Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2012, 16:05   #16
BHPian

Re: 2011 Toyota Liva Diesel: 1 Year & 10,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Please share with us the tyre pressures that you are using for a comf0rtable ride.

Regarding loud thuds on bad roads, can you please mention when exactly you are getting it?

Front 32 and rear 30. But I have checked it at 3 different places (2 petrol pumps & 1 puncture shop) and it has been different all the time. So give n take some error on these readings.

Also the thud is mostly the shock absorber noise more than anything else. Mostly over big potholes. There is a muted tyre noise on uneven road surface, which I feel is normal anyways.
the-rare-one is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 06:00   #17
BHPian

What is the RPM while cruising at 120 kph? Can you please comment on the transmission? (The slickness, throw etc.)
Old 24th November 2012, 11:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikhyath View Post
What is the RPM while cruising at 120 kph? Can you please comment on the transmission? (The slickness, throw etc.)
This is the most difficult question you can ask to a Liva Diesel owner. What is the RPM while cruising at 120 km/h. Well, Liva GD doesn't come with a tacho, so getting the exact RPM in this car is next to impossible.

But going by the sound and experience of cars, cruising at 120 km/h in 5th gear, the RPM should be around 2500. There is a RPM test done by fellow T-Bhpian @Amalji on his Etios car. He also confirms this (Etios VD has a tacho and engine tuning and other transmission things being the same, this should be same for the Liva too.)

For @amalji's owenership thread you can see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...1-000-kms.html

@Amalji has nicely put the RPMs and other things in tabular form.

Liva diesel is a lovely car to drive. Gear throw is excellent, particularly the second and third gears. As @sups had mentioned in some other thread you can drive Liva like an automatic in second and third gears without touching the clutch. I find the clutch a bit hard to my liking. Can be a problem for a lady.

Last edited by subratasenn : 24th November 2012 at 11:44.
subratasenn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 02:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2011 Toyota Etios Liva Diesel: 1 Year & 10,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
A bit low mileage I would say what you got from your car. After the first 2000 km, my Liva is constantly giving me 18+ km/l, that too in Kolkata traffic which is worse than most other cities in India.
Thank you for the reply.
As I mentioned, the ride is purely my opinion. In comparison to the Fiesta and Indigo Manza, and I am sure one will agree if one comes along on a drive.
About the FE: As I mentioned, my running is very odd, so 15-16kmpl is nothing short of excellent!

Quote:

Thanks again for sharing. The verdict is simple. For a true drivers car, go for a figo. And for a spacious family car in city, its all the way liva. Since my priority is the later as of now, I booked a Liva GD with fog lamps.
Congratulations Sir!
Wish you many happy miles with the Toyota. With your kind of usage, it would be an ideal choice - spacious city car for the family. I am sure you will grow to love it.
What color did you get? Any reason for not getting the SP?

Quote:
Topsel Toyota in Kolkata is also claiming that Liva has gone through some sort of suspension correction resulting in lessening of the loud "thud" sound which we used to hear earlier on big dips. Unfortunately, the car I got was June-make and I have to live with the "thud" in my car. :(

I am not too sure whether Figo is a better drive than Liva. I found both almost the same, like a technical tie in a boxing match. Liva has a harder clutch, while IMO Figo gear shifts are not as smooth as Liva. I would judge Liva as the winner as with a better GC it has almost no issues with scraping the underbelly of the car on huge bumps.
That is reassuring to know that Toyota has looked into this.
Hopefully they will improve their part quality and come out with a hit.
The Liva has better GC and gearbox, but on the twisties, the Figo will carry more speed into the corners, along with a flatter ride leading to better stability.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Congratulations Sir!
Wish you many happy miles with the Toyota. With your kind of usage, it would be an ideal choice - spacious city car for the family. I am sure you will grow to love it.
What color did you get? Any reason for not getting the SP?
Thank you Sir for answering to many of my queries. I wanted a diesel hatch back with ABS. Since GD already has ABS, I did not for GD SP.

Its a bluish silver GD + fog lamps + toyota smile pack + bumper corner protector + mud flaps, boot tray etc. at 6.7L onroad. I did the pre-registration inspection yesterday and it was to my satisfaction. The car had 4km in odo and it came out of the assembly line on 31st Oct, 2012 at 21:09 hrs. Delivery will be on 30th Nov, 2012. Planned the follwing few things to get fitted from outside:

1. Michelin xm2/Yoko 185/65 R14 tyres with alloys (stock tyres are goodyear)
2. Autofoam seat cover.
3. Double din pioneer HU (no DVD) with infinity speakers at back.
4. 3M thick underbody coating directly from 3M.
5. Door padding with dynamite extreme and some more for noise insulation.
6. Rear spoiler: Showroom quote is 7K, whereas trusted outside store quote is 2.4K

I mentioned somewhere in the forum that post July manufactured liva cars have seen some improvement in NVH and suspension noise. There is a mistake in the information, its actually post September manufactured cars. However, I can test that only after the delivery.

Last one month has been mentally and physically hectic in going through so many test drives of liva, figo, i20, micra, sail U-VA, punto. I have probably come to some conclusion and only time will tell if I am right or wrong. Briefly it is like this:

1. The best car that the driver inside me liked is: Fiat Punto sports (90 HP). Note that its not the 75 HP puntos with that long clutch travel. I am talking about the sports version here. Its clutch is short and lighter than even my getz petrol. Its an amazing vehicle, far far far ahead of the rest and at 8.25L onroad, it will remain my dream to own one some day. My heart almost stopped when I was coming down hill along those twisted roads with that god-made steering in my hand. I have no objectives to describe its stability. There are two very good threads running on this, and interested people can go through it. With my father's palio experience, I cannot trust fiats to run trouble free all 365 days a year. But if I ever have the money upto 10 lakhs to buy a second car, I will definitely buy a white Punto sports. No confusion there. As a self driven car for the driver inside me with a 7+ lakh budget, it will be the humble figo titanium diesel. No confusion even here.

2. Will I buy the punto sports where my familiy will be driven almost 60 km a day in the city at the back? My answer is NO. Why should I allow all the pleasure of driving to be taken by the chauffer? Also, back space in punto is cramped and the ride is on the stiffer side in the city speeds. In such a situation, the best diesel hatch is liva today. Again no confusion here. Its ability to soak bumps at city speeds along with space at back, fuel efficiency and zero-turbo lag driving is unparallel. I did not like the back seat ride of 8.4L i20 for that matter.

So, I am looking forward to decorate the boring liva to some extent and saving money to gift myself a punto sports.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by sups : 28th November 2012 at 12:56.
sups is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 13:00   #21
BHPian

@Sups: Would like to hear from you how the dynamite door padding works. The 3M undercoating is of some help, but not entirely. I did it from Toyota itself.

I don't know, but will some sort of a sound dampener help if I put it below the carpet of the car. Thinking of doing something like that. I did this two decades ago in my Premier D and it helped.

And yes, I quite agree to your idea of sprucing up Liva's interiors all by yourself. Buying a Liva is somewhat like moving into an empty unfurnished flat, where interior designing is all yours.

Last edited by subratasenn : 28th November 2012 at 13:04.
Old 28th November 2012, 13:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
@Sups: Would like to hear from you how the dynamite door padding works. The 3M undercoating is of some help, but not entirely. I did it from Toyota itself.

I don't know, but will some sort of a sound dampener help if I put it below the carpet of the car. Thinking of doing something like that. I did this two decades ago in my Premier D and it helped.

And yes, I quite agree to your idea of sprucing up Liva's interiors all by yourself. Buying a Liva is somewhat like moving into an empty unfurnished flat, where interior designing is all yours.
I will come back to you with more information on Monday.
Old 25th October 2013, 23:32   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, Would I Buy it Again?

To be honest, today the new i20 makes a superb case for itself. Similarly, so does the Figo.
Depending on what my budget it, and my priorities are, I might find myself going for one of those.
However, if my needs remained the same, there is no doubt I would give the Liva a hard look! A car that is spacious, peppy, easy to drive, practical and should be low maintenance and reliable. It may not have the best features, or the best interiors, but at its price point, it surely makes a case for the chauffeur driven who need a city car.
Guess I did have similar needs. Albeit with a boot.

Presenting the latest entrant in our garage:
2011 Toyota Liva Diesel: 1 Year & 10,000 kms-20131020_123220_richtonehdr.jpg

The Liva did give quite a fair bit of confidence in the way it has lasted the last year with its increased usage and travel in the outskirts of the city (with worse roads). Maybe thats the reason for the repeat buy!

Anyways, a new thread on the new car soon!

PS:
Quote:
However, the one sore point that marred the delivery experience was the Accessories Package.
As the billing was done by the company, no one realized that there was an added Rs. 10,000 accessories package included in the overall cost. While it is our fault, I personally feel it is incorrect on Shinrai's part for including that in the overall cost as it was unwanted and unrequested for.
What makes it worse is that we are still to receive some of the accessories such as the red gear knob. There was also an issue regarding the underbody coating, making us run around trying to get the Warranty card. I had several conversations with the Sales Person regarding the same but have given up.
Toyota sales is simply hopeless. Even this time around! This is the 5th or 6th poor experience we've had with them.
Barring the time we went to look at the Innova, and pick up the Corolla, we've had only sour experiences. Be it the three Camry test drives (in Mumbai and Vadodara), and the sales experience for the Etios and Liva.
If Skoda and VW manage to do such a neat job (yes, I am comparing Toyota Sales to Skoda Sales experience), why can't Toyota?

No complaints on the service front as yet though.

Last edited by lamborghini : 25th October 2013 at 23:36.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 13:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats @lamborghini

Could you please post pics of interiors of the Etios? I want to have a look on how the two tone interiors look on this car (as yours is a V variant).
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 16:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Guess I did have similar needs. Albeit with a boot.

Presenting the latest entrant in our garage:
Thats a real surprise. We are eager to hear from you about the impressions of face lifted etios vis-a-vis the earlier liva.

My Liva GD a@18K and 11 months is going strong so far. But Punto is still in the mind.

Excellent choice of colour.
sups is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 18:52   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Congrats @lamborghini

Could you please post pics of interiors of the Etios? I want to have a look on how the two tone interiors look on this car (as yours is a V variant).
Quote:
Thats a real surprise. We are eager to hear from you about the impressions of face lifted etios vis-a-vis the earlier liva.

My Liva GD a@18K and 11 months is going strong so far. But Punto is still in the mind.

Excellent choice of colour.
Thanks guys!

Will be putting up a comprehensive review soon, with pics.

To be very honest, apart from better seats, not really noticed much of a difference in ride or NVH.

However, have only driven the car 4 times, so maybe after I rack on a couple more kms.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed