Team-BHP - Stopped driving, started sailing - Chevy Sail UVA - sailed 1,00,000 kms now
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Stopped driving, started sailing - Chevy Sail UVA - sailed 1,00,000 kms now (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/129848-stopped-driving-started-sailing-chevy-sail-uva-sailed-1-00-000-kms-now.html)

Why new car
It all started, early in November, when my trustworthy Zen Estilo turned otherwise and left me stranded on Highway. This was second time in 4 months, and during these 4 months it visited workshop at least 8 times. Not that I abused it, I got it serviced regularly, twice a year, and do all the needful to keep it ship shape. I guess recent incident with an Alto, when it lost driver side front door, drove her nuts.:Frustrati

Options
Hence I was in market for a car. Now, the thing here is, my wife drives the car 70% of the times, so her inputs had to be considered.
(even if she din't drive this much, things wouldn't change, don't we all know?) The car has to be hatchback, she din't want a sedan (too big), wanted higher model(no more compromise on features), and it can't be Maruti (women..:uncontrol).
After Diwali I scouted for hatches. Budget is 5.5L, shortlisted Chevy Sail, Nissan Micra, Honda Brio and Ford Figo. Micra runs like a dream, but not really good rear leg room, no ABS in 5.5L. Figo doesn't run at all, floor the throttle and it struggles to gather pace, this was just 250KM old car. Otherwise specious and feature-loaded. It came down to Brio and Sail. Brio has all the bells n whistles wife wanted well under 5.5L, but rear bench and boot space are joke (no offence to current owners). Yes they have liberated more rear legroom than Micra, but at the cost of boot space. Rear seat head rest are far below one's head, back support also insufficient.
I told myself "can't live with this car for 5 years, but Sail has big compromise on feature and safety equipment at 5.5L." "Stretch your budget, bonehead." Myself replied back. Finally stretched budget for another 30K to 5.8L and went for LS ABS version, which offered all (almost) feature we needed.

Chevrolet Sail it is, ladies and gentlemen, probably first on "Team".

Buying experience
Booked on 24th November, dealer received it on 28th, done PDI and final payment on 29th and took the delivery yesterday, Monday, 3rd December. They initially denied the insurance from outside, a dear friend (Bhpian and car workshop owner) came to help here. He worked out his contact inside the dealership and I got zero depreciation insurance from outside and saved 6.5K. Overall experience with dealer was very nice, SA was well-informed of the car and very courteous. They din't give any freebie, since it's a new model.

Initial Impression
When you see it parked, the first thing, that comes to mind is, "it's big" and that's why I was sold on Sail the moment I saw it. Rear bench has tall back rest and is specious, suitable for 3 people. Front seats are good, though not as supportive as say Honda city. No more elbowing co-driver while shifting. Cabin feels roomy thanks to big windows, hatch window is not very big and creates huge blind spots. One has to work all three rear view mirrors to do safe reversing. Interior design is simple and nice. Dash board is well laid. Quality of plastic and fabric seems decent, feels better than my previous car. Twist the key and engine settles to very silent 700-800 idling RPM. Clutch throw is really long, but shifting is smooth. Acceleration is pretty decent. Engine is audiable inside cabin while accelerating quickly. Boot has it's own lamp, me likes.

I have done 425 kms till now. First tank-full to tank-full returned 13.9 kmpl in 100% city driving, 80% time AC on. Hoping for better figures as I clock more miles.

Things I like,
1. Many people mistook it as Cruze from front. (Ego boost)
2. The car has good drivability, pulls well from lower speed in higher gears.
3. AC is really good, cools this big cabin very fast.
4. Suspension is nice, ride is pretty plush.
5. Rear seat and leg room are king size for a hatch.
6. Pretty good performance for OE music system.
7. Bluetooth connectivity feature is a boon
8. Engine and gear box are nice and smooth, though I would have loved shorter throw.
9. Leather wrapped steering is chunky and nice to hold.
10. Brakes are very sharp.

Things I don't like,
1. I would prefer power window switches on door, not on center console.
2. Seat belt and door ajar warning can be irritating.
3. Engine is reasonably audible inside the cabin, while accelerating.
4. Glove box isn't very big.
5. Horn buttons on steering are really small and at times you have to look for them.
6. Some of the plastic panels on door and B pillar seem loose.
7. Clutch throw is really long.

Here are some memories...

Congrats for the First Sail UVA on t-bhp.
I love the striking front end of the car.
Wish you happy journeys ( or Voyages!) in the years to come

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on being the first member to post a ownership review of the Chevrolet Sail U-VA. Any specific reason for not choosing the Diesel and instead going for the petrol?

During my visit to the GM dealership i noticed that none of the versions have a seat height adjustment for the driver. I am of a 6ft frame and found the seating a bit tight without the seat adjustment. Whats your view point on this considering you own one now?

Congratulations on your new car. It indeed is agood choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by indianvirus (Post 2981196)

Things I like,
8. Engine and gear box are nice and smooth, though I would have loved shorter throw.

Things I don't like,

The things you liked and I quoted above the ones I would like in my car too.

Seat belt warning should be as irritating as it can get IMO.

Audible engine, loose plastic panels and long clutch throw are serious concerns, again my personal opinion.

Congrats on the car! Any plans on beefing up the interiors? The steering has leather cover, or you put it on request? Because I don't remember a leather steering cover from the test drive.

How did you find the space near clutch? I found it pretty cumbersome in my short test drive. Is to comfortable now that you are actually using it?

Wow so this must be the first Sail UVA on TBHP. Had heard a lot about its decent all round package and a very well tuned national diesel under its hood and a great package for a family beater hatch.

This is the first time getting to know more about the petrol motor. So please go ahead and post more pictures and let us know more about all other things and sundry about your new ride.

Congrats and safe driving!

Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks

Now this is one car review I've been waiting for a while now, congrats on the new car. Thats one very good purchase you've made.

Quote:

Things I don't like,

Hmm.. I personally love this feature because the front passengers can operate the switches even if the driver is busy braving through the city traffic or just forgets to press them. Also, in case of a t-bone accident that might severely damage the door, there won't be a need to spend that hard earned money for a new switch control panel which are usually expensive. I think its a nice move by GM but each to his own.:)

Congrats on your purchase! Looks like a MPV from the rear 3/4 angle and I like it! Is this the diesel or petrol? Looks like you've skipped that mandatory yellow strip on your headlamp! Post some interior shots and a pic of the engine bay if possible.

Congrats on the new buy and being the 1st to post your ownership on the forum!

Chevy's are solid built and you should have no issues with it's ownership. My experience as I drove the earlier model for 3 years.

You should ideally be getting a mileage of 14.5 - 16 in the city based on your driving. Highways should go upto 17.

Many congratulations indianvirus on being the first to put up an ownership report of (if not the first to acquire) the Sail.

Your ride looks splendid in white and the Cruze-esque front give it quite an imposing stance and character. Love it!

Here's to a hassle free ownership and miles and miles of happiness mate. Drive safe!

Congrats! :thumbs up
Quote:

Things I don't like,
5. Horn buttons on steering are really small and at times you have to look for them.

1. You should get used to the power window controls in a few days! A friend who drives Mahindra Verito complains everytime he drives my Punto - that the controls are in the door and not on the console where it belongs! :D

2. Why should seat-belt warning be irritating? It should be coming on only if you are not wearing the seat belt after the seat starts moving, isn't it?

Congrats on your Sail. Looks very much like the Cruze from the front end. Any specfic reason for the white? She'd look good on brighter colors (personal opinon)

Hope she sails with you on your long memorable journeys.

Quote:

Initial Impression
When you see it parked, the first thing, that comes to mind is, "it's big" and that's why I was sold on Sail the moment I saw it. Rear bench has tall back rest and is specious, suitable for 3 people. Front seats are good, though not as supportive as say Honda city. No more elbowing co-driver while shifting. Cabin feels roomy thanks to big windows, hatch window is not very big and creates huge blind spots. One has to work all three rear view mirrors to do safe reversing. Interior design is simple and nice. Dash board is well laid. Quality of plastic and fabric seems decent, feels better than my previous car. Twist the key and engine settles to very silent 700-800 idling RPM. Clutch throw is really long, but shifting is smooth. Acceleration is pretty decent. Engine is audiable inside cabin while accelerating quickly. Boot has it's own lamp, me likes.

I have done 425 kms till now. First tank-full to tank-full returned 13.9 kmpl in 100% city driving, 80% time AC on. Hoping for better figures as I clock more miles. How is the pickup/ performance of the 1.2 petrol otherwise?

Things I like,
1. Many people mistook it as Cruze from front. (Ego boost)
2. The car has good drivability, pulls well from lower speed in higher gears.
3. AC is really good, cools this big cabin very fast.
4. Suspension is nice, ride is pretty plush.

Things I don't like,

Here are some memories...

Congratulations :thumbs up on selecting a good car after the thorough search/ research... so the car is good overall & not simple & staid as its appearance. And, when I read you mileage figures, I thought you had bought the diesel.

This will definitely serve you for long... Happy Mile Munching.

Congratulations my friend!! THe Sail looks like a perfect family hatchback. It has good space, a good enough engine 9as per your opinion) and enough features to not feel stuck in the stone age.
Really look forward to your ownership experience with all eagerness. Hope it turns out to be real good.

happy Driving!!