Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2013, 08:42   #541
Team-BHP Support

re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* 114 BHP & 250 Nm by Tune-O-Tronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Coming up later this week:
- DIY installation of OSRAM LEDriving DRLs
Attachment 1148859

- Dyno runs and VBox results for Punto MultiJet 90HP remap + stock + RaceDynamics DieselTronic box

Coming up later this month :
- FXR stage-III projectors with amber corona rings
- Karlsson full leather Napa interiors, black sport seats with red stitching (maybe this will move to November too)
Karthik - finished using all the regular praises like wow, brilliant, superb etc on your thread. You need to invent few of these words before proceeding with the rest of the updates.

Love the black lamps! They transform the looks of the car (Once again). And being OE - they quality and finish is just perfect compared to the smoked lamps usually seen on other modified cars.

But I dont get the projector stuff! Are you telling us - you just ordered a fresh set of headlamps, just to get it ripped apart to put projectors?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 08:56   #542
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* 114 BHP & 250 Nm by Tune-O-Tronics

Hey Karthik, can you tell me more about the Osram DRLs. From where did you buy these and how much do they cost?

Btw, hope to see you at the next Fiat Club Meet, will inform you in advance, do try to come!
Karthik1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 09:11   #543
Senior - BHPian

KarthikK, horns can even be fitted without removing the grille or the bumper. It can be done by just flexing the bumper after removing the top 4 screws. My 2nd set was installed that way, I just told u the best way to do the installation. Nevertheless!

Good of Kawa to ship a whole new set. The lamps do transform the looks of the car.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 09:28   #544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But I dont get the projector stuff! Are you telling us - you just ordered a fresh set of headlamps, just to get it ripped apart to put projectors?
Haha. I didn't have the projector lamp plans either, considering this car will be used only in the city. Then I thought, visibility of these lamps is anyway unsatisfactory on unlit stretches. Why not upgrade the headlamps themselves?? The plan is tentative, let me see how things progress around the month-end. Budget will have to be diverted from some other thing I was planning, and into these projectors.

I wouldn't mind using the same headlamps as a base for the projectors. My OEM stock lamps are safely stashed away in the attic in case the need ever arises! Going in line with my policy, I won't touch the stock parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Hey Karthik, can you tell me more about the Osram DRLs. From where did you buy these and how much do they cost?
Sure Karthik1100, these were sourced through eBay. I bought from here and applied some discount coupons to get a good deal:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/OSRAM-LED-LIG...item20d809e2f3

Look around for other options in eBay. No one had stock of Philips, so I ended up going for Osram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
KarthikK, horns can even be fitted without removing the grille or the bumper. It can be done by just flexing the bumper after removing the top 4 screws. My 2nd set was installed that way, I just told u the best way to do the installation. Nevertheless!
Hey no offense meant at all, DRIV3R . I was just pointing out the route Satya's boys took to finish the job in my particular case. Removing the bumper was very time consuming so I allowed them to do the swap through this way.

You definitely have a point in that the frequent and/or improper removal of the grill can damage the clips and render it useless. I think it is probably the last time I will be disturbing that grill for such work.

Quote:
Good of Kawa to ship a whole new set. The lamps do transform the looks of the car.
Thanks again for this idea and reference DRIV3R. They really look nice now and did solve a huge problem of mine (black lamps not being found anywhere) in this modification exercise. Really appreciate the time taken to help me out with this. Kava's customer service was strictly no-nonsense, and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them as a source for these black headlamps if someone asked me.

Last edited by KarthikK : 7th October 2013 at 09:34.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 10:50   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sure Karthik1100, these were sourced through eBay. I bought from here and applied some discount coupons to get a good deal:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/OSRAM-LED-LIG...item20d809e2f3

Look around for other options in eBay. No one had stock of Philips, so I ended up going for Osram.
You could have got the Philips DRL 4 from the distributor here in JC Road, Bangalore. I think they A.K Traders, 3rd Cross, JC Road. I bought from them for 4500 some 3 months back. They are pretty bright and does not blind the oncoming traffic.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 11:30   #546
Senior - BHPian

That's great Karthik. When is the remap - juice box comparo coming up?

And for the horns, did you install any relay? It's not needed and I also don't have one, but wanted to know what the installer did.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 12:45   #547
BHPian

KarthikK, your Abarth (!) looks awesome! Congrats!
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 16:00   #548
BHPian

Way to go Karthik, with the modifications.

We own a 90Hp TW Punto as well, a Tuning BOX or a remap is definitely in place for my Tumblr as well. Waiting for the car engine open up (@ 3.2K Kms right now).

Waiting for the Karlson Update as well..
TheHkrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 16:26   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

Karthik: the three things pending for you now is

1. FXR 3.0 Stage IV kit
2. Karlsson Leather seats
3. ICE

So budget around 100,000 bucks We will help you spend it.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 19:21   #550
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa Karthik! This is awesome. You are surely burning the streets of bangy with your hot hatch. Congratulations man!

Few questions -

->Do the DRL's involve cutting/splicing any wire?
->Where are you planning to purchase the projectors and the ballasts from? Will the projectors be plug and play?

Also could you please post a pic of the backside of the Punto's headlamp assembly. I mean the area where the connectors are present with the dust cap et all. Would be helpful to compare it with my i20's assembly for the possibility of a projector retrofit!
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 09:05   #551
Team-BHP Support

Second Service Report @ 15,000 km :

It was a very delightful run up to the second service. 15,000 km have been gobbled up by the Punto with absolutely no issues whatsoever during the entire tenure. I have been using the car in choc-a-bloc traffic almost every single day, and I do use some very bad quality detour roads to get to office bypassing the mad traffic on ring roads. I am really delighted with the driving experience, ground clearance and the comfortable ride quality of this car as a rugged urban commuter vehicle. The turbo lag and low end sluggishness dissatisfaction have been resolved by my Tune-O-Tronics remap, so I really have no complaints as of now, barring the short 1st/2nd gearing which ought to have been better.

The second service is listed as required at either 15,000 km or 1 year from the date of purchase, whichever is earlier. In the Punto's case, distance covered beat the age period as the reason , thanks to my 70 km-a-day commute. It was a cloudy Saturday morning when I reached the Vecto motors service centre on Hosur road. My car was among the first cars that day to hit the place, and so it went up on the lift quite quickly and work began.

The odometer reading when I reached the service centre
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130928_004.jpg

The schedule of tasks listed as per the second service coupon
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130928_001.jpg

The Punto gets onto one of hydraulic lifts and work begins
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130928_002.jpg

I opted out of wheel alignment and balancing (it is pending at Madhus for this weekend), and I opted out of the wash and wax session since I visited 3M car care for my detailing and an underbody anti-corrosion treatment later that afternoon after collecting the car.

As with all my service reports, here's a detailed breakup of tasks carried out and item-wise costs
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-servoce1.jpg

Service report (contd...)
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-service2.jpg

There was one niggle faced for the past 2 weeks or so, which has been rectified now. The left side rear number plate light had gone kaput for whatsoever reason, so every time I started the car the MID used to throw up the error message 'CHECK NUMBER PLATE LIGHT' and there was the annoying bulb icon in the instrument console all the time. I reported this during the service, but the problem (as with Murphy's laws) didn't show up that day. It cropped up again the following week and I got the lamp replaced this Saturday. It wasn't covered under warranty, but thankfully it costs only 270 odd bucks. This task has been recorded in the service log spreadsheet.

That annoying bulb icon on the top of the console!!
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20131002_003.jpg

Replaced part
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0140.jpg

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0145.jpg

The old light which went kaput
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0146.jpg

And voila, the waning light and message are gone after replacing the defective plate light, as can be seen from this shot of the console
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0105.jpg

Link to first service report:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3037381

The second service included labour costs for headlamp replacement, which shouldn't be taken into account in the final servicing costs. The actual service costs are INR 5176 /-

Cumulative service costs over 15,000 km of ownership :

First service at 5,000 km with voluntary oil change = Rs. 2884 /-

Second Service at 15,000 km = Rs. 5176 /-

Total maintenance cost over 15,000 km of ownership = Rs. 5176 + Rs. 2884 = Rs. 8060 /-

Other general ownership updates :

- As mentioned earlier, I visited 3M car care, HSR layout for my detailing session after the second service was completed. I also got an underbody anti-corrosion protective coating done due to my paranoia with frequent usage in rain, and also because I park this car outdoors.

The Punto gets onto the ramp to undergo the underbody treatment process
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0096.jpg

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0098.jpg

Work in progress
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0092.jpg

Some pictures during and after the treatment was complete
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20131005_004.jpg

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20131005_006.jpg

- Fiat service centres do not allow our choice of engine oil to be filled into the car citing warranty concerns. Just in case something goes wrong, not using the company supplied oil (Selenia) can possibly become a reason for extended warranty claims to be rejected (considering Extended Warranty is not handled by Fiat but by an insurance firm). Not to be dissuaded, I got a more superior Mobil Delvac1 5w40 oil filled up at a local workshop near my place after running the Selenia for a couple of days. High performance cars need high performance oil

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0133.jpg

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0139.jpg

- Last update for this report: the OEM car cover was getting torn in a few places thanks to daily usage for almost a year now. Parking the car outdoors doesn't help the cause either. The cover was replaced by a new OEM Punto cover purchased during my service visit to Vecto motors.

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0147.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th October 2013 at 09:24.
KarthikK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 09:42   #552
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
And for the horns, did you install any relay? It's not needed and I also don't have one, but wanted to know what the installer did.
Nope. It wasn't required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Whoa Karthik! This is awesome. You are surely burning the streets of bangy with your hot hatch. Congratulations man!
Thanks a lot Sagar!

Quote:
->Do the DRL's involve cutting/splicing any wire?
Nope. They are directly connected to the battery terminals and do not require any wire splicing. This happens to be one of the advantages of premium DRL brands like Osram and Philips. I am yet to decide on the final location/position for the lamps, should be done with this during the coming weekend.

Quote:
->Where are you planning to purchase the projectors and the ballasts from? Will the projectors be plug and play?
Still doing research on this. This website seems to be a nice resource:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/
Satya has said he is going to help source the entire kit for me, so I might end up outsourcing that part of the process to him .

Quote:
Also could you please post a pic of the backside of the Punto's headlamp assembly. I mean the area where the connectors are present with the dust cap et all. Would be helpful to compare it with my i20's assembly for the possibility of a projector retrofit!
Surely Sagar. I can do that tonight. I am still yet to ship the to-be-returned headlamp back to Kava, so I'll take some shots and mail you the pictures. PM me your email ID if possible, I'll send it across.

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th October 2013 at 09:43.
Old 8th October 2013, 09:57   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot Sagar!

Nope. They are directly connected to the battery terminals and do not require any wire splicing. This happens to be one of the advantages of premium DRL brands like Osram and Philips. I am yet to decide on the final location/position for the lamps, should be done with this during the coming weekend.

Still doing research on this. This website seems to be a nice resource:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/
Satya has said he is going to help source the entire kit for me, so I might end up outsourcing that part of the process to him .

Surely Sagar. I can do that tonight. I am still yet to ship the to-be-returned headlamp back to Kava, so I'll take some shots and mail you the pictures. PM me your email ID if possible, I'll send it across.
Thanks Karthik.

I am surely interested in the DRL if it does not involve cutting any wires. Can you post some detailed pics of the connectors of the DRL?

BTW, if its not connected to any OEM wire then how will it switch on/off?
Old 8th October 2013, 10:29   #554
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Thanks Karthik.

I am surely interested in the DRL if it does not involve cutting any wires. Can you post some detailed pics of the connectors of the DRL?

BTW, if its not connected to any OEM wire then how will it switch on/off?
I haven't installed it yet so will be able to explain better after I do the activity; will try to post the pictures of the DRL connectors tonight. Basic requirement will be to set the DRLs on only if the ignition key is in the ON position AND the headlamps/parking lights are off, so the wiring only involves coupling to these 2 needs. The control module will be connected to the battery and the parking light pins on either side, and the individual DRLs are connected to the control box.

Here's the installation video, seems quite simple from here :

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th October 2013 at 10:30.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 11:51   #555
BHPian

Karthikk, I think you should take a break, relax, and think before going so further down.
One of my friend's Punto 90hp's 2 cylinder got low on compression due to over-revving. The entire engine had to be replaced in extended warranty.
Looks like its a known issue in highly revved Multijets.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks