Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 21:49   #16
BHPian

Re: My Pre-Worshipped Honda Civic Ownership Experience

Resolved the whistling sound from rear by replacing rear brake pads. Replaced with new set of Nissin brake pads (No. 5L484). The dealer was offering me some imported ones also at a cost of Rs. 650/- but did not go for it as I did not want to compromise on the quality of brake pads.

Total Cost: Rs. 1590/- Hope these are original and will last at least 30K

Rear Brake Pads: Rs 1250/-
Golden Cruiser Dot 4 Oil: Rs. 40/-
Labour: Rs. 300/- (Had no idea that installing rear ones is much tougher than the front ones, as the caliper needs to be taken out to push the piston all the way back (Piston lightly hammered). Bleeding done after installation and reservoir topped with Dot 4 oil)

Some Accessories added

Side Step Garnish (With Blue LED - Pic below) - Rs. 1450/-
Bumper (Brand - Fouring, Rs. 450/-) and Door Guard (Brand - IPOP, Rs. 200/-) installed

Some more pics attached for the switch panels (after installation). Painted switch panel pics posted on pg 1.

Hope the information helps fellow BHPians.
Attached Thumbnails
My Pre-Worshipped Honda Civic - Ownership Experience-dsc01823.jpg  

My Pre-Worshipped Honda Civic - Ownership Experience-dsc01824.jpg  

My Pre-Worshipped Honda Civic - Ownership Experience-dsc01843.jpg  

My Pre-Worshipped Honda Civic - Ownership Experience-dsc01849.jpg  

My Pre-Worshipped Honda Civic - Ownership Experience-dsc01852.jpg  

My Pre-Worshipped Honda Civic - Ownership Experience-dsc01848.jpg  

My Pre-Worshipped Honda Civic - Ownership Experience-dsc01851.jpg  

Last edited by Vivek5870 : 1st December 2012 at 22:15. Reason: Accessories information added along with a pic
Vivek5870 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 12:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the details, Vivek. Can you also post the side step garnish pics at a wider angle, the one in which the entire door can be seen. It needn't be a night shot, just to get an idea
Old 4th December 2012, 00:42   #18
BHPian

You are welcome Sarathlal.

Here are the pics that you probably want to see, hope you like them. Have some scratches on them which was caused by one of the installers. The moment I saw the scratches, I asked the shop owner to have someone else install them (there was no second piece else I would have asked for another one). Hopefully a good polishing of the strips may help in making these scratches invisible or partially visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Thanks for sharing the details, Vivek. Can you also post the side step garnish pics at a wider angle, the one in which the entire door can be seen. It needn't be a night shot, just to get an idea
Attached Thumbnails
My Pre-Worshipped Honda Civic - Ownership Experience-dsc01859.jpg  

My Pre-Worshipped Honda Civic - Ownership Experience-dsc01860.jpg  

Vivek5870 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 01:05   #19
Team-BHP Support

As a current Civic owner, it's rather disheartening to see your car being valued @ 5 lakhs give-or-take. Ours has done 37k and is in immaculate condition, save for a few scratches and one ding on the left fender. To see it command barely 5 lakhs is very disconcerting. And it's going to drop even further as the months go by, which means it makes even more sense to hang onto it if your daily mileage is under 15 km.

That said, I suppose it can only be good news for enthusiasts who'd rather buy a reliable, quick and comfortable petrol sedan for 5 lakhs and spend another 5 lakhs on it - on modifications, general upkeep and fuel-expenses over the next 5 years THAN buy a diesel car @ 10 lakhs.

Congratulation on your latest acquisition. You're going to love her, you can take that from me!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th December 2012 at 01:06.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 10:22   #20
BHPian

Yes Suhaas, I am loving this car, have been a Honda fan for 7 years now and just don't feel like driving anything else. Completely agree with you that its disheartening for people who bought the car at 15L + and now the car is being valued at around 5L, give or take another 50K.

The sole reason for me to switch from my Honda City to Civic was the price drop and I have always been a firm believer in buying pre worshipped cars if its the high end sedan. For smaller hatch, I do prefer to go in for a brand new one.

Good Luck to all those who are aspiring to own a Civic soon. Go for it guys, this is the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
As a current Civic owner, it's rather disheartening to see your car being valued @ 5 lakhs give-or-take. Ours has done 37k and is in immaculate condition, save for a few scratches and one ding on the left fender.

Congratulation on your latest acquisition. You're going to love her, you can take that from me!
Vivek5870 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 14:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Vivek,
Congrats on buying CIVIC.

I too recently changed the rear brake pads in HASS, paid around 6,600Rs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
Total Cost: Rs. 1590/- Hope these are original and will last at least 30K
Just do a comparision, you might find out the answer
Original.
My Pre-Worshipped Honda Civic - Ownership Experience-nissin-original.jpg

Your brake pads
My Pre-Worshipped Honda Civic - Ownership Experience-nisin.jpg

Sometime back I had purchased NISSIN brake pads for my OHC from a reputed spares dealer(he mentioned it to be original), but within a span of 7K kms of usage those brake pads had severe cracks in them (probably due to heat). when I verified with other spare part dealer for the same pads he mentioned the one which I had was not the original Nissin pads.
sushrutha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 23:31   #22
BHPian

Sushrutha, your post definitely was a dampener for me yet I will have to face the reality that I have been duped when I look at the quality of both brake pads. Since I do not have much of highway driving and daily city driving is not more than 15 kms, I will continue with these pads, but will keep a close watch on the deterioration and if I feel that safety is being compromised, they will be replaced with original ones this time.
Surprisingly, the brake pads came in an original Honda box also. The fake market seems to be bigger than the original one.

Anyways, now that I have already got it installed, can't do much about it. Keeping fingers crossed that they last for a decent mileage without any compromise on braking efficiency.

Thanks for responding back along with the pic. Gives me an insight as to how the original looks like. Wish I had seen the pic before buying the brake pads.

Mods: That brings a thought in my mind. Can we not have a repository of pictures of all original spares for majority of the cars here in TBHP. I know its an exhaustive database that will have to be created, however if its not possible for all parts, then at least for all the consumables that are commonly replaced by car owners can be looked at.. Will help all of us in doing a comparison while buying spares from outside. Thoughts welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Vivek,
Congrats on buying CIVIC.

I too recently changed the rear brake pads in HASS, paid around 6,600Rs.

Just do a comparision, you might find out the answer

Last edited by Vivek5870 : 4th December 2012 at 23:41. Reason: fixing quote tags :)
Vivek5870 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 06:21   #23
BHPian

Vivek5870, Congratulations mate. I know how it feels like to be in a car that you have dreamt about for long. Geez yours is the third car (mine included) on the forum that is about 5/6 years old and had only clocked around 45K KMs and still looks immaculate. Civic is my favorite too and I bought one similar to yours (age/color/odo) in April this year but its overseas though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
This is my first Automatic so I am pretty new to this technology and will require inputs from all of you from time to time.
Since you're new to auto tranny, make sure you bring the car to a complete halt before shifting from Reverse to Drive position or vice versa to keep the transmission happy. I've seen people apply no brakes and use gears' force to stop the car while shifting between R-D or D-R, not a good practice. Also, your car looks very well kept inside out. Keep her scratch free and make sure you do not use highly abrasive car care products. Civic's paint is butter soft and gets damaged very easily . Something I always advise to new civic owners, check and see if the cabin air filter is present/clean. Usually Civic's do not come equipped with one and in Indian conditions you surely need one. There is the youtube video at the bottom of this post for your reference on how to check/replace the cabin air filter. The video is shot on an American civic, so just think opposite with the sides. If Honda quotes you an arm and a leg, go and get a generic one from ebay. I've got one from ebay and am pretty happy with it. Enjoy the i-vtec

Cheers
Punzabi

Last edited by Punzabi : 6th December 2012 at 06:34.
Punzabi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 09:35   #24
BHPian

Thanks Punzabi for a detailed information on the Auto Tranny, will keep that in mind always. Also, will check for the cabin filter today and see if I can get one from outside HASS.

Congratulations to you too for buying a civic. This is one car with whom people just fall in love and want to keep driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi View Post
Vivek5870, Congratulations mate. I know how it feels like to be in a car that you have dreamt about for long. Geez yours is the third car (mine included) on the forum that is about 5/6 years old and had only clocked around 45K KMs and still looks immaculate. Civic is my favorite too and I bought one similar to yours (age/color/odo) in April this year but its overseas though.
Old 23rd December 2012, 23:20   #25
BHPian

Update: I have been witnessing some hesitation and jerking during gear shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear and have read in various forums that this is a problem with Honda auto trannies and will have to live with it. I was not happy to know that I have to live with this, so I kept on looking for some solution to fix this.

I have been reading about Xado products for quite some time and decided to use the auto transmission product for my Civic. Decided to go with EX120 Auto Transmission Revitalizant. In the afternoon today I injected the syringe (product comes in a syringe and is blue in colour) into the gear box from the dip stick hole. I also bought a pack of Atomic 1 stage product for engine revitalization. Here, I would like to mention that I do feel that these are all money making gimmicks and these products are considered as Snake Oil.

Anyways, poured both the products at 2 in the afternoon and then went for a spin of 20+ kms. To my surprise, after 10 kms, I could notice the hesitation in gear shift reducing and by the time I was back home, it was minimal. So far, I have not found any improvement in engine performance because of Atomic 1 stage. The product claims to complete the cycle post 1500 kms, so will have to wait for some more time to write about Atomic 1 stage. But for the Gear box revitalizant, I must say, I am impressed, although its too early to declare it as a wonderful product.

Will keep you all posted with the results from time to time and will post the pics of both products in a couple of days.

Mods - I am not associated in anyway with this organization, however if you still feel that the above statements seem to be some sort of endorsement of the product, please feel free to delete this post.
Old 24th December 2012, 10:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Is it really advisable to use such addictives, especially on transmission and engine?
Can you share your homework for deciding on using these, if possible?
Old 29th December 2012, 21:10   #27
BHPian

Sarathlal, its more of a gamble that I played, however, I did have testimonials before deciding to go with this. Although not convinced even after testimonials, I thought of going for it rather than read the reviews as it was not convincing me enough. Finally went for the products and am happy at least with one of them so far. The EX 120 for automatic transmission has been worth the money for me. I was experiencing jerking and hesitation during gear shifts, especially from 2nd to 3rd which has now disappeared completely. I have driven more than 200 kms post using this product and after a few kms, the jerking reduced and finally stopped completely after 50 kms. Happy with this product.

For the Atomic Revitalizant, I am yet to experience anything significant till now except that the noise level of the engine has reduced marginally. Waiting to complete 1500 kms when this treatment completes its job as per the product description.

Will post my experience of the Atomic Revitalizant once I complete 1500 kms.

Although, I have the pics with me at the moment, it seems like the website is extremely slow (not sure if some server upgradation is going on or what) and I am unable to upload. Will try to do it later tonight.

Last edited by Vivek5870 : 29th December 2012 at 21:18.
Old 29th December 2012, 22:48   #28
lsp
BHPian

Vivek, Many congratulations on the sweet deal. wish you many happy kilomiles with your civic. She seems very well maintained.

Man,,, these Civic deals keep getting sweeter each day!

It seems you are maintaining your car outside the HASS. In which case it is very important to find the right guy to work on the car.
Old 17th April 2013, 16:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vivek,

Wanted to know your review on the Atomic Revitilizant. Did that really help in a smoother engine and efficient power delivery. I know Ankit had used the Cylinder Gel and cited positive gains through it on his Honda City. Did you do any compression test etc before and after to check if it really helped.
Old 17th April 2013, 17:05   #30
BHPian

Same color as my car! And you have the same first name as me, LOL. Congrats dude! She is a beaut.

Most Viewed