stunning. Eagerly waiting to see your red rocket take off on Sunday during our meet. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful detailed report.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:35   #59
BHPian

Karthik, A great review and congrats on your purchase. You definitely have the most beautiful twins in your garage. Given that you have both Linea and the Punto, I want to ask you a question. With regard to highway drive ability in terms of ride, handling, body roll and high speed composure, I know Linea is definitely better than the Punto any day. But just comparing the two, does Punto give a close competition to the Linea or do you think Linea is in a different league completely.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:27   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful!

You have worn the boxing gloves whenever some bashing was needed and held a paint brush wherever the need arised to portray this beautiful machine.
This is what is called "detailed and unbiased".
Why are not writing in any auto magazines? Or may be that is exactly the reason why you are not

The hate SMS at the beginning and "what I thought, what people thought, what atually was..." set the tone for a beautiful report.
Voted 5 stars (had written *****, but looked offensive LOL!)

Quote:
On the driver side, right below the MyCar2 and fog lamp controls, there is an open storage area, and this is again largely useless and more cosmetic. Tickets fall out, and coins jump out on bad roads.
Its not a storage space at all IMO, its a mere handle for us to pull out that plastic piece to access the OBDII port and the fuse box

Quote:
The A-pillar is not too wide and doesn't provide much room for blind spots
First person I've found saying this. Hope you've got plain human eyes *grinning green fella* (courtesy IRONH4WK)
Although I've got used to driving with this A-Pillar, don't think it is "not too wide"
I've missed autorickshaws behind these pillar a couple of times.

As far as the OE spoilers are concerned, you can see it in flesh when we meet!

The 3M treatment that you got for your mirrors are very good I must say.
I thought about it but after more than 2 years in Bangalore, my car has way too many scratches to be "protecting" anything
The other day when I was in 3M, a guy was getting it done for the entire car for just 45K...yes you heard it right Rs 45000/- (Of course that car was a Range Rover Evoque)

In this detailed review I'm astonished to see that you've missed the fool-proofing done for the rear seat belts.
In case you don't know about this, each sealtbelt latch locks only with its lock.

All the best with your new latest rocket.
My T-jet Abarth is eagerly looking forward to meet both of your jets
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed