Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2013, 20:25   #16
BHPian

re: It's a VW Vento (Petrol Highline AT). EDIT: Sold!

Congrats! Well written report. Thanks!

How do you like the handling ?

I got used to the arm rest issue by putting my hand around the arm rest to operate the hand brake. No longer an irritant for me.

Last edited by pc73 : 31st January 2013 at 20:29.
pc73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 22:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post

I got used to the arm rest issue by putting my hand around the arm rest to operate the hand brake. No longer an irritant for me.
yes I also do that. The hank brake is really no longer an irritant.

Hayek I have a question for you. While changing from D/S to N or vice versa do you press the button on the gear lever? Is it recommended/needed?
Old 1st February 2013, 06:40   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73

How do you like the handling ?
The handling is great. I am not one of those who corners at high speeds, but handling is clearly one of the things that makes the Vento better than either the City, Verna or Sunny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
While changing from D/S to N or vice versa do you press the button on the gear lever? Is it recommended/needed?
There is no need to press the shift button while moving from N to D or vice versa. I have not yet engaged S on my Vento, that will happen only after 2,500 kms; however, I can move from D to S on the Superb without pressing the shift button.

One interesting observation. In my Superb, you cannot shift from either P or N to D unless the foot brake is pressed. However, in the Vento, that applies only for shifts from P to D; for N to D, you can shift without the foot brake being pressed. Does anyone know why that is the case?
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 17:56   #19
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations! And thanks for the well-written review.

To be frank, when I visited the VW Showroom, I approached the Vento a bit of negativity, probably with the thoughts that quality is not in the league of usual VW standards. But I was in for a pleasant surprise. For me, the quality levels are extremely good for a car at this price point and I will rate it as the best in the segment (the Rapid gets a close second place). I mean, the Jetta and Laura exudes a different level of charm, but those cars cost almost double compared to the Vento.

The simple, driver oriented dashboard lay-out was great, steering was of the right size, and the car felt spacious and airy. And the much discussed leatherette seats are actually quite good. It got nice feel and texture and should do the job well. The car I checked out in the showroom was a white Highline Petrol AT, and what I test drove later was a Highline TDI. The only negative for me was the TDI’s hard clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
The handling is great. I am not one of those who corners at high speeds, but handling is clearly one of the things that makes the Vento better than either the City, Verna or Sunny.
True, the steering is quite light, but does not give any scary / doubtful feeling. I felt quite comfortable when I moved from the New Fiesta to the Vento. It may not be oozing with feel, but is reasonably direct and car feels very well planted at high speeds.

Which car is better to drive in the city - the Superb DSG or the Vento AT?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 18:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Hayek and welcome to the Vento AT club!

You have captured the essence of the car very well in your report. One word of advice: don't baby the car by keeping revs below 2500 all the time. In fact you can run in an engine better by exposing it to varying rpm's for which you may need to rev it up on occasion. Maybe you can do it in the tiptronic mode or by planting your foot down on an occasional highway ride. Must warn you though, the yowl of the engine after kickdown may alarm you the first time

Also don't sweat the mileage. I drove in South Bombay peak hour taffic for about a week once and got sub-6 kmpl figured. Hit the highways a litle more and you will see a marked improvement.

You car has the steering mounted controls, RC310 head unit, leatherette seats and blackened headlamps that my 2010 model is missing. VW has added just the right elements to (in my opinion) an already very nice car to keep it fresh.

Wish you and your family a million happy miles in your new baby.

Last edited by noopster : 1st February 2013 at 18:57.
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 22:03   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Which car is better to drive in the city - the Superb DSG or the Vento AT?
Despite this being the Vento thread, I have to say that the Superb is much better - the instant shifts of the DSG box and the power of the 1.8 TSi make a huge difference. The Vento would struggle to shut down any gaps in traffic as quickly as the Superb can. But the amazing thing about the Vento is that for less than half the price of the Superb, you get a car that feels nearly as good on at least interior quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Congrats Hayek and welcome to the Vento AT club! One word of advice: don't baby the car by keeping revs below 2500 all the time. In fact you can run in an engine better by exposing it to varying rpm's for which you may need to rev it up on occasion... Must warn you though, the yowl of the engine after kickdown may alarm you the first time
Thanks Anoop, your thread was certainly an inspiration for me, as it has been for many a Vento AT buyer. I will try to take your advice - I do try to keep the rpms varying but don't like going to high revs in any case. Will have to do that kick-down when my wife is not around, I doubt she will be pleased to hear her baby scream.

Last edited by Hayek : 1st February 2013 at 22:18.
Old 3rd February 2013, 00:05   #22
BHPian

Congratulations Hayek, for the new acquisition. Wonderful review and I must say this does inspire first timers like us (am also working on my review of Laura TSI).

Vento is a nice car and with the recent upgrades, it surely is a complete car. Those headlamps look superb.

Congratulations once again for the 2nd European car at home.
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:38   #23
BHPian

Congrats on the car. Usually I don't like blue but this particular shade looks great on the Vento, and the Audi S4

If you don't need to press the button while shifting, then what is it for? I haven't driven an A/T ever.

Cheers
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
If you don't need to press the button while shifting, then what is it for? I haven't driven an A/T ever.
That button is definitely needed to shift to reverse (R) or park (P) gear. Correct me if I am wrong Hayek
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:09   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
I must say this does inspire first timers like us (am also working on my review of Laura TSI).
Waiting for your review to appear. Must say the 1.8 TSi is a fantastic engine, but for its oil habit in the early days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

That button is definitely needed to shift to reverse (R) or park (P) gear. Correct me if I am wrong Hayek
Absolutely right joslicx. It it needed to move out of P, to move back into P and to move into R from either P or N. effectively prevents you from accidentally putting the car into either reverse or park while driving.
Old 3rd February 2013, 22:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hayek, that's a very nice review! Congrats on the new car. Petrol + AT is sure starting to look like a very nice combo, especially with the traffic situations going from bad to worse in metros like Mumbai or Pune. These days while going to and coming back from office, every time my left knee starts paining doing clutch-brake, clutch-brake; I start thinking that my next car will be an automatic! I have never driven an automatic before, but I am sorely tempted to get one in the coming years.
Old 5th February 2013, 14:13   #27
BHPian

This thread was a joy to read, with a sort of human interest slant to it. Very wide range of cars considered-- small hatchbacks to 5-series Beemers, but not with a "cost is completely irrelevant" attitude.

Clearly you did not consider the used car market at all-- I'm guessing that's another personal preference?
Perakath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 17:01   #28
BHPian

Hi Hayek,

Nice review there. I like the choice of shade is well.
Quite right of you to go in for a Petrol with the Diesel & Petrol price gap shrinking now. I am yet to try the AT, but the petrol MT Vento was quite good. As compared to my mother's City, I found the interiors far superior in the Vento.

One request. Some more pics, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post

One interesting observation. In my Superb, you cannot shift from either P or N to D unless the foot brake is pressed. However, in the Vento, that applies only for shifts from P to D; for N to D, you can shift without the foot brake being pressed. Does anyone know why that is the case?
My experience with the Honda Accord AT tells me there is a need to press the brake lever only when shifting from P to D OR from P to R. D to N and back and R to N to D do not require the brake to be pressed.
Similar experience with the VW Passat AT as well.

Here's wishing loads of (s)miles per gallon!
Sam
Old 1st March 2013, 10:04   #29
BHPian

I searched for a long term ownership review (at least 20K one) on Vento Highline AT. Did not find anything on the forum. Any one can help or can some owners create one?
Old 1st March 2013, 11:01   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
I searched for a long term ownership review (at least 20K one) on Vento Highline AT. Did not find anything on the forum. Any one can help or can some owners create one?
Here you go.. Noopster's ownership thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...new-shoes.html
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks