Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2013, 10:39   #31

Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 - Purchase and Initial Ownership Experience

A quick question to Sammyboy (and Shankar)

Backdrop. Me and a colleague of mine are close to buying the Yeti. Question in front of us is the choice between Ambition 4x2 and Ambition 4x4 (Elegance is ruled out).

I do a decent amount of off-roading (not the types which would necessitate a 4x4 though). Love driving out in the monsoons and doing long distance travels. Want a car that can take on most of the Indian turf.

I have test driven both these cars and find the 4x2 is peppier at less than 80km/hr speeds. Race from 60 to 100 km/hr is even but thereafter the 4x4 shows the difference with its higher state of tune.

Questions. Can the 4x2 take up decent amount of off-roading? Ever felt the lack of power (in relative terms) during long distance travel? And what upgrades have you considered for the ICE Head Unit?

Srini
ps I am upgrading from a Ford Fusion abused on all sorts of turf. Was a joy to ride.
Old 24th February 2013, 16:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini09 View Post
Can the 4x2 take up decent amount of off-roading?
ride.
Shankar is better equiped to answer this as he has interest in off-roading. If you ask my opinion I think it can with her ground clearance. Some folks even to the 4x4 avatar, call a soft-roader so if you intend some serious off-roading then Yeti itself may not be the best option. I am a city slicker and bad Mumbai roads - which today are plenty are the only off-roading opportunity for me.

Quote:
Ever felt the lack of power (in relative terms) during long distance travel?
Absolutely not. Just went to Mahabaleshwar trip with 4 adults and 2 small kids with 4 days worth luggage stuffed - she pulled and pulled and pulled. No concern about power what-so-ever.

Quote:
And what upgrades have you considered for the ICE Head Unit?
I decided leave electricals in this car alone. Even the current swing unit is pretty good for me. Only thing I really miss is ability to play memory cards. I have to burn MP3-CDs and play them. I am not considering any upgrade as yet. Yes, for GPS unit, I have Garmin 2565 which also doubles as bluetooth unit.

Wish you all the best with Yeti purchase. May our tribe grow!
Old 24th February 2013, 17:07   #33
BHPian

Quote:

Can the 4x2 take up decent amount of off-roading?
@srini09 - taking the liberty of responding to this.

You might want to consider the 4x4 for reasons beyond wilful off-roading. The ability of the car to transfer max torque to the wheel(s) that has more traction is a useful safety feature.

Since you mention that you love driving out in the monsoons - I can relate a personal experience of driving my Yeti in hard rain on NH4 where it handled an aquaplaning situation with such élan, the investment in the 4x4 version surely felt justified. I'm sure a FWD car would find it difficult to control the slide in such a situation.
Old 25th February 2013, 12:32   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoom View Post
@srini09 - taking the liberty of responding to this.

You might want to consider the 4x4 for reasons beyond wilful off-roading. The ability of the car to transfer max torque to the wheel(s) that has more traction is a useful safety feature.

Since you mention that you love driving out in the monsoons - I can relate a personal experience of driving my Yeti in hard rain on NH4 where it handled an aquaplaning situation with such élan, the investment in the 4x4 version surely felt justified. I'm sure a FWD car would find it difficult to control the slide in such a situation.
Thanks xoom. Helpful. Now it is down to my negotiation skills

Srini
Old 27th February 2013, 16:20   #35

Quote:
Thanks xoom. Helpful. Now it is down to my negotiation skills

Srini
Went ahead and booked Ambition 4x2 Yeti. Black color. Thanks sammyboy and xoom for the inputs. 4x4 was not available in Stock! I wanted to book before budget.

Srini
Old 27th February 2013, 19:02   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Went ahead and booked Ambition 4x2 Yeti. Black color. Thanks sammyboy and xoom for the inputs. 4x4 was not available in Stock! I wanted to book before budget.

Srini
Congratulations Srini. Yeti in black suit looks stunning. Just one comment, I think effective price is the one valid on the day of delivery. I guess you might have some arrangement with dealership or else the pre-budget price is not really meaningful. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:58   #37
BHPian

I had my first brush with the Skoda A.S.S this week. Yeti completed 6 months and was due for “free checkup”. I secure appointment and reach Autobahn’s Kurla service center.

Along with checkup I asked to change setting to display km/ltr instead of ltr/100 kms. The service associate had difficulty in understanding what am I talking about but after lots of explaining and writing down on paper I think I made the point. After more checks , filling the service form this person asked me if my Yeti is Diesel vehicle. You can only image how disappointed I was hearing this. So Skoda’s own service center person does not know that only Diesel yetis are sold in India. That aside, can you not see the letters TDI on the engine in front of you? I realized that this was a good time to start praying to the God.

I was promised delivery of car back at 4pm.. I reach there on the dot after confirming over phone that car is ready. It took 2 hours to just hand over the car back to me. I keep getting reason that the “system” is slow and invoicing is taking time. Of course, setting change to Km/Ltr is not done. I asked to see the manager. He asks to give him some time to figure this out. I said I can not wait it’s already 6pm by now and what plans to do now should have been done earlier in the morning.

Conclusion:

1. Skoda service associates lack basic knowledge about the product they are suppose to maintain
2. Service center folks blame their inefficiency on the “system” that’s operating slow.
3. They have no regard for customer’s time. Of course! Customer can wait a couple of hours for car to be handed back to them on a working day.

Politely, I asked him to give me official complaint book, smart sole there points me to a “visitor book”. I refuse and asked for Skoda complaint book. Finally he comes back with a Skoda feedback form. I do intend to fill it in/scan it and email it to email address given to me.( customercare@skoda.co.in )

My request to other Skoda owners, let’s go back to Skoda if you are not satisfied with level of service and let’s say it every time you encounter it. That’s the only way to bring about the changes.
Fellow Yeti Ambition trim owners who have changed this ltr/100 km setting on Ambition owner, is there path/reference to this option on VAGCOM/Ross tech interface I can tell these jokers the next time I go there?

There is a bright side to the lack of knowledge these jokers demonstrate. Any custom mods like Tuning box or ECU upgrade, I really don’t think they can figure it out.
samyboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:28   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
Yeti completed 6 months and was due for “free checkup”.

After more checks , filling the service form this person asked me if my Yeti is Diesel vehicle. You can only image how disappointed I was hearing this.

I was promised delivery of car back at 4pm.. I reach there on the dot after confirming over phone that car is ready. It took 2 hours to just hand over the car back to me. I keep getting reason that the “system” is slow and invoicing is taking time.
The moment I read the opening part of this post about the "free checkup" I started laughing...

You must be one proud customer - they "checked" your car whole day - for free. And you are one brave man I must say - you asked a "skoda dealer" to touch a part in your car that is working fine!!! Even God will not save you next time you do such a thing.

The rules I follow for my TSi:
1. I don't go to the dealer if I don't have to. I cleaned the air filter, cabin A/C filter, changed a headlamp bulb myself. Yet, once upon a time, I could not find the wiper blades in Pune and innocently (or was I absent minded) went to the dealer for those and they exploited me for 3 hours. I don't even feel like saying "hi" to those guys if I bump into them anywhere in Pune. I am always afraid that they will rob me if they see me.
2. For routine service, I try to stand there the whole day to get it all done in front of me (it's a huge physical and psychological battle) - they literally suck all the happiness out of me. But I also ensure that I suck all the happiness out of them - in the end, they don't feel like making money on my car and surrender.

Do keep us entertained on your unsolicited encounters with skoda...

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 2nd March 2013 at 09:39.
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 13:08   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had my first brush with the Skoda A.S.S this week. Yeti completed 6 months and was due for “free checkup”. I secure appointment and reach Autobahn’s Kurla service center.
These free check ups where not included in the service schedule till about a couple of years ago, when the service schedule was just one service every 15,000 kms or one year. I think it has been added as they might have felt that leaving the filters uncleaned in dusty Indian conditions could be detrimental to their cars. Till Feb 2011 customers got two free services (15k kms and 30k kms). From March 2011 onwards it is one free service and one free general check up. So one could say that the free check has been added for monetary reasons as well , as in the later years they will charge the customer for one service and one general check up every year.

Normally these general check ups don't take much time. THe last I got it done, I did not leave the centre and drove back in about an hour . They plug in the VAG diagnostic tool, check for errors, clean the filters, top up oil if necessary and that's it.

Quote:
Along with checkup I asked to change setting to display km/ltr instead of ltr/100 kms. The service associate had difficulty in understanding what am I talking about
That is too much to expect from these service advisors who jump from service centre to service centre like there's no tomorrow. During my first service when I had asked for DRLs to be activated, I first had to explain to him what is a DRL, then had to show him that the bulb was there and it was deactivated and that it can be done via the VAG COM cable and software that they have. As it turned out he had just joined ten days back. He ran in and brought some experienced technician who seemed to know what he was doing.

I think for changing the display to Km/ltr you have to change the country settings to Japan.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 15:23   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

Normally these general check ups don't take much time. THe last I got it done, I did not leave the centre and drove back in about an hour .
Wow! Just an hour! I only expected them to give me the car at the promised time. That was after 6 hours of me dropping the car to their center. You are right.. there is nothing much to do really for the free checkup.

Quote:
He ran in and brought some experienced technician who seemed to know what he was doing.
That's exactly what you would expect them to do.. we all started our jobs at some time and learnt things over period of time. As a team they need to cooperate better to serve the customer.

Quote:
I think for changing the display to Km/ltr you have to change the country settings to Japan.
This is exactly what I was looking for.. Next time I am there, I will stand besides the terminal and ask them to change country to Japan.

Thanks Santosh!
Old 3rd March 2013, 18:30   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

County setting to Japan?
Would it limit the max speed to 180?
Old 3rd March 2013, 19:19   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is exactly what I was looking for.. Next time I am there, I will stand besides the terminal and ask them to change country to Japan.

Thanks Santosh!
The workshop won't be able to do it. You will have to find someone with vag-com. Also try the Sewri workshop next time, its quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
County setting to Japan?
Would it limit the max speed to 180?
No it doesn't limit the speed, have been well over that.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 21:49   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
No it doesn't limit the speed, have been well over that.
That's good to know.
What's the point in knowing kmpl if it can not go fast...
Old 4th March 2013, 07:16   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

Backdrop. Me and a colleague of mine are close to buying the Yeti. Question in front of us is the choice between Ambition 4x2 and Ambition 4x4 (Elegance is ruled out).

I do a decent amount of off-roading (not the types which would necessitate a 4x4 though). Love driving out in the monsoons and doing long distance travels. Want a car that can take on most of the Indian turf.

I have test driven both these cars and find the 4x2 is peppier at less than 80km/hr speeds. Race from 60 to 100 km/hr is even but thereafter the 4x4 shows the difference with its higher state of tune.

Questions. Can the 4x2 take up decent amount of off-roading? Ever felt the lack of power (in relative terms) during long distance travel? And what upgrades have you considered for the ICE Head Unit?

Srini
ps I am upgrading from a Ford Fusion abused on all sorts of turf. Was a joy to ride.

Sorry I was out of town and have not been looking at this thread. Just saw it and now realize you have booked a 4x2. Congratulations!

If you ask me, it is more than adequate. A really peppy engine, front wheel drive and a powerful enough state of tune to take you out of most issues.

The Yeti is a versatile, tough, safety loaded, intelligently configured, comfortable, luxurious, stylish and well equipped soft roader. Perfect for the apologetic Indian road conditions on account of its set up, ground clearance, general proportions and of course the 4x4 helps at times.

While I would certainly agree that it can do some reasonable off road work, meaning drive along forest trails, climb up and go down on some very steep 45 or even 50 degree slope approaches, drive along snowy, ice bound roads and handle gravel, loose sand, slush and other similar surfaces with ease, I simply will never take it into water for wading about or into deep slush, mud, very wet rutted roads or extremely soft sandy conditions.

While I am sure there are instances where this versatile vehicle has coped with many things that you keep chucking at it, I personally feel that there are lots of electronics and other fiddlies in the vehicle and in any case it is quite an expensive vehicle, so I would not expose it un necessarily to extreme conditions.

I would however be absolutely happy taking it around an estate or on wet grassy tracks or other similar places where there is some base level kutcha road type infrastructure available and the conditions are not terribly over severe.

For really serious off road work, I would vastly prefer to use a purely mechanical old Gypsy or Mahindra type 4x4 jeep.

The 140bhp version which I have just never runs out of grunt - on the highways it is a real pleasure to drive.

On account of my general concerns with all things electronic and electrical, coupled with clear warranty violation related issues, I will never consider any kind of alteration of the head unit and other things of that kind.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 08:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
The moment I read the opening part of this post about the "free checkup" I started laughing...

Do keep us entertained on your unsolicited encounters with skoda...

Cheers!
that was fun.

Problem is when you learn that the service people are ignorant. Asking if Yeti is a petrol is just too much! I hope you did mail Skoda.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks