Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:48   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Congrats on the ride buddy!! Wish you tons of happy miles ahead. How would you compare the steering of the F30 with the E90 in terms of precision, etc? (Read that you drove the 330i but the steering is same in all the E90 LCis that were manufactured "10 onward). Please share some more pics, & if possible a side-by-side comparison with that 330i There aren't any thread I can think of (even on the E90Post) which has photos of the STOCK E90 LCI and STOCK F30 side-by-side.
I drive a 330i and I can confirm the 2010 E90 that I have has a slightly heavier steering, esp in slow traffic, and ridiculously stiff suspension which is good nowhere other than a track, but all of this means a razor sharp handling which can outmatch some Porsches.
The F30 has slightly more body roll even in Sports Mode but that is not much noticeable and much much more compensated in its brilliant-perfect-for-India suspension setting in Comfort mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Are others (Mercedes & Audi) coming up as well?
No not anytime now. But I bet once Beemer sales pick up following opening of sales in Siliguri, Audi will also want a piece of the cake.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd January 2013 at 22:37. Reason: Please use multiquote (QUOTE+ on each post, and then "NEW REPLY") rather than making consecutive posts. Thanks.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 00:02   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
There aren't any thread I can think of (even on the E90Post) which has photos of the STOCK E90 LCI and STOCK F30 side-by-side.
My F30 with Bhpian Akshay1234s E90 LCI at a recent drive to Kasara Ghat, Igatpuri

My BMW 320D Luxury Line-image1305617479.jpg

My BMW 320D Luxury Line-image1779274587.jpg

Last edited by karan561 : 23rd January 2013 at 00:04.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 00:14   #18
BHPian

Re: My BMW 320D Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
My F30 with Bhpian Akshay1234s E90 LCI at a recent drive to Kasara Ghat, Igatpuri

Attachment 1041450

Attachment 1041451
Thanks bro Nice visual treat to see two German hotties together... The Performance/CF Grille certainly makes the front of the E90 LCI look a lot more wider.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:21   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
but all of this means a razor sharp handling which can outmatch some Porsches.
Porsches? Which dud Porsche/s (make that plural, right?) would that be? Discounting Cayenne of-course.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Porsches? Which dud Porsche/s (make that plural, right?) would that be? Discounting Cayenne of-course.
The 330i, 335i, and their all wheel xDrive versions, in The E90 range were the last of the naturally aspirated and turbo pure-breeds that BMW produced. And yes numerous tests have compared their perfect weight distribution, handling, and precision of steering to the likes of Caymans and 911s.
Though the simple 6 speed gearbox is now gone, and so has the rev happy engine and its note, I can still say the core sports sedan character of 3 is very much retained in its latest F30 attire.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
I drive a 330i and I can confirm the 2010 E90 that I have has a slightly heavier steering, esp in slow traffic, and ridiculously stiff suspension which is good nowhere other than a track, but all of this means a razor sharp handling which can outmatch some Porsches.
The F30 has slightly more body roll even in Sports Mode but that is not much noticeable and much much more compensated in its brilliant-perfect-for-India suspension setting in Comfort mode.

No not anytime now. But I bet once Beemer sales pick up following opening of sales in Siliguri, Audi will also want a piece of the cake.
>>>

haldar_siliguri,

Your 330i has the legendary N52 B30 naturally aspirated in line six, one of the truly great engines in BMW's armoury.
Can you tell us the differences between your car's hydraulic steering and the electrical steering of the 320 d (F30) under city and highway driving? How comfortable are you with the information filtering to your finger tips from the E90 and the F30 in both cases?

Regards
issigonis
Old 23rd January 2013, 13:19   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

haldar_siliguri,

Your 330i has the legendary N52 B30 naturally aspirated in line six, one of the truly great engines in BMW's armoury.
Can you tell us the differences between your car's hydraulic steering and the electrical steering of the 320 d (F30) under city and highway driving? How comfortable are you with the information filtering to your finger tips from the E90 and the F30 in both cases?

Regards
issigonis
His 330i too would have Servotronic steering, which is electrohydraulic. Still much better feel than the F30s steering. I had compared them in the F30 official review, you can check that for more details.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 07:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

haldar_siliguri,

Regards
issigonis
I have not yet been able to drive the F30 320d much in the sense that I cannot give you enough information regarding the steering of the same, esp in the highway.
However, as for the E90, the heaviness of the steering requires a well-gymmed hand to flick it around in slow moving city traffic. Information filtering as you ask, is still as good as it is in high speed. Just that its so heavy. All I can say is that in the city, I tend to get frustrated battling with the heavy steering in Siliguri traffic which was quoted somewhere as having the slowest city traffic in India.
Having said that, information filtering, (my bragging aside ) is so good in hi speed, you realise why the steering is made so heavy in the first place. You can actually and literally use just your right hand to drive the car even on a racetrack, no pun intended. The car is that direct and that responsive to your input. Enough said.

Regds

Last edited by haldar_siliguri : 24th January 2013 at 07:58.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 22:52   #24
BHPian

Congratulations partik! The F30 is a brilliant choice and the color combination you opted for looks great.
Didn't see you mention anything about BSI though. Did you opt for it? Also could you please elaborate on what Secure Advance is?
Old 11th June 2014, 12:25   #25
BHPian

Pratik, good choice. I think I see your ride now and then when I am jogging. The other day I was running in the evening, wearing earphones (not the shut-out-the-road-noise types, but the ones that let in road sound) and heard a great roar. Without looking back, I thought it was rain or a thunderstorm approaching! And then your 320 passed by. Great sound!

Last edited by johy : 11th June 2014 at 12:27.
Old 11th June 2014, 15:43   #26
BHPian

Hi,

Congrats on your new 320 d great car and good combo, not trying to hijack your thread, I myself after having lot of engine trouble with the E-90 and BMW India (Big Fight) bought a brand new 320 d F 30, white with red interiors sports line.

I still miss my E-90 purely due to the great stiff suspension and the confidence to push the car to any limit any road. But the overall package in the F30 is great, good interior now, better leg room in the rear and great stance and closer to a 5 series.

I have installed the M power kit in the car, infact took the delivery with the power kit. It gives that extra boost to the engine though it is not that the stock engine is any less, but I wanted that extra power in my ride.

The suspension is good overall for city and highway (though I still love E90 suspension), the steering gets heavy as E90 only when you in sports mode. But Mumbai roads you cant be on sports mode, no place to punch the power.

Overall I am still super happy with the overall package the car offers, so congrats mate and welcome to the club.

Happy revving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks