Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:44   #16
BHPian

re: City City Bang Bang! Ownership report of my Honda City SMT. EDIT: Sold after 7 years and 66,000 km!

Whoa! What a new year gift for yourself! Congrats on the new acquisition and wish you a very happy motoring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
I tried to take a snap, but my mobile cam is not good enough to capture it in a moving car. Will try again and update soon.
Please don't! It looks like a sureshot way to take your eyes of the road!

Quote:
However, what puzzles me is the behavior of this graph, when I remove all throttle input in any gear. Even though I am actually implementing engine-braking, which drives up the RPM on the tacho, Mr. Bar-graph happily climbs up to 40 kmpl. I cannot figure out how this can happen. I consistently tested this, from city flyovers to the sharp declines of Ooty-Coonoor ghats - it's always the same. Even on the highway, if I am trying to reduce my speed by downshifting, using the engine-braking, the RPM would rise considerably, and at the same time (displayed) FE rose to the max. Is this possible? Looking for Gurus' enlightenment on this behavior. ...
Looks like a (software like) bug to me. The system sees miniscule petrol going into system (to aid braking) and car moving at decent speed. Mileage = Distance/consumption. With engine braking, consumption goes awfully low boosting the mileage!

Last edited by babu.sundaram : 3rd January 2013 at 19:46. Reason: paragraphing..
babu.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:08   #17
BHPian

re: City City Bang Bang! Ownership report of my Honda City SMT. EDIT: Sold after 7 years and 66,000 km!

Hey congrats on your awesome car R_S. The City is definitely an amazing car to own. Love the way you have described your relationship with the car, comparing it with human relationships!! Brilliant. Extremely well written post man

Quote:
However, what puzzles me is the behavior of this graph, when I remove all throttle input in any gear. Even though I am actually implementing engine-braking, which drives up the RPM on the tacho, Mr. Bar-graph happily climbs up to 40 kmpl.
This all comes down to how engines work while coasting or running in gear without throttle input or engine-braking. What happens is during this time almost no fuel is used up by the engine even if rpm is high. The kinetic energy is used to keep the engine running. When/if you apply the clutch/shift to neutral, lot of fuel is required just to keep engine at idling RPM. They say the best way to save fuel is coasting or engine braking when acceleration/active braking respectively is not required.

Of course i'm not an expert, but sort of know what happens. How/Why and rest of the 'WH' questions should be left to the experts!! Hehe.

Cheers! Loved your post. More pics please!!
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:28   #18
BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition. Wishing you many miles of happy journeys with her. Good choice of Color as well. The Red shade from FCX Clarity really looks well on the City and gels with the SMT alloys.

Quote:
However, what puzzles me is the behavior of this graph, when I remove all throttle input in any gear. Even though I am actually implementing engine-braking, which drives up the RPM on the tacho, Mr. Bar-graph happily climbs up to 40 kmpl. I cannot figure out how this can happen. I consistently tested this, from city flyovers to the sharp declines of Ooty-Coonoor ghats - it's always the same. Even on the highway, if I am trying to reduce my speed by downshifting, using the engine-braking, the RPM would rise considerably, and at the same time (displayed) FE rose to the max. Is this possible?
The same thing occurs in my Jazz as well. In-fact it would even show the average FE to be 35/36kmpl, if you drive along a slope, with no acceleration. But, i have not tested it when downshifting . Whenever i noticed it, it was when rpm was low(~idle rpm).A lower rpm means in a higher gear means better FE. So, it was justifiable. Will check on the same, while downshifting, as you said and let you know soon.
akhil_rpmlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 21:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well-composed review,and straight from the heart! Congrats on the new City. Wish you many happy miles on it!

I suggest you don't get bogged down with variations in the MID---each car has its own idiosyncracies. I've seen a Skoda Octavia RS having same kind of bizarre readings! The acid test is full tank to full tank, nothing else, period!

@Sandeepmohan--although I share your views that the new Classic is not as good as its predecessors in terms of trim and looks, I doubt if the dynamics have changed.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 21:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on getting the Honda City home. The color looks very good. But since Bangalore is very dusty now a days, it will keep you busy keeping it clean.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the car.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 21:20   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Many, many congratulations on acquiring the King of all petrol sedans as your companion, roadie_swift. There will be Vernas and Ventos and SX4s and Fiestas, but there will always be the distinct, unique personality of the City, wherever it goes, whoever beholds it. Trust me, in the days to come, you will definitely notice this, specially from the beholders who will gape at your red beauty (with some envy, I might add).

Excellent opening post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your buying experience which ended with the City, and I must say you could not have taken a better decision. I related to it because I went through almost a similar experience before Silver Pegasus entered my life from out of nowhere. And today, I am glad I went for the King. Nothing beats the smile on my face in the morning when I sink down into the driver's seat to crank up the engine!

Regarding the iffy 1st and 2nd gears, yes they are two small issues which will affect initial driving, specially during the cold months (and cold starts). Just remember to warm up the engine a bit after cranking it up. This issue should resolve by itself as you crunch the kms ahead. My Pegasus's 1st gear has smoothened out but the 2nd gear is still a bit iffy. Don't try to forcibly slot them in, but go for it as gently as possible. I am sure, with time, you will get the hang of it.

Reversing while the "C" (cold) icon is lit in the instrument console is not advised, however you can do it on an incline where you don't need to press on the accelerator. Remember to use fresh air/AC modes in equal intervals to keep the cabin fresh. If there's any sort of dust in your home/office area, it's advised to keep your windows shut at all times. It's a pain to clean the interiors, specially from finely-specked dust.

That Carnelian Red color looks superb! If they had offered it in the Corporate, I would have picked it in a flash! I don't see why Honda didn't offer it for the Corporate (just 2 colors on offer - non-metallic White and metallic Silver), but it's their decision. You will need to keep it polished and treated well for the shine to stay, though. It will need a bit of maintaining.

Treat your dream machine well and she will reward you with plenty of smiling miles ahead! It's a proven, bulletproof workhorse which should serve you and your family for a long, long time. I hope you keep your ownership thread regularly updated. Keep in touch!

All the best and a Happy New Year 2013 to you as well!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd January 2013 at 21:22.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 04:44   #22
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the City! Here's one and a red after quite some time.

I'm glad there have been so many positives for you. The lack of features eventually grows on you, so don't worry too much.

I'm slightly surprised ingress/egress is an issue for you; I find it rather convenient. You could perhaps check out another City to compare. Maybe those beadings or a cushion could help.

The damn dashboard is irritating - I've just left it as is. Not sure if polish has really eliminated the problem for anyone.

Regarding the headlights, as much as I agree that they aren't the brightest, I feel they are sufficient. If you do upgrade, do check with the bulb rating and then go ahead.

And yea, one more thing.. have a wonderful ownership period on this one!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 08:42   #23
jpm
BHPian

Excellent write up roadie swift.

In my own experience, our local Honda dealer was downright deceitful and that led me to the quite genial & courteous VW at our place, which was a nice surprise much contrary to t-bhp narratives.

Purely for that negative experience, I missed out on this gem.

For most of us here, a car is such an intimate purchase. A thing of engineering and technical marvel with a soul of its own.

That has just come out in your first post. Cheers!
jpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 09:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on an engaging log. Just one q - why not bought a diesel at that budget and running (16k/year is firm diesel territory nowadays)? a Sunny maybe?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 07:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Many congratulations for your new car.
Wish you loads of happy mile munching with the City.

The colour looks fantastic but might be difficult to maintain.
Thanks a lot! Yeah, it will be tough to maintain for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Hey R_S,

Congratulations man !!

You didn't tell me about the bank manager's comments about CEDIA.

I think they may be applied dashboard polish. I would suggest you to rub it off with a cotton cloth.

Please post interior pics.

Drive Safe and Keep us posted !!
Hey, thanks a lot buddy! Yeah it was sort of a painful thing to mention at the time lol. I'll try the cotton treatment for sure, and also more pics are coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
Congratulations!!!

BTW I must say your upgrade is quite an unusual one, I know some friends as well as some fellow bhpians upgrading from Swift to Vento. One never knows what one will like in what car

The "Likes" you have put forth are well commented till date; I will try to post my perspective on your dislikes:...
Thanks a lot, RemingtonSteele! Yeah I know, the Vento came very highly recommended, too! But petrol wasn't very exciting somehow, and the TDI Highline, which is the real McCoy, was a bit of a stretch. Plus the dealership experience... well, so.

Also thanks for your perspective, quite valid, I must say. I'm fairly sure I will get used to these in no time. And yes, regarding the ICE what you say is true - compared to some of the others, this one's definitely better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Congratulations!

It's a keeper, no niggles, no asking questions, just pure delivery of whats asked for 'car'.

You may ask as many questions about the car, mine is now 2.5 years old so know mostly about its behavior.

Drive by wire keeps the engine running when you take your foot off the accelerator thus making use of minimum fuel required, as the real time fuel indicator is only indicative it shows the amount of fuel used w.r.t the km you have covered. The engine does give 15 kmpl in city (driven sedately with low traffic) and 10kmpl if you get stuck in a jam. Over all it goes beyond the ARAI figure and astonish you with 22kmpl and if driven fast and furious you can expect 16kmpl on highways.

W.r.t the headlamps yes many owners have upgraded or waiting for the warranty to get over with. Horns are another weak link.

Slotting the car in initial km from cold start is also an issue as the gears aren't warm, in Delhi it is even worst. However, I will insist you change gears at right rpm speed to avoid this issue.
Thanks a lot Sn1p3r! /clap at your FE figures.. Hoping to coax something similar from my car, though I will probably have to curb the enthusiastic driving a little bit, huh? Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Hi Roadie_swift,

Congrats on the new buy mate!Good decision.The car oozes class-no one can deny it. Nice colour too.

Your opinion about front arm rest is spot on.But frankly,I did not feel the reflection that much! I have upgraded the head lamps-visibility is much better now.

charthom
Thanks a lot! I, too, am planning to upgrade the headlamps, but not really sure regarding the impact on warranty - And I'm not sure the showroom/workshop guys will give me authentic info regarding this. After all, it is in their interest if the warranty voids, non? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
Wearing sunglass with Polarizer lens should be able to care of the reflection.
Hmmm.. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to do a bit of research as to what these are, and the cost thereof. Any clue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Congratulations on the City! It's a wonderful car that almost always comes with a no-nonsense policy. Anyway, before you know you'll start loving Honda's now that you own one.

That hard gear shift that you're talking about immediately after cold starts, I had something like that in my Honda Jazz as well.
Anyway, happy mile munching! Drive safe.
Thanks a lot! Yes, I'm hoping this issue won't really be a bother, especially as I, too, have been in the habit of warming up the car before moving. It's just a quirk, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Excellent choice for your new car though I really wish the Fiat Linea T Jet was available. It does not have the overall quality and space of the Honda but the drive, in my opinion, is the best.

The Honda City is the safest choice in the segment. It is actually bomb proof.

The Mitsubishi might be the best drive in the segment but it is a really old model now and it does not come cheap even after the discounted price. If only Mitsubishi updated their line up in India, things would have been very different for this brand.

Same for the Ford Classic, I liked this car some time ago and in "S" trim, boy did it look good and was a true drivers car. Once again, too old to consider now and with Ford doing a lot of part sharing with the Figo, even the fully pimped out Classic looks sad. The engine is the only thing going for it now. I bet the dynamics are no longer as good. It is also quite expensive for a model that has been on sale for over 7 years.

Give the gearbox some time and it will be easy to use. It took some time for the shift quality to improve when I bought my car too.

Enjoyed reading your report.
Thanks a lot! Fully agree with you on Mitsu and Ford. For the sake of Mitsu and our driving enthusiasts, I really hope they ditch HM (amen) and launch the next Lancer in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Congratulation roadie!!! Interesting arranged marriage but one that will definitely last you a decade.

Buying an "H" is akin to saying, "Fill it shut it forget it".

You use use Phillips Extreme Vision or Osram Night Breakers to compensate. They are direct fit and don't require relays

Enjoy your ride and do keep updating your thread. Drive safe!!!
Thanks a lot Arup, also for your suggestion on the headlamps. I'll do some research on this, perhaps PM you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Hey roadie,
Congratulations.
This is the best, no-nonsense executive sedan.
This is same behavior with my Punto. As soon throttle is released, instant FE climbs to 50kmpl & I guess this should be true due to the fact that fuel supply is significantly reduced even though RPM is high. But yes, expert views are required here.
Thanks a lot! Yeah, I'm doing some trial-and-error experimentation on how the FE indicator behaves, and I think it may be more sensible than it seems. Will post in a separate reply once done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
First off, congrats pal. Welcome to the honda city brigade.
Thanks a lot! Looking forward to having a good time. Well I guess these negatives are probably just a matter of getting used to/working around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Congratulations brother!

The City looks smoking hot in this color. A worthy sucessor to the Hannabero Red shade. You were lucky enough to have landed up with Michelins

Needless to say, more pictures needed, please! The last shot is wallpaper material.

Any freebies with this purchase?
Thanks a lot, MetalBuff! Definitely lucky to get Michelins - And you have quite the eye, I must say! It's not too easy to make out in the pics.

On that note, yes more pics are on the way. I'm planning to take her to Mangalore soon, will probably click some nice ones along the way hopefully.

On freebies, not much - I got the reverse sensors and rubber mats, steering cover was promised but wasn't very good so let that go.

Cheers,
R_S
roadie_swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 10:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I, too, am planning to upgrade the headlamps, but not really sure regarding the impact on warranty - And I'm not sure the showroom/workshop guys will give me authentic info regarding this.
As per the SA-unless you install HIDs the warranty is valid. They suggested the correct upgrade too. But if the bulbs are too powerful the head light glasses may turn dark gradually.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 10:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Whoa! What a new year gift for yourself! Congrats on the new acquisition and wish you a very happy motoring!
Looks like a (software like) bug to me. The system sees miniscule petrol going into system (to aid braking) and car moving at decent speed. Mileage = Distance/consumption. With engine braking, consumption goes awfully low boosting the mileage!
Hey, thanks a lot! Hopefully the rest of the year will be as good, too, for all of us - or better! Yes, your explanation of the 'bug' seems logical. I will update soon after a few experiments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Hey congrats on your awesome car R_S. The City is definitely an amazing car to own. Love the way you have described your relationship with the car, comparing it with human relationships!! Brilliant. Extremely well written post man

This all comes down to how engines work while coasting or running in gear without throttle input or engine-braking. What happens is during this time almost no fuel is used up by the engine even if rpm is high. The kinetic energy is used to keep the engine running. When/if you apply the clutch/shift to neutral, lot of fuel is required just to keep engine at idling RPM. They say the best way to save fuel is coasting or engine braking when acceleration/active braking respectively is not required.

Of course i'm not an expert, but sort of know what happens. How/Why and rest of the 'WH' questions should be left to the experts!! Hehe.

Cheers! Loved your post. More pics please!!
Thanks a million, Thumpingheart, for your kind words! More pics are coming up, hopefully in a couple of days. Going on an official tour to Mangalore, but carrying my camera - more in hope than in realistic expectation!

Yes, the logic you have given seems perfect, am going to try and confirm if the economy (MID indicated) goes down at idling. If it does, then your observation would be spot on! Will keep the forum posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition. Wishing you many miles of happy journeys with her. Good choice of Color as well. The Red shade from FCX Clarity really looks well on the City and gels with the SMT alloys.

The same thing occurs in my Jazz as well. In-fact it would even show the average FE to be 35/36kmpl, if you drive along a slope, with no acceleration. But, i have not tested it when downshifting . Whenever i noticed it, it was when rpm was low(~idle rpm).A lower rpm means in a higher gear means better FE. So, it was justifiable. Will check on the same, while downshifting, as you said and let you know soon.
Thanks a lot! Please do let me know your observations on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Well-composed review,and straight from the heart! Congrats on the new City. Wish you many happy miles on it!

I suggest you don't get bogged down with variations in the MID... The acid test is full tank to full tank, nothing else, period!
Thanks a lot, vnabhi! Absolutely true, what you have mentioned - full tank to full tank is the real test. I'm going to do that over the next few days and do a comparo with the MID. I know there's not much point in toying too much with the MID, but hey - it's a shiny new toy, right? ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on getting the Honda City home. The color looks very good. But since Bangalore is very dusty now a days, it will keep you busy keeping it clean.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the car.
Thanks! Hopefully I won't have too much trouble with it, though - I stay in Cooke Town, so lots of greenery and not a lot of dust - as yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Many, many congratulations on acquiring the King of all petrol sedans as your companion, roadie_swift. There will be Vernas and Ventos and SX4s and Fiestas, but there will always be the distinct, unique personality of the City, wherever it goes, whoever beholds it. Trust me, in the days to come, you will definitely notice this, specially from the beholders who will gape at your red beauty (with some envy, I might add).

Excellent opening post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your buying experience which ended with the City, and I must say you could not have taken a better decision. I related to it because I went through almost a similar experience before Silver Pegasus entered my life from out of nowhere. And today, I am glad I went for the King. Nothing beats the smile on my face in the morning when I sink down into the driver's seat to crank up the engine!

Regarding the iffy 1st and 2nd gears, yes they are two small issues which will affect initial driving, specially during the cold months (and cold starts). Just remember to warm up the engine a bit after cranking it up. This issue should resolve by itself as you crunch the kms ahead. My Pegasus's 1st gear has smoothened out but the 2nd gear is still a bit iffy. Don't try to forcibly slot them in, but go for it as gently as possible. I am sure, with time, you will get the hang of it.

Reversing while the "C" (cold) icon is lit in the instrument console is not advised, however you can do it on an incline where you don't need to press on the accelerator. Remember to use fresh air/AC modes in equal intervals to keep the cabin fresh. If there's any sort of dust in your home/office area, it's advised to keep your windows shut at all times. It's a pain to clean the interiors, specially from finely-specked dust.

That Carnelian Red color looks superb! If they had offered it in the Corporate, I would have picked it in a flash! I don't see why Honda didn't offer it for the Corporate (just 2 colors on offer - non-metallic White and metallic Silver), but it's their decision. You will need to keep it polished and treated well for the shine to stay, though. It will need a bit of maintaining.

Treat your dream machine well and she will reward you with plenty of smiling miles ahead! It's a proven, bulletproof workhorse which should serve you and your family for a long, long time. I hope you keep your ownership thread regularly updated. Keep in touch!

All the best and a Happy New Year 2013 to you as well!
Hey, a post from the owner of The King! Your thread was quite an inspiration for me, when I was doing the pre-purchase research. Thanks a lot for your good wishes! I will definitely keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Congratulations on the City! Here's one and a red after quite some time.

I'm glad there have been so many positives for you. The lack of features eventually grows on you, so don't worry too much.

I'm slightly surprised ingress/egress is an issue for you; I find it rather convenient. You could perhaps check out another City to compare. Maybe those beadings or a cushion could help.

The damn dashboard is irritating - I've just left it as is. Not sure if polish has really eliminated the problem for anyone.

Regarding the headlights, as much as I agree that they aren't the brightest, I feel they are sufficient. If you do upgrade, do check with the bulb rating and then go ahead.

And yea, one more thing.. have a wonderful ownership period on this one!
Thanks a lot! Yeah I'm sure things will only become better going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
Excellent write up roadie swift.

In my own experience, our local Honda dealer was downright deceitful and that led me to the quite genial & courteous VW at our place, which was a nice surprise much contrary to t-bhp narratives.

Purely for that negative experience, I missed out on this gem.

For most of us here, a car is such an intimate purchase. A thing of engineering and technical marvel with a soul of its own.

That has just come out in your first post. Cheers!
Thanks a lot, JPM. You've summarized quite nicely how almost metaphysical our relation with our machines is! Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Congrats on an engaging log. Just one q - why not bought a diesel at that budget and running (16k/year is firm diesel territory nowadays)? a Sunny maybe?
Hi Phamilyman, thanks a lot for your compliments. Your question is one that I had struggled with, myself, and also was asked by quite a few of other friends, too. However, to put it in a nutshell, I do not believe the disparity between Petrol and Diesel will continue for a longish time - at least not to this extent. And even in the present scenario, if you consider the cost of acquisition difference between Petrol and Diesel cars, it would be approximately 80k odd kilometers on the odo, before I actually break even and start benefiting from having bought a Diesel.

Also, the Sunny is quite nice, but the overall feeling I got from TBHP review was that it was a competent and spacious city car, but not really great shakes on handling and outright performance. Also at 85 bhp, it didn't really feel like an upgrade on my Swift.

But I do see the sense in your words, and sincerely hope I won't have to eat mine at a later date .

Cheers,
R_S
Old 6th January 2013, 11:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but not really great shakes on handling and outright performance. Also at 85 bhp, it didn't really feel like an upgrade on my Swift.

But I do see the sense in your words, and sincerely hope I won't have to eat mine at a later date .

Cheers,
R_S
Dont worry !! Diesel prices are set to go only north and diesel boom is gonna end sooner or later.

Yeah and when we upgrade we need more horses dont we ?
Old 6th January 2013, 15:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
As per the SA-unless you install HIDs the warranty is valid. They suggested the correct upgrade too.
Buddy, HID's if installed as a genuine accessory from HASS then warranty is still valid. Though the HASS charges a ridiculous amount for that. I got mine from them when I bought my car for an incredibly low price (the dealer is our family friend)
Old 6th January 2013, 16:23   #30
BHPian

Congratulations on your new vehicle. Wish you many many happy miles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks