Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2013, 16:44   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2012 Honda City Corporate Ed: 20000 kms, 5th service update

Very elegant choice. City has always been a very good car. However, now I feel that a diesel city must be introduced to keep it ticking, else as always, Honda will be late for the party.
What has surprised me is the low maintenance cost of your Honda. Surely affordable for the middle class too.

IMO, you should be safe when changing oil around 8-9K kms when using synthetic.

Wish you many more happy miles ahead.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 17:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner34 View Post
Sarthak, in city manual it says oil change for every 5k km and no where it's mentioned 5k km for mineral and 10k km for synthetic, so are you sure the associate from Honda has sufficient knowledge for this recommendation?

And based on your answer above I might as well go for synthetic, which one you used?
You are correct about the manual. However, as per my dealer, they are now following the 6 month service interval (as is the case with Brio and Amaze) for City also with oil change intervals as I have mentioned. May be Honda has given them new instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Very elegant choice. City has always been a very good car. However, now I feel that a diesel city must be introduced to keep it ticking, else as always, Honda will be late for the party.
What has surprised me is the low maintenance cost of your Honda. Surely affordable for the middle class too.

IMO, you should be safe when changing oil around 8-9K kms when using synthetic.

Wish you many more happy miles ahead.
Thanks Saket sir. The maintenance costs are really low. In fact the labour charge for my Verna used to be in regions of Rs.1200 /- in 2011 (end). My service costs with Verna were never below Rs. 6000/- even though I used to have mineral oil for it.

Also most parts are extremely long lasting. For e.g. the air filter will be replaced only at 40,000 Kms. Transmission and brake fluids are to be replaced only at 1.6 Lakh kms or 10 years.

Because of lower frequency of replacements the labour charges are also less.
Old 4th September 2013, 17:55   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
You are correct about the manual. However, as per my dealer, they are now following the 6 month service interval (as is the case with Brio and Amaze) for City also with oil change intervals as I have mentioned. May be Honda has given them new instructions.

Thanks Saket sir. The maintenance costs are really low. In fact the labour charge for my Verna used to be in regions of Rs.1200 /- in 2011 (end). My service costs with Verna were never below Rs. 6000/- even though I used to have mineral oil for it.

Also most parts are extremely long lasting. For e.g. the air filter will be replaced only at 40,000 Kms. Transmission and brake fluids are to be replaced only at 1.6 Lakh kms or 10 years.

Because of lower frequency of replacements the labour charges are also less.
That looks really encouraging. Though, I am not looking to upgrade immediately but coming from Maruti family (known for low ownership costs), I often get confused when it comes to look for the next car. This looks as a very sane choice. BTW, kitna deti hai?

Please Sarthak, call me just Saket.

Regards.
Old 15th October 2013, 11:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
BTW, kitna deti hai?
Using synthetic oil - its about 16 kmpl for a mix of smooth free flow and city stop and go traffic. If I drive really carefully, I have reached to about 17 kmpl.

Using mineral oil - its about 14 kmpl, very difficult to hit 15 kmpl even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner34 View Post
Sarthak, in city manual it says oil change for every 5k km and no where it's mentioned 5k km for mineral and 10k km for synthetic, so are you sure the associate from Honda has sufficient knowledge for this recommendation?

And based on your answer above I might as well go for synthetic, which one you used?
I think it is a recommendation from Honda itself.

I used mineral oil between 5000 - 10,000 KMS, before switching back to synthetic oil. Reason for mineral oil was due to run in period.

Last edited by sarthakgupta : 15th October 2013 at 11:19.
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 18:22   #20
BHPian

Car went for its 20,000 KM service and a small accidental repair work.

Accidental Repair:

Car was hit in backside by somebody while parked. No other details are available. Total bill was about Rs. 50,000/- . Asked for it to be covered in insurance. My damage was about Rs. 6,000/- rest all was covered in insurance.

Repair experience was sub par since Honda dealership kept the car for almost 15 days without starting any work on it. Over the phone they used to tell me that work is going on. When one day I went there to check the on-going work, I was shocked to find that my car was lying as such.

I then contacted the branch manager and demanded an explanation. He assured me to get the car done in one week. This time they kept their promise and delivered the car within next 5 days.

Overall the quality of repair work is excellent.

Service:

Routine 20,000 KM service. Total cost was about Rs. 6,000/- (Opted for full synthetic oil). Cost breakup is as follows:

1. Full Synthetic oil - Rs. 3,200/-
2. Air Filter - Rs. 470/-
3. Oil Filter - Rs. 150/-
4. Labour Charges - Rs. 1,700/-
5. Consumables - Rs. 110/-
6. Windscreen Fluid - Rs. 50/-

Car is running smoothly, no issues at all, no rattles or loose dashboard panels et al. Turning out to be a no nonsense fill-it, shut-it, forget-it car.

Last edited by sarthakgupta : 4th November 2014 at 18:24.

Most Viewed