Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2013, 09:51   #151
Team-BHP Support

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

@XRyder: Let them launch the brand and showrooms here. I will go inside Abarth studios and shock them with my fake Abarth .

On the ownership updates, I'm approaching 3000kms on the odometer. No new niggles faced so far, and the ownership experience continues to be delightful. There are a couple of trips coming up, but I will be taking the Punto instead of the T-Jet to speed up and reach the 5000 km first service hurdle. I want to get this landmark done with quickly and go for the engine oil change.

On a different note, on January 26th weekend, I am planning for a photoshoot of the siblings with my friend's help. I will take some photos of various aspects of both cars and write a comprehensive comparo thread which should go live in early February : Clash of the (sub-15L) enthusiast segment titans : Linea 1.4 T-Jet v/s Punto 1.3 MultiJet VGT. Timepass read of a pointless battle.

Watch this space for more ownership updates

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th January 2013 at 09:59.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 13:12   #152
Senior - BHPian

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
On a different note, on January 26th weekend, I am planning for a photoshoot of the siblings with my friend's help. I will take some photos of various aspects of both cars and write a comprehensive comparo thread which should go live in early February : Clash of the (sub-15L) enthusiast segment titans : Linea 1.4 T-Jet v/s Punto 1.3 MultiJet VGT. Timepass read of a pointless battle.

Where is the photo-shoot planned ? Spectators allowed for the same .

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 14:00   #153
BHPian

Hello Karthik,
Late to join this thread.
It took me some time to go through this ownership review and I would say , the time spend on this review was worth it !
I appreciate your effort in maintaining both your rides in such a great manner.
Your Italian beauty looks stunning.
Waiting for the photo updates of your rides next photo-shoot.
Drive Safe !
VishnuNarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 14:09   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post

Where is the photo-shoot planned ? Spectators allowed for the same .

Cheers
Schoudhury bhaiyya, please include me also in that "Spectators".

And if we both are lucky enough, Karthik Bhaiyya may offer our Steads a role in the photoshoot!!
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 17:09   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Schoudhury bhaiyya, please include me also in that "Spectators".

And if we both are lucky enough, Karthik Bhaiyya may offer our Steads a role in the photoshoot!!
Updating the spectator and "special-appearance-aspirant" list

1. SChoudhury
2. Vik0728
3. hemanth.anand
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 12:30   #156
Senior - BHPian

Karthik,
Congrats for your new car though am aware that am the very last guy to have done it for you. Envy your garage with the 2 turbos out there. Understandably I guess you were upset with the waiting list for the swift I suppose.
Man you do maintain your whips too good. Why is the TB not getting a similar treatment?
Nice Choice for sure
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 12:42   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Karthik, any chance of an RD box getting under the hood of Punto to match the bite of your T-Jet, after 5K service?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 13:10   #158
Team-BHP Support

I complete exactly 3 months of ownership and the odo stands at 4600 km today. Ownership update pending tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Karthik,
Congrats for your new car though am aware that am the very last guy to have done it for you. Envy your garage with the 2 turbos out there. Understandably I guess you were upset with the waiting list for the swift I suppose.
Thanks a lot Mahesh. Yeah I was a bit irritated by the way things were being handled at Maruti this time around, so switched base and I think I ended up getting a better option too with the 90HP VGT version of the same engine, more bang for the buck.

Quote:
Man you do maintain your whips too good. Why is the TB not getting a similar treatment?
Nice Choice for sure
Thanks a lot. TB is getting a weekly treatment at home with polishing. Like we were discussing the other day, I guess someone needs to come up with some bike detailing centres, there are far too few of them here, aren't they??

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Karthik, any chance of an RD box getting under the hood of Punto to match the bite of your T-Jet, after 5K service?
Definitely on the cards , but not sure about the 5k mark though, I'm already at 4.6k, so maybe I will get it in a couple of thousand kms more. I'm waiting for them to bring out that dual channel box for the VGT Multijet engines, which are supposed to be better than the previous gen D-tronic boxes. I think they are testing it now, and getting it ready for launch, as per the information in the RD thread. Are you planning one on the Swift too? Swift D with a better tuned gearbox will turn out to be a lot of fun *winks*

Last edited by KarthikK : 31st January 2013 at 13:24.
Old 31st January 2013, 13:30   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like we were discussing the other day, I guess someone needs to come up with some bike detailing centres, there are far too few of them here, aren't they??
Guess Nirmal Narayan must be able to detail even bikes from what I understand. He has done a few superbikes and am sure he will be very keen to help you out with the detailing.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 00:02   #160
Team-BHP Support

I just completed 4600 km, and thought I must put up an update here on this thread before I send the Punto in for the first service (5000 km). I wanted to do this at 4000 km, but anyway here goes:

A picture of the odometer taken at 4000, but it has been 7 days since then, and I have quietly lapped up another 600km.
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0059.jpg

On average I am doing 70 km per day. Thanks to the fuel efficiency of a diesel, using this car for office commuting puts me at peace when I go to the bunk to tank up.

