Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2013, 09:24   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

Dear Shankar,

It was not about the remap and SKODA has to honour warranty.

Restricting the 4x2 to 110HP is what I think is unfair, when the part numbers of the clutch,injectors etc match with the 140HP engine.

Edited the previous post for more clarity.

This has the potential to become OFFTOPIC. Please PM me if you have any other questions.
Actually the 4x4 comes with the Haldex clutch system. I am not sure about the 4x2 but I would imagine they would not have the Haldex in it.
Old 20th January 2013, 09:31   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 - Purchase and initial ownership experience

Samyboy, thanks for the review. Very well summarized with excellent pictures. The Mato brown Yeti on the wet floor looks extremely fresh and crisp.

Good choice there with the Ambition trim. Except for the additional airbags, the Ambition is quite well loaded on safety as well (including ESP).

I agree with Shankar on the tuning box. 110ps is quite sufficient for normal driving in our road conditions. Keep updating the thread with your ownership experience. Drive safe!
Old 20th January 2013, 11:06   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Actually the 4x4 comes with the Haldex clutch system. I am not sure about the 4x2 but I would imagine they would not have the Haldex in it.
The haldex clutch is the 4x4 system. It controls the power split between front and rear. The 4x2, well, is a 4x2 so it won't have a haldex clutch. But the normal clutch is the same is what F150 is trying to say.

Personally, as long as the remap is done by a reputed tuner, I would not hesitate to go for it. In fact I am planning on getting one on my Skoda in the near future. Just to decide who from.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 11:26   #19
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for putting it up on the board. Would help many, I must say. I am surprised that at whatever interior pics you have posted, one can't really make out that it is not Elegance 4X4

Can you please do a comparo between both. That would make it ideal.

Thanks once again
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 12:45   #20
BHPian

Excellent review. Lately, few BHPians have been picking out the Yeti. The unconventional looks does render it a second glance.
BTW, what has been your kmpl figures?
Old 20th January 2013, 15:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
Steeroid, I find following problems with this approach

1. There is a turn around time of about 7 days - of sending ROM over to Pete's and getting it back for installation. It's not flashed in Mumbai but done at Cochin.

2. God forbid, if there is an accident and we have to get things fixed, It would be too impractical to get car to Pete's local outlet have EUC removed, sent it over and then put it back once stock flashed. Same will be case in case something malfunctions.
There is talk about the possibility of switching maps between stock and upgraded with a remote - I am not sure how that works, but apparently that allows the user to switch back to the stock map when giving it in for service.
Old 20th January 2013, 19:30   #22
BHPian

Congrats Samyboy! Nice review. Nice color with understated elegance.

I have been a backseat passenger on highway trips in my friend's Yeti and found it to be a great car (nay SUV) - nice ride and also seemed to handle really well. The experienced driver at wheels managed to stall it couple of times (after braking suddenly) and I was a bit surprised (now I see the reason). Also, the back seat felt a bit uncomfortable after couple of hours - it may just be because I was not at the wheel :-)

I wonder whats with VW and Skoda dealers. I have been to Skoda and VW dealers in Bangalore and I see lack of energy at best and lack of professionalism at worst. Looks like this problem is not limited to Bangalore. They all seem to have a take it or leave it attitude! Also they create doubts in customer's mind about their decision to buy the car. Had exactly same experience whey I bought my Vento.

Last edited by pc73 : 20th January 2013 at 19:32.
pc73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 19:54   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review. I am quite happy that you chose the vehicle based on your usage and also have kept the money aside in case something goes wrong! Excellent thoughts. And that color is my fav in Skoda stable. Love that Yeti, Laura & Rapid in those colors. If I ever buy a Skoda, it will be that color.

Congrats on the car and wish you miles of happy & safe motoring!
Old 25th January 2013, 13:24   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 - Purchase and Initial Ownership Experience

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 13:23   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Samyboy, thanks for the review. Very well summarized with excellent pictures. The Mato brown Yeti on the wet floor looks extremely fresh and crisp.

Good choice there with the Ambition trim. Except for the additional airbags, the Ambition is quite well loaded on safety as well (including ESP).

I agree with Shankar on the tuning box. 110ps is quite sufficient for normal driving in our road conditions. Keep updating the thread with your ownership experience. Drive safe!
I had visited the Skoda shop in Marathahalli today to pay a bill for a service job.
As I pulled up I saw a driver bloke parking a test vehicle in the 4x2 avatar of the Skoda Yeti.
I took that vehicle for a quick few minutes TD. It feels just like driving a Laura. Brilliant response. 110BHP is punchy enough for our city conditions. The single mass flywheel clutch system is certainly more user friendly than the dual mass flywheel in the 4x4's Haldex Clutch system. This particular vehicle has done 7500km as opposed to mine which has now clocked 14000kms.
It rides well, feels good and the Ambition trim is reasonably well equipped too. I enjoyed the drive- rather like driving a big high set VWGolf hatchback.
A very good buy indeed, in my opinion, for someone who is happy with a car-like, comfortable, solid, safe, refined daily driver 4x2 vehicle which is quite high off the ground to handle the rubbish roads of Indian cities.
Top car I would say! Absolutely the perfect vehicle for a quality and safety conscious, reasonably well off, slightly sophisticated, reasonably well travelled/ exposed upper-middle class couple in their mid to late 'Thirties, with a little kid or two and an active outdoorsy lifestyle. Also for a well- heeled peson in their twenties or the late teenaged son/ daughter of a rich person! Talk about type-casting! Ha!
Truly, the Duster only wins on price as does the XUV. Neither of those two come close to the 4x2 Yeti in terms of fit, finish,sophistication, finesse, proper tested working safety features, quality, feel, drive ability, parkabiity, use ability, and comfort as a daily driver.
I m gad that more people are beginning to appreciate the LittleBigFoot for what it is...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th February 2013 at 13:34.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 13:57   #26
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 - Purchase and Initial Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Top car I would say! Absolutely the perfect vehicle for a quality and safety conscious, reasonably well off, slightly sophisticated, reasonably well travelled/ exposed upper-middle class couple in their mid to late 'Thirties, with a little kid or two and an active outdoorsy lifestyle.
Shankar, when I read and re-read your Yeti thread I thought to myself, now only if I could have an impression from you on my, at that time planned 4 x 2 Yeti.. Now I have it. You said everything I have thought of her and for sure you said it better.
Quick update too.. Mahabaleshwar travel over 600 round trip from Mumbai - trip mileage using tank auto-cut method was 16.76 Km/Ltr. I know many folks get far better highway mileage but I am a bit of spirited driver and I never do 80km/hrs. on sweet open stretches just to get some number on my mileage. I am happy with whatever get for the driving experience that I like.
Old 16th February 2013, 14:14   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post

Shankar, when I read and re-read your Yeti thread I thought to myself, now only if I could have an impression from you on my, at that time planned 4 x 2 Yeti.. Now I have it. You said everything I have thought of her and for sure you said it better.
Quick update too.. Mahabaleshwar travel over 600 round trip from Mumbai - trip mileage using tank auto-cut method was 16.76 Km/Ltr. I know many folks get far better highway mileage but I am a bit of spirited driver and I never do 80km/hrs. on sweet open stretches just to get some number on my mileage. I am happy with whatever get for the driving experience that I like.
Samyboy!

Thats cool! I think each person ultimately makes a choice that suits him or her best!
In all honesty, I realized today that I could have done just as well with the 4x2 trim.

A few things lacking are of course the touchscreen system and many airbags and many buttons that do many things which are beyond the ken of ordinary dunderheads like myself!

However, were they to offer a 4x2 L&K trim with an AT option somewhere in their lineup, there would be loads of takers for it. I think it is only now almost 3 years since its launch in India, that people are beginning to appreciate it for what it is.

They have an Alpine Green shade and a Rosso Brunello etc in their Europe line up. Wish they would offer those colours for us too. At least as a choice for someone who is willing to wait. After all these are CKD's and hence it ought to be easier to import the colours one wants!

Our market is maturing, slowly but surely and I am glad!
Now, take a look at this link and make yourself happy about how good your 4x2 Yeti really is!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/winter-tyres-vs-4x4

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th February 2013 at 14:17.
Old 16th February 2013, 16:47   #28
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

That is fantastic. How would a 4*4 Yeti on winter tyres do? I think that would an interesting test.
Old 16th February 2013, 17:30   #29
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

http://www.baileycar.com/winterdrive_html.html

Found this by googling. It does seem to suggest that winter tyres boost 4wd braking performance also.
Old 16th February 2013, 17:50   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
http://www.baileycar.com/winterdrive_html.html

Found this by googling. It does seem to suggest that winter tyres boost 4wd braking performance also.
Well certainly the Winter tyres would make the 4x4 Yeti's performance way way better. There is no doubt about it.
4x4 is certainly better for conditions of slush, snow, ice etc but it absolutely has to be equipped with the right tyres and/ or snow chains as required as well, which is why the whole Winter tyres concept exists.
The comparison posted in the link is a real eye opener in some ways, to the importance of the right shoes for the vehicle, depending on the usage patterns!

Most Viewed