Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2012, 14:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: 2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!**

Congrats RavenAvi.
And welcome to the Ritzy owners club .
Its really nice to see that MS have come up with MID in the Ritz and also at-last they have fitted the car with D/N rear view mirrors .The rear view mirrors were driving me nuts when i had to remove the dark tints on my car.
The distance to empty feature will be really handy.
I will also check with local MASS over here to see if the new MID changes can be done to my Ritz also .
The previous gen Ritz's headlamps were absolutely useless on highways, so if you drive on highways i will advise get them changed to something better.

Also see if you can get the front bumper modified to something like this .I feel it will look good.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!**-20121227_112331.jpg  

Schoudhury is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 15:39   #17
BHPian

Many Congratulations again RavenAvi on your Sylver as well as for writing a great review.
I too have taken Delivery of my Silver Ritz VDI yesterday, with Red Interiors though. I am beginning to like it now:-).
Feels like Heaven graduating from an Alto to a Ritz VDI.

Got Nippon Keyless Entry and Reverse Parking Sensors fitted at the Dealer itself to avoid and Warranty Complications.
Also, upgraded the Stock Bridgestone Tyres to 185/70 R14 Yoko A-Drives.
The ICE will have to wait for some time, till i accumulate some Vitamin M.

Will try to post some Pics and pen a Review if possible. Am not too good at it though.
Happy Driving.
abhi3284 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 16:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
I too have taken Delivery of my Silver Ritz VDI yesterday, with Red Interiors though. I am beginning to like it now:-).
Congrats .
Does it mean , while buying Ritz you can actually the choose the color of the interiors , that's really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Also, upgraded the Stock Bridgestone Tyres to 185/70 R14 Yoko A-Drives.
The ICE will have to wait for some time, till i accumulate some Vitamin M.
The DDIS heart needs better rubber any day and its good that you got it done on the first day itself .

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 16:43   #19
BHPian

Hey Avinash,
Fantastic review mate. Loved the writing style immensely.
I like the car sans its rear view.
But this car offers very good practicality.
I feel its a combination of pluses of the Swift and Wagon -R's.
Hope to see you soon in Pune..

Cheers,
Abhijeet
coriollis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 17:01   #20
BHPian

Congrats for acquiring the face-lift Ritz. I believe this is the first one on the forum. Maruti, earlier used to provide body colored door handles and ORVMs for VDi. Now with ZDi they have stopped that also. Cost Control...eh.
The front looks chic with the new bumper and headlights, however, they could have worked more on the rear.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 20:13   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
I must applaud your writing skills. Ever contemplated about turning into an author? I am pretty sure, the response from the bhpians themselves will be quite over-whelming (that's 70000+ of us)
If I started writing then Chetan Bhagat might have to contemplate early retirement! Nah, words come automatically from the heart. I don't think I possess the skills necessary to be a full-time writer, my friend.

Quote:
The new Ritz is slightly better looking and gives you that distinct feel especially in this age when, all you see are Swifts being driven around everywhere (it's not the best seller for nothing but, the Ritz comes first for people who wish to have an uncommon car with decent boot + interior space)
Definitely. With the Swifts outnumbering the Ritzys around, it gives you that wee bit of exclusivity. Comparatively, you don't lose much except for better well-rounded looks and a few features here and there. I think it's a pretty sensible buy for someone who wants the DDiS but in a shorter, VFM car.

Quote:
And as for that vxi to vdi swap, that was a very good decision on your part. With Petrol prices soaring, a diesel car makes for a good buy. The difference between the petrol and diesel drivability for the DDiS is almost negligible. I couldn't complain much with the DDiS.
I have to credit Dad totally for that. And that fantastic offer which MSIL has come out for in December! Mouth-watering, and totally irresistible!

Quote:
Wishing your family many happy miles with the Sylver!

And now, with two down, looking forward to the EcoSport's ownership review as well. That shall conclude the tri-series. Haha
Thanks, buddy. Yes, hopefully the Ecosport joins our ranks in a few months' time to make our garage complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Fantastic report Avinash!

Most comprehensive report of Ritz I have come across on TBHP and I guess the first exhaustive report of the face-lifted Ritz. Silver looks good, but personally I love the Baker's Chocolate shade on the Ritz. Planning on any mods, especially alloys?

Wishing you and your family a safe and long journey with this one!
Thanks, Ajay!

Baker's Chocolate felt a bit dark for both of us. Dad isn't a fan of dark colors (although our Premier Padmini Deluxe BE was of a similar shade). He wanted the white but the Superior White provided by MSIL for the Ritz is a non-metallic color (unlike the Pearl White for the Swift which is a metallic shade), so we went for the next best - Silky Silver.

Not many mods planned for now. Maybe a tyre upgrade in a few months' time but that's it. For a beater car, it is advised to mod it to the minimum.

But, given my fascination for mods, who knows about the future? When there's enough in the bank account..

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
One of the best reviews. Congrats on your new ride. Ritz is indeed a "jack of all trades" kind of a car. And the diesel engine would surely keep the running costs extremely low.

Why didn't you consider the Figo when you had decided to stay with the dealerships in your city after ruling out Polo? Your dad had liked it and it is indeed more refined than the Ritz and way ahead in driving pleasure. The value of your esteem was anyways too small to be a deal breaking issue ( keeping emotions aside).
Thanks, doc saab.

There was no exchange offer for the Figo, neither in November or December. Figo petrol had discounts of 25,000/- and absolutely nothing on the Figo diesel. I had kept it in our to-be-considered list in case we had a decent offer from outside for our Esteem in the past 3 months. As it turned out, we got none.

We were pretty much stuck with Maruti-Suzuki, specially after the VW people couldn't match their December offer. We had already ruled out having 3 cars in the garage for now, since it's only me and Dad who are doing all the driving.

If/when I get the Ecosport, I will pass on Pegasus to Dad and the Ritzy will be used by my wife. That's still some time away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Isn't this the brake circuit? (Distributor)
Thank you. Yes, that is the distributor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Excellent review RavenAvi!! Loved it..

However, I am a bit cross at Maruti for omitting the body coloured mirrors and door handles in the facelift VDi. Seems they have made it similar to VXi in specs.

PS : <gloat> I told you so about availability of ABS versions! </gloat>
Thanks, buddy.

Oh yes, a glaring omission by them, IMO as well. How much does it cost to get body-colored handles and ORVMS? Around 2K-ish, maybe even less. For a car which costs ~6L ex-showroom, it's something which could have been thrown in, specially for the diesels. It makes sense to keep them black for the LXi/LDi, but at least for the VXi/VDi they should have provided it.

And you were right about the ABS variants! <stop gloating!>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Congrats RavenAvi.
And welcome to the Ritzy owners club.
Thanks, Schoudhury. Yours and blue_pulsar's were the first threads I checked out for feedback and inputs on the Ritz, after GTO's superb official review. Thank you for maintaining your log in such detail till now.

Quote:
I will also check with local MASS over here to see if the new MID changes can be done to my Ritz also.
I think it can be done. All they need is to swap the ODO with a newer one. It might be a bit pricey though.

Quote:
The previous gen Ritz's headlamps were absolutely useless on highways, so if you drive on highways i will advise get them changed to something better.
These new ones are good enough for in-city driving. Maybe the multi-reflector design has to do with the throws being better than the older version. Both low beam and high beam are decent. Maybe I will go for a pair of Osrams in the future.

Quote:
Also see if you can get the front bumper modified to something like this .I feel it will look good.
That's for Dad to decide. I will ask him if he feels the silver is a bit too garish for him, and take his approval for it. Personally, I think the black bit in the center looks quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
Hey Avinash,
Fantastic review mate. Loved the writing style immensely.
I like the car sans its rear view.
But this car offers very good practicality.
I feel its a combination of pluses of the Swift and Wagon -R's.
Hope to see you soon in Pune..

Cheers,
Abhijeet
Hey coriollis! I knew I was forgetting one of my close friends in my Chapters-thanking list!

Regarding the rear view, I think Maruti tried their hand at emulating the rear looks of the pre-facelifted Santro with the Ritz.

2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!**-santrorear.jpg

(Image courtesy: riotengine.in)

Where they went wrong was the boomerang-styled tail lights and the oversized rear bumper, which gives a disproportionate look to the entire rear. It specially didn't help that the central part of the rear lights are slightly protruding towards the front, when viewed from the side. They should have gone for smaller lights slightly down below where the original Ritzy's rear lights are (ala the Micra/Pulse), made the rear a bit more rounded, and reduced the fattiness of the rear bumper. Would have made the entire rear much more proportionate, IMO. (I am terrible with Paint/Photoshop skills or I would have made one to make the Ritzy's rear look much more lovable!)

Indeed, you can't beat the Ritz for it's sheer practicality and VFM offering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats for acquiring the face-lift Ritz. I believe this is the first one on the forum. Maruti, earlier used to provide body colored door handles and ORVMs for VDi. Now with ZDi they have stopped that also. Cost Control...eh.
The front looks chic with the new bumper and headlights, however, they could have worked more on the rear.
Thanks, my friend. I think some of our other T-BHP members have got a 2012 Ritz in-between but haven't posted their ownership threads yet.

Ah yes, they should have. The rear was left untouched and that is the biggest grouse people have with the Ritz. Maybe if they had incorporated some of the feedback they got from Ritzy fans on the facelift, the Ritz could have turned out to be a much better looking car. The front looks better than the pre-facelifted Ritz, but the rear still stands out as a glaring example of disproportionate design elements. Very lazy by Maruti.

Thank you so much for the good wishes, guys!

I am headed out to a New Year's party in 20 minutes so I take this moment to wish you all and your families a very prosperous, immensely successful and joyous New Year ahead! I love any/all feedback I get (either through PMs or in these threads) so keep in touch!

Ciao and cheers. Drive safe and keep revving!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 31st December 2012 at 20:16.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 21:05   #22
BHPian

Is the MID offered only in Face lifted RITZ VDI? I have a pre facelift RITZ VDI. I did not see this MID indicating DTE and FE business. I have not fully explored the console. I just take the car and drive. Or am i missing to note this detail in the pre facelift RITZ?
Old 31st December 2012, 21:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Is the MID offered only in Face lifted RITZ VDI? I have a pre facelift RITZ VDI. I did not see this MID indicating DTE and FE business. I have not fully explored the console. I just take the car and drive. Or am i missing to note this detail in the pre facelift RITZ?
Yup, its available only in the face lift Ritz.
I will check with the MASS to see if the New MID changes can be done in the previous version Ritz.
Old 1st January 2013, 01:15   #24
BHPian

Congrats on becoming the proud owner of a Ritz VDI.

My search began some time same as yours, and followed a similar path, EON, i10, Ford Figo Diesel, Swift VDI and finally Ritz VDI.

Mine is Red (Called new red) in colour with red interiors. (Possibly the only car in the market with matching interiors).

Booked on 27th & got delivery on 30th December 2012.

I am looking at AC & heater, lower running cost - petrol vs diesel, better handling on bad roads.

I guess I am due to get a lot more. Currently the car has run 155 kms and is returning a mileage of 6.3 kmpl (on information display).

I retained my M800 (March 2000 - 5 speed 12 valve MPFI non-AC) just for the mileage and easier handling. 17kmpl in congested Kolkata traffic (daily office commute) and 23kmpl on 4 lane highways (my frequent visits to my hometown 300kms away). Going strong on 39000kms plus.

Regards,
Saurav
sauravdc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 12:34   #25
BHPian

Congrats Sir Avi. Great review. I'm booking my autographed copy if you ever decide to write a book.

Interesting that you could get your dad off the "polo" hook. When my wife was shopping for her city runner, I did suggest her the polo. I know its 3-pot by I'll second your dad its not a car its a tank, and a very capable one at that. Anyway I had to yield and we got Brio-ed.

Wondering why Figo didn't make it till the end? Was "Herbie" resale the only factor? Couldn't you have found her a home rather than dealer exchange? Figo diesel was liked by your dad too IIRC.

Anyway hope Ritz fulfills the void left behind by Herbie both being from the same stable. Wish you a pleasant and equally hassle free ownership
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 17:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your buy! A perfect hatchback that gives you the feel and roominess of an MPV with a smaller manageable footprint! An added bonus is the awesome butter smooth Multijet under the hood. A very comprehensive review and it was interesting to note that the Ritz comes with rear 60:40 split seats and under seat storage trays. I'm sure the engine and mechanicals will give you a million miles of enjoyable driving pleasure. Have fun!
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 18:14   #27
BHPian

RavenAvi: Congrats on a fabulous purchase. Wish you many many miles and smiles with the car.

Your review is outstanding. For a moment it felt like I am reading a story!!!
Loved the way you explained the pros and cons with pictures.

Happy motoring!!
pradyblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 19:01   #28
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on a good buy. The very fact that it has brilliant ingress and egress forced me to get one for my dad too. Although since his driving very very sparse we went with the petrol.

Whenever I take it for a drive, I like it even more (I think I just commented the same in the other Ritz ownership thread too!). Brings a big smile to my face.

Congrats and wish your dad a long innings with this one; similar to the prior Herbie.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 20:07   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravdc View Post
Booked on 27th & got delivery on 30th December 2012.
Many, many congratulations too, Saurav. I know you made a very sound choice.

Quote:
I guess I am due to get a lot more. Currently the car has run 155 kms and is returning a mileage of 6.3 kmpl (on information display).
That is actually 6.3 liters per 100 kms, which translates roughly to a mileage of ~16 kmpl. Excellent within the city, IMO.

Please note that the MID's figure shows liters/100 kms.

Quote:
I retained my M800 (March 2000 - 5 speed 12 valve MPFI non-AC) just for the mileage and easier handling. 17kmpl in congested Kolkata traffic (daily office commute) and 23kmpl on 4 lane highways (my frequent visits to my hometown 300kms away). Going strong on 39000kms plus.
Excellent decision. I still miss my M800 for those quick, in-city dashes where I could ease it into the tightest of spots when I was in a tearing hurry. Those FE figures are astounding, even for the 800! Way to go. I hope your M800 serves you continuously for many, many more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Congrats Sir Avi. Great review. I'm booking my autographed copy if you ever decide to write a book.
Thank you, Arup. Boy that's a big compliment! Don't tempt me to start a new profession!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Wondering why Figo didn't make it till the end? Was "Herbie" resale the only factor? Couldn't you have found her a home rather than dealer exchange? Figo diesel was liked by your dad too IIRC.
Yes, unfortunately. We can't have 3 cars in the garage and one gathering dust, asking for more maintenance as the days rolled by. Figo was a strong contender, if only Ford's people were a bit more accomodating and we could find a buyer for Herbie. Check the "Used Car" thread - 7-8 year old Balenos are going at 1.5L, that too in bigger cities. Why would anyone be interested in a 1998 Esteem, that too in averagely-maintained condition, in a Tier-III city? Add to it the MP registration as well. We were pretty much stuck with Maruti Suzuki, so we went for their best offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Congrats on a good buy. The very fact that it has brilliant ingress and egress forced me to get one for my dad too. Although since his driving very very sparse we went with the petrol.

Whenever I take it for a drive, I like it even more (I think I just commented the same in the other Ritz ownership thread too!). Brings a big smile to my face.

Congrats and wish your dad a long innings with this one; similar to the prior Herbie.
Thank you, Amp!

Yes, the ingress/egress is just about right for everyone. I walk straight into the driver's seat and sink in within a matter of seconds, and I am all of 6'0". Can't beat the plushness of my Pegasus but it sure is comfortable enough inside the tall boy.

The driving experience has been superb so far. Except for slight bounciness at ultra-low speeds when negating speed breakers/pot holes, it's as good as any hatch out there. Haven't sat in the rear yet so can't comment on that, although I have a feeling that short/medium people shouldn't have any problem in the rear. For a tall fellow, the under-thigh support will be lacking, and the back is a tad upright.

I feel the steering is a bit heavier than my Honda City's EPS. Maybe it's because of the oil burner under the hood. No complaints though, because that translates to good feedback from it. (always been a fan of slightly heavier steerings than those dull, lifeless ones on the Hyundais and the Swifts/DZires)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Yes, the multi-information display is unique to the 2012 facelift.

Details about all the other "52" changes, as advertised by MSIL, can be found here in this official press release - http://www.marutisuzuki.com/maruti-s...tz-diesel.aspx

Last edited by RavenAvi : 1st January 2013 at 20:08.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 01:44   #30
BHPian

Very Very detailed and loved ther conversations pre-purchase. I specially liked the attention to detail given to all aspects of a car purchase as well as your thought process that went into buying one. The only thing that i find as a gross omission is the absence of ABS and Airbags. Drive anywhere in India and you must have these on every vehicle.
kpbhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks