Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2012, 11:34   #1
BHPian

Pre-Worshipped BMW E60 530d - JOY Unlimited!

Hello guys,

It has been a long time, over 3 years to be precise, since I first set off with the task of buying a pre-worshipped luxury car. It has been a long wandering and eventful 3 years. I think I'll write about the car buying process and initial review now and save the terribly long story of my 3 year wait for later. I had set myself a budget of 25-30L for a very well maintained pre owned Audi or BMW.

I was asked many a times why go for a used car with that budget when I could buy a new one with a little more. Well, my logic was plain and simple. A new luxury car is a "depreciation disaster". Especially so, since I would not keep the car for more than a couple of years. That said, a used luxury car also drops value fast but I think the depreciation hit the owner taken in the first two years is considerably more compared to what he has to bear with in the years after.

With the budget set, it was time to short list the cars of choice. I wanted a car that was sporty, spacious for occasional long trips, loaded with features and fun to drive. The following cars were short listed:

BMW F10 520d, Why?
- Fun to drive
- Spacious
- Lots of features standard
- Very good interior quality
- Brand value
- Powerful diesel engine
- Looks fine
- Good build quality

BMW E60 525d, Why?
- Fun to drive
- Spacious
- Lots of features standard
- Excellent driving dynamics
- Brand value
- Powerful 6 cyl diesel engine
- Looks good
- Good build quality

BMW E90 320d Highline, Why?
- Fun to drive
- Comes loaded with features
- Powerful diesel engine
- Looks fine
- Good build quality
- Brand Value

Audi A4 2.0 TDI, Why?
- Looks super sexy
- Awesome LEDs
- Good interior quality (best in class)
- Good Build Quality
- Spacious enough

Audi A4 was considered mainly because of its looks. It sure is one good looking car. I just wish Audi had given it a more powerful engine and better transmission to go with the stunning looks. I remember reading Redeff's splendidly written thread on his A4 and wanting one badly. But everyone, and I mean everyone, knowledgeable about cars I spoke to suggested a BMW over an Audi A4. So Audi A4 was eliminated from the list.

It finally came down to the 3 BMW models. BMW 3 series highline/exclusive is definitely a nice car to drive and loaded with features. However, the lack of rear seat space was a deal breaker for me. It was just unacceptable. But otherwise it is a very good car at around 20-23L (for a 2 year used car). So finally, it came down to E60 525d or F10 520d. To get a F10 520d I would have had to extend my budget even more (used car prices in Kerala are higher compared to some of the other states). While F10 has excellent interiors and features, the exterior looks are just too plain and simple for my liking. I am one of those people who still loves the exterior looks of the Bangled 5er more than the F10, especially the aggressive front. Moreover, if I chose to buy an E60, I would be able to afford a 525d (6 cylinder 3l engine) in my budget. For me, E60 had the right combination of looks, power, handling, space and features. So it was decided that we go for the E60.

With the car now finalized, the hunt began. Called up the BMW dealer, few agents and friends to check if they knew of a BMW 5 series 2009/2010 model on sale. A few dealers did call me back regarding some 520 and 525 ds. The prices they were demaning were too high, so nothing really worked out. Few weeks went by and one fine morning I recieve a call from a BMW Executive. The conversation went like this:

Him: "Morning sir"
Me: "Morning"
Him: "Sir would you be interested in a 2009 model 5 series"
Me: "Yes. Please give me more details about the car"
Him: "Sir it is a 2009 530d Highline, Monaco Blue metallic color, done 47,000kms, all service records present, single owner in showroom condition"
Me: "Ok. What is the asking price?"
Him: "28L. Sir actually the customer is exchanging this car for a high end model and BMW would be purchasing this car from them. I can arrange for you to view the car today if you are interested?"
Me: "Alright, I'll come and check it out in the afternoon."

The car belonged to the owner of a famous retail chain. I was a bit leery about the Monaco Blue color initially, but still decided to go and see the car. Boy, was I in for a surprise or what? The car looked stunning in the owner's parking area which it shared with a few other luxury cars. I had gone in the afternoon and the metallic Monaco Blue color was sparkling like a jewel in a crown under the sun. The car looked majestic in that color. The BMW executive with me was telling me things about the car, but I was just lost in another world.

One very important tip to potential car buyers is to always check any car or color out in person before you make a decision. Do not base your decision on internet research alone. BMWs look so much better in metal than in images.Pictures on the internet can really be misleading sometimes.

I had my dad and his friend who is knowledgable in cars with me too. We continued with the inspection. The car was maintained in such perfect condition. It did not feel 3 years old. Switched the car on and Corona angel eye rings looked stunning. Went for a drive in the car and we could clearly see heads turning to check her out. We did not get to drive her on the open roads though.

Came back after the drive, which was very satisfactory, and dad asked me if I liked the car. I did not have to think twice. Yes was my answer. It had everything I wanted. The car came with TV, 6CD changer, DVD player, iDrive, front infra red night vision cam, sunroof, electric seats, dual zone climate control, 10 speaker audio (harman kardon?), cruise control, beautifully crafted 18" alloys and more. And of course, how could I miss the 3L inline 6 cyclinder 235 bhp monster of an engine and the 500Nm torque figure. Everyone liked the car very much.

So finally it came down to the price. Discussions went on for hours without any positive result emerging from it. They were not ready to lower the price down by much. We made our final offer and left. Next day the BMW executive called again to check if we were ready to better our offer. We knew the executives from BMW wanted to sell this car at the earliest so that the owner could buy a high end car from them. We said that we had made our final offer and won't be interested in a price above that.

Many phone calls and discussions later, BMW finally agreed to pay the price difference (between seller's final price and our price) to the seller to facilitate the deal. With everything finally sorted out, the BMW executives
brought the car home that evening and we finally got ourselves our first BMW. It was such a special feeling. We've owned at least 30-35 different cars in the last 20 years, but this was special. BMW truly is JOY.

Initial Review:

I have had the car for 3 months now and have driven around 1000kms in it. This car is powerful is a understatement. I remember driving her on the highway for the first time. Floored the accelerator on an open stretch and what happened next was nothing like I had ever experienced in any other car in my life before. The ferociousness with which this cars pulls you forward is just hard to explain. With the window down, you can actually hear the monstrous engine roar as the car surges ahead energetically. The engine makes a good noise. Quite frankly, you will forget about the audio player, idrive and other electronic gizmos or features in the car when you are driving this car. All you'll want to do when you are in the driver's seat is to drive this brute of a machine non-stop.

The engine, however, is not always roaring and growling. If you drive it with a light foot it is very quiet and civilized. The car returns a fuel efficiency of around 7 Km/L in bumper-to-bumper traffic and around 12 Km/L on the highways with a light foot (based on the on board computer display). I remember seeing OverDrive's review of the 530d Highline (originally aired in 2008 or 2009) on youtube recently where they had claimed a fuel efficiency
of 17.5 Km/L. If that is true, then the fuel efficiency my car is returning is really low or is the On Board Computer innacurate. Perhaps, someone who owns an E60 could clarify this for me.

The car can gain colossal speeds quickly without you knowing it. Handling is very good and the car feels stable at all speeds. I have heard a lot of people complain about the rock hard drive. But I really do not think it is as bad as they claim it is. The steering too feels good to hold and is heavy giving you the confidence to take her to the limits. Tyres and braking performance too is very good as expected. The car is pretty big and you wouldn't want to drive it in slow moving city traffic or small roads.

The space on the inside is good and material used of high quality. It is loaded with features, my favorite of which is the iDrive. It just took me a few minutes to get familiar with the idrive menu layout and how the controller works. My dad still finds it very confusing though. Lots of options, menus and sub menus to play with. The built in TV function works only when the car is not moving and the video quality is also not very good. It only displays DD channel. The audio quality from the 10 speaker audio system is superb. The car has an in dash DVD player and another CD/MP3 player in the center console. In addition, there is a 6CD changer in the glove box. Redundant but convenient! I really miss a USB port. The front night IR cam displays video on the iDrive screen. I did not feel confident driving by looking at the cam output on the screen. I am not certain I will get used to it with time either.

The rotary temperature controls operating the A/C are easy to use. The A/C itself is very good and is quick to cool the cabin even in the hottest of days. It is a comfortable car for long distance drives. The seats offer great comfort for all occupants. Front seats are electrically operated with memory settings. Electrical sunroof has to be one of the bigger ones I have seen.

Bi-Xenon headlights offer exceptional night time visibility. The car with the corona rings and the orange eyebrow lights on looks mean. The rear lights also look stunning at night. Turns heads at night too. I did buy H8 7500k white angel eye bulbs for my car. Changed the bulbs myself. They looked great at night, but were not visible in the day, especially the outer ring. So put back the OEM yellow bulbs back.

Everything so far has been perfect (touchwood) and I am enjoying driving this car. I'll post more views in due course. That is all I have for now guys. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions. I am very happy with the purchase and it surely was worth the wait. I truly believe it is the best car I could have bought in my budget. To sum it up, BMW is JOY. With the 530d it is JOY unlimited. Wish you all a merry X'mas and a happy new year in advance. Drive Safe!
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-Worshipped BMW E60 530d - JOY Unlimited!-img_1028.jpg  

Pre-Worshipped BMW E60 530d - JOY Unlimited!-img_1025.jpg  

Pre-Worshipped BMW E60 530d - JOY Unlimited!-img_1023.jpg  

over.drive is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 11:58   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-Worshipped BMW E60 530d - JOY Unlimited!

Gosh, you've taken pre-worshipped to an entirely new level! Congrats over.drive, this is exactly the kind of deal I keep advising potential premium car owners on. Moderator Navin had checked out a pristine 530i earlier in 2012. If you're looking at pure driving pleasure, there isn't a <50 lakh sedan in the market today that can match the poise, balance, steering feel & dynamics of the E60 5 series. And you've managed to get yourself the beastly, yet practical, 530d engine.

- Nice tyres

- Is the car still covered by BMW's warranty + service packages?

- What was the final price you settled for?

Prices of the small, 4 cylinder 3 series & C Class run in the mid-30s. IMHO, they are horribly over-priced. If you have 25 - 30 lakhs to spend, this is the way to do it. Congrats again over.drive and do drive safe.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:02   #3
BHPian

Congratulations mate! She looks splendid. Wish you many happy miles.

On a separate note, how is the run flat tires ride especially considering that the tires would be a little older now. Also does the car have extended warranty?
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Congrats, this is one car I would love to own. Seems to be in great condition too. Post some more pictures man

Also is this the new iDrive, or the older one?

The tyres seem to be switched out, are they still runflats?

Check this site for some accessories -
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...983&startrow=1
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:45   #5
BHPian

Congrats on this awesome purchase !!

Just one query. Is this covered by BSI? If not, is it possible to get BSI on a pre-owned car?
Old 23rd December 2012, 13:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gosh, you've taken pre-worshipped to an entirely new level! Congrats over.drive, this is exactly the kind of deal I keep advising potential premium car owners on. Moderator Navin had checked out a pristine 530i earlier in 2012. If you're looking at pure driving pleasure, there isn't a <50 lakh sedan in the market today that can match the poise, balance, steering feel & dynamics of the E60 5 series. And you've managed to get yourself the beastly, yet practical, 530d engine.

- Nice tyres

- Is the car still covered by BMW's warranty + service packages?

- What was the final price you settled for?

Prices of the small, 4 cylinder 3 series & C Class run in the mid-30s. IMHO, they are horribly over-priced. If you have 25 - 30 lakhs to spend, this is the way to do it. Congrats again over.drive and do drive safe.
Thanks GTO. A used well maintained 525/530 is a great choice if one is looking to spend around 25-30L on their next car. The car did not have BSI or extended warranty. I had to spend close to 27L for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Congratulations mate! She looks splendid. Wish you many happy miles.

On a separate note, how is the run flat tires ride especially considering that the tires would be a little older now. Also does the car have extended warranty?
Thanks Arun. I forgot to mention that the car does not have runflats. It runs on normal tyres. No extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Congrats, this is one car I would love to own. Seems to be in great condition too. Post some more pictures man

Also is this the new iDrive, or the older one?

The tyres seem to be switched out, are they still runflats?

Thanks akshay1234. The iDrive is the 1st Gen without the additional buttons. You are right, the tyres are not runflats. They are Appollo Aspire 245 R18. I'll check out the link, many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Congrats on this awesome purchase !!

Just one query. Is this covered by BSI? If not, is it possible to get BSI on a pre-owned car?
Thanks prkiran. No BSI. According to one of the posts I read (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...down-520d.html), I think I can still get BSI, but say if I choose for a 5 year plan, I'll only have the remaining 2 years left because the car is already 3 years old. I hope you get what I mean.
over.drive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 13:34   #7
gemi_kk

Beautiful car Overdrive.

I never thought that, people would be interested to buy a preworshipped one by spending 25-30Lakh. but the very first few lines you made about the depriciation made some real good sense. Maybe i need to start rethinking now.
Regarding price, i am not sure. but i am sure that, this car will last a lifetime because These are cars which were built with out thinking of cost cutting.

Old 23rd December 2012, 13:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Beautiful car Overdrive.

I never thought that, people would be interested to buy a preworshipped one by spending 25-30Lakh. but the very first few lines you made about the depriciation made some real good sense. Maybe i need to start rethinking now.
Regarding price, i am not sure. but i am sure that, this car will last a lifetime because These are cars which were built with out thinking of cost cutting.
Thanks gemi_kk,

It certainly does make a lot of sense to buy a premium car used, provided you find a well maintained car with proper service records and clean history. BMW used cars division (I think it is called Premium Selection) is a great place to look for such cars and I think they come with 1 year warranty too. They are overpriced though. The best thing would be to buy a car directly from a genuine owner. Chances are high that you will get a good deal with the highest value for your buck by dealing directly. I second your views about cost cutting in newer cars.
over.drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 13:57   #9
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 24th December 2012 at 16:02.
kedarwalke is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 23rd December 2012, 14:06   #10
BHPian

Superb!!

The car looks super opulent in that Monaco Blue shade . Top it, with the good-looking tread of the tires (Mistook them for Yokos )

How about sharing some interior snaps as well.
Old 23rd December 2012, 14:48   #11
BHPian

Thanks kedarwalke. F10 520d is a good car. I found a few F10s during my hunt. All were asking 33-37L. But like I mentioned in my original post, used car prices here are a bit higher. Plus it is year ending too. So you should find a good deal. However, I would recommend you to get a 525d if you can increase your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Superb!!

The car looks super opulent in that Monaco Blue shade . Top it, with the good-looking tread of the tires (Mistook them for Yokos )

How about sharing some interior snaps as well.
Thanks MetalBuff. I will post some more pics soon. The ones posted here are taken using my phone cam.

Last edited by GTO : 24th December 2012 at 16:03. Reason: Quoted post deleted
over.drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 21:22   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by over.drive View Post
Thanks akshay1234. The iDrive is the 1st Gen without the additional buttons. You are right, the tyres are not runflats. They are Appollo Aspire 245 R18. I'll check out the link, many thanks.
Well I would suggest you buy a tyre inflator in that case, since you don't wanna be stuck anywhere with a flat. Also I don't know how these Apollos are, but looking at the tread they will get noisy sooner rather than later as is the case with all V tread tyres. So wear em out quickly (let the tail swing out, full throttle starts etc) and get a nice set of Yokos or Michelins.

Suggest you pick up the black grilles, they will look really good.

Also this forum should help you too -
http://e60.5post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212

Also do a transmission reset since you are not the first owner, google how to do it for the E60.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 12:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by over.drive View Post

Thanks prkiran. No BSI. According to one of the posts I read (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...down-520d.html), I think I can still get BSI, but say if I choose for a 5 year plan, I'll only have the remaining 2 years left because the car is already 3 years old. I hope you get what I mean.
Is it possible to just get the BSI for a two year period only. From what I hear its a great thing to have.

Quote:

Also do a transmission reset since you are not the first owner, google how to do it for the E60.
The opinion on the web is divided on whether there is a long term adaptive learning of driving styles. Some say it is just the throttle maps readjusting and hat jappens each time the car moves from a standstill. How does this really help, I am still confused.
Old 24th December 2012, 15:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

over.drive congrats on your latest acquisition, E60. I would reiterate GTO's words, "You have certainly pushed pre-worshiped to a whole new level".

E60 is damn good looking car, with right amount of aggression and beauty. Never though people would buy a second hand 35-50 lac car, given maintenance cost & availability of parts.

Do keep us posted with service & faults found, if any. You have certainly given a great idea to me to look for car upgrade some years down the line.

If I did need to nitpick in the car, would be wipers are LHS. A bit trouble during south's torrential rains.

Drive safe. Can only imagine twice the torque of my Vento 1.6 TDi.
Old 24th December 2012, 15:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats overdrive. You got yourself a gem.
Quote:
Akshay, do they ship to India? How are the shipping costs / reliability?

Most Viewed