Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2013, 03:48   #136
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura VRS - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post

Are we on a similar league as a Laura vRS? in terms of driving dynamics
Does vRS sport a better steering rack that the TSI or a different brake setup?

Appreciate the help!
As far as I know, the only difference between the vRS and the 1.8 Tsi is the springs, the Dampers are the same in both the cars. The stock vRS also sports a slightly different exhaust system than the stock but its difficult to understand the performance gains. Also, when I drove the stock I could swear that the throttle response was different maybe they're running slightly altered maps

There are various other differences between the cars but as far as performance goes these are the only ones that I can think off.

Best,

Azeem
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 09:06   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Question:
With a stock Laura TSI if we add
1) Bilstein shocks + springs (B14 or B6, Need to make a decision on that)
2) Get Tarox brake pads

Appreciate the help!
Add B14/ B6 + Tarox brake pads to the Stock TSI and you are definitely in the VRS league if not above it.

As Azeem said, the only mechanical differences are a set of harder springs and a slightly more audible exhaust. Also the VRS rides on 16" rims and 205 tyres, whereas the stock TSI makes do with 195 tyres running on 15s.

I've recently got a set of B6's for my TSI along with a stage one remap. The B6 dampers are just amazing. It enhances grip, reduces body roll and gives you a lot more confidence to throw the car into corners.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 22nd August 2013 at 09:23.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 16:51   #138
BHPian

That helps! Thanks Santosh & Azeem for clarifying!
Old 22nd August 2013, 20:15   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Really enjoyed reading the entire thread,

It is an awesome journey of a great car and a great driver as well.
It is nice to see how you have gone with the mods of the car while keeping your driving in mind.
It is also nice to find a person who enjoys track days and participates regularly in them.

Question:
With a stock Laura TSI if we add
1) Bilstein shocks + springs (B14 or B6, Need to make a decision on that)
2) Get Tarox brake pads

Appreciate the help!
Basically yes, and no. It depends on the model of your tsi. 2010 has ea888mk2 engine which doesnt have the aux injectors which give the vrs the extra kick. 2012 onwards, tsi's have the ea888mk3 engines same as the vrs. How do you know which one you have? Simple. See your gear knob. If its the chrome one its a ea888mk2 engine. If its the black with silver/white lettering, its a ea888mk3 engine.

Whta changes between mk2 and mk3 engine? Additional set of injectors, which help low end response. With a tune they yeild much more benefits and a stronger bottom end.

With a set of b14 or b6 your handling will definitely improve. I lost 8 secs of my laptime with just suspension change, even with worn tires. If I were to mod the black tsi I have, which incidentally is a mk2 model, I would get rims, tires and remap and just get a milltek down pipe plus tune. Leave the stock catback in place and you have a total sleeper. Depending on how strict emissions are where you live, id definitely try to go for a catless downpipe.

My stock pads lasted 2 track days, with nearly 90 laps of buddh, so they are good enuff. Tarox upgrade is a bonus option. But first and foremost, get a set of good wheels and tires. 17x225 or 215 is perfect. It will change the way the car drives.
prithwi-81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2013, 18:39   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Guys with all this XDS talk, I tried hooking up the VCDS to my vRS. While I could activate XDS and adjust brake assist on my Yeti, the same was not possible on my Laura. I understand XDS is only possible on ESP equipped cars, and our Lauras don't have ESP, only ASR. There is no option in central electrics to tick that XDS has been installed. Also when I got to the ABS module it says no response, so there is nothing I can alter. No brake assist, no XDS.

Do help me if you guys have activated it on the vRS. And if possible take a pic of the long coding of the ABS controller, and the controller version.

Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2013, 03:03   #141
BHPian

I'm pretty confident that our models of vRS do not come with ESP. Had an interesting moment when I took a turn after redlining on third gear and shifting into fourth - The next few seconds were a combination of fear and driving nirvana. Definitely no ESP.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:38   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
I'm pretty confident that our models of vRS do not come with ESP. Had an interesting moment when I took a turn after redlining on third gear and shifting into fourth - The next few seconds were a combination of fear and driving nirvana. Definitely no ESP.
I remember prithwi saying his was activated and set on strong by default. Hence my confusion.
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:06   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Mine is a 2010 1.8TSi and there is no XDS/ESP option available through VCDS. I dont know if the 2012 cars have it but I am pretty sure the ESP module is not there in any Laura sold in India except the L&K trim.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:00   #144
BHPian

The XDS is a function of the ABS, EBD and TCS systems. Any Skoda with these features post 11/2011 build date with these systems in place would have XDS and it will be turned on by default (depending on the factory settings - either 0 - default or 2 - strong). So its a matter of finding and verifying function. Honestly I dont recall where I read and what controller table I looked into for the checking. I will take the VRS out this weekend and try to locate the exact VCDS options again.

If you have this BCM ESP MK60EC1 you should be able to activated.
on the long coding on the ABS you have the last 4 digits that are 0000
Change it to 0800
Then under adaptation look for the channel (canīt remember at the moment) where it says XDS
You have 3 setting (normal/soft/strong)

Also to check if your VRS has it or not is to find an empty road, push it into a corner at not so normal speeds (trying to induce understeer). If your VRS has XDS you will feel an artificial pull/tug towards the apex, like someone is braking the inside wheel rather than the car understeering. In the stock ride height its usually not usually apparent till you do something silly, but with the car lowered its pretty evident.

In India most of the VRS's imported were with build dates between 9/2011 to 3/2012. So chances of your skoda having the new version of the ABS controller is hit or miss.

As per skoda website - http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/models/LauravRS/Features

Braking
ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)
EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution)
MBA (Mechanical Brake Assistant)

Traction
ASR (Anti Slip Regulation)
TCS (Traction Control System)

Last edited by prithwi-81 : 3rd September 2013 at 12:14.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:03   #145
Team-BHP Support

I'm attaching a screenshot of the screens I get in VCDS. I think my car has an older controller. If possible do take pics of the same screens when you connect VCDS to your car. Would like to compare and see if it can be done just by changing the long code or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura VRS - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-img_0269.jpg  

Skoda Laura VRS - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-img_0271.jpg  

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 3rd September 2013 at 15:04.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:57   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I'm attaching a screenshot of the screens I get in VCDS. I think my car has an older controller. If possible do take pics of the same screens when you connect VCDS to your car. Would like to compare and see if it can be done just by changing the long code or something.
MK70 is the old controller with ABS/ASR. No XDS possible on this one. MK60 is the ABS controller for XDS.
Old 14th September 2013, 10:13   #147
BHPian

Little TSI and big brother VRS.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130914_101029.png
Views: 2015
Size:  557.1 KB
prithwi-81 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 22:33   #148
BHPian

8500kms today. Whoo hoo the car has been a hoot to drive, even with all the mods, purrs like a kitten. Almost time for the first full service.. dreading going to dealership..
Old 20th September 2013, 19:08   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
8500kms today. Whoo hoo the car has been a hoot to drive, even with all the mods, purrs like a kitten. Almost time for the first full service.. dreading going to dealership..
Prithwi, one story about old friend of mine.. who did re-map on this car and went for the first servicing.. Service manager who moved car around came back to him and said - your car is very quick.. not sure why. Luckily my friend had presence of mind and added - I always premium fuel. That satisfied the fellow. For your mods.. not sure anything like this will work.
Old 20th September 2013, 23:27   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post

Prithwi, one story about old friend of mine.. who did re-map on this car and went for the first servicing.. Service manager who moved car around came back to him and said - your car is very quick.. not sure why. Luckily my friend had presence of mind and added - I always premium fuel. That satisfied the fellow. For your mods.. not sure anything like this will work.
Well in my case I think warranty is not an issue. Of course if I mod the car to such an extent, skoda should have issues honoring the warranty. Its stupid to expect them to smile and say 'yes sir'. Now if the door lock stops working I would expect them to fix it, but if my gead gasket blows I wont go back to them asking for a warranty.

As for test drives, I ensure that if the car needs to go for a test drive, I am the one driving it, not the SA.

Most Viewed

Copyright Đ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks