Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2013, 19:48   #31
BHPian

re: City City Bang Bang! Ownership report of my Honda City SMT. EDIT: Sold after 7 years and 66,000 km!

Congrats! Nice report. Good choice of color.

Any issues with GC, the much touted negative of the City ? If you haven't had issues in Bangalore (with its infamous speedbreakers), then that should settle the matter.
Old 6th January 2013, 21:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
Congrats! Nice report. Good choice of color.

Any issues with GC, the much touted negative of the City ? If you haven't had issues in Bangalore (with its infamous speedbreakers), then that should settle the matter.
The new one has improved GC with 5mm extra. Gives the latest iteration a bit of a raised stance in the rear (not to my liking). Just a workaround rather than better suspension. IMHO.
Old 7th January 2013, 01:18   #33
BHPian

re: City City Bang Bang! Ownership report of my Honda City SMT. EDIT: Sold after 7 years and 66,000 km!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Buddy, HID's if installed as a genuine accessory from HASS then warranty is still valid. Though the HASS charges a ridiculous amount for that. I got mine from them when I bought my car for an incredibly low price (the dealer is our family friend)
Arup,

This is good news. But are not they illegal? Will they not blind the oncoming drivers? I had these concerns hence opted out.

How do they feel?Are they incredibly bright?

roadie_swift,Sn1p3r,

Any consideration of Auto Runners coil spring adjusters for improving ground clearance? Sudeepg has done this already.Check out my thread.

Last edited by charthom : 7th January 2013 at 01:21.
Old 7th January 2013, 07:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
For the sake of Mitsu and our driving enthusiasts, I really hope they ditch HM (amen) and launch the next Lancer in India.
I won't blame HM entirely for the lack of any updated Mitsubishi products. Mitsubishi by themselves are not doing too well which is probably the reason they are sleeping when it comes to updating their line up in India. To start, if the new Lancer has to come, it better have a very good diesel engine. Selling a petrol only model is not going to revive the brand. I am not going to bring in the Evo here, the last exciting car from Mitsubishi in India was the Outlander. So much potential, only dogged down by the lack of a diesel. I don't know what they were thinking when they decided to launch this car. We got the New Pagero Sport which is already a relic. Though it is the highest selling product, I don't see any reason why one should consider it unless you are a fan of the brand and truly appreciate what this car can do. It is really sad, they have a fully functional plant and from folk I know who have visited their Chennai plant, it is top spec. If only the plant was put to some good use.
Old 7th January 2013, 10:20   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
This is good news. But are not they illegal? Will they not blind the oncoming drivers? I had these concerns hence opted out. How do they feel?Are they incredibly bright?
Mate, HID's are all too common in Audis, Skoda's so I don't think it would be illegal. Yes you need to ensure the beam focusing needs to adjusted while installing else it "will" blind the oncoming traffic.

In my case I personally supervised the installation hence ensured that it perfectly acceptable for oncoming traffic. I have also deliberately lowered the high beam alignment slightly keeping this in mind.

Visibility is simply outstanding especially on highways. Have driven in crazy rains in the middle of the night on 2-laned highway and never felt wanting.

Only caution to be needed - avoid flashing them many times, it reduces life of the bulbs.
Old 7th January 2013, 13:53   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Mate, HID's are all too common in Audis, Skoda's so I don't think it would be illegal.
Ok,this is again good news.Are there different rules for original fitment and add on?

Arup, going off line in an hour's time.

roadie_swift,

Thanks for the opportunity to share info on your thread.I wish you all the well.
Old 7th January 2013, 15:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations roadie_swift on your transition to roadie_city . This color is the best looking one in my opinion on Honda city. Looks smashing with all the shining chrome up front. Keep it shining and hope you arn't living near some ever so common constructions in bangalore.

Quote:

However, what puzzles me is the behavior of this graph, when I remove all throttle input in any gear. Even though I am actually implementing engine-braking, which drives up the RPM on the tacho, Mr. Bar-graph happily climbs up to 40 kmpl. I cannot figure out how this can happen. I consistently tested this, from city flyovers to the sharp declines of Ooty-Coonoor ghats - it's always the same. Even on the highway, if I am trying to reduce my speed by downshifting, using the engine-braking, the RPM would rise considerably, and at the same time (displayed) FE rose to the max. Is this possible? Looking for Gurus' enlightenment on this behavior.
Maybe someone has already answered this question for you, but as far as i know that when you are going down hill with accelerator not pressed at all, the ECU is smart enough to sense that and cut off fuel supply to conserve and automatically kicks in when you press the pedal again. I don't have a city but I recently rented one in Thailand and found the bar graph maxxed out and showing 99 kmpl while going down hill. Seen similar behavior on other cars in US as well with MIDs showing instantaneous mileage.

Btw how is the ground clearance in Bangalore? How often and with how many ppl on board do you scrape?

Last edited by supertinu : 7th January 2013 at 15:59.
Old 10th February 2013, 14:21   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Btw how is the ground clearance in Bangalore? How often and with how many ppl on board do you scrape?
Hi guys, would appreciate if someone could update on the above ? City's original GC (160mm) was always an irritant for bangalore users. Would help to know for prospective buyers if the new increased GC / stiffer suspension (?) helps the case here .
Old 10th February 2013, 18:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by becar View Post
Hi guys, would appreciate if someone could update on the above ? City's original GC (160mm) was always an irritant for bangalore users. Would help to know for prospective buyers if the new increased GC / stiffer suspension (?) helps the case here .
Well in the 2012 edition they have marginally increased the GC to 165mm. Not sure about the stiffened suspension, though.

I have now completed more than 3000km, about 1200km out of those in Bangalore city. Not once have I had a scraping issue, even when I had 4 adults on board. Of course, goes without saying that I try and be VERY careful at all speedbreakers.

In fact, until now I have managed (!) to scrape her only once, very lightly and that was at a particularly nasty speedbreaker on our way to Gudalur, while I had 4 adults and one kid on board.

TL;DR I do not think GC is much of an issue, even in Bangalore city anymore, provided one is careful and slow.

Cheers,
R_S
Old 4th June 2015, 15:52   #40

Hi,

Finally after much procrastination and lots of advice from friends went in for Honda City Automatic. After having driven a Fiat Grande Punto diesel for more than 5 years( loved the solidness of the car). The Honda automatic experience was truly amazing. Wife was also equally happy with the choice of Honda as against the Hyundai Elite 120 diesel that i was originally contemplating. Booking experience with Sundaram Motors turned sour as the delivery promised was being delayed . As has already sold the Fiat Grande Punto was getting very frustrated and angry on the delay in delivery. Finally a friend told me to approach Olympia Honda who had a Top end Honda Automatic ready. Booked the car , arranged the finance , made payment and the car was delivered exactly 6 days later. Amazing experience even though had to shell out extra 2 lakhs for the top end. But the sun roof, Alloy wheels, leather seats, fog lamps , smart keyless entry etc made the excess palatable. Driving in city stop and go conditions and after 400 kms on the odo and kind of sad that the FE is only about 8.3 to 8.4. Can the guru s please advice. Driving only in Eco mode and in D. with the green ring around the odo all the time. The rpm not beyond 2000 , where am i going wrong please.
Would appreciate advice.

Other wise just loving the experience of driving a automatic in the chaotic Chennai Traffic.

Last edited by ampere : 4th June 2015 at 15:58. Reason: Formatted post
Old 31st March 2019, 20:41   #41
BHPian

City City Bye Bye - The End of an Affair

Well, as they say, all good things come to an end, sooner or later.

And I seem to have a particular affinity for "Out-of-state" police and the so called "Seven-year-itch", when it comes to ending my automotive relationships. After nearly 7 years and 66,000+ kms of happy ownership, I had to sell off my beloved Honda City, largely due to the same reasons why I had to sell my Swift -- Shifting of location, followed by trouble with the Police.

While I managed to drive the KA-registered City in Mumbai for almost 2 years, lately the cops seem to have become a little too aggressive. After a few repeatedly unpleasant interactions I realised I will need to say good bye to my City, if I am to drive fearlessly within Mumbai. (I know there are many out of state cars happily being used in Mumbai, but I personally don't like driving with a niggling worry in the back of my head). Also an out of state car (and a sophisticated sedan at that) is sometimes a tempting target for sons of the soil.)

And so it comes to pass, that the City has been sold off, and I am once again in the market for an upgrade. What is also fun to realise as I read my own 6 year old Post is that I am in an identical situation right now - deciding whether to go with the heart or the mind.

Ideally I should go with neither the heart nor the mind, but with the wallet - but then that good sense I left long back, didn't I?

So right now the heart says Octavia 1.8 TSI, while the mind says Corolla VL CVT.

I will keep you all posted on the developments, starting with the New Car Price Check Thread.

For now, though, I invite you to join me in waving a good bye to my City-City-Bang-Bang - The One I Loved After I Married Her.

Thank you.

Cheers,
R_S
roadie_swift is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2019, 21:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Re: City City Bye Bye - The End of an Affair

Quote:

So right now the heart says Octavia 1.8 TSI, while the mind says Corolla VL CVT.

R_S
Eyes closed, its the TSI + 6 year warranty + service maintainance package all that is available. Sleep like a baby and enjoy like a daddy.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks