Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 18:06   #16
BHPian

re: Stopped driving, started sailing - Chevy Sail UVA - sailed 1,00,000 kms now

Congratulation Indianvirus. Its a good choice.

Looks like a bit tonned down Cruz from the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
Things I don't like,
1. I would prefer power window switches on door, not on center console.
2. Seat belt and door ajar warning can be irritating.
7. Clutch throw is really long.
Power window switch location & long clutch should not be a problem, You will get used to it.

Seat belt & door ajar warnings are safty features for our good. Why should these be irritating. Do you drive without seatbelts?
Old 14th December 2012, 18:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new buy, we look forward for a comprehensive ownership report from you. I sincerely hope your trust in Chevy brand may bring many more buyers for this car on this forum. Wish you many many happy miles in future.
Old 14th December 2012, 18:31   #18
BHPian

I assume the LS ABS trim you've chosen doesn't get alloys. Which is quite normal in Chevy cars right up the ladder (except the Cruze and Captiva). BTW does the range topping 'LT' trim get alloys? What are the primary differences between the LS and LT trims?

In any case, any plans to trade the stock wheels for alloys?

Last edited by Omtoatom : 14th December 2012 at 18:40.
Old 14th December 2012, 22:49   #19
BHPian

Oh my god, I am overwhelmed by all the responses. Took me by surprise totally. Also reminded me that I am in great company here. A sincere thanks to all of you, for all the wishes and kind words.

Last sunday, my wife banged a light pole while reversing the car, so it is at workshop for repairs. The damages are not serious, the car would be back with me tomorrow.

Quote:
Any specific reason for not choosing the Diesel and instead going for the petrol? During my visit to the GM dealership i noticed that none of the versions have a seat height adjustment for the driver. I am of a 6ft frame and found the seating a bit tight without the seat adjustment. Whats your view point on this considering you own one now?
My annual running would not be more than 12000 kms, hence diesel did not make sense. Regarding seats, I did not face any such issue, I am 5' 10" and 82 kgs myself. I understand seat height adjustment is very useful feature but seats in Sail are not very low. I suggest a longish test drive for more observation.

Quote:
Congrats on the car! Any plans on beefing up the interiors? The steering has leather cover, or you put it on request? Because I don't remember a leather steering cover from the test drive.
How did you find the space near clutch? I found it pretty cumbersome in my short test drive. Is to comfortable now that you are actually using it?
Not planning any changes to interior except fitting JBL speakers to the parcel tray. My car had the leather stitched as standard, LS, LS ABS and LT (top one) has this as standard. There is considerable feature gap between LS and LS ABS model. regarding clutch, I have not noticed it yet. I will comeback to you on same, once car is back.

Quote:
Also, in case of a t-bone accident that might severely damage the door, there won't be a need to spend that hard earned money for a new switch control panel which are usually expensive.
Hey Jacob, that's a correct point you have mentioned. Like I said in first post, my previous car had a T-bone and I went through that kind of repair.

Quote:
Looks like a MPV from the rear 3/4 angle and I like it! Is this the diesel or petrol? Looks like you've skipped that mandatory yellow strip on your headlamp! Post some interior shots and a pic of the engine bay if possible.
That's right many of my friends and relative mistook it as MPV from pics, and yes, I am yet to put that yellow strip. Further pics on the way, sir.

Quote:
Chevy's are solid built and you should have no issues with it's ownership. You should ideally be getting a mileage of 14.5 - 16 in the city based on your driving. Highways should go upto 17.
So I have been told, keeping fingers crossed regarding mileage.

Quote:
1. You should get used to the power window controls in a few days! A friend who drives Mahindra Verito complains everytime he drives my Punto - that the controls are in the door and not on the console where it belongs!
2. Why should seat-belt warning be irritating? It should be coming on only if you are not wearing the seat belt after the seat starts moving, isn't it?
I agree about controls. Yes, warning start only when you cross 20 km/h mark. I meant at times, not always irritating.

Quote:
Any specfic reason for the white? She'd look good on brighter colors
White car is easier to keep clean, so I did not wanted dark colors like metalic grey, or brown or black. Wife did not like silver as Sail looks too plain in that color. That left me with red and white colors, red looked gorgeous, but my previous car was red as well. So I opted for white.

Quote:
Seat belt & door ajar warnings are safty features for our good. Why should these be irritating. Do you drive without seatbelts?
I agree, sir, and I do always drive with seat belts. That comment was for those short drives (100 mtrs) when you will need to get out of car before reaching 3rd gear.

Quote:
I assume the LS ABS trim you've chosen doesn't get alloys. Which is quite normal in Chevy cars right up the ladder (except the Cruze and Captiva). BTW does the range topping 'LT' trim get alloys? What are the primary differences between the LS and LT trims?
That's right, LS ABS does not have alloys as standard. LT, however, comes with alloys as standard, being top model. Apart from that, one gets passenger air bag, keyless entry, rear wash wiper and defogger, security system, auto door lock and leather gear knob.

I do plan to get alloys for my car, but not immediately.

Cheers!

Last edited by indianvirus : 14th December 2012 at 22:52.
Old 14th December 2012, 23:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

By the way, the engine was SO silent inside the TD mule SAIL I tried, that my own swift's NVH felt like a complete truck when I got back into my car.

I am surprised on that account. SAIL has awesome NVH. comparable to i20 (or almost there IMHO).
Old 15th December 2012, 11:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Many many congratulations!!! Look forward to seeing many more pictures and reading more on your ownership experience.
Old 15th December 2012, 12:03   #22
BHPian

Congrats on your new car !
Sail UVA's front defenitly has got some looks that share the same genes of Cruze,
Wishing you a Happy and trouble free ownership throughout.
Drive Safe

Last edited by VishnuNarayanan : 15th December 2012 at 12:06. Reason: typo error
Old 15th December 2012, 12:16   #23
BHPian

Congrats on the best no nonsense car out there!
Wish you lots of happy miles with her!
She looks great too. Proper big car dimensions and I love the feeling of space this car gives even from the outside.
Do consider blackening out the window frames and B-pillar like on this post.
Guess that's how the pillars were designed to be and that's how it is sold in other markets. Would greatly improve the side profile.

Last edited by Auto freak : 15th December 2012 at 12:18.
Old 15th December 2012, 12:46   #24
BHPian

Many congratulations on owning the first Chevy Sail on T-BHP. Chevrolet usually has a very silent engine and has some excellent NVH insulation levels too. I can vouch for this with the Spark as well as the Optra, i wonder how Chevy slipped up on this front with the Sail. I recently did a TD of the Sail and felt that this a very practical & VFM package for daily commute of any urban family-man. Congrats once again !!

Also, with your running of ~1000 Kms per month and with the current price disparity between Petrol & Diesel i feel you should have gone in with Diesel. Nonetheless, Sail has a very competent Petrol Engine. Wishing you many many happy miles with the new love of your life !!!

Last edited by Prodigyy : 15th December 2012 at 12:48.
Old 15th December 2012, 13:05   #25
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on your latest acquisition! Looking forward to regular updates and a balanced report on the new Chevy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
By the way, the engine was SO silent inside the TD mule SAIL I tried, that my own swift's NVH felt like a complete truck when I got back into my car.

I am surprised on that account. SAIL has awesome NVH. comparable to i20 (or almost there IMHO).
The NVH levels in the U-VA, in my opinion, are brilliant for a diesel car. Apart from the initial clatter when you start, it's super quiet. You do hear the woosh of the turbo from time to time, especially if you're feeling a bit naughty.

At speeds under 80 km/h, this car is very quiet.

The Sail U-VA is a massively underrated product. Could it be the optimistic pricing that killed it? or the sheer lack of appeal?

As we've learnt from the success of two cars, the Duster and the Swift, appeal is what it takes to roll in the numbers, even if the price-tag is on the higher side.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 16:09   #26
BHPian

Congratulations Indianvirus, the first Sail UVA on Team BHP ! Do keep updating on the engine, since this is a petrol and unknown to most of us whereas the 1.3 MJD is well known.
This seems to be very unloved/underrated vehicle. Interiors are quite well done for the price , and the space is very good. Only the power windows and the tachometer are quirky; the tachometer is not analog but digital, it shows the RPM as a digital x.y with a x1000 RPM readout. I much prefer analog tachometers, much easier to read.

I took a TD of the diesel LT variant. Quite happy with the drive, though it wasn't comprehensive for the enthusiasts POV - not many turns, didn't high 3 digit speeds etc. Found the brakes quite good and engine responsive. Not smitten by the looks though I can easily live with it, by no means is it unattractive. Now the wait for the sedan version begins.
Old 15th December 2012, 23:17   #27
BHPian

Hi guys,

The car has come back today. As good as new (well, it is new), good job by dealer, now it is impossible to know if there was a dent on body. Also they have agreed to fit my JBLs on next (first) service, without affecting warranty, me likes.

I agree with most members here, NVH levels are super low. Engine is almost unnoticeable at idling, also very silent once you are cruising at steady speed. It is only audiable while accelerating, not as much as say in maruti eeco or alto, but you hear it. May be it's normal but I wasn't expecting it, and it's there so I am overreacting, I don't know.

Quote:
tachometer are quirky; the tachometer is not analog but digital, it shows the RPM as a digital x.y with a x1000 RPM readout. I much prefer analog tachometers, much easier to read.
Well, I just my thoughts on day one, but I have got used to this already. In fact now I feel digital tacho is easier, since it show RPM in graduation of 100. One can get more precise shifting or cruising point. Btw, the car has very good drivability beyond 1200 RPM.

Regarding clutch, space for pedals are fairly large but there is no space beside clutch pedal for dead pedal.

Cheers..

Last edited by indianvirus : 15th December 2012 at 23:19.
Old 16th December 2012, 00:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
The car has come back today. As good as new (well, it is new), good job by dealer, now it is impossible to know if there was a dent on body. Also they have agreed to fit my JBLs on next (first) service, without affecting warranty, me likes.

Regarding clutch, space for pedals are fairly large but there is no space beside clutch pedal for dead pedal.
Hey, it's good to know the car came back as good as new. And credit where it is due; nice job by your dealership to leave no trace of the dent. Very often, dealerships/service centers become a target of some severe bashing and harsh criticism. And for good reason too!

But every once in a while, a few of them also go about their job in a professional manner and at times even deliver truly high levels of servicing. Just as easily as we are critical of them, those that buck the above trend must be commended, isn't it?
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 18:05   #29
BHPian

Hi all,

I am sorry, I have not been able to update for a while now. Workload taking its toll. The car has done 800 kms now. Second tankful returned 13.3 km/l, 100% city driving. I have noticed clutch pedal making "squicking" noise while operating, and the driver side window glass rattling on uneven roads. The glass only rattles if open by 20%, not while fully closed. The first service should take care of this.

I would try to upload more pics tomorrow.

Quote:
But every once in a while, a few of them also go about their job in a professional manner and at times even deliver truly high levels of servicing. Just as easily as we are critical of them, those that buck the above trend must be commended, isn't it?
+1 to that. I feel the same way.
Old 28th December 2012, 15:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hello Indivirus,

Congrats on a new sail; could you kindly post some interior pictures? Many thanks!

Most Viewed