A lot has been happening on the Punto's side of things since my last update. I have done 2-3 highway trips to maximize the running and accelerate the first service. The Punto was taken on a long trip to Chikmagalur and thereabouts (total round trip 700km), the travelogue is currently on the Assembly line and should find its way out in a couple of weeks. For teasers, here is a snap of the Punto from that trip:
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_1598.jpg

There were a couple of other highway drives, including one with its elder sibling. I did manage to do a photoshoot of the T-Jet / MultiJet siblings and I am composing a very detailed comparo thread of the 2 enthusiast cars. This thread is also on Assembly line and should go live around the end of Feb, delay thanks to a hectic work schedule
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0473.jpg

On the merchandise front, I recently got a Fiat keychain from Ebay to go with the desmodronic foldable remote key. It is a clear fake, costs 300 bucks ONLY, but suffices to up the glam quotient . The red is not so frightfully RED in reality, I guess the camera flash has caught it at the wrong angle *lol*
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0475.jpg

Ownership updates :

- The good luck of the T-Jet has rubbed off on its younger sibling. With 3 months of driving in choc-a-bloc traffic, with extreme care, the car has had absolutely zero scratches/blemishes. Touchwood! Hope it remains this way for as long as possible.

- The engine refinement has improved considerably, in fact by leaps and bounds. It almost feels like a petrol engine now, and passengers will hardly have any reason to suspect otherwise, unless you tell them it is a diesel.

- Driveability has improved along with the engine refinement. The engine is starting to open up now. The VGT is more eager to dart ahead, spools up earlier (around 1500 rpm) and is miles ahead of FGT turbo driveability. The VGT turbo feel is inclined more towards linear, smoothened acceleration which is better suited in traffic.

- The OEM tyres (Apollo Aceleres) are starting to get a bit noisy. Normally I wouldn't have noticed, but the minute I step into the T-Jet (which has Michelin Primacy LC) and step back into the Punto, the difference in noise is clearly observed. I'm putting a tyre upgrade on the anvil.

- Fuel efficiency in the city with peak traffic has improved to 15-16 kmpl with A/C on. I couldn't ask more than this really. This could also partly be because I switched to a longer route to office, via an interior state highway along agricultural fields, rather than the conventional Ring road with snail pace traffic.

- The 185mm Ground clearance is fantabulous on bad roads. I encountered treacherous roads during my recent trip, and the car didn't scrape anywhere. On the same road, my T-Jet would have hit its belly in 7-8 places. I can take the Punto anywhere and everywhere. Even Ladakh roads should be manageable with 185mm.

Niggles :

- This list would have been empty, but for that trip which I did to Chikmagalur. The roads to the Estate where I stayed were pretty treacherous, and doing those roads 4-5 times during our stay there, caused only ONE rattle - the left side front glass window when completely wound down makes a rattling sound (glass on metal) on very bad roads. Even this, if I wind up the glass (which I anyway do since I use A/C 100% of the time), it is not perceptible. I prefer my cars to be 100% super silent, and even the slightest rattle/sound annoys me. I'm going to get this rattle issue rectified during service.

That's it! Absolutely zero niggles faced during the 5000 km of ownership in my garage!

Other issues to be brought up at first service :

- I mentioned this in one of my previous updates - the driver side window makes some faint 'click' sound when it is being wound up. I suspect this is due to some dust near the power window motor assembly. I'll have it cleaned up during servicing.

- Due to frequent handbrake usage in choc-a-bloc traffic, the handbrake has become a little loose, in that it allows the car to crawl in the first position of locking. I will get it tightened during the first service.

- Slight amount of play in the left front door handle. I need to use 10% extra effort to turn the handle and open the door. I guess the cable of the handle needs to be adjusted.

My next ownership update will be after the first service at Prerana motors, which should happen probably during the next weekend.

On the modifications' side of things, I've done part of the visual makeover, the rest will be done soon along with other modifications. I'm just waiting for some months to accumulate some vitamin-M for some more modifications planned, and it will happen stage by stage. Here's a sneak peek at the next few tweaks on the anvil :

- Philips DRLs (February)
- RaceDynamics dual channel tuning box with replacement air filter (maybe K&N), and michelin tyres (March-April)
- ICE upgrade (June)
- Stanley red/black themed (full leather) interiors to mimic the bmw 320D sport theme interiors (July-Aug)
- Interior Neon lighting (Sept). Let me see if I can do a DIY in case it is simple enough.

My next update will be after the first service next weekend.

Last edited by KarthikK : 1st February 2013 at 00:24.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 00:56   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Remember what I did for my Getzy ?? I searched all over for an Alloy with Glossy black Spokes and a white lip but could not find any, atleast not in 14" & 15". So I just did the next best thing, got it custom painted.

You can actually get this job done at A1 Car Tires, right at the beggining of Siddapura road that leads to Ashoka pillar. The workmanship is really awesome.

Here is what I mean :

Custom Paint - Attachment 1034309
How much did these guys charge? And how long did it last with no issues? Do they give any kind of warranty too?

Quote:
..Are you planning one on the Swift too? Swift D with a better tuned gearbox will turn out to be a lot of fun *winks*
Too much of temptation around. My friends are planning to buy for their rides and I am doing the investigation for them. So you can understand what happens to me!

Quote:
...I'm just waiting for some months to accumulate some vitamin-M for some more modifications planned, and it will happen stage by stage. Here's a sneak peek at the next few tweaks on the anvil :

- RaceDynamics dual channel tuning box with replacement air filter (maybe K&N), and michelin tyres (March-April)
- ICE upgrade (June)
- Stanley red/black themed (full leather) interiors to mimic the bmw 320D sport theme interiors (July-Aug)
- Interior Neon lighting (Sept). Let me see if I can do a DIY in case it is simple enough.

So quite a lot to expect in your ownership report. My friend has booked A red Punto 90 hp and is expecting delivery by next weekend. I am going to give him some ideas from your pics!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 01:18   #162
Senior - BHPian

The mud flaps spoil the looks of an otherwise very nice looking car. They are too big. An eye sore!
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 07:15   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Get this post 15K KM (after first yearly service) - I did the same - K&N , RD and Pirellis.

Once you get this in your 90, let me know how you feel when you rip past through the 1.6 TDIs , the Z/L/V DIs , 1.4/6 CRDIs and all so acclaimed cars. You would love this in ghats specially because of the short gears in GP the 4th gear is so damn powerfull - you would be zooming through the coughing cars on the road when you have to climb and specially with nice tyres and super handling you would love it and would make you feel arrogant.

I have been through this and hence saying however after 45K KMS - I dont zoom it like I used to do it initially however I cant live without it as well.

Best of Luck Mate !! Drive Safe !!
scofield is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 08:50   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I did manage to do a photoshoot of the T-Jet / MultiJet siblings and I am composing a very detailed comparo thread of the 2 enthusiast cars.

- ICE upgrade (June)

Karthik you did not even consider mine, Schoudhary and Hemanth's request for a photoshoot!!! :(:(

Boy U got everything so planned and ready bro, Kudos to your vision!!!

I know I would sound stupid here but I think I would want to look at this thread or your Punto in September next, after you have got through all the above mentioned "Add-ons".
I am sure, it will be the Hottest P90 in Town !!

Quote:

How much did these guys charge? And how long did it last with no issues? Do they give any kind of warranty too?
To be honest swiftnfurious I actually don't remember how much they had charged since its been nearly 2 years since I got this painted. But I can vouch for the workmanship bro.
I wanted a Glossy finish and that is just what I got. In fact, even today after all the Dust and Dirt thrown at Alloys from the south indian roads, the wheels still Glistens after every wash.

PM me in case you are looking for a similar paint job and I can help you get in touch with the folks from the workshop.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 1st February 2013 at 08:52.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 10:11   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

So quite a lot to expect in your ownership report. My friend has booked A red Punto 90 hp and is expecting delivery by next weekend. I am going to give him some ideas from your pics!
I am honored to receive that as a compliment .

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The mud flaps spoil the looks of an otherwise very nice looking car. They are too big. An eye sore!
Point noted. I am getting them removed first thing tomorrow morning, and will get the contoured splash guards from the Absolute edition pack of accessories. They look much neater and are shorter. I'll post pics after the new (better looking) mud flaps are installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post

Once you get this in your 90, let me know how you feel when you rip past through the 1.6 TDIs , the Z/L/V DIs , 1.4/6 CRDIs and all so acclaimed cars. You would love this in ghats specially because of the short gears in GP the 4th gear is so damn powerfull - you would be zooming through the coughing cars on the road when you have to climb and specially with nice tyres and super handling you would love it and would make you feel arrogant.
I'm doing this partly inspired by your RD box recommendation and usage , so I take your words very seriously. Those words are very tempting indeed and I now have to worry about the elder sibling getting possibly overpowered by a ~120bhp box'd hatchback *lol*

Quote:
Karthik you did not even consider mine, Schoudhary and Hemanth's request for a photoshoot!!! :(:(
Well I had to shoot loads and loads of pictures in the hot sun including some aspects of interiors, so didn't want to trouble or bore you guys *lol*. We'll go for a proper photoshoot anytime buddy. You decide the time and place, and I am game.

Quote:
Boy U got everything so planned and ready bro, Kudos to your vision!!!

I know I would sound stupid here but I think I would want to look at this thread or your Punto in September next, after you have got through all the above mentioned "Add-ons".
I am sure, it will be the Hottest P90 in Town !!
I am seriously hoping the Vitamin-M plan supports these items as per the schedule I have in mind. Some of the later items might get delayed by a few months if some urgent expenses come up, hehe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks